What is 'good' hair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherokee-n-Black

C'mon guise! LOL! Stop with the GIFs and give me some actual responses.

And yes, good hair is healthy hair. We all, on this board, agree on that. What I'm asking is, what are people's opinions of the other definition of 'good' hair, basically the ignorant definition.

Honestly, I think your question's been answered. If you get 50 million responses, I'm not sure you'd really be any more enlightened.

SmileyNY

I have good hair b/c I have African in my family :look: Don't hate, y'all :lol:

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

pookaloo83

@Sheena284 I just asked a male friend and he pointed directly to your hair and few others in this thread.

LOL, he just asked if you're single!

Oh snaps!

LadyRaider

LOL! I'm not saying I don't, I have my own opinion I wanna see others.

Because people with long hair say they get the 'good hair' comments. As do people with large curls AND people with small curls. And people with silkier textures too, but then there are others with cottony textures that say they get told they have 'good' hair because they have curls or whatever so obviously people have varying definitions of what they think 'good' hair is.

There's your answer then. There is no one definition. Like beauty it is in the eye of the beholder. The contributor who said "healthy hair is good hair" provided just as valid a definition as anyone could. "Good hair is the hair that is on your head." Is just as valid.

I'mma leave this thread and go back to that neat question about behaviors of posters who have long hair.

bride91501

"Good Hair" = the OPPOSITE of my hair

GOOD HAIR = My Hair PERSONIFIED
(I know you didn't ask this, but I had to add it....sue me :grin:)

RocStar

And I mean the 'other' definition.

Yeah, we know that good hair is simply healthy hair, but that's not what a lot of people outside the hair boards think.

So what is 'good' hair and what is 'good' hair dependent on?

Is it dependent on the size of curl, (large v small) texture of the hair, (silky v cottony) length of the hair (long v short) or maybe a certain combo of all three? e.g. large curls, silky texture, long hair.

Or can someone just have one of the 'good' attributes and still be considered to have good hair?
e.g. small curls, silky texture, short hair.
or large curls, cottony texture, short hair.
or small curls, cottony texture, long hair.

Discuss?

:huh: :eh:

What is the point? Why are you asking? Do you want us to tell you that you have good hair? I just don't get it. :nono::nono:

:deadhorse:

snillohsss

I'm sorry... Why can't the OP ask her question without all the popcorn pics? Also, she's asking what's perceived as good hair, not your personal definition. I could understand all these gifs the thread went south but it's already popping up in the first page? Dang... :perplexed

OP to actually answer your question, what I've noticed as the public's definition of good hair can be all of these or some of these in combination:

- Hair that is loosely curled in texture; hair in the 3s rank
- Long hair that grows with ease — doesn't need oils, moisturizers, relaxers, leave-ins to ease handling
- Straightens easily in heat and can mimic hair that is in the 1s rank without sign of much texture
- If relaxed, doesn't need too much care or handling and grows past SL — APL and beyond usually

+1 ..........

SmileyNY

If you can take your ponytail down & your hair falls with no dents in it... You got that good hur.

If you can smooth your edges down using only water... Urm humph... U got that guud hur.

If you can go to white salons & they hook you up right... Guud hur, girl.

:lol: Im just kidding. :lachen: :lachen:

SheenaVee

:huh: :eh:

What is the point? Why are you asking? Do you want us to tell you that you have good hair? I just don't get it. :nono::nono:

:deadhorse:

No point, just a discussion because in that thread in OT someone said (as a joke) you are mixed if you have 'good' hair. So I wanted to know what exactly this 'good' hair is. Feel free to not participate in the discussion if it doesn't interest you.

And I have never been told I have 'good' hair or anything like that since going natural. People don't really give a damn about my hair in general.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
As a kid, I thought these chicks had the prettiest hair in the world:

Tatyana Ali
Chili from TLC
Ananda Lewis
Stacy Dash

I'm sure there are more, but these are off the top of my head. :yep:

Of course my opinion has changed since coming finding LHCF :) But I'm sure if you asked a "non hair board" person if any of these women had good hair, the answer would undeniably be yes. :yep:

SmileyNY

I'm sorry... Why can't the OP ask her question without all the popcorn pics? Also, she's asking what's perceived as good hair, not your personal definition. I could understand all these gifs the thread went south but it's already popping up in the first page? Dang... :perplexed

You gotta problem with mah popcorn gif??? :lol: JK

I posted my popcorn b/c I think this will be an interesting thread. Threads like this usually are.

Oh, and because I can.

Aireen

You gotta problem with mah popcorn gif??? :lol: JK

I posted my popcorn b/c I think this will be an interesting thread. Threads like this usually are.

Oh, and because I can.

Well I'm talking about the one with the girl falling down too. I mean I like the gifs as much as the next person, when they're appropriate. The OP is really just trying to ask a serious question to get serious answers (I hope). Honestly, couldn't people wait until they were a FEW pages in? Or until someone took a huge offense about what someone's definition of what good hair was? :lol: Anyway, like you said, because you can I guess. :yawn: :lol:

EDIT: I liked your definitions though. :lachen:

LadyRaider

No,
It seems the OP wants "ignant" definitions of good hair. Because not just any definition is appropriate. Saying healthy hair is good hair is inappropriate. Saying the hair on your head is wrong. Ignant definitions are approved and hoo hawed so far.

So I would think that to ask the question appropriately, it should be, "What ignant definitions of good hair can you think of?" I don't necessarily think it's a serious quesrion either.

SmileyNY

Well I'm talking about the one with the girl falling down too. I mean I like the gifs as much as the next person, when they're appropriate. The OP is really just trying to ask a serious question to get serious answers (I hope). Honestly, couldn't people wait until they were a FEW pages in? Or until someone took a huge offense about what someone's definition of what good hair was? :lol: Anyway, like you said, because you can I guess. :yawn: :lol:

This is a hair board. Not the pentagon :lol: Gifs don't stop anybody else from posting their opinion. No harm done. And the one of the girl falling was hilarious. :lachen:

Back OT: I was just on the phone with my sister & she said if it didn't hurt when your mom used to part your hair... You got good hair.

Whelp... I'm out of the running :lol:

SheenaVee

Meh. I was apprehensive about posting the thread but then I thought *** it. Lol. I even did a search first to see if there was a thread like this already so I didn't have to post but there wasn't.

There doesn't need to be any drama, no one's saying that these 'other' definitions are correct. Like I, and a few others have said, WE ALL KNOW THAT GOOD HAIR IS HEALTHY HAIR. I just wanted some insight on what people outside of the board, and BEFORE the board thought of when they thought, 'good hair'.

Thanks for the responses.

It's like, nearly 6am now so I'm gonna go to sleep. Night!

LongLeggedLife

I most find myself admiring jet black, long, super thick(the more of it the better), & fat hair(the fatter the better!).

Different people mean different things when they say it.

BraunSugar

If you are referring to my gif of the drag queen running away down the steps crazy, I posted it because that's just my sense of humor. Not much more to it. And I already know there is certain terminology around here that is kryptonite and kills all harmony. People take this forum pretty seriously (and I will never know the reason why) and then we have folks posting nine paragraphs because they felt personally wounded by folks they don't even know in real life. It happens all the time, so I posted the gif of the DQ running before the torchbearers come in and flip out.

RocStar

But people with 4a are considered 'good' haired too, no? See, this is why I'm asking. People have varying definitions.

At the bolded, Umm....exactly.

Let's not create a scene... :look: :lol: :perplexed

:giggle:

The OP is really just trying to ask a serious question to get serious answers

This is not a serious question, not by any stretch of the imagination.

No,
It seems the OP wants "ignant" definitions of good hair. Because not just any definition is appropriate. Saying healthy hair is good hair is inappropriate. Saying the hair on your head is wrong. Ignant definitions are approved and hoo hawed so far.

So I would think that to ask the question appropriately, it should be, "What ignant definitions of good hair can you think of?" I don't necessarily think it's a serious quesrion either.

Thank you LadyRaider. I totally agree with you.

SheenaVee

No,

Huh? I'm not LITERALLY asking what good hair actually is, I'm asking what the perception of 'good' hair off the boards and before the boards is.

Well, I guess, 'what ignant definitions...etc' would have been an appropriate title too.

pookaloo83

If you are referring to my gif of the drag queen running away down the steps crazy, I posted it because that's just my sense of humor. Not much more to it. And I already know there is certain terminology around here that is kryptonite and kills all harmony. People take this forum pretty seriously (and I will never know the reason why) and then we have folks posting nine paragraphs because they felt personally wounded by folks they don't even know in real life. It happens all the time, so I posted the gif of the DQ running before the torchbearers come in and flip out.

Why you explaining yourself girl? *Sucks teef*

Status
Not open for further replies.