What's Missing From the Hair Care Market?

manter26

Is there anything- products or accessories that you feel are missing from the hair care market? What is it that companies can do better or different?

I accompanied my sister to a BSS and there was a whole aisle dedicated to products for 'naturals.' Most were from the big name black hair care companies and most products were the same crappy ingredients in a new package.

This question is for relaxed, natural, transitioning, etc...

To answer my own question-
*I want more pure butters. I know a few places where I can buy shea butter but I'm not a fan of it really and it's pricey. I want more options- avocado butter, mango butter, etc...

*I would love to see more black owned business online or brick and mortar.

SimplyLive

I accompanied my sister to a BSS and there was a whole aisle dedicated to products for 'naturals.' Most were from the big name black hair care companies and most products were the same crappy ingredients in a new package.

Which companies?

manter26

Which companies?

All of them. Dr. Miracles, Pink Lotion, ORS, Dark and Lovely, Soft and Lovely...IDK all of them! This was a random Asian BSS in a small college town and they had an entire aisle (left and right, top to bottom) of stuff marketed to natural hair. Most if it looked new, like developed in the past year or so.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
-more brick and mortar product lines. a lot of the products that have the best ingredients and whatnot are only accessible online.
-bigger selection/more variety for activator gels.
-larger sizes (and more affordable!) for the nicer products. I just can't rationalize spending $20+ for 8-12 oz of product.

EnExitStageLeft

A reasonably price med/hard silicone free protein reconstructor w/ quality ingredients :)lick:) and not those cheapy silicone-esque fillers and 1 measly protein :)nono:). *sigh* I really would love this, because curl junkie and spiral solutions are breaking me :(

miss stress

I'd like to see a more well rounded line that I can use exclusively. Like shampoo, dc, leave in, sealent all from the same line instead of having to mix it up to get what I want

MeowMix

I hear you on the butters. I'm just wondering what their shelf life is? IE, my avocado melts quickly. I'm thinking maybe that is why brick and mortars don't stock it.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
oh yeah, and I can't get with these product lines that you can only find in a BSS. I wish Walmart/Target carried Worlds of Curls b/c Sally Beauty Supply doesn't carry it, and that means I have to go all around the world and out of my way to purchase it. For this reason only, I rarely buy WoC. I would buy it regularly if it were more accessible, i.e., if I could pick up a jar while shopping for groceries. done and done.

Heck, it'd be great if I could pick up Eco styler at WallyWorld, as well. think of the possibilities!!! muahahahaaa

and this is really specific: I would love for Long Aid curl activator to either come unscented, or completely change the scent. I can't stand the smell of it, and it is SO FRIGGIN STRONG lol. It would be one thing if the smell dissipated after a few hours, but nooo, you can still smell it strongly by the end of the day. Imma need them to work on that for real lol.

manter26

I hear you on the butters. I'm just wondering what their shelf life is? IE, my avocado melts quickly. I'm thinking maybe that is why brick and mortars don't stock it.

I've researched some of them because I'm interested in buying in bulk and the wholesalers say shelf life is about 1 year, no refrigeration necessary.

Dilettante

Quality detanglers. There's Mane n Tail and...not much else. I want to see a company put money into a hardcore study to find the best way to deal with tangled natural hair.

Kurlee

curly styler that gives soft, touchable hair . The products I have experimented either leave my hair too crunchy but looking fabulous or very soft, but with not enough hold. Sigh . . . KCCC is the closest to perfection.

justNikki

oh yeah, and I can't get with these product lines that you can only find in a BSS. I wish Walmart/Target carried Worlds of Curls b/c Sally Beauty Supply doesn't carry it, and that means I have to go all around the world and out of my way to purchase it. For this reason only, I rarely buy WoC. I would buy it regularly if it were more accessible, i.e., if I could pick up a jar while shopping for groceries. done and done.

Heck, it'd be great if I could pick up Eco styler at WallyWorld, as well. think of the possibilities!!! muahahahaaa

and this is really specific: I would love for Long Aid curl activator to either come unscented, or completely change the scent. I can't stand the smell of it, and it is SO FRIGGIN STRONG lol. It would be one thing if the smell dissipated after a few hours, but nooo, you can still smell it strongly by the end of the day. Imma need them to work on that for real lol.

This is the only reason I refuse to use CAGs. I can't take the smell of them.

greenandchic

• Seamless combs that can be purchased on the ground.
  • Lighter hold gels - except for Kiss My Face and AO
  • I agree with pure butters (other than shea).
  • DC that doesn't have silicons.

BraunSugar

I wish there were more quality cleansers like soaps, muds, clays that aren't full of additives, artificial colors, etc. more abundantly on the ground.

Aireen

Drugstore products with quality ingredients higher on the list. Companies advertise their products to be strengthening and to stop breakage but the protein to do so is 2nd last on the list? Makes no sense.

SherylsTresses

Does your hair not agree with silcones? I avoid them mostly, except when straightening. I need the extra layer of protection to prevent heat damage...

Yes, it agrees with silicones when flat ironing. I just prefer to keep a silicone-free regimen.

ETA - Neighborhood stores that carry quality hair care products.

NaturalEnigma

I wish products could have more then one function. For example I have 3 products that I use as a leave in. 1 of them is used to moisturize my hair, the other gives my hair hold for when I do my twists and the third product gives my hair shine. I wish I could find a leave in that gives my hair shine, hold and moisturized hair. Its also hard to find a conditioner that moisturizes,detangles, and softens hair.

beebstt

Blow drier made specifically for naturals, with a nice Denman like attachment that won't kill your hair.

PJaye

1. Consistency. Stop discontinuing and changing the ingredients of highly favored products in order to deploy some new marketing strategy (I'm still not over losing the old version of Elasta QP’s shampoo).

2. Better scents. No one wants to dip into a product that smells like Paul Bunyan's homemade syrup (Oyin), old lady perfume (Silicon Mix) or an amalgamation of overpowering medicine-y herbs (AO White Camellia). Keep it light, fruity or floral, please.

Ogoma

Silicone/glycerin/protein-free drugstore leave-in conditioners and moisturizers. There are so few options in the local drugstore, natural & organic store, Target, Walmart, etc. and, in my experience, they all have at least one of these ingredients.

manter26

1. Consistency. Stop discontinuing and changing the ingredients of highly favored products in order to deploy some new marketing strategy (I'm still not over losing the old version of Elasta QP’s shampoo).

2. Better scents. No one wants to dip into a product that smells like Paul Bunyan's homemade syrup (Oyin), old lady perfume (Silicon Mix) or an amalgamation of overpowering medicine-y herbs (AO White Camellia). Keep it light, fruity or floral, please.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I'll throw something away if I don't like the scent, no matter how well it works.

I'm using SM Anti-Breakage Masque and it works great but it smells like old school Avon perfume. I think Imari was the name. It takes some getting used to.

Dposh167

A moisturizer. A simple freaking moisturizer with no crappy ingredients. I don't think that's too much to ask for

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I'd like Aubrey conditioners to come in larger sizes, and I wish I could get Oyin in a store.

Long Shots:

It would be cool to have an effective, all-natural heat protectant for sale.

Perhaps an all natural hair-color line?

MsLauren

I want a Natural Haircare BSS. And I wish they were just as popular as regular BSS so any city I go to I can find natural haircare products. And I also wouldn't have to order all my products online so much.

leiah

Huge quantities of conditioner for a decent price! Tresseme is the only one that does this

I always wonder why they bundle a shampoo and conditioner of the exact same size. They should research how people are really using them, make the shampoo about a third of the size and add a lot more conditioner.