Women are no longer wearing their hair long?

Do MOST women over the age of 30 wear their hair short

• Yes, I have noticed.

Votes: 107 59.4%
  • No, they rock their long hair at any age

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • I have not noticed

Votes: 41 22.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CurlyMoo

I've noticed that once YT women have kids they usually cut their hair to that "mom bob" because blow drying and flat ironing everyday is something they no longer have time for.

Looking around my very diverse office I notice that the Hispanic, Asian, and Indian women still all have long hair well past 30. Most of the short cuts are worn by 30+ white women and black women of all ages.

I agree with the bolded and I would also add that these women are more traditional when it comes to a desire to remain and look feminine, even in the workplace. Unless there is pressure to look more professional. So they are more likely to keep and seek long hair. When I see these women with long hair it's usually very long like lower back and beyond. There's a sense of pride. Black and White women tend to see themselves as liberated from their feminitity and seek a more professional thus masculine haircut.

It's a cultural difference. One sees long hair as an extention of femininity and or culture whereas the other see's short hair as more profssional and likely to help them in their careers. Also short or medium length hair is more socially excepted.

Last edited:

CurlyMoo

I've seen short and long in real life, media and advertisement.

Depends on the woman.

We have quite a few ladies here well over 40 and rocking long hair.

In my family I have both, short and long hair, natural, relax and other.

Have you noticed that the women of CNN have shoulder length or shorter hair while the women of Fox News has APL or longer. There was a woman with waist length hair and I was when did news anchors start having long hair. Could be that Fox News is a less professional network. CNN still takes itself serious although they're losing their credibility as a serious news network. But for ABC, NBC and CBS you will not see anything below shoulder at least I haven't. In fact way back when I was studying journalism they used to have contracts that added a hair clause. Anchors were not suppose to cut it or let it grow to a certain length. Not sure if they still have that but it appears they do.

CurlyMoo

ITA! Halle Berry is a great example to me of a woman that looks better with a short do. And that's not saying that she looked terrible with longer hair, she just looks younger and better now. :yep:

I think it has more to do with visual training and comparison. When we first saw Halle, she had that cut, as she got older and more popular she gave us variations of that cut and looked great. When she grew it long she looked like everyone nothing special. Hollywood is full of starlets with long or medium length hair. Whereas Halle's cut was a standout. But I agree she does look better with the short cut it enhances her features.

CurlyMoo

As a new mom I noticed that many of the women who also had kids around the same time as me cut their hair right after having the baby. Maybe it has to do with a woman's free time to spend on herself and younger people, without kids, tend to have more time in general.

I think it has more to do with the change that's going on with the woman mentally. She feels differently about herself. She's a mom now so it's time to get serious and be taken serious. When people make life changing decisions the hair is usually the first to go. :perplexed :yep:

ajacks

I definitely don't consider 30's as older women. I see a variety of styles for women in this age group, but once you get to the 40's and up I do tend to see more short hair styles especially amongst white and black women.

CurlyMoo

I was watching Neighbours the other day with SO and he was like "Why did Susan cut her hair, I liked her old look. Cant stand it like that":ohwell:

Susans old style:

Her new one:

I think she looks just as good with the long hair but the short is pretty sassy. I also know a lot of young guys who were attracted to her with the long hair too even though she was 50 ish lol. If people want to switch it up whatever but I feel short hair ages some people and long hair ages others..

I like the new look minus the hair. She could have lightened up her hair or put some layers in. She does look more confident but younger no. She looks hard like a frightened carrot!

Chromia

Have you noticed that the women of CNN have shoulder length or shorter hair while the women of Fox News has APL or longer. There was a woman with waist length hair and I was when did news anchors start having long hair. Could be that Fox News is a less professional network. CNN still takes itself serious although they're losing their credibility as a serious news network. But for ABC, NBC and CBS you will not see anything below shoulder at least I haven't. In fact way back when I was studying journalism they used to have contracts that added a hair clause. Anchors were not suppose to cut it or let it grow to a certain length. Not sure if they still have that but it appears they do.
Wow @ them having that clause in the contracts.

I've noticed that cable news anchors/reporters have longer hair than women on local or network news.

On CNN/Headline News Robin Meade, Betty Nguyen, and I think Richelle Carey have longer hair than most women on the news.

There's an old thread here about Allison Payne, an anchor in Chicago. I love her hair in this picture - one of the members here has this pic as her avatar. I've seen the news in different cities and I don't recall seeing any other local anchors with hair this length.

As far as the women on Fox News and Fox Business I have noticed that they wear very short skirts and more fitted clothing than the women on CNN (except for Robin Meade). You won't see anyone on CNN wearing something like this:

PaleoChick

I see that a lot too. As for me, I am 32 and quite frankly, I intend to grow it until it won't grow anymore. I can bun it up, twist it up, make it do something fierce. I am not just chopping it off at 35, 40, etc. If I invest the time to make it look good, it will look good...

jerseyjill

Hey girls! I addressed this in a thread a few years ago - wish I had the link.
I will give you the two reasons (one professional, one socially obtained) women of a "certain" age (over 40/50) end up cuttiing their hair.
As a personal image consultant I was trained to know about "lines" The long story short is as we age and gravity takes over our facial features begin to go from horizontal and upwards to vertical and downwards - in other words the face "drops". Long hair that frames the face emphasizes this. Shorter hair takes on a horizontal line and deemphasizes the vertical "drop" in the face. This is for our over 40 set.
My social finding - a lot of ladies I know over 50 are in menopause and they have hot flashes. They tell me they cut off their hair beacuse 1. It's hot and 2. Their hair thins so shorter hair lends to the allusiion of fuller hair.

I'm 38 and do not intend on cutting my hair over 40, maybe I will just pull it back from my face or wear ponytails and buns, but no cutting.
In 12 years when menopause hits me - maybe they will have a magic pill by then so I can avoid that all together! lol

longhairgoal

My great grandmother had waist-length, silver-gray hair when she was in her eighties. It was lovely. I plan to be the old lady with the lovely, long hair, God willing.

AimWard

I have been noticing something lately. I live in a predominantly white area and most of the women 30 years and older wear their hair SL or shorter. I have been looking around and the only ones that wear their hair past SL are the teenagers. In fact, I had some random woman ask me for hair advice at the store the other day because her daughter needed help with caring for her long hair and mom did not have a clue.

So my question is, have you noticed that fewer women 30 years or older (of any ethnicity/race) are wearing their hair longer than SL??

That's not to say that you are not wearing your hair long or want to wear your hair long, just the women you see on the street and even on TV.

If you have not noticed, take a look around today and report back here with your findings!

I have noticed this but it's more like late 30s+ seem to go shorter (at least in my neck of the woods).

I also noticed that with AA women, the ones with the longest hair (Mid back or longer) tend to be very young (13yrs or younger) or a little older (late twenties+). Don't see many AA teens or youngin' adults with mid back or longer.