"What Not To Wear" Stylist Creates Beautiful Finger-Curls on Black Hair

Isis

Did anyone see the episode of What Not To Wear on TLC Tuesday of a pretty black lawyer with type 3C looking hair? She didn't know what to do with it so she mainly kept her natural curls tied back in a scrunchie.

When time came for the stylist to work on her hair, she admitted she was nervous and didn't know if he could do black hair. The main stylist on the show (who happens to be white) told her black hair texture should be celebrated and he would make it look better. :)

OMG, this man did an excellent job with her hair! He put some kind of cream on her hair after coloring (she had some grays at the top), washing and conditioning it. Then he twisted locks of her hair around his finger in 1/2 inch sections which he said will eliminate all frizz. She was left with beautiful shoulder-length, shiny, fat spiral curls around her head with lots of body! And she was so happy! I was happy with her! :yay: When she met with Stacey and Clinton again, wearing her new clothes they kept commenting on her hair (Clinton couldn't keep his hands out of it).

Later, she had to prepare to meet her friends and family with her new look. She made a mistake the first time with her hair so she started over by washing it. While her hair was wet, she applied that cream and finger curled it just like he showed her. It looked pretty good when she was done.

Did anyone see this episode? What kind of cream do you think the stylist used? Have you ever finger-curled your hair before?

BeatriceFly

OMG!
I didnt see that episode and I am SUCH A FAN of that show
And I always wondered if he could do natural black hair
I MUST find that show online or something
Or pics on the site

Going to check...

Radianthealth

I don't watch this show too often but this sounds like the method that someone on the board said Corrine Bailey Raye uses to add curls to her hair.

They said to get the look she wraps/twirls pieces of hair around her finger after she rinses the conditioner from her hair...I am not sure if I have this right though:lol:

With my 4b hair to get a similar look I use blue flexirods:look:

Isis

EbonyPerez said:
OMG!
I didnt see that episode and I am SUCH A FAN of that show
And I always wondered if he could do natural black hair
I MUST find that show online or something
Or pics on the site

Going to check...
It was so good! It's rare that they have black women on the show and I should have taped it. I looked online at www.tlc.com and saw that they sell the episodes for $1.99 each. :scratchch

(Show info)
Jun 05, 12:00 pm

(60 minutes) What Not to Wear
Lisa
TV-PG, CC

Lisa is a mother of two and a human rights lawyer. With her time dedicated to her family and her job her appearance is the last thing on her mind. Her friends say she wears her ten year old daughter's clothes - sweats, and wears black and white to work.

Last edited:

Isis

trimbride said:
I don't watch this show too often but this sounds like the method that someone on the board said Corrine Bailey Raye uses to add curls to her hair.

They said to get the look she wraps/twirls pieces of hair around her finger after she rinses the conditioner from her hair...I am not sure if I have this right though:lol:

With my 4b hair to get a similar look I use blue flexirods:look:

Blue flexirods? You have to leave your flexirods in until your hair dries, right? The finger method looked quick and easy. If I can do this with my 4b hair...

Thanks for sharing that info Trimbride. :)

Radianthealth

I use the flexirods on my airdried hair. I leave them in overnight. I have photos in my album. It would take longer than the method shown on TV but I am not sure if twirling my hair around my finger will produce the same results. I will give it a try and see:look:

I bet your hair would look AMAZING :love: :love: with a flexirod set!

yellagirl730

Isis said:
Blue flexirods? You have to leave your flexirods in until your hair dries, right? The finger method looked quick and easy. If I can do this with my 4b hair...

Thanks for sharing that info Trimbride. :)

You can do it, I wear my hair in twists and I use that method, It just takes about 3 hours. After a couple of days I undo some of the twists and it looks just like a straw set.

Isis

trimbride said:
I use the flexirods on my airdried hair. I leave them in overnight. I have photos in my album. It would take longer than the method shown on TV but I am not sure if twirling my hair around my finger will produce the same results. I will give it a try and see:look:

I bet your hair would look AMAZING :love: :love: with a flexirod set!
Thank you Trimbride. :) I do have the purple flexirods somewhere around here. I'm going to have to check out your album again.

Isis

yellagirl730 said:
You can do it, I wear my hair in twists and I use that method, It just takes about 3 hours. After a couple of days I undo some of the twists and it looks just like a straw set.
So you wind locks of your hair around your finger or are you making two-stranded twists?

frostydoll

Isis said:
Did anyone see the episode of What Not To Wear on TLC Tuesday of a pretty black lawyer with type 3C looking hair? She didn't know what to do with it so she mainly kept her natural curls tied back in a scrunchie.

When time came for the stylist to work on her hair, she admitted she was nervous and didn't know if he could do black hair. The main stylist on the show (who happens to be white) told her black hair texture should be celebrated and he would make it look better. :)

OMG, this man did an excellent job with her hair! He put some kind of cream on her hair after coloring (she had some grays at the top), washing and conditioning it. Then he twisted locks of her hair around his finger in 1/2 inch sections which he said will eliminate all frizz. She was left with beautiful shoulder-length, shiny, fat spiral curls around her head with lots of body! And she was so happy! I was happy with her! :yay: When she met with Stacey and Clinton again, wearing her new clothes they kept commenting on her hair (Clinton couldn't keep his hands out of it).

Later, she had to prepare to meet her friends and family with her new look. She made a mistake the first time with her hair so she started over by washing it. While her hair was wet, she applied that cream and finger curled it just like he showed her. It looked pretty good when she was done.

Did anyone see this episode? What kind of cream do you think the stylist used? Have you ever finger-curled your hair before?

Is there somewhere that I can see a picture of her hair?

ladybug71

I love what not to wear. Stacy and Clinton crack me up--they don't be playing when it comes to fashion. I love the hairstylist, Nick. He knows his stuff. I think the blonde chick, the makeup artist does good work as well.

Isis

Trimbride, your flexirod set is beautiful!! I haven't seen those pictures before!
OT: I wear my side bun like your Flamenco bun, with a flower too! :yep: And I sure do :love: the jeweled brooch on your side bun--what a great idea!

Isis

alonshaw said:
I saw that episode! I :love: TLC!!!
Great! Did you catch what kind of cream the stylist was using? I didn't hear him say what it was but I could have missed something.

Radianthealth

Isis said:
Trimbride, your flexirod set is beautiful!! I haven't seen those pictures before!
OT: I wear my side bun like your Flamenco bun, with a flower too! :yep: And I sure do :love: the jeweled brooch on your side bun--what a great idea!

Thank you so much Isis! I love accessories and you have really inspired me to really enjoy the whole hair journey:)

I am spreading the word:sekret: :sekret: :sekret:

Isis

ladybug71 said:
I love what not to wear. Stacy and Clinton crack me up--they don't be playing when it comes to fashion. I love the hairstylist, Nick. He knows his stuff. I think the blonde chick, the makeup artist does good work as well.
You're right. :yep: Stacy and Clinton are funny and will tell it like it is! :lol: Nick is Australian, isn't he? He is a magician with hair and 99% of the time the women love what he does, even if he has to cut it.

Did you see that episode of the woman with straight, hip-length hair? She wanted to keep her length and he smiled as he snipped here and there while she was sweatin'. When he was done, her hair hung so beautifully and was still long at her waist. She looked like a model and couldn't stop posing. I loved that he didn't cut her hair off. :)

The makeup artist is also a genius and I love her 5-minute beauty tricks she shows the ladies. What she did with the black girl yesterday was amazing and very fresh and simple. :yep:

Isis

trimbride said:

Is this her:confused:

If so this could definitely be acheived with flexirods or a rollerset:grin:
Yes, that's her, thanks Trimbride! Those curls were made with the stylist's finger and quickly too. She kept swinging her beautiful hair. :) Her whole attitude changed after her hair and makeup session and she felt like the professional she was.

I do believe what you are saying and I've done something similar with my Caruso rollers.

I am more intrigued about doing this with just my fingers, not with other tools. I want to do this as quickly as he did.

Last edited:

Isis

trimbride said:
Thank you so much Isis! I love accessories and you have really inspired me to really enjoy the whole hair journey:)

I am spreading the word:sekret: :sekret: :sekret:
You're welcome!:)

BeatriceFly

oh thats not bad!!
i tried looking on the internet found nothing
but now that i have her name i'll look again
thats definitely not shipping incl. right?

Isis said:
It was so good! It's rare that they have black women on the show and I should have taped it. I looked online at www.tlc.com and saw that they sell the episodes for $1.99 each. :scratchch

(Show info)
Jun 05, 12:00 pm

(60 minutes) What Not to Wear
Lisa
TV-PG, CC

Lisa is a mother of two and a human rights lawyer. With her time dedicated to her family and her job her appearance is the last thing on her mind. Her friends say she wears her ten year old daughter's clothes - sweats, and wears black and white to work.

yellagirl730

Isis said:
So you wind locks of your hair around your finger or are you making two-stranded twists?

No, I make single strand twists, I use ORS lock and twist gel, on wet hair and twist it with my fingers and twists right up.

neenzmj

I do this to my hair all the time. It's especially helpful in the crown area. I apply a leave-in (NTM or Elucence) and then twirl a strand around my finger and it gives it a nice, bouncy spiral. I normally stretch my hair out a little with a blower dryer after it's about 85-90% dry. Here's an example of my results: (excuse the first few pics -- this was in the pre-makeup part of the day.)

http://public.fotki.com/neenzmj/twistout/twisout-pics/

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
Yeah, those are called finger coils. Miss Jessie's explains how to do them on her website.

Radianthealth

TSU,

Do you know if these can be done with 4B hair? If so will it only work if I am natural?

I am going to look at the Miss Jessies site. Thanks

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
trimbride said:
TSU,

Do you know if these can be done with 4B hair? If so will it only work if I am natural?

I am going to look at the Miss Jessies site. Thanks

No problem.

Actually, I would think that it would work on 4B natural hair. As far as relaxed hair goes, I'm honestly not sure. I think with relaxed hair, a rollerset or flexirods would do the trick.

DozenRoses99

I love it when Nick does these finger coils! He has actually done this style on at least 2 other ladies. One lady was a very short (under 4'11'', I think) teacher who had almost waistlength 3c/3b hair. He cut a few inches because he said she had split ends. Her hair looked great after he finished. The other lady was a single mom who was going to graduate from paralegal school. He trimmed a few inches of her hair, also. I think her length was APL, and I think her texture was 3b. He does a very job.

frostydoll

Hmmm I would love to try this but I think my curl pattern is too tight plus I'm a little "special" when I try to do my hair. Hmm... Imma ask my stylist if she thinks my hair can do this.

Nice & Wavy

neenzmj said:
I do this to my hair all the time. It's especially helpful in the crown area. I apply a leave-in (NTM or Elucence) and then twirl a strand around my finger and it gives it a nice, bouncy spiral. I normally stretch my hair out a little with a blower dryer after it's about 85-90% dry. Here's an example of my results: (excuse the first few pics -- this was in the pre-makeup part of the day.)

Oh my goodness...I think I found my hair twin 2....my hair does the same thing...it twists just like yours and looks the same way after it dries (now if I could just get to your length, I'll be good to go...I'm not quite there yet) As you can see in my siggy, I have a twist that I did and on the end it swirled like yours. When I do it without twist, just swirling with my fingers, it comes out exactly like your. Let me see if I can find a picture of one of mine, and if not, I will take a pic tonight to show you.

Last edited:

wonderstar

Yours look great. I'm 3c/4a natural and this is what mines look like

http://public.fotki.com/wonderstar88/hairstyles/twistscoilsandbantuknots/img_2669.html

Next I'm going to try separating them to get them nice and fluffly like yours:D.

neenzmj said: