What is the real reason black stylist are so scissor happy?

Kinkyhairlady

I know some say jealousy but it can't be the only reason. I ask this cause today I got a trim at Supercuts by a white stylist and she was awesome. I asked for at least a 2 inch trim and her response was " I'm gonna start with the bare minimum and we'll work from there because I don't want to take off too much".

Whenever I go to a black salon they are always more then willing to give me a haircut instead if a trim. I also notice at super cuts you're facing the mirror and other salons they turn you around why is that?

Now I'm not saying all black stylist are scissor happy but all the ones I've been to were, and I've been to a lot over the years.

Eiano

Don't know, but it happens at dominican salons too.. they fuss with you about trims... my white stylist gave me a "dusting" even though the front of my hair is much shorter than the back. (that's just how my hair grows)... Black and Dominican stylists always want to even me up and chop chop.:sad:

SmileyNY

Ignorance & miseducation. Most beauty schools suck. How in the hayel is cutting your hair every two weeks good for growth if hair only grows a half an inch per month?!

My aunt is a talented stylist... but she is still scissor happy. Boggles my mind. She's not allowed to touch my hair. "Let me do your hair for your bday..."

Um... :nono:

Sent from my iPhone. It does EVERYTHING :grin: ...except make calls :ohwell:

Tamster

Don't know, but it happens at dominican salons too.. they fuss with you about trims... my white stylist gave me a "dusting" even though the front of my hair is much shorter than the back. (that's just how my hair grows)... Black and Dominican stylists always want to even me up and chop chop.:sad:

right... and it usually (at least IME) has no style. just a dang bowl.

In general im not a fan of traditional black salons. I think that CS is lacking, 'styling' needs work (IME.....), and its always a CUT based on what THEY want.. not what you want.

Kinkyhairlady

See I never had this issue at Dominican salons. They trim very differently too like just around the perimeter like the hair is one length and they never took off too much. Most Dominican women have long hair and I don't see jealousy being a factor with them. Also when I go to their salons I see only beautiful heads of hair on every women in there.

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
Misinformation. I don't believe that ALL black stylists are jealous haters out to get anyone with decent looking hair on their head.

Charla

I think it's a variety of things.
#1 being that our hair is SUPPOSED to be SL maximum. Anything beyond that is mythical, "good hair", special secrets that they don't possess or know how to obtain.

#2 Believing that cutting your hair makes it grow.

#3, and I think really the key is they are scissor happy out of historical habit meaning that's how they were taught, that's what they see other stylists do, that's all they've seen, so in their estimate, "it must be right" to cut, cut, cut. It's like the old story of 3 generations repeating an action. The daughter buys a roast and cuts the end off. She doesn't know why she cuts it off, but she knows her mother did it. So she asks her mother, "Why do you cut off the end of your roast?" Her mother says, "I don't know. I just know my mother did it." So Mother asks her mother. Her mother(grandmother) replies, "Because my pan was too short."

kupenda

Maybe a good trim is referred to as anything that isn't insanely drastic. So to them, a 4 inch trim was taught to be just a trim. If I lose 4 inches of hair, I may as well BC and go natural. Or maybe whites are used to long hair or they care abt it more/differently so they aren't willing to take so much off. Whatever the reason, I'm going to the whitest hair cuttery I can find. I don't trust the stylists near me. And not just cuz they are ghetto fabulous. Cuz I have seen the horror they have turned my sisters hair into and I'm currently nursing it back to health. I'm not interested in any setbacks of my own. And call it racist if you please. Because it is precisely that. Racist. Mean. And from my experience, very true

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

HappilyLiberal

Because they are more interested in style than health. The quickest way to clean up a messy style when hair is not in the best condition is to trim those ends straight.

lboogie2679

I only go to Supercuts for my trims. They always do a good job and they do exactly what I want. 10 minutes of my time and less than $20.00 including a good tip. My hair is the longest its ever been. I think white salons are "used" to dealing with long hair and that's why they give better results. Black salons focus on the here and now, not what your goals are for growth. They want a finished product once you leave. They are so used to cutting weave that they don't understand how to "trim" hair that is in the process of being grown out.

Solitude

Well *sometimes* clients really do have a lot of splits and breakage. Besides that, I think stylists want to final style to be neat and uniform.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF app

Kinkyhairlady

Well *sometimes* clients really do have a lot of splits and breakage. Besides that, I think stylists want to final style to be neat and uniform.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF app

I agree sometimes the ends are jacked up but that is not always the case. Once I got a trim at another salon and 2 weeks later I go to my regular stylist and she claimed I needed a trim and I said no I trimmed a couple of weeks ago. Do you know she whipped out her scissors so fast a gave me a trim anyways and had the nerve to charge me $10. I was young and dumb.

I do think black stylist like the uniform look, a good trim is beautiful but if someone is trying to grow their hair then those stylist need to respect that.

Natty_Virgo

I remember a time she was about to trim my hair and I was like whoa hold on do I need one, she was like well no, um then put the damn scissors up. Im so glad I don't have to deal with salons anymore

Sent from my DROID3 using DROID3

mjphair

This lady came in today for a wash, condition, blow, and trim.... as I was trimming I made sure to show her everything I cut. She chuckled and said "I see your not scissor happy" lol She was relaxed and had nice strong apl hair. I find it so stupid to get jealous of someone else's long hair and chop them up.... Just take care of yours and grow it. Dont hate a b**** cause you aint a b**** lol

greenandchic

I think it's a variety of things.
#1 being that our hair is SUPPOSED to be SL maximum. Anything beyond that is mythical, "good hair", special secrets that they don't possess or know how to obtain.

#2 Believing that cutting your hair makes it grow.

#3, and I think really the key is they are scissor happy out of historical habit meaning that's how they were taught, that's what they see other stylists do, that's all they've seen, so in their estimate, "it must be right" to cut, cut, cut. It's like the old story of 3 generations repeating an action. The daughter buys a roast and cuts the end off. She doesn't know why she cuts it off, but she knows her mother did it. So she asks her mother, "Why do you cut off the end of your roast?" Her mother says, "I don't know. I just know my mother did it." So Mother asks her mother. Her mother(grandmother) replies, "Because my pan was too short."

Don't forget "mixed". :nono:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Its because blunt ends look better than ragged ones.they probably dont want their clients coming out of their salon with some rageddy ann ends.their clients are their advertisement.

silenttullip

I don't think its school my siblings are all "master cosmolotologists" w/e that means, all have been scissor happy since they were teens... I think its part jealousy and part obsession with cutting even. They focus on things being even and then cut too much.

Keen

This lady came in today for a wash, condition, blow, and trim.... as I was trimming I made sure to show her everything I cut. She chuckled and said "I see your not scissor happy" lol She was relaxed and had nice strong apl hair. I find it so stupid to get jealous of someone else's long hair and chop them up.... Just take care of yours and grow it. Dont hate a b**** cause you aint a b**** lol

I really don't think it has anything to do with Jealousy.
mjphair are you in south florida?

I have a stylist who is not scissor happy at all. I trust her to trim whatever she think is best. Sometimes she cuts so little I'm like did you cut any? I love her but still look for an LHCF member stylist.

rririla

There are a lot of valid points being made in this thread but, I also think that some stylists like to cut because they need for you/us to be REPEAT customers, if they give you a cut that you cannot maintain on your own, then you will have no choice but to go back to them....I.E. they ensure a steady paycheck for themselves.:rolleyes:

I also don't think most stylists are malicious, they are just in a business where the end ''look'' of the hair is what matters and very ''style-ized'' hair is rampant in our communities.

Last edited:

Kurlee

i think they don't believe that you're supposed to or can have long hair unless it's "good hair", so they cut it.

I think most black salons focus on cutting styles so in school the emphasis was on that. Whites have to master trimming for doing short men's haircuts regularly and since they work with more dyed/bleached clients with type 1a, they know that light trims are necessary. This is a complete generalization :)

SimJam

Ive always thought it was because shorter hair dried faster, styles faster etc and they want to be able to do more clients

well my hair takes forever to dry and when I was relaxed and around APL my hair took abt 2.3 - 3 hours to dry in a roller set, before the salon I went to got some super huge rollers .... and spiral sets clawwd hammercy I always left the salon with them in my hair

and my stylist once suggeted that I cut my hair so it wud dry faster :ohwell:

iCandyc

See I never had this issue at Dominican salons. They trim very differently too like just around the perimeter like the hair is one length and they never took off too much. Most Dominican women have long hair and I don't see jealousy being a factor with them. Also when I go to their salons I see only beautiful heads of hair on every women in there.

OMG Dominicans are the #1 offenders, probably worse than black stylists. Everyone that I know who goes to dominican salons say the same thing!! Last time I went for a "trim" I got a CUT in layers. I didn't get a professional trim in like maybe 3 years I was doing it myself and I decided to give in and I never regret anything as much as I did that.

MsDee14

I think it's just because they like to have a polished finish and blunt ends offer that. I always ask them to show me how much they are going to cut off before they actually do..but sometimes that doesn't work.

thickness

I think it's just not being educated on hair in general, especially hair in its natural state. I had a stylist tell me that her flat iron would not straighten hair that was dead or damaged. :perplexed So of course, if you do not know how to straighten natural 4a/b textured hair, the ends come out looking crunchy. This heifer proceeds to cut my hair, and I didn't even notice it until wash day when my hair was considerably shorter. I estimated that she probably chopped off 4-6 inches. :blush: This was years ago, and since then I let NO ONE touch my hair with scissors, black or white. My friend is a hair stylist and I told her I might let her give me my next trim, but that it would be very well supervised. :yep:

PinkGirlFluff

I learned how to cut my own hair so if it's jacked up I only have myself to blame. lol. As far as race is concerned I don't think that's the issue. It's really hit or miss when it comes to hair stylist in general. You might have to show with your fingers how much hair you need cut off because a trim can be an inch to one person or a dusting to another. I trim my own ends for that very reason. I have a healthy fear of salons.

Carrie A

OMG Dominicans are the #1 offenders, probably worse than black stylists. Everyone that I know who goes to dominican salons say the same thing!! Last time I went for a "trim" I got a CUT in layers. I didn't get a professional trim in like maybe 3 years I was doing it myself and I decided to give in and I never regret anything as much as I did that.

This happened to me at a Dominican salon. I was told I needed a trim but I ended up with a layered cut. Then they tried to charge me for a cut. I was like heck naw.

Last edited: