What is 'good' hair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thaidreams

According to most people I know it's hair that waves up with water (type 2). I don't like to buy into that; personally I think healthy hair is the most important thing!

Kinkyhairlady

Good hair is healthy hair in my opinion.

Now if the hair is 4b/4c most folks want to see it long in order to say the person has good hair, if its short and nappy hmm no one is going to say thats good hair. People who have 3a/b with a noticeable curl pattern are considered to have good hair cause the hair is manageable with pretty little kinks. I don't mind the texture of hair, just as long it's healthy and lustrous.

BraunSugar

I googled it and got this:

:lol::lol::lol:

I know some people fake baby hairs on their lace fronts. :look:

What in S-Curl hell is this???? Ginuwine was DEAD. WRONG.

btw, I hate you so much for posting this. I'm on the phone and just screamed in somebody's ear. :lachen:

aa9746

And I mean the 'other' definition.

Yeah, we know that good hair is simply healthy hair, but that's not what a lot of people outside the hair boards think.

So what is 'good' hair and what is 'good' hair dependent on?

Is it dependent on the size of curl, (large v small) texture of the hair, (silky v cottony) length of the hair (long v short) or maybe a certain combo of all three? e.g. large curls, silky texture, long hair.

Or can someone just have one of the 'good' attributes and still be considered to have good hair?
e.g. small curls, silky texture, short hair.
or large curls, cottony texture, short hair.
or small curls, cottony texture, long hair.

Discuss?

I haven't read through this thread but I know by the world's standards I don't have good hair. God gave it to me so I'll work with what I have.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
No,
It seems the OP wants "ignant" definitions of good hair. Because not just any definition is appropriate. Saying healthy hair is good hair is inappropriate. Saying the hair on your head is wrong. Ignant definitions are approved and hoo hawed so far.

So I would think that to ask the question appropriately, it should be, "What ignant definitions of good hair can you think of?" I don't necessarily think it's a serious quesrion either.

:yep:

Well, if the OP asked for the "ignant' definition of good hair, she should expect people to act 'ignant' all up in this thread! :lachen:

I'm about to blow ish up with my annswer right now! :giggle:

Disclaimer: This is NOT what I think...I'm just giving the "ignant' answer to OPs question (this is a joke)

Gets into character........

Oh honey child, if you black at all, you know what 'good hair' means. Good hair is hair that don't look like a Brillo pad, tumble weed, coochie bush, taco meat, or cotton. If there is absolutely no curl pattern at all in your hair, you ain't got that good hair! As a matter of fact, even if it's curly, that don't make it good!

If we got to squint to see your curls, then it ain't good. If you need to use chemicals for it to actually look like hair and not the fur of an animal of if you need to put any ish in it...at all for it not to feel like hay and tangle to high heaven, then it ain't good! Permed hair is bad hair in disguise! If you need to burn it into submission to see any length, then it ain't good. Im just keeping it real!

If a curly style, equals prepoo, wash, put gel, oil, and some other leave-in ish in it, twist / braid, tie with satin or silk bonnet, wake up next day, take out twists / braids, mist with water, shake and don't touch...then you know that ish ain't good hair! :lachen: Good hair don't need all that ish done to it...all good hair girls gotta do is literally wash and go! They don't even have to use conditioner for their hair to look like smooth shirley temple tendrils shimmering in the sun!

If you have to cover it at night (and I do mean every night for the rest of your life) so you don't wake up with a dehydrated birds nest on your head, can go for months at a time without it snapping off and disintergrating in your hands if you don't put ish in it, and you can't claim mixed race because you have hair that 80 to 90 percent of the pure Blacks have, then it ain't good!

If you don't got hair that has high shine, blows in the wind, and is straight, smooth, and silky coming out the womb, and looks like those clear women in the shampoo commercials, then you got baaaaaaad hair (roll eyes and finger snap)!

Good hair is hair that a person can pull their hand through without it getting caught. You have good hair when you don't know or care what a sulfate is :look: Good hair can be touched without getting oil, gel or grease on your hands. Good hair doesn't need to be relaxed to comb through without it twisting in knots. I mean, did you have to ask? Even as kids, we knew which of us had good hair and bad hair! Tell me, which little dolls hair would you want to play with - Raggedy Ann or Barbie? .........nuff said!

Ignant enough for you?

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Soo wrong:dead: maybe I shouldn't be but I am..:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Well, if the OP asked for the "ignant' definition of good hair, she should expect people to act 'ignant' all up in this thread! :lachen:

I'm about to blow ish up with my annswer right now! :giggle:

Disclaimer: This is NOT what I think...I'm just giving the "ignant' answer to OPs question (this is a joke)

Oh honey child, if you black at all, you know what 'good hair' means. Good hair is hair that don't look like a Brillo pad, tumble weed, coochie bush, taco meat, or cotton. If there is absolutely no curl pattern at all in your hair, you ain't got that good hair! As a matter of fact, even if it's curly, that don't make it good!

If we got to squint to see your curls, then it ain't good. If you need to use chemicals for it to actually look like hair and not the fur of an animal of if you need to put any ish in it...at all for it not to feel like hay and tangle to high heaven, then it ain't good! Permed hair is bad hair in disguise! If you need to burn it into submission to see any length, then it ain't good. Im just keeping it real!

If a curly style, equals prepoo, wash, put gel, oil, and some other leave-in ish in it, twist / braid, tie with satin or silk bonnet, wake up next day, take out twists / braids, mist with water, shake and don't touch...then you know that ish ain't good hair! :lachen: Good hair don't need all that ish done to it...all good hair girls gotta do is literally wash and go! They don't even have to use conditioner for their hair to look like smooth shirley temple tendrils shimmering in the sun!

If you have to cover it at night (and I do mean every night for the rest of your life) so you don't wake up with a dehydrated birds nest on your head, can go for months at a time without it snapping off and disintergrating in your hands if you don't put ish in it, and you can't claim mixed race because you have hair that 80 to 90 percent of the pure Blacks have, then it ain't good!

If you don't got hair that has high shine, blows in the wind, and is straight, smooth, and silky coming out the womb, and looks like those clear women in the shampoo commercials, then you got baaaaaaad hair (roll eyes and finger snap)!

Good hair is hair that a person can pull their hand through without it getting caught. You have good hair when you don't know or care what a sulfate is :look: Good hair can be touched without getting oil, gel or grease on your hands. Good hair doesn't need to be relaxed to comb through without it twisting in knots. I mean, did you have to ask? Even as kids, we knew which of us had good hair and bad hair! Tell me, which little dolls hair would you want to play with - Raggedy Ann or Barbie? .........nuff said!

Ignant enough for you?

Skiggle

OMG THIS HAD ME :lachen::lachen::lachen:
The image that came to mind was a Transformer!

SheenaVee

shortdub78
I am not interested in creating drama on a hairboard :-/
Like someone said, I've been here since 2007 if I was here for drama I would have started it a long time ago.

Yes, I know it is a touchy subject, which is why in a previous post of mine I said I was hesitant to post it and even did a search first to see if there was a thread already on it.

YES, I know there have been countless threads where this subject has sort of mingled in but there has not been a specific thread asking, "WHAT WAS YOUR PERCEPTION OF 'GOOD HAIR' BEFORE THE BOARDS?" has there? If so, apologies for creating another one.

But still, can people not start threads they want to start now for fear of being accused of starting 'drama'? The only people starting the drama, ironically, are the people saying this is a thread for drama IMO.

The question is REALLY not that serious. All I was expecting was responses like, "I used to think good hair was ____ and ____ before the boards." Is that drama inducing stuff???? Jeez. :perplexed

Thanks for the responses.

Almaz

Still suspect and it was a valid thought I mean when people come up with stuff like this its suspect sorry if I was wrong.

It was Obtuese to me sorry if I am wrong

Goodbye to you :lachen:

@Almaz
I have a pic of my hair as my siggy ALL the time. This thread has nothing to do with my hair.

Goodbye to you too.

SheenaVee

Almaz
But what's 'suspect' about it? It's a hair board and I have a pic of my hair as my siggy. :perplexed

And I have clearly said:
YES I KNOW WHAT GOOD HAIR IS, I'M NOT TRYING TO ACT LIKE I DO NOT. WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS WHAT YOU THOUGHT GOOD HAIR WAS BEFORE YOU GOT TO THE BOARDS AND NOW KNOW GOOD HAIR IS SIMPLY HEALTHY HAIR.

I'm really not understanding why people are refusing to acknowledge that part and are coming in here with their sideeyes and their theories.

Natural-K

The "coolie" thing is new to me too. What's the origin and where is it most commonly used (ie the south, east coast, london, etc)?

Almaz

You don't have to raise your voice but you answered your own question in your post I never really paid attention to pictures anyway. As I always thought Good hair was healthy hair. But we know that colonisation and the white man has ingrained in folks that good hair is hair that is closer to theirs no doubt about it. THIS is a fact. And this is why we have so many problems with all these hair and skin tone mess.

@Almaz
But what's 'suspect' about it? It's a hair board and I have a pic of my hair as my siggy. :perplexed

And I have clearly said:
YES I KNOW WHAT GOOD HAIR IS, I'M NOT TRYING TO ACT LIKE I DO NOT. WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS WHAT YOU THOUGHT GOOD HAIR WAS BEFORE YOU GOT TO THE BOARDS AND NOW KNOW GOOD HAIR IS SIMPLY HEALTHY HAIR.

I'm really not understanding why people are refusing to acknowledge that part and are coming in here with their sideeyes and their theories.

MariposaSexyGirl

Good hair to me before hair boards was hair that you could do absolutely anything to it and it would still grow long and still looked good. The end. Curl pattern,silky, and nappy was a mother fu&&in non factor :look:.

And white folks do have a "Good hair" thing too. The Kennedy's were a good example of good hair for white folks.

southerncitygirl

The "coolie" thing is new to me too. What's the origin and where is it most commonly used (ie the south, east coast, london, etc)?
Natural-K
this is a derogatory term that was originally used by the english ( to describe asian folks) and then it became jamaican because of obvious reasons but then came to mean being of mixed origin....i didn't know of this term until i moved to nyc from the south and started being around more west indians of african descent, but i only hear this word used loosely within the jamaican community.

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
Good hair to me before hair boards was hair that you could do absolutely anything to it and it would still grow long and still looked good. The end. Curl pattern,silky, and nappy was a mother fu&&in non factor :look:.

And white folks do have a "Good hair" thing too. The Kennedy's were a good example of good hair for white folks.

:yep: They sure do. I used to work with this white girl who always talked about how much she hated her hair. She would refer to it as "terrible" and "awful" because it was thin and limp and wouldn't hold a curl. She coveted the hair of another white girl who worked with us who had hair like Blair Warner (y'all remember her from the Facts of Life?). Her hair was shiny, thick, lush and full with voluminous body. She referred to her hair as "great hair".

She also commented frequently about how it isn't fair that Asians have "the best hair".

Those were the exact words she used.

cocosweet

:yep: They sure do. I used to work with this white girl who always talked about how much she hated her hair. She would refer to it as "terrible" and "awful" because it was thin and limp and wouldn't hold a curl. She coveted the hair of another white girl who worked with us who had hair like Blair Warner (y'all remember her from the Facts of Life?). Her hair was shiny, thick, lush and full with voluminous body. She referred to her hair as "great hair".

She also commented frequently about how it isn't fair that Asians have "the best hair".

Blair did have the bomb hair.

Almaz

Yes white people constantly complain about their hair ALWAYS never happy and yeah a lot of it IS Iccky I mean who wants 3 strands of Limp stringy hair where you have to put like 7,000 foils of highlights and lowlights to give the illusion that you have more than 3 strands of hair The place where I used to get my mani Pedis in my town you saw it all the time took forever for the colourist to line those foils up and when they washed the hair 2 strands plus one. but after the cut and blow dry it looked like more

SheenaVee

Almaz

Ok, thanks for your response. And sorry for shouting lol but it seemed as if you were just ignoring my previous posts.

Yes, I answered my question in the OP based on MY perception of it, I simply wanted to know if that was also what people used to think when they thought "oh, that chick has good hair", or if they had a different perception. Like you know when there are threads like: "Before the hair boards I used to ______." Well, it was meant to be something like that.

And there are different perceptions: some have responded that they used to think of it as loose curls, some have responded that they thought it was hair that was just easy to manage without chemicals, other people have even said straight hair is what they thought of. So it's just a thread on sharing past opinions. It wasn't intended for a debate or anything like that.

ladykpnyc

My family always used that term to describe long hair. Growing up, my hair was ridiculously long...it was thick and kinky, but still--as far as my family was concerned--good hair.

As far as I'm concerned, Good Hair is healthy hair. I don't recognize any other definition.

Last edited:

OsnapCnapp!

This is why I just REFUSE to have other black women as friends. You ask one question and it's the end of the world, man! :lol:

But you to answer your question with my own opinion Sheena284 I think the only people with "good" hair are babies. Babies have new-to-life, true virgin hair. From what I've witnessed and heard from others in real life, good hair is mixed-race hair or people who have diluted bloodlines, for instance, if someone has the ever-claimed "Indian" in their family or if their grandmother, great-grandmother, great grandfather, or whoever was white or "raped" (yes I have heard this unfortunately :perplexed) by someone white then they will have good hair passed down to them. "You got Indian, you got Mexican, you got White...etc" because those people believe they have such good hair. Soft, wavy hair that is easy to take care of.....that is society's view of "good hair".

OsnapCnapp!

My family always used that term to describe long hair. Growing up, my hair was ridiculously long...it was thick and kinky, but still--as far as my family was concerned--good hair.

As far as I'm concerned, Good Hair is hair is healthy hair. I don't recognize any other definition.

Oh my gosh how are you ladykpnyc! I miss you so much on youtube girl I didn't know you were on this board! I gotta go see if you have any new vids, wow! Longtime subscriber right here. I was subscribed to you LONG before I found this hair board.

Status
Not open for further replies.