WHAT EXACTLY IS HEAT TRAINING AND HOW DOES IT DIFFER FROM HEAT DAMAGE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandy4610

Before anyone asks me to do a search.:ohwell:..lol...I already did, but didn't find a straight answer, so I am asking.

I am not looking to start some controversy....I know how yall can be sometimes:grin: I just want some information.

So, enlighten me please, What is Heat training? How is it different from Heat damage? How do you know if hair is heat trained?

Thanks in Advance for answering.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

It doesn't :look:

sooooooo pretty in you new siggy joint

definite keeper!

@Mandy... I think there's a book coming out!

i think youtuber "longhairdontcare2011" is one of the trailblazers in this terminology .... but u may already know her channel

Last edited:

EllePixie

I'll bite. One is intentional, one isn't. Like the difference between planning a secret hotel rendezvous to cheat on your man and getting drunk out with your girls and cheating with a stranger because you were blacked out.

Quailbird

From my understanding, heat training is the use of heat resulting in a gradual loosening of one's hair texture. It tends to leave all of the hair the same texture, but looser than the original natural texture.
Heat damage is the straightening of strands from too much heat use. From how I understand it, it is not gradual and it may happen in one or more areas of the hair, or all over. The texture is straight in parts rather than just a gradual loosening of the texture overall. Hope that makes sense.

empressri

I'll bite. One is intentional, one isn't. Like the difference between planning a secret hotel rendezvous to cheat on your man and getting drunk out with your girls and cheating with a stranger because you were blacked out.

laaaaaaaaaaawd jeebus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lachen::lachen::lachen:

SimplyBlessed

Like EllePixie stated One is intentional, one isn't.

BUT imo if ur hair doesn't revert its damaged and I have unintentionally had heat damage

So with that being said its all damaging bc hair that wont revert is damaged and heat trained hair usually doesn't revert like it would b4 heat...hence easier straightening

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Long Hair Care Forum App

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing

But at the end of the day, you still cheated.

The difference between heat training and heat damage *may* be that one is intentional, but at the end of the day it's still damaged since those protein bonds have been gradually broken.

eajaye2u

Before anyone asks me to do a search.:ohwell:..lol...I already did, but didn't find a straight answer, so I am asking.

I am not looking to start some controversy....I know how yall can be sometimes:grin: I just want some information.

So, enlighten me please, What is Heat training? How is it different from Heat damage? How do you know if hair is heat trained?

Thanks in Advance for answering.
I'll give you my opinion on what it is :)
The disclaimer is I am over 50. So back in the day, i didnt know anyone who had a perm. They called perm Vigorol and it smelled terrible. And so for special occasions we would get a press and curl. Or sometimes for church. The hairdresser said she was "training" our hair so it would straighten easier. After the press was washed out or "sweated" out we could always get our "afro" back lol. Not sure if that is still what it means now.

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
Also, when I say "damage" I mean in the literal sense. The heat trained hair may not have split ends or experiencing breakage, BUT for the hair to be "trained," those bonds HAVE to be damaged in order to create the loosening. So in that sense, there is no difference between the two IMO.

empressri

Also, when I say "damage" I mean in the literal sense. The heat trained hair may not have split ends or experiencing breakage, BUT for the hair to be "trained," those bonds HAVE to be damaged in order to create the loosening. So in that sense, there is no difference between the two IMO.

And this...I totally agree.

Mandy I'm not sure which answer you're looking for but I think Priss Pot explains it best. However...there will still be folks to say no that's not it. This is the straightest answer I've seen.

labellenoire

Honestly, I think it depends on what side of the 'fence' you sit on, and even under those circumstances, there appears to be some fairly 'grey' areas. LOL...

I'm not an expert on this and maybe someone else will elaborate. However, I have lurked long enough on this forum to know what the hot topics are and this in one of them. But back to your question...

I have no strong view one way or another on this topic so I will simply 'summarise' the different points I have heard - both for "heat training" and "heat damage". I also summarise my understaning in italics and colour.

HEAT TRAINING
View #1:The constant use of (high) heat to gradually loosen your texture over time. This view point generally doesn't agree that the hair is 'damaged'.

View #2: The frequent use of heat over time to 'train' your hair to straighten easily/with less effort over time. Just like the point above, the general consensus of this view point is that the hair isn't damaged.

View #3: There is no difference between heat training and heat damage - they are one and the same. I don't think I need to elaborate because this view point sees DAMAGE DAMAGE DAMAGE

HEAT DAMAGE
View #1: When heat usage (either direct or indirect heat *even this is debated but I think most people agree that it's direct) causes the curl pattern to loosen. Very frequently, the person complaining of heat damage will also report that his/her hair is limp, dry, with lots of split ends, prone to breakage, etc in addition to the aforementioned point. Some people in this category will consider cutting the damaged pieces or completely cutting off the hair depending on how much 'damage' he/she believes is done.

View #2: When heat usage causes the curl pattern to loosen but not enough to cause the hair to be in the state/condition mentioned above. Usually in this case, the person may report that frequent deep conditioning and protein treatment helped restore the curl pattern (or at least to some degree).

View #3: People who claim their hair is 'heat trained' have damaged hair and they simply refuse to accept it as that. Even if their hair grows long, it is still damaged because the bonds of the hair have been broken. Again, no need to elaborate here.

Well, have I missed anything? I really hope this thread doesn't cause any furore because I think the OP is truly just curious. I have summarised the points based on the general discussions. Please feel free to add/take away from what I've said.

NB: I will simply ignore any personal attacks as I do not feel like anything I have said is 'personal' to anyone :yep:

Mandy4610

Thank you, this is very clear and straight forward.

zzirvingj

IMO, for what it's worth, I think they're both the same thing. I should post pics of my hair cuz I swear it's been heat damaged *sigh*

Mandy4610

And this...I totally agree.

Mandy I'm not sure which answer you're looking for but I think Priss Pot explains it best. However...there will still be folks to say no that's not it. This is the straightest answer I've seen.
Thanks, she does explain it well.

Mandy4610

I really hope this thread doesn't cause any furore because I think the OP is truly just curious. I have summarised the points based on the general discussions. Please feel free to add/take away from what I've said.

NB: I will simply ignore any personal attacks as I do not feel like anything I have said is 'personal' to anyone :yep:
You nailed it, I am curious, I haven't paid much attention to this subject, but lately I have seen it come up and I was wondering. I don't intend to do it, but knowledge is power, so I asked.:grin:

Thanks

EllePixie

Agree 100%.

If you want to think of it metaphorically (I'm full of those today), imagine if you went to Victoria's Secret and someone had switched the bra straps on a strapless bra so they could wear it as a multi-way rather than the regular way. You show the new straps to the manager, who then has to place the bra in the damaged pile, because they cannot sell merchandise that has been altered from its original condition.

virtuenow

Its like the difference between a relaxer, telaxer, jheri curl and texurizer. They are all damage according to the technical terms on lhcf & elsewhere. They are just different degrees of "damage". The bonds in hair are broken down and released and nearly disintegrated (in some instances) and then that new hair form is locked in or "frozen" in place. That's how u "knock" the curl loose. Its a process. Just like heat training is a process. I wouldn't get hung up on semantics. Its the PROCESS, once again, that is important to understand.

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Mandy4610

Agree 100%.

If you want to think of it metaphorically (I'm full of those today), imagine if you went to Victoria's Secret and someone had switched the bra straps on a strapless bra so they could wear it as a multi-way rather than the regular way. You show the new straps to the manager, who then has to place the bra in the damaged pile, because they cannot sell merchandise that has been altered from its original condition.
:grin:, you are full of them. Makes sense though.

Anne26

panda
HaHa like this answer

I'm like Why not get a perm?

I've just read a thread about this too, a very controversial one. ^.^ But I understood the difference. Some don't like to get a perm because of burning scalps.

empressri

HaHa like this answer

nah....if i have to pick the lesser of the two evils im going for using a pressing comb, flat iron, electric flat iron or whatever. i tried to suggest this to two of my bff's cause that perm is messing up their edges.

hell i knew a girl in high school who only got her hair done with a marcel iron im guessing and it was thick, healthy, shiny and relaxer straight. i was floored when she said she didnt have a relaxer cause that was the only option i thought you had if you wanted straight hair back then lol

EllePixie

I've just read a thread about this too, a very controversial one. ^.^ But I understood the difference. Some don't like to get a perm because of burning scalps.

This is hands down the best "defense" of heat training I have seen floating around. I used to burn the mess outta my scalp with relaxers, and this can also cause a lot of flaking and dandruff. If I had known about pressing when I was younger I definitely would have stopped getting relaxers years ago.

However, Natural Haven gives a good explanation to make the case for relaxers... THE NATURAL HAVEN: Straightening Hair - Relax or Heat?

Last edited:

labellenoire

HaHa like this answer

I think the answer to your question is that not every body can safely apply chemicals to their hair without adverse effects.

I am a natural and the number one reason I went natural was because I was having adverse reactions to relaxers. It had nothing to do with 'self-identity' or 'dislike for straight hair' or 'going against the grain' etc. I simply did not like the chemical effect. Of course, as I became natural, I came to appreciate the texture of my hair and what not.

However, I don't get why people always say to naturals who straighten their hair frequently "why not get a perm (or relaxer - as I refer to it)". It's like me telling a texlaxed lady, why not just go natural already? I mean, who is to say people's personal reasons for doing their hair one way or another?

I had to point this out because I've heard so many people say that in reference to naturals who straighten their hair all the time or at least frequently.

virtuenow

HaHa like this answer

Hmm, b/c a perm...or relaxer is made from highly concentrated chemicals...and it is permanent. The 2 can hardly be compared as far as the process. the result may be the same in some senses.

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Status
Not open for further replies.