WHAT EXACTLY IS HEAT TRAINING AND HOW DOES IT DIFFER FROM HEAT DAMAGE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandy4610

Heat training is the consistent application of heated appliances to natural hair, in order to permanently alter the texture. This alteration in texture generally results in hair that straightens more easily and remains straight longer. Heat training is nothing more than controlled heat damage, just like how relaxing is controlled chemical damage. The only difference between someone calling their hair heat damaged or heat trained is in intent and perception, because physically, they are the same thing.

And just because you straighten your hair frequently does not make your hair automatically heat trained. I see so many people saying that they heat train their hair, but their texture is the exact same way it came out of their heads. To me, if your texture has not been permanently altered in look and/or feel, then you do not have heat trained hair. You just have hair that you like to straighten. They aren't the same thing.

I also see people who claim that their hair has not been heat trained, because it shrinks when wet. Heat trained hair can and does revert from straight to curly. Depending on how loose the person has gone with their texture, it's not gonna be straight or even mostly straight all the time, since heat training =/= relaxer. Many people with heat trained hair still retain much of their natural texture and shrinkage. However, heat trained hair will never ever revert all the way back to what it was like when it first came out of your head.

lol, I don't think it's a complicated concept.
Thanks for the explanation, makes alot of sense.

It may not be a complicated concept, but its good to have this information. We all can make wiser decisions when we are armed with good information.:grin:

Thanks

LaFemmeNaturelle

I think discussing the difference is important also, yes there is controversy to it because people make it that way, but if someone is wanting to heat train, it is important for them to know the difference so they don't end up with unwanted results.

True but how many threads have discussed this difference or lack thereof? I don't see a need for everyone and their mother to put their opinion in a topic thats been discussed a thousand times. And usually, it's the same people that's giving the same answers. How does that help anyone? Having a support thread for people who are actually experiencing this is much more beneficial IMO. It's like people who try to tell long-term transitioners to stop because they are damaging their hair. Well wtf are you talking about and why should I listen to you when you BC'd at 3 months post? I'm interested in henna, so I appreciate going to the henna thread and reading the posts from people who actually henna. And I appreciate the people who have come forward after their hair has been damaged from henna. But listening to the science behind what damaged hair actually is and debating whether or not heat damage=heat training is not going to benefit me if I'm ready to start heat training.

ETA: There are videos on youtube that discuss these differences and document the process to "safely" heat train. Those videos along with the differences in opinions can be stated in the OP of a support thread. There's no need for a full conversation on the topic every couple of weeks. I'm not knocking you for creating this thread but THIS is not my idea of a support thread. It's a discussion and/or debate whereas a support thread would be for people who actually support the idea of heat training.

Last edited:

Mandy4610

True but how many threads have discussed this difference or lack thereof? I don't see a need for everyone and their mother to put their opinion in a topic thats been discussed a thousand times. And usually, it's the same people that's giving the same answers. How does that help anyone? Having a support thread for people who are actually experiencing this is much more beneficial IMO. It's like people who try to tell long-term transitioners to stop because they are damaging their hair. Well wtf are you talking about and why should I listen to you when you BC'd at 3 months post? I'm interested in henna, so I appreciate going to the henna thread and reading the posts from people who actually henna. And I appreciate the people who have come forward after their hair has been damaged from henna. But listening to the science behind what damaged hair actually is and debating whether or not heat damage=heat training is not going to benefit me if I'm ready to start heat training.

The discussions here have helped me to understand better, I don't know about others, but being the OP of this thread, I did get what I wanted from this thread. I think the problem is that as people we tend to read more into what others say (not talking about you, but in general).

Also, this was not a debate about whether heat training = Heat damage (The original post/question, didn't focus on that), people may have taken it that way, but that was not the intention. It was a question about what the difference is. I believe that if we know the difference, that will help us do it properly if we so wish.

I agree that those who are interested in heat training or those who are heat training can benefit from a support thread, I think that will be very helpful for people to do it properly.

Mandy4610

ETA: There are videos on youtube that discuss these differences and document the process to "safely" heat train. Those videos along with the differences in opinions can be stated in the OP of a support thread. There's no need for a full conversation on the topic every couple of weeks. I'm not knocking you for creating this thread but THIS is not my idea of a support thread. It's a discussion and/or debate whereas a support thread would be for people who actually support the idea of heat training.
Thanks for this information. My intent was not to start a support thread though. I had a question and I asked and got my answers. Thats all. I am a curious person, I love to gain knowledge that can benefit me at one point or another.

If someone can benefit from a support thread, then by all mean, they should start a support thread.

With the original intent of this thread in mind, I got what I needed from this discussion.

virtuenow

I have a better analogy than my 1st: The original question is like asking, "Is relaxed hair damaged hair, how does relaxed hair differ from damaged hair?" They are two totally different categories. Is combed hair damaged hair? See, the question is hard to answer b/c it's too simplified.

Last edited:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I'll give you my opinion on what it is :)
The disclaimer is I am over 50. So back in the day, i didnt know anyone who had a perm. They called perm Vigorol and it smelled terrible. And so for special occasions we would get a press and curl. Or sometimes for church. The hairdresser said she was "training" our hair so it would straighten easier. After the press was washed out or "sweated" out we could always get our "afro" back lol. Not sure if that is still what it means now.

Heat training involves using high heat to change your texture to a texture of your liking. It is different because the effect of the training is permanent and thus you can manage your hair easier and retain length. Thus, Brit called it a natural relaxer because you change the texture without chemicals. It's controversy because some feel you are damaging your hair by changing the texture in that way. Others just see it as a way to have the "relaxed" look without a relaxer or they see it as a way to retain their length.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
no shade, not reference to anybody anywhere, but....i really don't get the "brand-newness" of this topic lately :look:

Mandy4610

no shade, not reference to anybody anywhere, but....i really don't get the "brand-newness" of this topic lately :look:
I know you are not refering to anyone in particular. For me its not totally new, but its something that has come to mind more recently, hence this thread and trying to understand better. Its all in good faith, just looking for information.

Anne26

panda
I thought it was a nice thread, does it really matter if it's "new"? New people come to the board all the time. *looks at own join date*

I wasn't looking for this, because it isn't what I wish to do, so I wasn't even thinking about searching this subject. But I like to know things about hair, and use it to help someone later.

That other thread mentioned I have already read it, and it had a different light to it (less supportive). I'm glad you have gotten what you wanted OP, and I'm sure a lot of lurkers learned something too, I've been a lurker for about a year!

Solitude

I'll give you my opinion on what it is :)
The disclaimer is I am over 50. So back in the day, i didnt know anyone who had a perm. They called perm Vigorol and it smelled terrible. And so for special occasions we would get a press and curl. Or sometimes for church. The hairdresser said she was "training" our hair so it would straighten easier. After the press was washed out or "sweated" out we could always get our "afro" back lol. Not sure if that is still what it means now.

I agree with this. To me, heat training is an old school concept that has gotten a negative reputation due to the current trend to "embrace one's curls." Any and every thing that alters a person's curl pattern has a negative perception on the hair boards. When I think of heat training, I think of un-relaxed hair that either 1) has a loosened curl pattern or 2) straightens more easily than it used to because of the frequent use of heat. When I think of heat damaged hair, I think of breakage, splits, and reduced retention.

Mandy4610

I agree with this. To me, heat training is an old school concept that has gotten a negative reputation due to the current trend to "embrace one's curls." Any and every thing that alters a person's curl pattern has a negative perception on the hair boards. When I think of heat training, I think of un-relaxed hair that either 1) has a loosened curl pattern or 2) straightens more easily than it used to because of the frequent use of heat. When I think of heat damaged hair, I think of breakage, splits, and reduced retention.
Thanks for your explanation. It also makes sense and is very helpful for me.

Its good to see the different takes on this, gives me a wider perspective.

CurlyMoo

I'm more confused than ever about the difference now. Personally, I've never seen the difference between the two except the state of mine the person who views them both is in. Here is my take:

Heat Damage: Too much heat, damaged your hair to the point it won't revert back or it's limp and lifeless.
Heat Training: In denial that you have damaged your hair so let's give it a fancy name.

Rei

I don't really understand the controversy in these threads. People run around screaming damage damage damage which no one would dare say in a relaxed thread. The whole thing is being turned into some taboo.

bingo :giggle: I'm waiting for all of the ladies in here elaborating on how damaged all heat trained naturals are to come in on relaxed threads and talk about how chemically damaged all of their hair is. The bonds are broken right? Its just cuz all relaxed heads style it so it looks nice.

virtuenow

bingo :giggle: I'm waiting for all of the ladies in here elaborating on how damaged all heat trained naturals are to come in on relaxed threads and talk about how chemically damaged all of their hair is. The bonds are broken right? Its just cuz all relaxed heads style it so it looks nice.

Yes, I was wondering why no one ever asks this question about relaxers...Do they think relaxed hair is not damage hair? They explain how damaging heat is and "oh no, don't do that"; but I never see these people in threads when someone is about to relax and put strong chemicals directly on their head and scalp (not just the hair), and continue to do so every 4-6weeks. Not to mention that the majority will then also use regular heat on top of having "damaged" relaxed hair to further straighten their hair.

Kash

Yes, I was wondering why no one ever asks this question about relaxers...Do they think relaxed hair is not damage hair? They explain how damaging heat is and "oh no, don't do that"; but I never see these people in threads when someone is about to relax and put strong chemicals directly on their head and scalp (not just the hair), and continue to do so every 4-6weeks. Not to mention that the majority will then also use regular heat on top of having "damaged" relaxed hair to further straighten their hair.

Amen to this post! :up:
As if we all haven't seen 123,456,789 post of
"Help the relaxer chemicals ate my hair and burned my scalp off !:burning:

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
they are the same to me.

if i go natural again i intend to heat train/damage my hair.*shrugs*:ohwell:

when i was natural i did everything right. wore protective styles, dc'ed regularly, never used heat, never colored, satin pillow case etc. etc. etc. and my hair was a dry, brittle, broken mess with splits like you couldn't imagine. but because i was natural and the bonds of my hair weren't broken it was more healthy than relaxed or heat trained hair that has sheen, moisture, no splits and no breakage?:drunk:

Rei

Nope, all those relaxed ladies who have gorgeous lengths are in denial. They call it 'getting a relaxer' when its just a fancy word for CHEMICAL DAMAGE. I think its just messed up because it might mislead the masses into thinking this is ok! I'm sure that when their hair is wet it looks supergross, and eventually it will all fall off. :lol:

*tongue firmly in cheek

Rei

ladies, lets try to focus on what the topics is really about, please!

I'm sorry for derailing your thread a bit mandy, Its just kind of funny to see all the high-horsing that comes around on these threads that are suspiciously absent on other threads. :lol:

I think the others have answered your question sufficiently. :yep:

virtuenow

Ooops, sorry. since you said they answered the question, I figured it was safe to travel off on an edgy tangent. I'm satisfied now.

iri9109

relaxed hair is chemically damaged, but i think everyone knows and accepts that relaxers contain chemicals that break the bonds in hair (which is why the kinks and curls become straight)...i think the reason people are so quick to point out that heat training is damaging is because alot of people like to be in denial and think that heat training wont damage their hair because its not a chemical.

EllePixie

relaxed hair is chemically damaged, but i think everyone knows and accepts that relaxers contain chemicals that break the bonds in hair (which is why the kinks and curls become straight)...i think the reason people are so quick to point out that heat training is damaging is because alot of people like to be in denial and think that heat training wont damage their hair because its not a chemical.

This. Also, I think we all know what would happen if natural haired women started talking about relaxed hair and chemical damage.

Fine 4s

I've heard my instructor mention that relaxed hair is chemically damaged hair.
It still looks good though :)

Fine 4s

Here's a pic of my heat damaged/trained hair...
potato-potahto.

Attachments

• Just me.JPG
    Just me.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 229

Solitude

Nope, all those relaxed ladies who have gorgeous lengths are in denial. They call it 'getting a relaxer' when its just a fancy word for CHEMICAL DAMAGE. I think its just messed up because it might mislead the masses into thinking this is ok! I'm sure that when their hair is wet it looks supergross, and eventually it will all fall off. :lol:

*tongue firmly in cheek

I'm sorry for derailing your thread a bit mandy, Its just kind of funny to see all the high-horsing that comes around on these threads that are suspiciously absent on other threads. :lol:

I think the others have answered your question sufficiently. :yep:

Hi ladies. If you haven't noticed, ladies with relaxed hair receive plenty of heat around here (no pun intended).

I don't think anyone on LHCF argues that the hair's bonds are not being broken during the chemical relaxing process. IMO, we don't see much back and forth about relaxers anymore because the board is leaning towards natural hair as a preference. My hair is relaxed and I don't have a problem with anyone calling it "damaged" because I'm happy with my hair.

On topic, I don't think relaxing and heat training are that comparable. Heat-trained hair tends to retain more thickness than relaxed hair and ladies who heat train don't have to worry about chemical burns, over/under-processing, etc. Also, naturalists can wear straight hair without worrying about harmful chemicals.

Rei

Not arguing whether its damaged or not, I'm just fully expecting the same people preaching the damaged gospel everywhere. If you can have healthy relaxed hair then you can have healthy heat trained hair. If you can't have the healthy heat trained hair welp, sounds like you can't have healthy relaxed hair either, going off the definitions that everyone is using. So I guess I'm just confused why its ok to be alright with 'damaged' straight hair from a relaxer but not ok to be fine with 'damaged' straight hair from a flat iron? When someone says 'hey guys i'm going to relax' where are the armies of do gooders ready to set it straight? lol

lets just assume for the sake of not making this thread beating a dead horse (although its probably too late for that), that everyone who has permanent straight hair is in 'damaged denial'. Everyone can shake their head in dismay over their locks like I'm sure they do to all the relaxed threads on here :rolleyes: and go about their business :lol:

I don't think anyone on LHCF argues that the hair's bonds are not being broken during the chemical relaxing process. IMO, we don't see much back and forth about relaxers anymore because the board is leaning towards natural hair as a preference. My hair is relaxed and I don't have a problem with anyone calling it "damaged" because I'm happy with my hair.

I think what got me was the 'it can't possibly be healthy, it must be ready to fall right of your head' vibe that got me more than anything. I mean for all that, hell what have a lot of ladies on LHCF been doing all this time then? :lol:

Last edited:

Solitude

I think what got me was the 'it can't possibly be healthy, it must be ready to fall right of your head' vibe that got me more than anything. I mean for all that, hell what have a lot of ladies on LHCF been doing all this time then? :lol:

Oh, okay, I see. :lol:

Mandy4610

Ooops, sorry. since you said they answered the question, I figured it was safe to travel off on an edgy tangent. I'm satisfied now.
No problem. yes, I did get my questions answered, however, knowing how relaxed Vs Natural discussions end up, I didn't wanna go there.

Anyway....I love hair, no matter what state it is in.

Status
Not open for further replies.