White QVC hosts for Dooney & Bourke mock Black model's natural hair

naturalmanenyc

QVC Dooney & Bourke hosts mocked Black model's natural hair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb6ra5aCpQ4

The hosts claims that she did not know the camera was on the Black model and it appears the model believed them. However, the video on QVC was replaced with a video using the same model, but with straightened hair.

http://bougieblackgirl.com/two-white-qvc-hosts-mock-black-womans-natural-hair-humiliates-tv-video/

The QVC host Sandra Bennett responded. Please see the screen shots below.

This was from her Facebook page and was shown to me by a reader.

***One of our readers contacted us and apparently QVC took the original video down and replaced it with a new one using the same model. She appears at the 5:54 mark. Here is a screen shot.

Transcript

QVC Host: You might look back and think, why did I wear my hair like that? But you like your bag still.

QVC Host 2: That’s right.

Laughter

QVC Host 2: You won’t look at your hair in the picture. You’ll look at your handbag.

QVC Host: Exactly!

JudithO

I don't get the outrage...can someone break it down for me?

Basically, when she said "why would you wear your hair like that? You may not like your hair but you'd love your bag", they cut the camera to a black lady with kinky hair... She was pretty much saying you can look a hot mess but carry their bag and you'd be fly anyways... but the camera on the black lady when she said that made it seem like she was dissing the fro... Just bad timing...

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
I hate hate hate they came back and straightened her hair. That just lends more proof that she was talking about the model's hair.

...and that bag looks like cheap vinyl.

naturalmanenyc

I hate hate hate they came back and straightened her hair. That just lends more proof that she was talking about the model's hair.

...and that bag looks like cheap vinyl.

That was my thought as well. Even if they were not talking about her hair being a hot mess, it certainly seems that way even moreso after they straightened her hair.

The model has worked with them long enough to know their schtick so it's likely they make the same comments when it's a white model.

nlamr2013

I mean the model not tripping neither will I.
Does seem more like bad timing but I have to assume this model was the model they knew would be modeling the bag why not just say something vague?

SuchaLady

I'm an avid watcher of those QVC D&B specials. Do the hosts know where the cameras are? A lot of times they are showing the inside of the bag, the accessories, and the straps etc

Misseyl

Pleeeesssseeeee they were speaking of her hair. They knew that model was going to come out with the bag. Imagine, we have yt people discussing our hair full-time. Like I love to say, I'm black so what is my hair suppose to look like, straw? I'm done with what people think. The only regret here is that they replaced the model and because of that Dooney & Bourke has just lost another customer.

JaneBond007

SMH. I'm almost afraid to watch the video. I don't like the way she deflected the controversy. She did say she didn't make those kinds of connections but it seems as if she's concealing them anyway.

Edit:

Why did I watch this?! Yeah, they saw the monitors, I'm sure. They knew and snickered. The model hesitated a bit. Anybody see that?

Last edited:

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
Bad timing my :swearing: She was talkiing about the model. Why mention hair? What does hair have have to do with a handbag, why not mention slouchy clothes? I'm not giving her a pass:rolleyes:

Mortons

Bringing up hair didnt make sense. If you are talking about fashion, she should have said "even if you are wearing sweats" or something of that nature.

all_1_length

SMH. I'm almost afraid to watch the video. I don't like the way she deflected the controversy. She did say she didn't make those kinds of connections but it seems as if she's concealing them anyway.

Edit:

Why did I watch this?! Yeah, they saw the monitors, I'm sure. They knew and snickered. The model hesitated a bit. Anybody see that?
Yep I saw it and she kept on smiling too.:yep: If that's not being professional when people are being ***holes then I don't know what is.

Leesh

Bad timing....

I understood what she was getting at. Basically, youll be focused on the bag as opposed to other things in the picture. Jus so happened she said hair, and I can hear them still fumbling with the bag that she was not focused on the camera or where is was at.

MzRhonda

OMG that was so intentional.....her hair didn't even look like it was done natural or not....I have seen natural hair models on QVC and their hair is nice.

Why would she not be talking about this models hair along with the bag when the model was actually modeling the handbag. smh.

Nah apology NOT accepted.

mshoneyfly

I don't think it was intentional. You have to hear what the D&B rep said first. She said this is not a bag you will look at 10 years later and say "what was I thinking". She said something about it being a classic silhouette or design or something.

Then the QVC host said something about a bad hair day and just looking at the bag instead of; your hair on a bad hair day for example. I took it that she was saying, you might regret wearing a certain hairstyle but you wont regret this bag.

But the camera did cut to the model with the natural hair just as she said "why did I wear my hair like that".

I LOVE this HHJ!!

Jewell

...and that bag looks like cheap vinyl.[/QUOTE

Straightening her hair gave it all away as being purposeful. I stopped buying the newer DB bags because the price goes up and quality goes down. When i am apt to purchase, I buy the vintage ones or older tote styles made of canvas and leather. YTs are foreva talking about us, especially our hair and our bodies...it is so obvious they envy us. Thats how I can laugh at it, and k.i.m. :rolleyes: