What Are Things / Products That Most Naturals Try At Some Point On Their Healthy Hair Journey?

SmilingElephant

@PJaye the first part of your post was essentially what I was trying to say, but you said it better. :yep::yep:yep:

I'm not really that deep into hair typing, but I know that ppl with looser hair textures are told to not use heavy products on their hair.

Depending on the seasons, especially when it gets cooler, my hair thrives off of heavy products. So the stereotypical "type 3 curly hair routine" does fit all type 3s. Sometimes our hair needs type 4 love too! :)

A few things worth mentioning:

- Don't allow yourself to get caught up in hair typing, e.g., my hair is type ___, so it automatically behaves like other type ___s, and I will only try methods and products for that hair type, and heed advice from people with the same hair type. IME, it's a hair characteristic that can be of some help, but the buck certainly doesn't stop there. FWIW, my hair can't do what others within my type can do, and the best advice I learned about products and techniques came from people who had relaxed hair.
- Knowing one's porosity is crucial and the key that opens the door to progress. Once a person knows how their hair is behaves in accordance with its structure, it becomes easier to give it the things that it needs to thrive. IMO, porosity is much more important than hair type. And, here's a fact that people rarely discuss: one's porosity can change over time and it largely depends upon the technique(s) used to address it.
- Remain reasonably open to new ideas and concepts. Having prejudices or preconceived notions with respect to products and/or techniques could hinder your progress or keep a hidden jewel out of reach. Unless it's something outlandish, give it a shot...after numerous people have tried it first and have reported their long-term findings.
- Refrain from using new products and techniques all at once. If something performs well/badly, it will be difficult to determine which product or method used led to that outcome.
- Try to avoid bandwagons. They never last and people rarely offer long-term information regarding results and outcomes.
- Your journey should never be a chore or burdensome. IME, it's best to not view it as something you have to do, but rather as a part of who you are. If your routine ever becomes a chore, don't be afraid to switch things up or cut it off.
- There's no need for a healthy routine to take all day due to completing 87 steps. Once a person has figured out what their hair responds to and how it likes to be treated, all that remains is for them to continue along that road. Trying new products is one thing and sampling all kinds of techniques is another. IME, keeping things simple - clean it, feed/nourish it, finish it up then style it - produces the best outcomes.
- Keep your journey as individualized and conscientious as possible. Cheer Suzie on as she rakes gel throughout her entire head with the knowledge that if you were to do the same thing, you would reach Bawlheadland before the month was out. Support black owned businesses at every opportunity (and look for ways to do so) and dump those that disrespect our community. That DC may be good, but is it really worth it in the end?

If I think of more, I'll come back and add them (but I shouldn't since I've already heavily cluttered up this thread).

PJaye

@PJaye the first part of your post was essentially what I was trying to say, but you said it better. :yep::yep:yep:

I'm not really that deep into hair typing, but I know that ppl with looser hair textures are told to not use heavy products on their hair.

Depending on the seasons, especially when it gets cooler, my hair thrives off of heavy products. So the stereotypical "type 3 curly hair routine" does fit all type 3s. Sometimes our hair needs type 4 love too! :)

I'm right there with you. I cannot do most of what other type 3s can do, and my hair also prefers heavier, highly emollient products. I stop listening to hair type-specific advice years ago.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Hey ok.. I skipped by product junkyness and went to what has always worked.....juice lol. Good-ole glycerin based Jheri curl juice. Hair stays moist all day. I retain every inch. And protective styling. Why change? Oh and I like Hollywood Beauty cholesterol, good stuff. I add wheat and keratin protein to the cholesterol to make it stronger.

Last edited: