WHAT IS THE BEST FLAT IRON FOR NATURAL 4B HAIR..

Best flat Iron for natural 4b hair?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mandy4610

I have a sedu, brand new. I bought it b/c it was on sale. my hair is not long enough to use it yet so I am not sure what the results would be like.

Chromia

Based on the posts and fotkis from 4b naturals, transitioners, and stretchers, I would say it's the Maxiglide. I think the FHI is a close second. I haven't used a flat iron since I've been transitioning, but if and when I buy one it will be a Maxiglide.

Mandy4610

Based on the posts and fotkis from 4b naturals, transitioners, and stretchers, I would say it's the Maxiglide. I think the FHI is a close second. I haven't used a flat iron since I've been transitioning, but if and when I buy one it will be a Maxiglide.
Thanks for responding...Who big are the plates on the maxiglide?

Chromia

Check out the Maxiglide info at at the HSN site. The plates on the Maxiglide XP (2") are wider than the Maxiglide MP plates (1.25"). Bed Bath & Beyond sells the MP if that's the one you want and you don't want to order from HSN.

Also check out d-rock's siggy, RegsWife's fotki, and MissMarie's fotki to see what a great job the Maxiglide does.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I have only used the Chi iron and a Jilbere flat iron on my natural hair, so I voted for the Chi iron. It gets my hair pretty straight and gives my hair a lot of movement and keeps my hair soft.

Back when I was transitioning, I tried the Maxiglide on my natural/relaxed hair and did not like it. Made my hair smell burnt and it was too bulky to handle.

iasade

I am natural and don't really straighten my hair too much, but I purchased the miniglide with the tiny teeth in it. It works well for me whenever I use it.

Mandy4610

Check out the Maxiglide info at at the HSN site. The plates on the Maxiglide XP (2") are wider than the Maxiglide MP plates (1.25"). Bed Bath & Beyond sells the MP if that's the one you want and you don't want to order from HSN.

Also check out d-rock's siggy, RegsWife's fotki, and MissMarie's fotki to see what a great job the Maxiglide does.
Thanks I will check those out.

I have only used the Chi iron and a Jilbere flat iron on my natural hair, so I voted for the Chi iron. It gets my hair pretty straight and gives my hair a lot of movement and keeps my hair soft.

Back when I was transitioning, I tried the Maxiglide on my natural/relaxed hair and did not like it. Made my hair smell burnt and it was too bulky to handle.
Thanks...I read the same thing on one of the maxiglide review sites.

I am natural and don't really straighten my hair too much, but I purchased the miniglide with the tiny teeth in it. It works well for me whenever I use it.
Thanks..I wondered about the miniglide..Is it just a smaller version of Maxiglide or is something else different about it?

msde13

Rusk is the bomb...I have compaired it to a CHI and a Sedu...and I returned them both...my rust is well insulated so it will not burn your fingers...plus it is ergonomical...and has a swival cord thingy...

Mandy4610

Rusk is the bomb...I have compaired it to a CHI and a Sedu...and I returned them both...my rust is well insulated so it will not burn your fingers...plus it is ergonomical...and has a swival cord thingy...
Ummm...never heard of that one is it Rust or Rusk?
ETA..I like that it does not burn the fingers.

Gemini350z

I just did my cousins 4b hair and I used my FHI, it turned out very straight, and still moisturized I set it on a fairly low setting as well.

Xavier

I think both the Chi and Sedu are great choices. I think that bad flat iron results have a lot to do with the products we use before and after.

I used my Sedu, and though I was satisfied with my results at 6 months post, I thought my hair would be straighter. Well I purchased the Silk Elements heat protectant for the first time last weekend and flat ironed my hair. The results were amazing!

In the end I think the combination of a quality flat iron and good heat protectant/leavin will give the best results.

Mandy4610

I think both the Chi and Sedu are great choices. I think that bad flat iron results have a lot to do with the products we use before and after.

I used my Sedu, and though I was satisfied with my results at 6 months post, I thought my hair would be straighter. Well I purchased the Silk Elements heat protectant for the first time last weekend and flat ironed my hair. The results were amazing!

In the end I think the combination of a quality flat iron and good heat protectant/leavin will give the best results.
Hey, thanks for the response. What is your flat Ironing technic?

Xavier

Hey, thanks for the response. What is your flat Ironing technic?

It really depends. Let me start by saying I am not natural but I do long stretches, I just relaxed after 6 months two weekends ago.

I cowash, then apply a quarter size of leavin to my entire head. Then I apply a dime size of grapeseed or olive oil. Then I let my hair air dry.

I start from the nape area parting in small sections. I spray the heat protectant and then flat iron.

I sometimes blow dry on cool/lowest setting as well if I am in a hurry after I cowash. I blowdry in small sections as well using a widetooth comb in one hand and the blowdryer in the other. Then once again I apply my heat protectant to small sections and flat iron.

Mandy4610

It really depends. Let me start by saying I am not natural but I do long stretches, I just relaxed after 6 months two weekends ago.

I cowash, then apply a quarter size of leavin to my entire head. Then I apply a dime size of grapeseed or olive oil. Then I let my hair air dry.

I start from the nape area parting in small sections. I spray the heat protectant and then flat iron.

I sometimes blow dry on cool/lowest setting as well if I am in a hurry after I cowash. I blowdry in small sections as well using a widetooth comb in one hand and the blowdryer in the other. Then once again I apply my heat protectant to small sections and flat iron.
Thanks you. That technic sounds good!

cassedy94

i use the corioliss, and it has worked really well for me. I use it on a low/medium setting and it makes my hair silky and smooth without drying it out at all.

beaux cheveux

Great thread. Now I know what to buy instead of wasting my money. Not meaning to hijack or anything but what is the best flat-iron for fine hair? You know one that doesn't make your hair look thin and see-through like you had too many bad relaxers. (I have a problem with this even though my hair is healthy and I relax about three times a year my home) and what are the best products to use before flatironing? Do you get better results if you blow-dry first?

Ms Lala

I don't think the Maxiglide will work well on shorter hair. It is big and bulky, I like it because I can get my hair flat ironed pretty quickly with it but on the front of my hair where it's shorter it's a little harder to use. I have used the FHI and it worked pretty well on my hair also. I liked that the FHI had a temp control. think most QUALITY ceramic irons work pretty much the same in terms of straightening, it's really the products/technique that matters. I have seen people w/4b hair get their hair super straight w/a cheapy conair iron but the technique they used was key.

Mandy4610

I don't think the Maxiglide will work well on shorter hair. It is big and bulky, I like it because I can get my hair flat ironed pretty quickly with it but on the front of my hair where it's shorter it's a little harder to use. I have used the FHI and it worked pretty well on my hair also. I liked that the FHI had a temp control. think most QUALITY ceramic irons work pretty much the same in terms of straightening, it's really the products/technique that matters. I have seen people w/4b hair get their hair super straight w/a cheapy conair iron but the technique they used was key.
Thanks for this feedback. I was thinking the same thing about the maxiglide.
I have tried the Sedu on my TWA and I am not quite sure that it would get my hair straight enough. Maybe we will see after my hair is longer.

brownsugarflyygirl

Marcels work best for my hair.... but I dont know how to use them...so I leave that for my stylist.

Otherwise....I use the Jibere flat iron. It gets my hair straight without taking away all my volume. I like that.