WHAT EXACTLY IS HEAT TRAINING AND HOW DOES IT DIFFER FROM HEAT DAMAGE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmileyNY

Heat training is like relaxing.....

Thank you. Thank you very much! I may start a spin-off thread b/c this is off-topic... but seriously, I don't understand why some (some! Not all) ppl w/heat trained hair turned their noses up at those with relaxed/texlaxed hair & still call themselves natural.

Relaxed/texlaxed hair is not natural. Why? Because it un-naturally breaks down the proteins in hair.

Heat training hair does what? Un-naturally breaks down the proteins in hair.

I'm not against heat training or relaxing/texlaxing (I'm texlaxed myself). TO EACH HER OWN :) I'm just tired of the double standard. Anywho, apologies for getting off-topic.

labellenoire

I'm more confused than ever about the difference now. Personally, I've never seen the difference between the two except the state of mine the person who views them both is in. Here is my take:

Heat Damage: Too much heat, damaged your hair to the point it won't revert back or it's limp and lifeless.
Heat Training: In denial that you have damaged your hair so let's give it a fancy name.

I guess by your logic, that means that relaxed women are 'in denial' too of their damaged hair, is that right?

I see a lot of snide remarks towards women who refer to their hair as 'heat trained', but there appears to be loads of 'ooohs' and 'ahhhs' over women with relaxed hair and not once have I seen commentary along the lines of "your hair may look good and have 'swang' but it is DAMAGED because you are relaxed'. In my opinion, this is hypocrisy and I can't help but smh at the double-standard.

For the record, I do not 'heat train', but they double standard I sometimes see with people on here truly irks me.

Difference of opinion is one thing but sometimes people try to pass of their opinions as just that - an alternate view - when truly sometimes the intent is to make the opposing view feel 'less-than'.

One of the best advice I once read some hair blog was 'stop taking people's hair journeys personally. If something that someone does on her/his hair bothers you so much, just 'disconnect' and 'disengage'.

Cisselette

Thank you. Thank you very much! I may start a spin-off thread b/c this is off-topic... but seriously, I don't understand why some (some! Not all) ppl w/heat trained hair turned their noses up at those with relaxed/texlaxed hair & still call themselves natural.

Relaxed/texlaxed hair is not natural. Why? Because it un-naturally breaks down the proteins in hair.

Heat training hair does what? Un-naturally breaks down the proteins in hair.

ITA.

I don't think relaxed /heat trained hair is "damaged" in the sense of breaking or not being healthy when done and cared for properly. I guess we all know that.

For me the difference lies in the fact that heat trained ladies usually insist on calling themselves natural when technically they're not.

The very process of purposefully changing the curl pattern is IMO the reason why heat training is compared to relaxing.

I believe that's what some people are trying to express when speaking about "being in denial" or "why not just relax".

Natural hair is hair which texture hasn't been permanently altered from its original state. That does not include heat trained hair in my book.

Damaged hair is simplyunhealthy hair whether it's caused by neglect, heat, relaxers, color, bad practices, misinformation, etc.

yods

This thread is about to go to the left so I will say my piece and back away.

Being natural isn't some sort of exclusive members club that membership gets revoked if you decide to color your hair, use heat regularly, bkt, etc, etc. To the majority of the population it just means that you haven't chemically relaxed your hair.

nikolite

I thought it was a nice thread, does it really matter if it's "new"? New people come to the board all the time. *looks at own join date*

I wasn't looking for this, because it isn't what I wish to do, so I wasn't even thinking about searching this subject. But I like to know things about hair, and use it to help someone later.

I agree. I don't understand people who have a problem with "old" topics being discussed again. Honestly, if everyone only searched what they were looking for and read old responses constantly, there would be no forum, just a database for people to search through with a couple new threads every blue moon.

To the comments about natural responses to relaxed hair: What "double standard" are ya'll talking about? There were many threads in the past that turned into a natural vs. relaxed war, and those discussions are generally frowned upon here. It would make no sense for a natural to come into a relaxed thread and talk about their hair damage, that's obvious by this point and would close countless threads. I haven't been here a year yet and know that.

The difference with heat-trained naturals is first, they are calling themselves "naturals" in most cases, yet doing similar things to their hair as relaxed women to permanently alter their hair pattern. There IS some denial there for some of them--not in terms of whether or not their hair is damaged so much, but in terms of what constitutes being natural when heat damage is very similar to chemical damage. It only makes sense that naturals are more likely to comment in these types of threads to clear up the confusion with heat training, because so many heat-trained don't think they are damaging their hair and/or believe that their hair is much more natural than relaxed hair. Heat training to permanently straighten is a fairly new practice (as is texlaxing) so there's a need for discussion and clarification on what it really is. It also complicates the boundaries between relaxed and natural hair so its an interesting topic.

The whole relaxed hair vs. natural hair thing, on the other hand, has been done over and over and we all get it. A lot of naturals don't think relaxing is okay just like heat training, or else they'd be relaxing their hair too. Its just that this thread ISN'T about relaxing, so why are ya'll even bringing that up?

nikolite

This thread is about to go to the left so I will say my piece and back away.

Being natural isn't some sort of exclusive members club that membership gets revoked if you decide to color your hair, use heat regularly, bkt, etc, etc. To the majority of the population it just means that you haven't chemically relaxed your hair.

I'd say that any type of permanent alteration to the texture of the hair including heat straightening =/= natural hair.

I think coloring one's hair is completely different though, and I haven't heard any naturals say that a person who colors their hair is not natural. Many naturals color their hair.

IMO, its not about some type of membership; its purely about accurately defining terms/practices. Its very simple: natural = wearing the hair in its natural state/texture; relaxing = chemically altering the hair texture; heat-training = __________ (I think this discussion is about helping to fill in those blanks).

10WordzOrLess

Nope, all those relaxed ladies who have gorgeous lengths are in denial. They call it 'getting a relaxer' when its just a fancy word for CHEMICAL DAMAGE. I think its just messed up because it might mislead the masses into thinking this is ok! I'm sure that when their hair is wet it looks supergross, and eventually it will all fall off.

*tongue firmly in cheek

yods

I'd say that any type of permanent alteration to the texture of the hair including heat straightening =/= natural hair.

I think coloring one's hair is completely different though, and I haven't heard any naturals say that a person who colors their hair is not natural. Many naturals color their hair.

IMO, its not about some type of membership; its purely about accurately defining terms/practices. Its very simple: natural = wearing the hair in its natural state/texture; relaxing = chemically altering the hair texture; heat-training = __________ (I think this discussion is about helping to fill in those blanks).

I have seen threads on this board where people have stated that any change to ones hair stops you from being natural. Henna, color, bkt etc have been brought up I have done a lazy search for it and can't find it so it might have gone to thread heaven.

To me natural means lack of relaxer nothing more, honestly it really doesn't matter much to me if anyone choose to define it differently.

Anyway I am not going to derail the thread any further as the question isn't even about what natural hair is.

EllePixie

Well I haven't seen any threads on this site that say you aren't natural if you use henna or color (bkt not sure, debatable). I have seen them on NP, but not here. But I seriously don't understand why someone would say they are "natural" if they clearly would have roots of a different texture if they stopped heat training and they would have to transition (just like when people stop getting relaxers). IMO, that isn't natural. However, I am not the natural queen of the world and it's not my job to dub people natural.

Last May, I was debating whether to color my hair or not because I didn't want people to say I wasn't natural anymore...and then I was like, who the heck cares? It's MY hair and if I want to color it, I can. I still consider myself natural (which usually refers to texture) but if people ask me about my color I have no problem telling them that my COLOR is not natural.

So in the grand scheme of things, who gives a care? I think that people come into these threads and "bash" (it's really not bashing it's telling the truth) heat training because they don't want a newbie to start doing it and then mess up their hair, or they will think there are no potential ill effects because people try to come up with pretty little terms for it. It's deceiving and it's dumb. Just call it what it is, and KEEP ON DOING IT. It's your hair, not anyone else's. Sheesh.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Heat Training is where you are gradually loosening the hair texture with heat so it can be easily straightened. I feel like heat training is best for naturals who prefer to keep their natural hair straightened.

Heat Damage is where you have damaged hair from using heat such as splitting hair, split ends, breakage, and dryness. Loosened hair texture is not necessarily damaged hair like a lot of people claim.

Same thing with relaxers... they only damage the hair if it's causing breakage and splits. And that's with anything really... heat and relaxers aren't the only things that can damage the hair... rough handling, excessive manipulation, the environment, certain hair products, and many other factors can cause hair damage period.

ChanelNo5

I know a few naturals that went through a bout of the straightening bug that resulted in a looser texture. When the phase was over and they chose to wear their hair in its natural state, over a period of time their tighter curl pattern gradually returned. I'm not talking grew in...I mean reverted over a few months.

Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Fuel to the fire.:lol:

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
Well I haven't seen any threads on this site that say you aren't natural if you use henna or color (bkt not sure, debatable). I have seen them on NP, but not here. But I seriously don't understand why someone would say they are "natural" if they clearly would have roots of a different texture if they stopped heat training and they would have to transition (just like when people stop getting relaxers). IMO, that isn't natural. However, I am not the natural queen of the world and it's not my job to dub people natural.

Last May, I was debating whether to color my hair or not because I didn't want people to say I wasn't natural anymore...and then I was like, who the heck cares? It's MY hair and if I want to color it, I can. I still consider myself natural (which usually refers to texture) but if people ask me about my color I have no problem telling them that my COLOR is not natural.

So in the grand scheme of things, who gives a care? I think that people come into these threads and "bash" (it's really not bashing it's telling the truth) heat training because they don't want a newbie to start doing it and then mess up their hair, or they will think there are no potential ill effects because people try to come up with pretty little terms for it. It's deceiving and it's dumb. Just call it what it is, and KEEP ON DOING IT. It's your hair, not anyone else's. Sheesh.

Thank you! As many threads we see of women posting about how they flat-ironed their hair one time and ended up with straight pieces, I would think it'd be beneficial to post all of the warnings of things that COULD happen. IMO, heat training is not some process that you just pick up a flat-iron and go at it. Like, you really have to be careful or else things could easily go awry.

Let's say a natural is trying to heat train, so she straightens every other week, but uses lots of protein and moisture treatments to counteract any breakage that could occur. Let's say that her hair reverts back perfectly every time. Well, since she's not achieving her heat training goal, then she's gonna have to change her regimen: either straighten more often, or crank up the heat. Let's say she cranks up the heat, and next thing you know she has straight ends and puffy roots. That's how easily these things can happen, and a newbie needs to know that nothing is guaranteed. It takes a lot of trial and error.

No one is denying the fact that stretched hair has less problems, but let's not pretend as if this is something easily obtainable without any type of complications. We know how quickly newbies jump on bandwagons (we've all been there), so it's best to be upfront about the pros and cons of "heat training" and like you said, not giving it fancy little names to make it sound like it came straight from heaven.

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
Also, I see that Rei and a few others think that people are in here "high-horsing" or whatever. I'm not sure if that's in reference to what I've said or not, and quite frankly I could care less. But what I DO care about is correct information being passed along to others in regards to hair care, tis my responses. And, if that's high-horsing then so be it.

I do understand that SSK's and tangles run rampant among those with tighter textures. I've had my fair share of those issues which is why I opt to keep my hair stretched (via twist/braid outs and rollersets) which works out perfectly for me in terms of less SSK's, less tangles, and more length retention, but I understand that not even those style options can help some people.

So my stance is not really bashing, it's more of calling a spade a spade.

labellenoire

Thank you! As many threads we see of women posting about how they flat-ironed their hair one time and ended up with straight pieces, I would think it'd be beneficial to post all of the warnings of things that COULD happen. IMO, heat training is not some process that you just pick up a flat-iron and go at it. Like, you really have to be careful or else things could easily go awry.

Let's say a natural is trying to heat train, so she straightens every other week, but uses lots of protein and moisture treatments to counteract any breakage that could occur. Let's say that her hair reverts back perfectly every time. Well, since she's not achieving her heat training goal, then she's gonna have to change her regimen: either straighten more often, or crank up the heat. Let's say she cranks up the heat, and next thing you know she has straight ends and puffy roots. That's how easily these things can happen, and a newbie needs to know that nothing is guaranteed. It takes a lot of trial and error.

No one is denying the fact that stretched hair has less problems, but let's not pretend as if this is something easily obtainable without any type of complications. We know how quickly newbies jump on bandwagons (we've all been there), so it's best to be upfront about the pros and cons of "heat training" and like you said, not giving it fancy little names to make it sound like it came straight from heaven.

I agree that pros and cons of 'heat training' (like any other hair practices/methods such relaxing, bkt, combing, over manipulation, use of equestrian products on human hair, etc) need to be highlighted but from where did you and the poster you quoted above get this impression that people are giving it 'fancy little names' or are being deceiving (as stated in a previous poster)?. I think enough posters have already stated factual statements about 'heat training': it breaks down hair's protein bonds, you risk split ends, dryness, breakage, unevenness of texture, etc.

I mean seriously, paranoia much?

Last edited:

EllePixie

I agree that pros and cons of 'heat training' (like any other hair practices/methods such relaxing, bkt, combing, over manipulation, use of equistrian products, etc) need to be highlighted but from where did you and the poster you quoted get this impression that people are giving it 'fancy little names' to be deceiving (as stated in a previous poster)?. I think enough posters have already stated factual statements about 'heat training': it breaks down hair's protein bonds, you risk split ends, dryness, breakage, unevenness of texture, etc

I mean seriously, paranoia much?

Actually, I was referring to the thread linked in this thread that was titled, "Let's Give Heat Training a New Name" or something like that. I wasn't referring to the comments in this thread, more like a general opinion on what I have seen across the board, not in this one instance. This thread, although there were different opinions, was pretty straightforward.

Also, those referring to people's comments as "high horsing" may be stretching it a bit, being that NO ONE in this thread is saying that heating training is the debil, wrong, offensive, or the end of the world. It's really not that serious.

Last edited:

Mandy4610

From reading yall's posts, it seems like the main difference is the word DAMAGE: Splits, breakage, dry, brittle, thining etc.

As long as the hair is thriving, its healthy, its growing/retaining length,its all good.

We just need to avoid damage. Everything we do has the potential to damage our hair in one way or another.

Poohbear

Not arguing whether its damaged or not, I'm just fully expecting the same people preaching the damaged gospel everywhere. If you can have healthy relaxed hair then you can have healthy heat trained hair. If you can't have the healthy heat trained hair welp, sounds like you can't have healthy relaxed hair either, going off the definitions that everyone is using. So I guess I'm just confused why its ok to be alright with 'damaged' straight hair from a relaxer but not ok to be fine with 'damaged' straight hair from a flat iron? When someone says 'hey guys i'm going to relax' where are the armies of do gooders ready to set it straight? lol

lets just assume for the sake of not making this thread beating a dead horse (although its probably too late for that), that everyone who has permanent straight hair is in 'damaged denial'. Everyone can shake their head in dismay over their locks like I'm sure they do to all the relaxed threads on here :rolleyes: and go about their business :lol:

I think what got me was the 'it can't possibly be healthy, it must be ready to fall right of your head' vibe that got me more than anything. I mean for all that, hell what have a lot of ladies on LHCF been doing all this time then? :lol:
I agree with the bolded part. :yep:

When my hair was relaxed, it was not damaged. I just stopped relaxing because I hated getting relaxers. I hated the burning sensation and the smell. That's it.

I feel like healthy hair is hair that grows, looks good, good condition, and doesn't have a lot of splits and breakage.

You can get damaged hair from heat, relaxers, AND other things. That's what people fail to realized. Heat usage doesn't automatically cause damage. Relaxer usage doesn't automatically cause damage. It's all about technique and knowing your hair and what it can handle.

Not everyone can walk around with shrunken wet twists fros and puffs all day just so they can say "I have healthy hair free of relaxers and heat!"

Poohbear

From reading yall's posts, it seems like the main difference is the word DAMAGE: Splits, breakage, dry, brittle, thining etc.

As long as the hair is thriving, its healthy, its growing/retaining length,its all good.

We just need to avoid damage. Everything we do has the potential to damage our hair in one way or another.

Yes! That's what DAMAGE is to me. :up:

And I agree that the only thing that really matters is if your hair is thriving, growing, and retaining length.

EllePixie

I actually was discussing this is my friend awhile back and I agreed with her that the negative connotation of the word "damage" is what causes the most controversy/defense with the term...and we agreed (between us two, not trying to dub a universal term) that "weathering" would be more appropriate because altering the bonds of the hair strand makes hair more susceptible to breakage/splits/shedding, because even though the bonds reform differently they are weaker.

Mandy4610

Another observation I have made is that most people are saying heat training (OT: and relaxing) breaks down the bonds of hair. From what I have read, it doesn't sound like this breaking down of the bonds necessarily or automatically causes damage (thats why we see heat trained/relaxed healthy hair).

What causes the DAMAGE, is the excessive use of products or appliances that break down bonds (or shall we say damage occurs when bonds are excessively broken?)

Am I right?

EllePixie

Another observation I have made is that most people are saying heat training (OT: and relaxing) breaks down the bonds of hair. From what I have read, it doesn't sound like this breaking down of the bonds necessarily or automatically causes damage (thats why we see heat trained/relaxed healthy hair).

What causes the DAMAGE, is the excessive use of products or appliances that break down bonds (or shall we say damage occurs when bonds are excessively broken?)

Am I right?

Well that is the other "debate," what is damage? To me, if I have broken down the bonds in my hair and they will not revert back to their original state, to me I have damaged my hair. A LOT of things break the bonds in our hair, even water does, but when the bonds reform they go back to the original state. That's why in the beginning of the thread I was telling you that a major factor is intention.

I have seen some women straighten their hair say, for an entire winter or something like that, so they weren't paying attention to their curl pattern, and then when they try to go back to curly their hair is completely different. Then they make a thread crying about damaging their hair and how they have to transition again.

Or take Taren for instance, who straightened/diffused her hair and it loosened her pattern, and even though she still had fairly curly hair SHE called it damage.

So that is where I am confused...how can the EXACT same thing be called two different names?

Aireen

Although I agree with you EllePixie, if we expel the fancy name for 'heat training' the we should expel the fancy name for relaxing by calling them heat damage and chemical damage respectively. If we did that though, far less people would do it, there'd also be a decrease in sales for both flat irons and relaxers if that matters.

ETA: Any other process that has to truly alter hair's integrity should have a name replacement as well for the sake of being fair.

Last edited:

Mandy4610

Well that is the other "debate," what is damage? To me, if I have broken down the bonds in my hair and they will not revert back to their original state, to me I have damaged my hair. A LOT of things break the bonds in our hair, even water does, but when the bonds reform they go back to the original state. That's why in the beginning of the thread I was telling you that a major factor is intention.

I have seen some women straighten their hair say, for an entire winter or something like that, so they weren't paying attention to their curl pattern, and then when they try to go back to curly their hair is completely different. Then they make a thread crying about damaging their hair and how they have to transition again.

Or take Taren for instance, who straightened/diffused her hair and it loosened her pattern, and even though she still had fairly curly hair SHE called it damage.

So that is where I am confused...how can the EXACT same thing be called two different names?
Hmmmm, I see what you mean by that question. I guess the answer is different for everyone.
Some factors that could bring me to the conclusion that my hair is damaged are: breakage, splits, dry, brittle, doesn't retain length, thining, excessive shedding, limp etc. Just some thoughts.

Aireen

I wish there were books and more articles published by trichologists that actually are trained and study the science of hair to properly cover and define all these old and new terms, definitions, and topics. It would cause less debate because we'd have an up-to-date reference. :yep:

qchelle

Although I agree with you EllePixie, if we expel the fancy name for 'heat training' the we should expel the fancy name for relaxing by calling them heat damage and chemical damage respectively. If we did that though, far less people would do it, there'd also be a decrease in sales for both flat irons and relaxers if that matters.

You think so? Hmm...I disagree. I actually think people know that they are damaging their hair with relaxers but do it anyway because they prefer the look. Hence the term "creamy crack". I don't think calling relaxers "chemical damage" is going to stop BW from relaxing their hair. JMO. Oh, and I'm referring to BW not on hair boards.

Detroit2Dallas

so whats the conclusion? heat train = damaged hair and relaxer= damaged hair? I dont feel like reading. Hope there isnt much hyprocrisy in this thread:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Aireen

You think so? Hmm...I disagree. I actually think people know that they are damaging their hair with relaxers but do it anyway because they prefer the look. Hence the term "creamy crack". I don't think calling relaxers "chemical damage" is going to stop BW from relaxing their hair. JMO. Oh, and I'm referring to BW not on hair boards.

Oh there would be stans that would continue regardless but I think there would be some that would re-think the decision to relax. Like Caucasians with 2a-2c hair that may not really know what they're doing that slather on relaxer. Even some Blacks I would think would see the title and change their mind, especially if it's a spontaneous decision. Black men buy relaxers too, I can presume that some might indeed change their mind if the names were replaced with their 'true meaning'.

Last edited:

EllePixie

Hmmmm, I see what you mean by that question. I guess the answer is different for everyone.
Some factors that could bring me to the conclusion that my hair is damaged are: breakage, splits, dry, brittle, doesn't retain length, thining, excessive shedding, limp etc. Just some thoughts.

Definitely see your point. Another question though - couldn't a loosened curl be defined as limp? Or, more limp that your natural texture? I guess for me since I know why my hair is different I would feel it's damaged. Like, I don't think a curl loosened from henna is damaged because it's due to weight, you haven't actually altered the structure of the hair, and it's a temporary change. Yes, I know that some people can have their hair revert eventually from heat but often this is not the case.

Aireen

Definitely see your point. Another question though - couldn't a loosened curl be defined as limp? Or, more limp that your natural texture? I guess for me since I know why my hair is different I would feel it's damaged. Like, I don't think a curl loosened from henna is damaged because it's due to weight, you haven't actually altered the structure of the hair, and it's a temporary change. Yes, I know that some people can have their hair revert eventually from heat but often this is not the case.

To add to that heat can thin the hair to a certain degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.