What is the real reason black stylist are so scissor happy?

greenandchic

OMG Dominicans are the #1 offenders, probably worse than black stylists. Everyone that I know who goes to dominican salons say the same thing!! Last time I went for a "trim" I got a CUT in layers. I didn't get a professional trim in like maybe 3 years I was doing it myself and I decided to give in and I never regret anything as much as I did that.

Dumb question, but aren't Dominicans black? I never been to a Dominican salon before (stuck on the west coast :lol:), but I got the impression that they (and the salons) were mostly black.

prettybyrd

I think it's just not being educated on hair in general, especially hair in its natural state. I had a stylist tell me that her flat iron would not straighten hair that was dead or damaged. :perplexed So of course, if you do not know how to straighten natural 4a/b textured hair, the ends come out looking crunchy. This heifer proceeds to cut my hair, and I didn't even notice it until wash day when my hair was considerably shorter. I estimated that she probably chopped off 4-6 inches. :blush: This was years ago, and since then I let NO ONE touch my hair with scissors, black or white. My friend is a hair stylist and I told her I might let her give me my next trim, but that it would be very well supervised. :yep:

What?!?!! :lachen: That's ridiculous for a few reasons. First, I thought that all hair was dead once it breaks through the scalp. And second, she is a stylist - I'm assuming a licensed cosmetologist - and she didn't know that?

Also, does her flat iron just turn itself off and refuse to straighten "dead or damaged hair" by jumping out of her hand! :lachen: And if she means it does not get hot enough...buy a new one that does!?

The stuff people say sometimes is just too much! :) And good idea not to go back to that woman. 4-6 inches of hair is A LOT of hair to "trim".

Onhergrind09

I recently went to the salon to get a trim and I walked out missing three inches, which made me 1) decide to do my own trims from here on out and 2) made me consider this exact question :/

Rae81

I go to hair cuttery and the lady I go to always ask like she scared to cut my hair which I like. I went to a Dominican stylist a week ago for a trim she asked me how much I wanted cut off and showed me how much she was gonna cut before she did it

Sent from my PG86100 using PG86100

Missigirl

My experience has been that most black stylist don't think like business women or men, "the customer is always right". If they would just think like that it would help their business alot. Most just think they know what's best for our hair and cut off the amount they "think" needs to be cut and ignore what the customer wants. I have a close relative that I use to let style my hair but now that I know better I do my own hair.

iCandyc

Dumb question, but aren't Dominicans black? I never been to a Dominican salon before (stuck on the west coast :lol:), but I got the impression that they (and the salons) were mostly black.

well I guess technically some dominicans are black just like any other latino group, however if you tell them they're black some will get offended (cuz you know, being black is "terrible" )

Raspberry

I think it's just not being educated on hair in general, especially hair in its natural state. I had a stylist tell me that her flat iron would not straighten hair that was dead or damaged. :perplexed So of course, if you do not know how to straighten natural 4a/b textured hair, the ends come out looking crunchy. This heifer proceeds to cut my hair, and I didn't even notice it until wash day when my hair was considerably shorter. I estimated that she probably chopped off 4-6 inches. :blush: This was years ago, and since then I let NO ONE touch my hair with scissors, black or white. My friend is a hair stylist and I told her I might let her give me my next trim, but that it would be very well supervised. :yep:

I swear reading stuff like this gives me heart palpitations :nono::nono:

PatTodd

Ive always thought it was because shorter hair dried faster, styles faster etc and they want to be able to do more clients
:ohwell:

This right here^^^^^is the reason. They cut your hair shorter so that they have less hair to style. They turn you away from the mirror so that you can't see what they're doing. I've even had them kick the hair from the floor around the chair so I couldn't see what they were doing. What other profession do you know of that lets you give your client a service they don't want or need (a big trim or haircut) AND charge them extra for it? At what point does WHAT I WANT enter into this equation??????

oops...didn't mean to go off. Woo-sahhh :lachen:

greenandchic

well I guess technically some dominicans are black just like any other latino group, however if you tell them they're black some will get offended (cuz you know, being black is "terrible" )

LOL, thanks! I guess looking back when I used to get my hair braided in the '90, it was at a Haitian salon and they tried to disassociate themselves from their Black American customers as much as possible - aside from taking our money. I never understood why...:spinning:

(Back to your regularly scheduled topic).

naheda72

I received a trim less than a month ago and I asked for no more than 1 inch to be cut. she agreed, but by the time she was through, she said I know I agreed to 1 inch, but I am not thinking about you. She had already cut about 2 1/2 inches. This was not jealousy, but probably had more to do with wanting to even it up. This is the reason I hadn't been to her for a trim in 1.5 years, because at that time she evened the back with the front which was shorter and cut 3 inches. So it could be various reasons, but I think the more styled, even look and making styling easier are the more likely answers. She did hint that she doesn't really like doing my hair, because it is thick,kinky and somewhat long. Before the trim/cut, I was mbl(1.5 from waist), now I am bsl.

Seamonster

I live in a white neighborhood, and have white, and asian friends. I have walked by salon windows and seen white stylist put the scissors at a trim, spin the chair and raise it a foot up.

My Asian friend took her knee length hair to a salon for asian folks and came out with a bowl cut. I personally believe the thin haired stylist was jealous, I was so mad because my friend had mythical thick beautiful hair.

I had couple white friends that grew their hair to hip length, went in for a trim and came out with hair so short they started wearing extensions. In fact, my white friends get butchered a lot more than my black ones. We never know what to expect when they have to go in for that dreaded trim. They just pick up some clip on extensions and keep it moving.

Supercuts hires fresh out of beauty school stylist, and trains them in the super cut techniques. They chopped all of my stuff off one time.

I am writing this because I don't want anybody who has beautiful long hair to think the color of a hairstylist determines how much of your hair is cut off. They will all hack your stuff off, and charge you for the privilege.

Best thing to do is get recommendations, then go walk by the salon and watch them.

greenandchic

I live in a white neighborhood, and have white, and asian friends. I have walked by salon windows and seen white stylist put the scissors at a trim, spin the chair and raise it a foot up.

My Asian friend took her knee length hair to a salon for asian folks and came out with a bowl cut. I personally believe the thin haired stylist was jealous, I was so mad because my friend had mythical thick beautiful hair.

I had couple white friends that grew their hair to hip length, went in for a trim and came out with hair so short they started wearing extensions. In fact, my white friends get butchered a lot more than my black ones. We never know what to expect when they have to go in for that dreaded trim. They just pick up some clip on extensions and keep it moving.

Supercuts hires fresh out of beauty school stylist, and trains them in the super cut techniques. They chopped all of my stuff off one time.

I am writing this because I don't want anybody who has beautiful long hair to think the color of a hairstylist determines how much of your hair is cut off. They will all hack your stuff off, and charge you for the privilege.

Best thing to do is get recommendations, then go walk by the salon and watch them.

That is key. The two people I've ever allowed to cut my hair was an old-school southern black women whom I saw for years (childhood to my early 20s) who didn't believe in women having short hair (she NEVER cut as much as I wanted her to :lol:) and a white woman last year who never turned my head away from the super large mirror and showed me her every move.

LadyPaniolo

I don't know the definitive answer to WHY they do it, but I know that they DO hack off my hair at every opportunity. So I stopped giving them the opportunity to mess up my head :yep: DIY, Do or Die. :armyhat:

SvelteVelvet

right... and it usually (at least IME) has no style. just a dang bowl.

In general im not a fan of traditional black salons. I think that CS is lacking, 'styling' needs work (IME.....), and its always a CUT based on what THEY want.. not what you want.

YES! The last black hairdresser I had actually argued with me about the amount of hair to cut. She was doing a trim and the front sides of my hair was finally growing past my chin and I told her "Don't cut too much of the sides" And she's like "But I want it.." and brought her hands up to the middle of her face and I said "Well I want to it pass that.." Like chick, I'm paying you to do my hair the way I want it, not the way YOU want it! Ridiculous..so glad I became a DIYer.

naturalgyrl5199

I think its training....the lady who cuts my hair at Great Clips (its like Supercuts) is black and she always starts with the minimum too. Plus she spends 99% of her time cutting hair of people of all races and textures, etc. So she has perfected cutting/trimming etc. Black salons see a lot of broken off/damaged hair so they are used to needing to cut
More off so they tend to think everyone needs a big trim....may be some is jealousy but a lot is training and what they see regularly. IMO

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

ezina

I think its training....the lady who cuts my hair at Great Clips (its like Supercuts) is black and she always starts with the minimum too. Plus she spends 99% of her time cutting hair of people of all races and textures, etc. So she has perfected cutting/trimming etc. Black salons see a lot of broken off/damaged hair so they are used to needing to cut
More off so they tend to think everyone needs a big trim....may be some is jealousy but a lot is training and what they see regularly. IMO

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

@the bolded

Yeah, I totally agree. The jealousy argument just doesn't hold up. Stylists see too many people a day to have time to be jealous of one person. It think it's training and what they're used to seeing.

Yellowflowers

I used to be a stylist and make no mistake a lot of it is jealousy and some is misinformation. That old adage, "If you want it to grow, you must let go" was what they taught in school.

However when I really got into hair care, I learned that if your stylist is always having to trim your end, she is not caring for your hair properly and is not skilled in hair repair.

I also learned that trimmed hair does not cause the hair to be healthy. The ends are just neater. The hair can still be damaged and weak.

Bottom line, You have to speak up. Its your money, your hair. A beautician should only do what the customer asks.

Last edited:

lovegymnasts

Its because blunt ends look better than ragged ones.they probably dont want their clients coming out of their salon with some rageddy ann ends.their clients are their advertisement.

You will lose your clients and any clients they may have referred to you by doing things they do not want you to do .
Word of mouth is the best or the worse advertisement.

mjphair

I really don't think it has anything to do with Jealousy.
@mjphair are you in south florida?

I have a stylist who is not scissor happy at all. I trust her to trim whatever she think is best. Sometimes she cuts so little I'm like did you cut any? I love her but still look for an LHCF member stylist.

I used to now I'm back in NYC.... and about ur stylist stick with her. It's hard to come by #GOOD_PEOPLE that u trust in ur hair.

belletresse

No one EVER touches my hair with scissors. I don't care if it's Frederic frickin' Fekkai himself. For all of the reasons mentioned, I trim and dust my own hair. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone serious about growing long hair doesn't learn how to trim their ends, or better yet, keep them healthy so that they don't ever spilt.

When I go to a new stylist, I tell them in no uncertain terms that they will not be trimming or cutting my hair. All I need for them to do is put the relaxer in safely, neutralize, deep condition and give me a roller set. If they grumble, I have a trick that works every time. I tell them I'm going out that night and I don't want a comb out. I always walk out of the salon with the curls from the rollerset in place.

Last edited:

Anavrin

Don't forget "mixed". :nono:

I absolutely f^^king HATE that theory with the passion of 1000 super suns. I am as lightskinned as lightskinned gets, im 75% white, and i can assure you i came out with hair the same damn texture of kunta Kente. I didnt come out with the gorgeous 2 or 3abc textured hair that many biracial women get, but of course, when i do hit WL, other people will think it was like that my whole life, not realizing it took YEARS of trial and error to get it right. Ugh. sorry... *simmers down* I know many of you ladies will have it worse with hateful people weave checkin, doubting, making rude and snide comments, trying to cut your hair, and as discussed in another thread, setting your hair on fire out of jealousy.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I used to be a stylist and make no mistake a lot of it is jealousy and some is misinformation. That old adage, "If you want it to grow, you must let go" was what they taught in school.

However when I really got into hair care, I learned that if your stylist is always having to trim your end, she is not caring for your hair properly and is not skilled in hair repair.

I also learned that trimmed hair does not cause the hair to be healthy. The ends are just neater. The hair can still be damaged and weak.

Bottom line, You have to speak up. Its your money, your hair. A beautician should only do what the customer asks.

This is what it all boils down to. They don't know any better. They think trims help your hair grow. :nono: It does make the style look neater and that's all that some people care about.

That's why consultations are so important. Tell them what your goals are and see what they have to say about a plan of action. If you don't like what they have to say, walk.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
No one EVER touches my hair with scissors. I don't care if it's Frederic frickin' Fekkai himself. For all of the reasons mentioned, I trim and dust my own hair. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone serious about growing long hair doesn't learn how to trim their ends, or better yet, keep them healthy so that they don't ever spilt.

THIS RIGHT HERE! Some things you just don't leave to chance. It's just too much time, and money that we've put into our hair, to give to a stylist to do as They please.

I bought a SplitEnder. Done.

LunaGorgeous

I definitely understand the frustration on both sides. And I think the misunderstandings from the both client/stylist's perspective lies in what stylists are actually trained to do. Hair stylists are in the field of cosmetology. Cosmetology is all AESTHETICS, meaning they mainly focus on the looks of things. Not necessarily the health of it.

So when you go to a salon, the stylist assumes you want them to style, meaning create a look regardless of hair health. And when you ask them not to trim (or to trim a certain way), it puts them in an awkward position because they may not understand what you mean, since they only focus on styling, and not hair health practices. There's a sort of disconnect, because many people go to hair salons/stylists, to fix their hair health issues, which is usually a recipe for disaster. That's why some people find that when they say DON'T TRIM the stylist still tries to sneak in those scissors, since stylists view their clients as visual business cards/advertising when you walk out.

Luckily I don't deal with salons/stylists...lol. I don't trust my hair with anyone.

I'm sure it's very rare to find a salon/stylist that will wholeheartedly cater to your personal needs.

longfroinghair

I'm thinking it's culture too. The same way we were taught not to wash our hair too often, or to use grease everyday to make our hair grow...black stylists are taught that cutting the hair regularly makes it grow. And of course, many black women really are trying for hair growth

My Friend

I absolutely f^^king HATE that theory with the passion of 1000 super suns. I am as lightskinned as lightskinned gets, im 75% white, and i can assure you i came out with hair the same damn texture of kunta Kente. I didnt come out with the gorgeous 2 or 3abc textured hair that many biracial women get, but of course, when i do hit WL, other people will think it was like that my whole life, not realizing it took YEARS of trial and error to get it right. Ugh. sorry... *simmers down* I know many of you ladies will have it worse with hateful people weave checkin, doubting, making rude and snide comments, trying to cut your hair, and as discussed in another thread, setting your hair on fire out of jealousy.

You don't think your kunta kente hair is gorgeous?

BlkMane

I have experienced mostly Dominican scissor-happy stylists because 98% of the time I go to Dominican shops. I don't think "scissor-happiness" is a trait of any certain ethnicity. Some stylists are, some aren't. I've had my hair cut by a few blk stylists in the past and they weren't out of control with the cutting. I have had long-term Dominican stylists who were NOT scissor-happy, as well.

Late last year, I had a good long-time friend of a friend cut my hair. She is a 'master stylist'. I just wanted her to shape up my shoulder-length bob. She went buck wild up in my hair and by the time she was done, I had a wedge in the back and the hair BARELY skimmed my nape. (Same cut my friend was rocking--she cuts her hair, too.)

It was a nice style, and looked really nice in the front and sides (not as short as back). I didn't realize how VERY short it was in the back until I left and tried to gather my hair into a ponytail. Couldn't do it. I was pissed since I had specifically told her I want to be able to gather hair in a pony and I needed it long enough to look good curly.

The first time I tried to wear my hair curly after that....please! My hair was SOOOOO short in the back, it was a hot mess.

I'm still growing the back out. Never again. I'm gonna watch anyone that even gets close to my hair with scissors like a hawk!!!!

SEMO

The biggest over "trims" I received were from a Great Clips and done by white stylists (4-6 inches taken off on 2 separate occasions). The best trim I ever got was by a black male stylist.

I think stylists, in general, like to cut hair (rather than just trim) b/c they like to go for the most dramatic change (even if it's not for the best). Reminds me of the white stylist from What Not To Wear who loved to chop everyone's hair off.

eta:
I trim my own hair now. :yep:

Last edited: