"What Not To Wear" Stylist Creates Beautiful Finger-Curls on Black Hair

PinkPeony

trimbride said:
Thank you so much, I have learned so much from this site and I started to experiment with the french roll after I saw a couple of members like you ;) with those beautiful french roll & flexi8 siggy pics:)

I just bought an inexpensive brooch from TG Max or Ross and pinned it then sew it to an ouchless hair elastic. I placed the hair elastic around my finished bun.

The charm is from Sally's beauty supply. It is a hair comb. The individual peices bend to curl around your french roll. I LOVE it!!! I bought about 6 of them in case I lose them or they change color from BT:lol:

They are really inexpensive too which is a plus

Like me?I think you might are confusing me with someone... unless you mean my *NappyNape* pic:lol:
Thank you so much for the info I guess I'll have to make a trip to Sally's then:)

Radianthealth

ella said:
Like me?I think you might are confusing me with someone... unless you mean my *NappyNape* pic:lol:
Thank you so much for the info I guess I'll have to make a trip to Sally's then:)

Yup that's the one!!! I was like:( "I wanna show my nappynape too"

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Isis said:
Did anyone see the episode of What Not To Wear on TLC Tuesday of a pretty black lawyer with type 3C looking hair? She didn't know what to do with it so she mainly kept her natural curls tied back in a scrunchie.

When time came for the stylist to work on her hair, she admitted she was nervous and didn't know if he could do black hair. The main stylist on the show (who happens to be white) told her black hair texture should be celebrated and he would make it look better. :)

OMG, this man did an excellent job with her hair! He put some kind of cream on her hair after coloring (she had some grays at the top), washing and conditioning it. Then he twisted locks of her hair around his finger in 1/2 inch sections which he said will eliminate all frizz. She was left with beautiful shoulder-length, shiny, fat spiral curls around her head with lots of body! And she was so happy! I was happy with her! :yay: When she met with Stacey and Clinton again, wearing her new clothes they kept commenting on her hair (Clinton couldn't keep his hands out of it).

Later, she had to prepare to meet her friends and family with her new look. She made a mistake the first time with her hair so she started over by washing it. While her hair was wet, she applied that cream and finger curled it just like he showed her. It looked pretty good when she was done.

Did anyone see this episode? What kind of cream do you think the stylist used? Have you ever finger-curled your hair before?

I saw it! I was happy for her too. I don't remember the products either though. Sorry.

Isis

nubianqt86 said:
I saw it! I was happy for her too. I don't remember the products either though. Sorry.
Thanks anyway. I'm glad you saw it! :) I don't think he elaborated on the products but he did say "cream". I think she said "cream" also towards the end when she was trying to do it herself. It must have been some kind of a styling cream maybe with cones or something like the IC Hair Polisher that Nice & Easy mentioned.

Isis

betty-boo said:
I tried this on my mum's natural hair which is 3A/3B and it worked. As someone said before, these are called finger coils or one-strand twists and I learned to do it, from doing a search on this site!! Thank God for this site! I think that these other threads show that it can be done on 4b hair & advise what to use.

I used IC fantasia's Hair polisher styling gel and it came out really well. First you end up with a coil and then you can just tease it out if you wish for beautiful spirals. I'm sure that the size of the curl depends on the size of the implement you're wrapping around it, though I've only tried my fingers.
I was so surprised how easy it was and quickly the curl formed. Because I didn't believe it could! But it was so pretty.
Thanks for the info Betty-boo! I didn't do a search on this site for finger coils, I'll have to do that. :yep:

Isis

Divalicious said:
Awwww, I missed this episode, but Nick is they type of stylist I would love to have. He's really attentive and knows what he's doing. When I watch makeover shows I always pay close attention when black women are on.
Yes, Nick is great. :yep: I would probably break down and have him do my hair! (maybe);)

Isis

DozenRoses99 said:
I love it when Nick does these finger coils! He has actually done this style on at least 2 other ladies. One lady was a very short (under 4'11'', I think) teacher who had almost waistlength 3c/3b hair. He cut a few inches because he said she had split ends. Her hair looked great after he finished. The other lady was a single mom who was going to graduate from paralegal school. He trimmed a few inches of her hair, also. I think her length was APL, and I think her texture was 3b. He does a very job.
I missed those other episodes! Maybe they will repeat. I wonder if he has worked with type 4 hair on the shows.

Isis

EbonyPerez said:
oh thats not bad!!
i tried looking on the internet found nothing
but now that i have her name i'll look again
thats definitely not shipping incl. right?
I looks like it's $3.25 shipping for DVDs and qualifies for Super Saver shipping.
This is the pop-up window with shipping charges to add to the shopping cart.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
That's where I got my finger curls from! I don't think I saw that episode but I saw one where Nick was doing this lady's hair (I think she was latin maybe) anyway her hair was super long curly 3a/b and he applied product and went through her hair finger curling her whole head. He called it a "curl set". I've been doing it ever since. I'm not as detailed as he is though. I just twirl random sections around my fingers until I get the look I want. I think it's the most wonderful method!!

Last edited:

Isis

Pokahontas said:
That's where I got my finger curls from! I don't think I saw that episode but I saw one where Nick was doing this lady's hair (I think she was latin maybe) anyway her hair was super long curly 3a/b and he applied product and went through her hair finger curling her whole head. He called it a "curl set". I've been doing it ever since. I'm not as detailed as he is though. I just twirl random sections around my fingers until I get the look I want. I think it's the most wonderful method!!
I saw an episode today with a black/latino lady named Tomacita Gonzales with long, thick and curly 3a/b hair. She is a paralegal--maybe it's the same episode? He said he was applyiing a "curl cream to give definition and shape to her hair" (I wrote it down this time, lol) and encourage the natural curl.

But in this episode, I didn't see him twirl the hair around his fingers, it looked like he scrunched it with his hands. :scratchch

So you've been doing this all along Pocahontas?! Your hair is gorgeous! Are you wearing this curl style in your siggy?

ETA: Oh, I see you wrote it is a wash and go and it is gorgeous!

Last edited:

Ayeshia

Ive fingered curled my hair several times and it was a chore to detangle. I used to much gel :ohwell: They looked like combcoils but more defined and spirally.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Isis said:
I saw an episode today with a black/latino lady named Tomacita Gonzales with long, thick and curly 3a/b hair. She is a paralegal--maybe it's the same episode? He said he was applyiing a "curl cream to give definition and shape to her hair" (I wrote it down this time, lol) and encourage the natural curl.

But in this episode, I didn't see him twirl the hair around his fingers, it looked like he scrunched it with his hands. :scratchch

So you've been doing this all along Pocahontas?! Your hair is gorgeous! Are you wearing this curl style in your siggy?

ETA: Oh, I see you wrote it is a wash and go and it is gorgeous!
Thanks Isis. Yes most of the time I twirl a few sections to enhance the curl but I usually don't go through the whole head like he does. My siggy was just a shake and go....I didn't do the twirls there.

I'm not sure if that was the same episode or not because on the one I saw he definitely twirled sections around his finger and he showed how he did it and he called it a "curl set". It really is a good idea and it's beautiful when he finishes.

PhonyBaloney500

I saw an episode where he had a woman with type 4b/a hair. Hers was dyed koolaid red lol and was a little tangled. He cut it, dyed it a more normal color, and finger styled it. He said "this is the type of hair that gets better over time" or something like that. I had my doubts but it looked GOOD and he didn't try to mess with her texture. A couple of weeks ago there was a woman with short type 4b hair and he cut it and gave it a better shape and worked in some product. It looked good as well.

yellagirl730

Isis said:
So you wind locks of your hair around your finger or are you making two-stranded twists?

Yes, I wind my hair around my finger after putting some ORS Twist and Lock gel. I'm making single atrand twists, don't know how to do the double strand twists.