"What Not To Wear" Stylist Creates Beautiful Finger-Curls on Black Hair

imstush

Wow her curls look great. I would love to try this look. It would probably let me wear my hair out more often. Did anyone find out what cream was used, or at least what the jar looked like?

neenzmj

The key for me has been stretching out my roots with a blow dryer. I love the results. Someones I also blow a little warm air along the hair section to give it a looser look.

Nice & Wavy said:
Oh my goodness...I think I found my hair twin 2....my hair does the same thing...it twists just like yours and looks the same way after it dries (now if I could just get to your length, I'll be good to go...I'm not quite there yet) As you can see in my siggy, I have a twist that I did and on the end it swirled like yours. When I do it without twist, just swirling with my fingers, it comes out exactly like your. Let me see if I can find a picture of one of mine, and if not, I will take a pic tonight to show you.

blazingthru

Yes I wear them from time to time. I think my hair would look better once it gets longer. I use curly cream the souffle or milkshake and curl my entire head but my hair is not long enough or very thick and so it doesn't look the way I want it to. My curls fall like shirley temple, I find that when I use the entire line of curls it comes out better. Like using the shampoo and conditioner and then add the other products. I only have one picture of me and my cousin but its not clear I will try to post it later.

Isis

neenzmj said:
I do this to my hair all the time. It's especially helpful in the crown area. I apply a leave-in (NTM or Elucence) and then twirl a strand around my finger and it gives it a nice, bouncy spiral. I normally stretch my hair out a little with a blower dryer after it's about 85-90% dry. Here's an example of my results: (excuse the first few pics -- this was in the pre-makeup part of the day.)

http://public.fotki.com/neenzmj/twistout/twisout-pics/

Your hair and results look beautiful! It looks very shiny, no frizz at all. :)

Isis

TSUprincess04 said:
No problem.

Actually, I would think that it would work on 4B natural hair. As far as relaxed hair goes, I'm honestly not sure. I think with relaxed hair, a rollerset or flexirods would do the trick.
Hmm...this might work with texlaxed hair though, since much of the texture and curl pattern is still there. :scratchch

ClassicBeauty

trimbride said:

Is this her:confused:

If so this could definitely be acheived with flexirods or a rollerset:grin:

I saw this show like a year or so ago, and believe me she didn't have type 4 hair. I have 3b-c and I'm pretty sure I would have to use rollers or rods to get this look. No cream or gell will make my hair do this with my fingers. I don't mean to dissappoint, but that's my honest opinion.

natieya

ladybug71 said:
I love what not to wear. Stacy and Clinton crack me up--they don't be playing when it comes to fashion. I love the hairstylist, Nick. He knows his stuff. I think the blonde chick, the makeup artist does good work as well.

Me too! I love Nick's accent! :love:

1QTPie

Elder Sim
Isis said:
Did anyone see the episode of What Not To Wear on TLC Tuesday of a pretty black lawyer with type 3C looking hair? She didn't know what to do with it so she mainly kept her natural curls tied back in a scrunchie.

When time came for the stylist to work on her hair, she admitted she was nervous and didn't know if he could do black hair. The main stylist on the show (who happens to be white) told her black hair texture should be celebrated and he would make it look better. :)

OMG, this man did an excellent job with her hair! He put some kind of cream on her hair after coloring (she had some grays at the top), washing and conditioning it. Then he twisted locks of her hair around his finger in 1/2 inch sections which he said will eliminate all frizz. She was left with beautiful shoulder-length, shiny, fat spiral curls around her head with lots of body! And she was so happy! I was happy with her! :yay: When she met with Stacey and Clinton again, wearing her new clothes they kept commenting on her hair (Clinton couldn't keep his hands out of it).

Later, she had to prepare to meet her friends and family with her new look. She made a mistake the first time with her hair so she started over by washing it. While her hair was wet, she applied that cream and finger curled it just like he showed her. It looked pretty good when she was done.

Did anyone see this episode? What kind of cream do you think the stylist used? Have you ever finger-curled your hair before?

This sounds like an episode I saw a few years ago. I don't know if they still run new episodes of the show so I would bet it's the same. If so, her hair was beautiful. My hair looked crazy when I tried it because my coils are too small. :lol:

PinkPeony

Isis said:
Trimbride, your flexirod set is beautiful!! I haven't seen those pictures before!
OT: I wear my side bun like your Flamenco bun, with a flower too! :yep: And I sure do :love: the jeweled brooch on your side bun--what a great idea!
Ditto.
Trimbride your protective styles look great.:eek:
How did you get the brooch to hold on your jewel-brooch bun?
And what is that charm on your rollcurl?

1QTPie

Elder Sim
trimbride said:

Is this her:confused:

If so this could definitely be acheived with flexirods or a rollerset:grin:

Yeh, that's the episode. I think this was from early last year or 2005.

Divalicious

Awwww, I missed this episode, but Nick is they type of stylist I would love to have. He's really attentive and knows what he's doing. When I watch makeover shows I always pay close attention when black women are on.

crlsweetie912

neenzmj said:
I do this to my hair all the time. It's especially helpful in the crown area. I apply a leave-in (NTM or Elucence) and then twirl a strand around my finger and it gives it a nice, bouncy spiral. I normally stretch my hair out a little with a blower dryer after it's about 85-90% dry. Here's an example of my results: (excuse the first few pics -- this was in the pre-makeup part of the day.)

http://public.fotki.com/neenzmj/twistout/twisout-pics/

WOW! That set is beautiful :drool: You did an EXCELLENT job!

wonderstar

I got someone to do it for me. I think I can do it on my own....minus the straight parts of course:lol:.

Nice & Wavy said:
That's really pretty. Did you do it or did you get someone else to do it?

sunnydaze

That's great! Too often on these type of shows they straighten our hair and it looks a dry frizzy mess.

I love this show too! I think they are both really funny, especially the girl. Her hair is always really pretty too!

Nice & Wavy

neenzmj said:
The key for me has been stretching out my roots with a blow dryer. I love the results. Someones I also blow a little warm air along the hair section to give it a looser look.

So, you just blow the roots...not straight right? Just to make it looser?

I'm going to try this...thanks so much!

ETA: I think I understand now how you did this.

Last edited:

Nice & Wavy

PatTodd said:
We could be hair triplets :lol: !

Yes, we could...:lol: . Actually, I was checking out your fotki last night and girl..............your hair is beautiful and is long. I can't wait to get to where you are right now!

betty-boo

I tried this on my mum's natural hair which is 3A/3B and it worked. As someone said before, these are called finger coils or one-strand twists and I learned to do it, from doing a search on this site!! Thank God for this site! I think that these other threads show that it can be done on 4b hair & advise what to use.

I used IC fantasia's Hair polisher styling gel and it came out really well. First you end up with a coil and then you can just tease it out if you wish for beautiful spirals. I'm sure that the size of the curl depends on the size of the implement you're wrapping around it, though I've only tried my fingers.
I was so surprised how easy it was and quickly the curl formed. Because I didn't believe it could! But it was so pretty.

PatTodd

Nice & Wavy said:
Yes, we could...:lol: . Actually, I was checking out your fotki last night and girl..............your hair is beautiful and is long. I can't wait to get to where you are right now!

Aww...thanks, girl :blush:! But your hair is MUCH prettier than mine!:yep:

I am working on the curly thing for the summer, and if I get it right, maybe forever! Or I might be relaxing with you in the fall!!!

Radianthealth

ella said:
Ditto.
Trimbride your protective styles look great.:eek:
How did you get the brooch to hold on your jewel-brooch bun?
And what is that charm on your rollcurl?

Thank you so much, I have learned so much from this site and I started to experiment with the french roll after I saw a couple of members like you ;) with those beautiful french roll & flexi8 siggy pics:)

I just bought an inexpensive brooch from TG Max or Ross and pinned it then sew it to an ouchless hair elastic. I placed the hair elastic around my finished bun.

The charm is from Sally's beauty supply. It is a hair comb. The individual peices bend to curl around your french roll. I LOVE it!!! I bought about 6 of them in case I lose them or they change color from BT:lol:

They are really inexpensive too which is a plus

neenzmj

Nice & Wavy said:
So, you just blow the roots...not straight right? Just to make it looser?

I'm going to try this...thanks so much!

ETA: I think I understand now how you did this.
Yes, just enough to loosen the curl a little. I think you'l love the results!

Nice & Wavy

betty-boo said:
I tried this on my mum's natural hair which is 3A/3B and it worked. As someone said before, these are called finger coils or one-strand twists and I learned to do it, from doing a search on this site!! Thank God for this site! I think that these other threads show that it can be done on 4b hair & advise what to use.

I used IC fantasia's Hair polisher styling gel and it came out really well. First you end up with a coil and then you can just tease it out if you wish for beautiful spirals. I'm sure that the size of the curl depends on the size of the implement you're wrapping around it, though I've only tried my fingers.
I was so surprised how easy it was and quickly the curl formed. Because I didn't believe it could! But it was so pretty.

Thank you, bettyboo for sharing how you did it on your mom's hair. I'm so excited about doing it...I will show pics if it comes our nice...;)

Nice & Wavy

neenzmj said:
Yes, just enough to loosen the curl a little. I think you'l love the results!

You are the best!!! Ummm..did you use anything on your hair before you started or while you were doing each one?

neenzmj

trimbride said:
Thank you so much, I have learned so much from this site and I started to experiment with the french roll after I saw a couple of members like you ;) with those beautiful french roll & flexi8 siggy pics:)

I just bought an inexpensive brooch from TG Max or Ross and pinned it then sew it to an ouchless hair elastic. I placed the hair elastic around my finished bun.

The charm is from Sally's beauty supply. It is a hair comb. The individual peices bend to curl around your french roll. I LOVE it!!! I bought about 6 of them in case I lose them or they change color from BT:lol:

They are really inexpensive too which is a plus
I love the look of that comb. Very pretty! Off to Sally's!

Nice & Wavy

PatTodd said:
Aww...thanks, girl :blush:! But your hair is MUCH prettier than mine!:yep:

I am working on the curly thing for the summer, and if I get it right, maybe forever! Or I might be relaxing with you in the fall!!!

Not.......:D !!!!

I've been experimenting on getting nice curls without wetting it everyday.

I'll pm you!