cutiepiebabygirl

I had time on my hands this last weekend, but I got great results.

Prepooed with Vatika coconut oil / Dabur Amla Gold Hair Oil /Vatika Hair Fall control.
Pre-pooed for an hour under a plastic cap.
I cleansed my hair with Moroccan red clay.
Rinsed.
Applied Banana baby food/Amla powder/ Maka powder ( Obviously someone visited their Indian grocer.)
Left it on 2 hours.
Rinsed.
Applied Komaza Protein Strengthener for 30 minutes no plastic cap. (My hair was so defined at this point!!)
Rinsed.
Applied Joico Recovery Balm DC. (Worked out at gym for 90 minutes or so.)
Rinsed.
Mixed SheScenIt Coco Creme leave in/SheScentIt Honeybutter Cream moisturizer/JBCO/ Jane Carter Nourish and Shine. ( Alot - I know, I have to shellac it in.)
Sectioned my hair in 4-6 sections and applied mixture.
Sprayed APB refresher at the end. ( This is new, but I like it thus far).
Braided and went to bed with a silk scarf.
My hair was moisturized for almost 7 days!!!

The only thing I did in between was spray my hair nightly with APB refresher spray, apply silk scarf, and every other night apply a little JBCO to my edges.

I have gotten lazy with LOC method. Instead of layering I mix it all together and apply it at once. It's working so far and I don't have to worry about weighing down my fine strands.

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I had my first henna treatment. I mixed 1/2 a cup of Napur henna with 1 can of coconut milk. I let it sit for over 8 hours before applying it to my hair. I then let it sit in my hair for 4 hours (had to wash it out because we had visitors). After that I DC'd with NaturalleGrow's protein-free marshmallow root yaddah-yaddah DC.

So far this week I feel my hair is tangling a little less, is slightly more elongated, and has a slight red-brown tint (detectable in the sun).

I'm going to keep henna-ing to see if it continues to help my hair furl under (tangle) less.

cutiepiebabygirl

^^^ I do my 2nd henna treatment at the end of the month. The first time I was not impressed, but I only left it on 2 hours.

I'm doing an overnight treatment this time. I also add indigo to my powder. I love black/jet black hair.

I really want to try Infusium 23 leave in, but I'm trying to limit my purchases. I just bought a bunch of hair stuff this past weekend, but I'll probably pick it up before I wash again in 10 days.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Type 4a, b and C, very Fine

What are your staples/holy grails?
Protein neutral filler
Henna

What gives you the best curl definition?
Proper protein balance

Whats your favorite

• Gel-AIA Smoothing Gel
  • moisturizer-water
  • DC-Vatika henna
  • leave in-none
  • Oils-ceramides, myrrh, evoo
  • edge control-see gel
  • shampoo-SM anyone
  • co-wash-AIA cleansing pudding
What have been your most effective length retention methods?
  • Regular seek and destroy ssk
  • Dusting

YvetteWithJoy

On break
What y'all using for conditioner?

I have not tried tons of products, so I can't say if these are the best of what is available, but I use:

1. DevaCurl Decadence One Condition shower-steamed-in and left in almost every day under whatever styler I wear

2. Shea Moisture's hipo masque to deep condition for moisture and to detangle

3. NaturelleGrow's protein-free Marshmallow Root and so-and-so DC to deep condition for moisture and to detangle

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Second henna treatment complete.

Thus time mixed 3/4 cup of henna with 1 can of coconut milk. This thicker paste was much less messy. Detangled prior for 2 hours (with TerraVeda's Quinoa DC), and placed in 8 twists, then washed out DC, twists intact.

Wore for 8.5 hours. Rinsed out with just water. Hair has more tint. Feels stronger.

Feeling a little hair fatigued at the moment. Will wash this morning with DevaCurl Decadence No Poo, shower steam in One Condition, saturate with Kinky Curly Knot Today, moisturize with The Original Moxie Shape Shifter, and style with Kinky Curly Curling Custard.

SheWalks

I usually do a long wash Saturday morning but I want my day tomorrow so I'm doing it tonight. I shampooed my scalp, used daily fix on my hair and followed up with protein. Decided to use neutral protein filler straight from the bottle. I debated throwing nexxus polymedic over it but eh I'll experiment with one thing at a time. It hasn't been impressing me when mixed with other conditioners, but I don't think I gave it a fair shot. I sprayed maybe 2.5oz all over my head and I'm sitting in it now. After this I'm going to either throw oyin hair dew in or jessicurl too shea do some braids and head to bed.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Had an awesome, awesome wash-and-go day the other day!

Process:
1. Wash: VO5 clarifying shampoo
2. Detangle with rinse-out conditioner: V05 smoothing conditioner
3. Rinse-out conditioner that I steamed in (with shower steam) and left in: DevaCurl Decadence One Condition
4. Leave-in conditioner that I praying-hand-method'ed into my hair then flashed under the shower water to soak in: Camille Rose Naturals Curl Love Milk
5. Gel that I praying-hand-method'ed in: Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker

I diffused my hair and loooooooved it!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Today:
Cowashed with Curl Junkie Daily Fix with sprangz in my hair
Clay Treatment : Jakeala Honey Hair Thang+ Added more Rhassoul clay & water to make a sticky treatment that also clumps my curls ( left that in for about 2 hours because I had things to do) Took sprangz out to fit under tiny plastic cap
Used Gliss Kur Conditioner (this has a good amount of protein in it and no cones)
Finger detangled with conditioner and added sprangz back to hair
Rinsed with ACV + cold water

Used Wetline + KCNT
Dryed under hooded dryer my hair was hard from the gel but I left it alone, if it's hard in the morning I'll add some oil
Currently sitting around in a locsoc in an attempt to pineapple?

My hair felt great today, it was soft but still strong and my hair looked great before & after drying. We'll see what tomorrow brings

@kodochax, how are you, lady?

Would you mind reviewing the Jekeala Honey Hair Thang? It contains silk amino acids. Do you consider it a protein treatment, or would I need to add something like the Sally's Colorful Neutral Protein Filler (wording?) to it?

Back story: I'm realizing that no matter what, my hair is going to tangle and web unless I constantly straighten it. I'll likely relax it a week before Christmas, since supposedly BKTs and texlaxers are problematic. In the meanwhile, I want to use products that perform multiple tasks so that I can reduce my wash and go steps to 3 max. I also want to reduce the steps in my overall regimen: Having a lot of steps isn't preventing my tangles. No use in wasting the time and money on lots of product. ;)

Someone recently shared a hair video with me in which the lady used a clay mask to cover a lot of steps, and that got me to thinking: If I used a protein-infusing clay mask with particular ingredients, I might be able to seriously shorten my wash and go's: clay, moisturizing leave-in conditioner, gel or cream or oil, done. I wouldn't even have to really do separate protein treatments if I did it while clay washing.

I am also looking at these Jakeala products:
1. Beer Conditioner: https://www.etsy.com/listing/294751473/beer-conditioner-hair-natural-kinky
2. Apple Cider Vinegar Cleanser: https://www.etsy.com/listing/176198814/apple-cider-vinegar-cleanser-shampoo

I'm hoping if I use products that help condition, infuse protein, close my cuticles, etc. then perhaps I can simplify my healthy hair care until I relax my hair.

Thanks for any insight you might be able to share!

GGsKin

@YvetteWithJoy I have a fairly short main routine of water rinse, clay and gel (I don't use leave-ins on my hair but I do condition before my clay, if I feel like it). It's still long for me because I like to take my time and I don't use combs often.

I make my own clay mask adding silk amino acids- and can tell the difference when I leave them out. I still use a protein conditioner because SAA are a mild protein for me and leave my hair feeling smooth.

I've never tried a ready made clay mask.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
What moisturizers have you guys been using lately?

Great Q, @Royalq.

What do you use?

FIRST PLACE for me:
I'm sure others will chime in, but right now the one reliable moisturizer that just never fails and ALWAYS leaves my hair UBER moisturized is Oyin Hair Dew. I dislike the smell (it's not bad, I just don't want to smell like that bakery/cookie smell). But the smell does dissipate after a little while. I haven't found anything more moisturizing. Nada. :smile:

SECOND PLACE for me:
In second place for me is a rinse-out conditioner that I steam in (with shower steam) and leave in: DevaCurl Decadence One Condition. Softens and moisturizes.

PLAN TO TRY:
I still plan to try Qhemet's detangling ghee and Komaza's Califia moisturizer (sample of the latter is in the mail).

Royalq

@YvetteWithJoy

Im def going to check out oyin when i take my kinky twists out.

-The only one ive tried that really imparted great moisture was Qhemet Bilogics Amla heavy cream. Literally 3-4 days of moisture. The reason i stopped using it is because i thought it made my hair too poofy. For the year i used it i coukdnt do and out styles. No twist outs, bantu knots, braid outs, anything. Now that i realize im high porosity and i live in humid south florida im not sure if it was the amla cream or simply that my cuticles are lifted and are susceptible to absorbing moisture, or part of humidity. I may or may not revist it.
-Back when i was a twa in NYC (much less humidity) i was using Taliah waajid Curly curl cream with much sucess. I had to moisturize every day but it was great moisture and gave defined and elongated curls.
-Sta sof fro is another nice one ive tried living in florida and it reacts the same way as amla but with about 2-3 days of moisture.

I want to try oyin hair dew, As i am double butter cream because i think it might me a nice low cost dupe for qhemet amla cream, oyin whipped pudding and another one i forgot i think its called super define.

Things my hair hated
-cantu every thing. Legit gives my hair like an hour of moisture
-camille rose nature almond jai. My hair felt super dry no matter how much i applied.
-qhemet burdock butter root, too light and not enough moisture

YvetteWithJoy

On break
:wave:

Komaza protein treatment arrived today, along with a tiny sample of the Aloe gel and the Califia moisturizer. All smell divine.

I'm feeling PRETTY PEACEFUL: I am now officially DONE with purchasing or trialing everything that was on my list of things I must try before permitting myself to re-relax my hair (relaxer appointment is scheduled for December 16, 2016). I feel like a HUGE weight is lifted off of my shoulders. SO much mental space is now freed up. :smile:

An another note: I've been encouraged to try the MHM specifically as originally recommended to see if that helps with my hair's webbing and tangling. I've decided it's a worth a go before relaxing, especially if it does help with all of that . . . especially now that I have figured out how to style my wngo's such that I love my hair.

The only thing: Before doing it, I need to do a full detangle. That's like 2-3 hours of life/time. Deep breath in, deep breath out. :smile:

SheWalks

@kodochax, how are you, lady?

Would you mind reviewing the Jekeala Honey Hair Thang? It contains silk amino acids. Do you consider it a protein treatment, or would I need to add something like the Sally's Colorful Neutral Protein Filler (wording?) to it?

Back story: I'm realizing that no matter what, my hair is going to tangle and web unless I constantly straighten it. I'll likely relax it a week before Christmas, since supposedly BKTs and texlaxers are problematic. In the meanwhile, I want to use products that perform multiple tasks so that I can reduce my wash and go steps to 3 max. I also want to reduce the steps in my overall regimen: Having a lot of steps isn't preventing my tangles. No use in wasting the time and money on lots of product. ;)

Someone recently shared a hair video with me in which the lady used a clay mask to cover a lot of steps, and that got me to thinking: If I used a protein-infusing clay mask with particular ingredients, I might be able to seriously shorten my wash and go's: clay, moisturizing leave-in conditioner, gel or cream or oil, done. I wouldn't even have to really do separate protein treatments if I did it while clay washing.

I am also looking at these Jakeala products:
1. Beer Conditioner: https://www.etsy.com/listing/294751473/beer-conditioner-hair-natural-kinky
2. Apple Cider Vinegar Cleanser: https://www.etsy.com/listing/176198814/apple-cider-vinegar-cleanser-shampoo

I'm hoping if I use products that help condition, infuse protein, close my cuticles, etc. then perhaps I can simplify my healthy hair care until I relax my hair.

Thanks for any insight you might be able to share!
Hey! Sorry for the late response, I don't get on these forums much during the week.
Nope it's not a protein treatment. You'd definitely need to add protein to it to make it such.

Old version- 100% not a repurchase you have to doctor this product up it's no good on it's own it's pretty much meant to be mixed with other products. I mixed more clay into mine which was amazing for my hair but to spend $15 and add more clay to it is too much for me. I'd rebuy only if it was deeply discounted.

New version- I only got a sample size of this(2oz) and I liked it but I would honestly need the entire 8 oz to sufficiently cover my entire head because it was so light so definitely not a rebuy for me.

I've been thinking about doing the same with protein & clay but I'm leaning away from it only because I spend a good amount of time rinsing the clay out to make sure it's all gone and I've heard you don't want to rinse your hair too much after using protein as you're basically rinsing it away.

My wash days now go shampoo(scalp),rinse, co wash (hair),rinse, clay, rinse, protein, rinse, conditioner, sprangz. So I only rinse my hair once instead of twice (protein,rinse,condition,rinse)

Protein & clay has helped with pretty much all of my tangling issues. I actually detangle with my clay in and my detangling session isn't long at all. I try to finger detangle during all of my steps tho.

Instead of buying a bunch of clay treatments I recommend picking up some sodium bentonite or rhassoul and if you want to get a bit fancy add some coconut milk, honey, protein, ect.

Don't give up yet, give yourself some more time with your hair. If you are tired and need to put it away for a couple of months do it. If you want straight hair relax it, if you want to relax because you think your hair is too hard to do, don't relax it you'll just want to go natural again later and then you're back at square one.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hey! Sorry for the late response, I don't get on these forums much during the week.
Nope it's not a protein treatment. You'd definitely need to add protein to it to make it such.

Old version- 100% not a repurchase you have to doctor this product up it's no good on it's own it's pretty much meant to be mixed with other products. I mixed more clay into mine which was amazing for my hair but to spend $15 and add more clay to it is too much for me. I'd rebuy only if it was deeply discounted.

New version- I only got a sample size of this(2oz) and I liked it but I would honestly need the entire 8 oz to sufficiently cover my entire head because it was so light so definitely not a rebuy for me.

I've been thinking about doing the same with protein & clay but I'm leaning away from it only because I spend a good amount of time rinsing the clay out to make sure it's all gone and I've heard you don't want to rinse your hair too much after using protein as you're basically rinsing it away.

My wash days now go shampoo(scalp),rinse, co wash (hair),rinse, clay, rinse, protein, rinse, conditioner, sprangz. So I only rinse my hair once instead of twice (protein,rinse,condition,rinse)

Protein & clay has helped with pretty much all of my tangling issues. I actually detangle with my clay in and my detangling session isn't long at all. I try to finger detangle during all of my steps tho.

Instead of buying a bunch of clay treatments I recommend picking up some sodium bentonite or rhassoul and if you want to get a bit fancy add some coconut milk, honey, protein, ect.

Don't give up yet, give yourself some more time with your hair. If you are tired and need to put it away for a couple of months do it. If you want straight hair relax it, if you want to relax because you think your hair is too hard to do, don't relax it you'll just want to go natural again later and then you're back at square one.

I'll type a proper thanks later (not a lot of power left on the cell :smile:).

MANY THANKS! Super informative.

Had my first Komaza treatment this morning. Life changing! :lol:

SheWalks

I'm absolutely loving jessicurl too shea I've completely finished the bottle. I use it to soften and moisturize my hair after a protein treatment and the best part is I can leave it afterwards and it allows me to detangle! I braided+put sprangz in my hair to stretch dried it some then threw it in a puff so I could go out its been a couple hours and my hair is doing great. I had to run to sallys and buy another bottle for next week. I will be buying the 32oz on curl mart when they run a sale and I will retire my curl junkie smoothing conditioner.

After my workout tomorrow I'll twist with apb leave in+oyin shine and define.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@kodochax and @cutiepiebabygirl:

I just wanted to say thank you! I did a Komaza protein treatment and my hair is transformed!!! It's stronger and healthier. An it's taking product so much better. Thank you for reiterating the Komaza treatment, kodochax!

Cutiepie: After the Komaza treatment, that Shea Moisture Fruit Fusion Coconut Water Masque? OMGeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I rinsed it out and my hair was MOISTURIZED! First time EVER that a DC actually worked with long-lasting effect, and this one REALLY worked. Uber wonderful moisture. Nice scent. Thank you for recommending it. :clap: You were so right about that DC. The bomb, bomb, bomb!!!

So, now I have no need to try any of the 'cone-containing DCs that I was starting to feel I might have to try. Now, I will probably try the Bee Mine deep conditioner because of its reputation and ingredients, but I feel I have ZERO need to trial any more DCs. Woot!

I'm really grateful, ladies. Muwah! :kiss:

@BlackMasterPiece, thank you so much for starting this thread! :heart:

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Hi ladies! Fellow HiPo here and wanted to share and also learn, been off the hair board for a looong time and getting back into the swing of things:

What are your staples/holy grails? Layering heavy products, frequent protein and DCs, indirect heat, protective styling
What gives you the best curl definition? Relaxed, n/a

Whats your favorite
  • Gel - Eco Styler olive oil
  • moisturizer: rosewater
  • DC - ORS Replenishing, Keracare Humecto
  • leave in Keracare leave in, Salem 21, Redken anti-snap (new love) keracare creme hairdress
  • Oils: rice bran, evoo, castor, sweet almond, hempseed ...and coconut---as a strengthening pre poo only any other use = hard hair
  • shampoo - keracare detangling
  • co-wash - not a cowasher since being relaxed
What have been your most effective length retention methods? As stated above keeping hair hydrated and that moisture sealed. Keeping direct heat to a minimum.

Love me some protein :yep: I keep a range of strengths depending on what my hair needs. In no particular order:

Aphogee 2 minute
ORS hair Mayo
TIGI Dumb blonde reconstructor
Joico K-Pak reconstuctor
Redken anti-snap deep restorative treat
Aphogee 2 step

I also do a lot of treatments that fill the holes in the cuticle. Apart from protein, I found henna, cassia, clear rinses, and my latest kick, fenugreek pre poo masks really help seal in whatever I condition with. I also do diluted rice vinegar rinses after shampoo and after DC.

Best thing for me keeping breakage SSKs and splits at bay is rollersetting. Hands down. I get lazy and do blowdry with tension from time to time but nothing comes close to a good ol rollerset on big rollers. I'm just uncoordinted and lazy . Trying to make the effort to do it every wash now.

cutiepiebabygirl

@kodochax and @cutiepiebabygirl:

I just wanted to say thank you! I did a Komaza protein treatment and my hair is transformed!!! It's stronger and healthier. An it's taking product so much better. Thank you for reiterating the Komaza treatment, kodochax!

Cutiepie: After the Komaza treatment, that Shea Moisture Fruit Fusion Coconut Water Masque? OMGeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I rinsed it out and my hair was MOISTURIZED! First time EVER that a DC actually worked with long-lasting effect, and this one REALLY worked. Uber wonderful moisture. Nice scent. Thank you for recommending it. :clap: You were so right about that DC. The bomb, bomb, bomb!!!

So, now I have no need to try any of the 'cone-containing DCs that I was starting to feel I might have to try. Now, I will probably try the Bee Mine deep conditioner because of its reputation and ingredients, but I feel I have ZERO need to trial any more DCs. Woot!

I'm really grateful, ladies. Muwah! :kiss:

@BlackMasterPiece, thank you so much for starting this thread! :heart:

:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

Happy for you, Lord knows it's hard finding products that work!

prettywhitty

I'm a 3c in at the nape and very front of my hair. The rest is 4A with the crown being 4B. I have a lot of hair, but the strands are fine and I just realized my hair is highly porous reading this thread. I am at BSL.
With that said, I am in the process of streamlining my hair regimen. So far, I am using Jamaican Black castor oil to prepoo. I follow up with shampooing and deep conditioning. After I rinse out I place in 15-20 twists for a twistout later in the week.
I'm still working on products. I colored my hair last year and those strands are even more porous than the rest of my hair.
I'm debating on coloring it dark brown/off black. I'm enjoying reading through the thread.

cutiepiebabygirl

My last henna treatment went better. I left it in overnight.

I'm really enjoying TGIN products. They're a little expensive. I usually buy from Sally's when they're Buy 2, Get 1 free and stack it with coupons.

cutiepiebabygirl

I have been testing out Infusium 23 as my liquid leave in and I can't tell if it's good or bad. :lachen:

Honestly, I can't tell if it's helping or not. You get a lot of product for cheap. I will keep it in the rotation.

Also I revisited wheat germ oil, I forgot how much hair loved it, when I was relaxed.

I pre-pooed with a mix of wheat germ oil/avocado oil/JBCO and my hair was butta!

I decided to seal with the same oil mix and I think I'm in love. :2inlove::2inlove::2inlove:

BlackMasterPiece

Just thawed some cubes and did an overnight Henna treatment, rinsed thoroughly, then co-washed and detangled with VO5 passion fruit moisture milk. My hair had that post-protein stiffness and the VO5 reversed that soooo easily, my hair feels so soft yet strong right now. Now I have to decide what I'm doing next with my hair, leaning towards a braidout.

I had been really good with regularly oiling my hair the past two weeks, my strands have been loving coconut + evoo.