When is you next DIRECT heat "treat"?

kmn1980

Emoticons don't affect me
When was the last time you used heat? September 2008

When will be the next time you heat, and how will you use it? At this rate sometime in 2020.

And if you don't use heat at all, why? (Styling purposes, the damage done by it, morals :lachen:, your hair hates it, etc) I usually only use heat when I have a real reason to. For example, Sept. 2008 I was in a wedding. So, unless another friend or relative gets married and I'm in the wedding....

EbonyCPrincess

I've used direct heat twice this year and I will be using it one more time for either Christmas or NYE. I am going to get my first Dominican Blow out at that time!!!!

Nelli04

The last time I used heat was July. I plan to straighten again on Thursday...
I seem to do better when my hair is straightened more often, so I plan to straighten every 2-3 months.

I typically wash and braid my hair (let it air dry). The next day I blow dry it and then use a flat iron. only one pass, two passes if necessary.

Last edited:

Legally Natural

Hey Ladies,
I know the holidays are coming up aka length checks and heat usage for some people. Since heat is usually avoided by most of us here, I'd like to know how long you usually go without DIRECT heat as I'm contemplating using it on New Years..

I have a few questions:
When was the last time you used heat?
When will be the next time you heat, and how will you use it?
And if you don't use heat at all, why? (Styling purposes, the damage done by it, morals :lachen:, your hair hates it, etc)

Sorry if this comes out crazy looking; it's my first time posting on my phone.

I normally straighten my hair once a year to do an accurate length check and to also give myself a good trim.

The last time I used heat was the end of December 2009. I will use heat again right before Christmas this year. It is time too because I definitely need to give myself a good trim. :perplexed

I straighten my hair by washing, giving myself a protein treatment and then a good deep conditioner. I let my hair dry in chunky twist until damp. Then I use my wet to dry straightener to flat iron my hair (of course using a heat protectant). Random thought: I think that one day I will make a video review about the wet-2-straight flat iron because I have never seen a review by a black person. A lot of people think it will damage their hair, but it works so well. I had full reversion the last time and no breakage. Moreover, my hair felt really soft and moisturized. :yep:

I don't usually use heat on my hair because I find that it is not necessary to wear my hair in protective styles. Also, I learned that straightening natural hair too much is the wrong way to go. :nono:

Last edited:

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Tomorrow!!!
My last direct heat usage was July 2010

Janet'

:hiya: My last direct heat usage was in October for a wedding (I was a bridesmaid). My next usage will be in December- the 31st to be exact...for a length check and I will be flatironing.

MyAngelEyez~C~U

When was the last time you used heat? June, 2010
When will be the next time you heat, and how will you use it? I don't plan to use heat until Fall, 2011, and I'll flat-iron my hair
And if you don't use heat at all, why? I want to retain length and learn my natural hair as is and so far I am enjoying the experience.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
When was the last time you used heat? About a year ago, I can't exactly remember when it was.

When will be the next time you heat, and how will you use it? Dunno, maybe 31 Dec for a length check. Flat iron most likely with my Chi.

And if you don't use heat at all, why? (Styling purposes, the damage done by it, morals , your hair hates it, etc). I prefer roller setting as I think direct heat is and/or can be damaging.

makeupgirl

A Couple weeks ago trying to flat iron my hair with failed success.

Before Christmas for length check via dominican blowout. I don't have the patience or time to deal with another failure of flat ironing my hair.

And if you don't use heat at all, why? (Styling purposes, the damage done by it, morals
, your hair hates it, etc)
my actually hates heat but going for so long without heat is actually good for my hair.

Ms Lala

I like the term heat treat too. I used heat a few days ago to "straighten" and trim my hair. It is more semi puffy straight. I have decided to get it straightened 4x a year for tirmming now that I"m at my goal length. I have had a few positive reviews about a stylist in my area and I'm going to give her a try because it is hard for me to blowdry my own hair now. I didn't realize it because I stopped used heat but my arms get so tired and I don't want to end up ripping through my hair.

bibirockz

OMG you guys are so hardcore! Especially those of you who go 6+ months at a time, that's awesome.
@KMN1980 until 2020? Wow *mouth drop* is all I can manage to do
@EbonyCPrincess ure working that EZ comb!
@Janet' I love ur new siggy the color of ur hair looks great!

I'd keep going on and on, but all ur hair &the way you style it is so beautiful, I'm glad to see that not one of u uses it on a weekly basis or even monthly basis!

BeautifulFlower

This weekend. I am going to a formal black tie ball so I am going to relax, blow dry, straighten, and curl. I am going to be doing alot to my hair but its ok because I never do this much to my hair. I am excited.

Aireen

I used to "treat" my hair every time I washed with a blow-dryer but now that I started air-drying, I don't plan to use heat for a LONG time. :look:

princessdi

Mine will be on Christmas. I haven't used heat since Christmas of last year and am excited to see my hair completely straight for a change. After this, I probably won't use heat again until next Christmas.

sunnieb

When was the last time you used heat? September 1, with my last relaxer touchup

When will be the next time you heat, and how will you use it? December 8, with my next relaxer.

And if you don't use heat at all, why? (Styling purposes, the damage done by it, morals , your hair hates it, etc) - I'm not really afraid of heat, I just can get by without it so I do. I don't even own a flat iron.

The fact that my hair is healthier because I'm on a low heat regimen is a bonus!

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
i think i will be flatironing for christmas or at least some time during christmas break. :yep:
"heat treat," that's cute. :D

Americka

I blow-dried, flat-ironed and pin-curled tonight. I hadn't used direct heat since Oct 29th. I won't use it again until December 17th for a wedding, if I attend it.

Evo-ny

Middle of September, relaxer/length check

December 17th for the APL check in and a Christmas dinner

I think I've finally gotten the hang of rollersetting, but I can never get the roots as flat as I'd like. Seems like I can only get a real length check after a good flatironing. I used to flat iron 4+ times a week and my hair always broke off at shoulder length. Cutting back drastically on the heat, averaging 5 times a year, has helped immensely!

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
who knows, with this weather. i keep saying i'm gonna straighten my hair when it gets cooler, but its still hot down here. smh. i'm not straightening so it can be sweated out. ♥

diadall

who knows, with this weather. i keep saying i'm gonna straighten my hair when it gets cooler, but its still hot down here. smh. i'm not straightening so it can be sweated out. ♥

I am in Tallahassee and I would normally think this would be great weather time hair but it was 79 when I left for Thanksgiving. I am in Chicago for the holiday now but I am in prairie cornrows.

bibirockz

I used to "treat" my hair every time I washed with a blow-dryer but now that I started air-drying, I don't plan to use heat for a LONG time. :look:

That was me too pre-lhcf if I wasn't in braids I usually washed once biweekly but I haven't had a heat treat since july or august :)

bibirockz

Mine will be on Christmas. I haven't used heat since Christmas of last year and am excited to see my hair completely straight for a change. After this, I probably won't use heat again until next Christmas.

Wow I can't imagine going 1year post heat maybe I'll try it for next year! HHG ur progress is deff loving the no/low heat

bibirockz

I am in Tallahassee and I would normally think this would be great weather time hair but it was 79 when I left for Thanksgiving. I am in Chicago for the holiday now but I am in prairie cornrows.

That's one of my problems too because in December it'll be summer time here, so I'm straightening for a length check and leaving it out for 2 days and back to braids/wigs lol.

bibirockz

That's one of my problems too because in December it'll be summer time here, so I'm straightening for a length check and leaving it out for 2 days and back to braids/wigs lol.
ot: HAPPY THANKSGIVING LADIES!

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
I have a few questions:
When was the last time you used heat?December 2009
When will be the next time you heat, and how will you use it?I was going to flat iron in December but I think I'll wait until Valentines Day.
And if you don't use heat at all, why? (Styling purposes, the damage done by it, morals , your hair hates it, etc) I'm not opposed to heat, but I have to confess that I am afraid to use it on my natural hair for the first time.

Vonnieluvs08

When was the last time you used heat? I used it beginning of October for a trim and length check

When will be the next time you heat, and how will you use it? After this straightening I'm not really thinking there will be a next time. I had some mild heat damage despite using 2 heat protectants, the comb chase method, only 2 passes with my new Sedu flat iron-1 at 260 and the second at 360 after rollersetting and airdrying. So I'm beginning to think my hair doesn't like/tolerate heat and I love my curls so I'm not trying to damage them any further. I have like 2-3inches to cut off in the front.

And if you don't use heat at all, why? (Styling purposes, the damage done by it, morals , your hair hates it, etc) This is about to be me. Plus I realized I don't like straight hair anymore. It was rather boring when I had it straight. So I don't feel like I'll be missing anything.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Ok so I lied - well changed my mind actually - earlier I posted that my next 'heat treat' would be at christmas...well no - it will be this weekend:):):)

Curlykale

When was the last time you used heat? July 2009
When will be the next time you heat, and how will you use it? Never. I may rollerset once a year when I'm waist length LOL
And if you don't use heat at all, why? My hair has thrived since I started to avoid 100% direct and indirect heat. My specific hair on my specific head improves significantly without heat. I'm also influenced by the fact that it is the first time I'm growing my natural hair. But when I "chopped" my relaxed part I had to eliminate 6 months of growth because of heat damage.

Last edited:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
june 2010

dec 15 2010...length check. already made my hair appointment!:grin:

And if you don't use heat at all, why? (Styling purposes, the damage done by it, morals :lachen:, your hair hates it, etc)

i dont use heat because i can't retain length and wear hot styles....so i quit heat. i love heat, but it don't love me!:nono:

answers in purple:yep: