Smiley79

What do you guys think of Aphogee 2 minute versus Komaza protein strengthener? I don't feel like using the Two Step, its too messy and my hair has gotten longer so it doesn't dry like it did when I was a twa.

I don't think they are in the same league. My high-po fragile hair needs heavy duty protein. Komaza is just that; you do feel the difference in the strength of your hair. I think it's in the same category as Aphogee 2 step, whereas the 2 minute is a milder protein. It works very well for a lot of people, but my hair just needs more.
My only issue with Komaza is that I cannot purchase it on the ground. I plan to compare ORS Hair Mayo and Aphogee 2 Step to see which gives me similar results since both are easily found in stores.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I don't think they are in the same league. My high-po fragile hair needs heavy duty protein. Komaza is really good; you feel the difference in the strength of your hair. My only issue is that I cannot purchase it on the ground. I plan to compare ORS Hair Mayo and Aphogee 2 Step to see which gives me similar results; both are easily found in stores.

This is my problem with Komaza as well. If I need a protein treatment, then Komaza is amazing. But if I don't need one -- but think I might -- and apply Komaza, I get strange-feeling, rubbery hair.

Anyone else have this experience?

The Komaza protein treatment is the only Komaza product I order. If I could find a replacement for it, I could cease paying Komaza shipping fees. (Whoot!) I order Jakeala products regularly and I order the Soultanicals Hair Glide regularly. And Sally's Color Neutral Protein Filler is available on the ground. I'm hoping to find a great protein treatment either from Jakeala, Soultanicals, or in the CNPF.

I've been WAITING to try to obtain the new Shea Moisture protein treatment masque, but I only see it at random online stores and not OTG yet. Might as well stay with Komaza Protein until (hopefully) it's available OTG. I'm really hoping it's good. SM's masque that do my hair well REALLY do my hair well.

Smiley79

This is my problem with Komaza as well. If I need a protein treatment, then Komaza is amazing. But if I don't need one -- but think I might -- and apply Komaza, I get strange-feeling, rubbery hair.

The Komaza protein treatment is the only Komaza product I order. If I could find a replacement for it, I could cease paying Komaza shipping fees. (Whoot!) I order Jakeala products regularly and I order the Soultanicals Hair Glide regularly. And Sally's Color Neutral Protein Filler is available on the ground. I'm hoping to find a great protein treatment either from Jakeala, Soultanicals, or in the CNPF.

I've been WAITING to try to obtain the new Shea Moisture protein treatment masque, but I only see it at random online stores and not OTG yet. Might as well stay with Komaza Protein until (hopefully) it's available OTG. I'm really hoping it's good. SM's masque that do my hair well REALLY do my hair well.

I may be wrong, but I believe the only protein conditioner from Shea Moisture is the JBCO line, correct?
The ladies who recommended Komaza Care Protein to me compared it to Aphogee 2 step (just less messy). I hear a lot about Joico as well.

YvetteWithJoy

On break

LavenderMint

I ordered some babassu oil last week and I'm eyeing some kokum butter as well, both for use as pre-wash oil treatment since they actually get absorbed by the hair shaft & won't break me out like coconut oil. Wash day this week is Thursday. Excited to see how it feels.

cutiepiebabygirl

Yes, my hair feels coated and rubber-like with the Komaza, but after I style and LLCO, the feeling is gone and my hair seems fine.

janiebaby

What is everyone doing about their ends?

Update: I've been moisturizing/oiling my ends every other day. I know y'all may be looking like "duh" but I really don't like putting stuff in my hair at all.

I'm also about to get my hair done again and it's been a week instead of 2 like I was pushing for but that's bc I seriously need to dye my hair and can't take it anymore.

I also forgot to mention that I revisited Devacurl Decadence a few weeks ago and liked it.

vevster

I may be wrong, but I believe the only protein conditioner from Shea Moisture is the JBCO line, correct?
The ladies who recommended Komaza Care Protein to me compared it to Aphogee 2 step (just less messy). I hear a lot about Joico as well.

SM JBCO deep conditioner and Leave In is my holy grail combo for a braid or twist out.

Aggie

Would anyone recommend the Aphogee 2 minute (not the 2 step) after a color treatment?
Color treatments are pretty drying so please use a moisturizing DC afterwards. I know for sure that Neutral Protein Filler is great with color applications so this should be alright since it's a pretty mild protein. Maybe others can chime in as well.

janiebaby

Color treatments are pretty drying so please use a moisturizing DC afterwards. I know for sure that Neutral Protein Filler is great with color applications so this should be alright since it's a pretty mild protein. Maybe others can chime in as well.

I didn't have time to stop and buy this but used the Aphogee. My hair looks a lil dull but that sometimes happens with me and protein. I'm overall pleased with my hair's progress these past few months. Last time I dyed my hair was 11/5 ... Next time I won't wait as long. I'll set my calendar for 5 weeks from today.

janiebaby

I may finally be ready to post my products....Nothing holy grail yet

Shampoo: Redken frizz dismiss
Conditioner: Garnier Fructise Damage Remedy, L'Oreal Damage Repair Balm, Devacurl One Condition Decadence (not crazy about the smell)
Deep Conditioner: SM High Porosity (only used 1x and that was with heat) used 2x as of 1/15 and I like it alot
Protein: Aphogee 2 minute (like how it defines and softens my hair)
Heat Protectant: Tresseme
Finishing Spray: Motions Conditioning Spray (smells good and leaves hair soft)
Leave In: TGIN Green Tea Leave In
Leave In: Nourish and Shine for blowouts

I'm committing to using up these products before I move on so I'll just keep a running list of what I see posted that I may wanna give a go later:

1) Neutral Protein Filler

Last edited:

cutiepiebabygirl

I BC'ed again!

I've been wanting a do- over since April of last year, but I kept babying my hair and trying different things.

That actually worked, my NG has been growing and I noticed it was a lot healthier and fuller than my ends.

I now know what products work for my hair, do's and don'ts for my hair, etc.

I decided today on a whim to chop it all off and start fresh.

The first time I bc'ed (Oct 2014), I had no clue what I was doing. I thought it would be easy, since I learned how to care for my relaxed and grew it to WL.

Yeah no....all that trial and error just left me with a lot of mechanical/structural damage.

So excited about starting over. (Sorry no pics...too lazy to document. :click:)

Pygmy_puff

I BC'ed again!

I've been wanting a do- over since April of last year, but I kept babying my hair and trying different things.

That actually worked, my NG has been growing and I noticed it was a lot healthier and fuller than my ends.

I now know what products work for my hair, do's and don'ts for my hair, etc.

I decided today on a whim to chop it all off and start fresh.

The first time I bc'ed (Oct 2014), I had no clue what I was doing. I thought it would be easy, since I learned how to care for my relaxed and grew it to WL.

Yeah no....all that trial and error just left me with a lot of mechanical/structural damage.

So excited about starting over. (Sorry no pics...too lazy to document. :click:)

Congratulations!! :cheers:Doesn't it feel so good to finally get rid of the damaged ends and start fresh? Especially when you have a good game plan in place and are ready to go! How long is your hair now? How are you planning on styling it at your new length? :clap:

cutiepiebabygirl

Congratulations!! :cheers:Doesn't it feel so good to finally get rid of the damaged ends and start fresh? Especially when you have a good game plan in place and are ready to go! How long is your hair now? How are you planning on styling it at your new length? :clap:

OMG! Why did I put it off for so long??!! I felt so much better afterwards.

My 1st BC, I had no emotion. This time...I felt free. No lie.

I chopped to an awkward length, not a TWA but the length when it starts to grow out. I will continue to protective style with wigs and box braids, my hair loooooves low manip.

LavenderMint

Hey ladies! How are you using aloe vera juice? I was looking through my old hair notes and came across the Kimmaytube leave-in recipe; I wrote it down but never used it.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hey ladies! How are you using aloe vera juice? I was looking through my old hair notes and came across the Kimmaytube leave-in recipe; I wrote it down but never used it.

In the beginning of my HHJ I tried to do AVJ rinses a couple of times.

Someone just recently shared with me Chime's moisturizing spritz recipe that contains AVJ. Once I get back home from vacationing, I plan to start trying it as the L in my L-C-O method.

Below is a video of Chime discussing it (starting at time stamp 0:59), along with a quote of the LHCF poster who first hipped me to it.

I'm going to start out trying this recipe/mix:
  • 60% water . . . 120 ml
  • 30% glycerin . . . 60 ml
  • 5% aloe vera juice . . . 10 ml
  • 5% penetrating oil (probably grape seed oil for the ceramides) . . . 10 ml
That should yield 200 ml of spritz, i.e. about 6.8 ounces. I'll refrigerate it, as AVJ spoils. My hair loves glycerin, so I'm excited to trial this. :smile:

I'll be watching for others' replies!

------------

Ive been using a moisturizing spritz from haircrush/chime that has gotten me out of dry hair hell.
She talks abt it at the one minute mark
I take my spray bottle and add 60% water, 30% glycerin, and the last 10% is half aloe and half oil. Been doing it for several months so far and the results have made me extremely happy w my hair's health.
Mix them a batch of this spritz so they can use it when u leave

Last edited:

NinasLongAmbition

Many are, there seem to be several ways to determine porosity, I'm basing my porosity on the behavior of my hair which seems to correspond to the descriptions of hipo hair ie. it absorbs moisture easily and loses it just as easily, it absorbs products readily even without heat, loves protein like henna or aphogee, loves aloe vera etc. I tried the float test once and couldn't get a conclusive answer, I might try it again.
Which aphogee do you use 2 step or 2 min?

SheWalks

Haven't been here in awhile. Doing my same wash day routine.
(Once a week) Shampoo scalp, cowash with daily fix, clay treatment (bentonite, coconut milk,water, a bit of honey & a bit of citric acid), protein treatment (nexxus polymedic + neutral protein filler) . Rinse and condition with jessicurl too shea (which I leave in), detangle with wide tooth comb. Apply leave in while styling. My main styles are twist outs, flat twist outs and when I can't style my hair I high puff. I'm not into protective styling my hair is always out and free since I chopped. So I moisturize my hair every day to every other day, I also retwist every other day.

I bought some hydrolyzed keratin from essential wholesale, it smells terrible but I plan on mixing it up with my jessicurl too shea and see if I can just leave it in. I'm also going to try to mix up my own protein treatment. My hair simply doesn't function without a proper protein treatment so I don't necessarily want to rely on commercial products (because of formulation changes, availability and price). Nexxus & neutral are affordable but these companies could discontinue them at any time, and natural products are simply too expensive. I'll use about half of an 8oz bottle and my hair isn't even long yet.

For now I'll continue with my nexxus + neutral mix as it works amazingly well. When I have the time I'm going to buy other proteins (collagen, silk ect) to mix up and try on my hair.

As far as leave in/stylers goes, camille rose curl love, moisture butter have been my staples.

I'm staying away from henna for now because I really want to just continue to learn how my hair works in its 100% natural state. My hair is so much better than it was this time last year and it's definitely growing so I'm going to continue my clay+protein regimen throughout this new year because it hasn't failed me yet..

trclemons

I use it as an overnight pre-poo spritz. The spritz also contains water, Infusium 23, essential oil & vitamin B.

GGsKin

Early in my journey, I tried the Kimmaytube leave-in recipe with shop bought aloe vera juice and it left my hair super hard and dry. Recently, I've trialled it again and been left with soft, moisturised and defined hair. This time round I grind up fresh leaf. I've poured the juice over my scalp/ hair after clay washing.

On Friday, I made and used a hair lotion with 1 leaf, hibiscus powder and tea, xanthan gum, half a squirt of KCKT, about the same of soultanicals afrotastic curl elastic, grapeseed jojoba oils. Today my hair feels soft and moisturised.

naturalyogini

From the As I am website. I was going to try the products until I saw these ph levels

As I Am® Curl Clarity Shampoo pH 5.50
As I Am® Cleansing Pudding+ pH 4.50
As I Am® Coconut Cowash Cleansing Conditioner pH 5.50
As I Am® Hydration Elation® Intensive Conditioner pH 5.50
As I Am® Leave-In Conditioner pH 5.50
As I Am® Detangling Conditioner pH 6.50
As I Am® Curling Jelly pH 4.50
As I Am® Twist Defining Cream pH 6.50
As I Am® Double Butter Cream pH 5.50
As I Am® CocoShea Whip pH 3.50
As I Am® Moisture Milk pH 5.00
As I Am® Coco Shea Spray pH 5.50
As I Am® So Much Moisture!TM pH 6.0
As I Am® Smoothing Gel pH 5.50

janiebaby

Used Nourish and Shine for my blowout and :yep: finally found a use for it. It draws moisture to my hair making it poofy so I can't use this while my hair is dry. On wet hair you can see it puff too but after blowdrying it leaves a nice sheen.

SheWalks

Been playing around with adding pure hydrolyzed keratin to my conditioner instead of doing a separate protein treatment. So far so good :D. My hair is holding on to moisture well & I've been shaving about an hour off wash day so I'm saving time & money :trampoline:. I add about 2 capfuls of hydrolyzed keratin to 50 pumps of jessicurl too shea (I'll do real measurements later). It changes the consistency of the conditioner but it works just fine. Just ordered some hydrolyzed silk from lotioncrafter to continue experimenting with . With this method I'll be able to try mhm/wash & go this summer.:wiggle: