Y'all would never guess what has CEASED MY SHEDDING!!!

Avin'sMom2010

I had been shedding ALOT for the past few months, there had been some talk on the boards about using GREASE and grease monkeys unite LOL...:) so I decided to grease my scalp and hair after shampooing and conditioning then 2 days later I shampooed/conditioned again my shedding was so MINIMAL I could not believe it I was so used to seeing atleast 20 strands or more coming out but now it's only like 5 and my hair feels soooo moisturized when I wash, MY SCALP and HAIR WILL BE GREASED FROM NOW ON!!! hmmmm I wonder if dry scalp makes the hair shed more??

Dannygirl

ya some people do it some people don't its all on what YOUR hair needs.. :)
glad you found somthing that works

Ebonygurl00

It seems like EVERYONE is in love with grease, now!! What kind of grease do you use, and is it really moisturizing?

goldensensation

I'm not in love with grease, but I am in love with a product containing petrolatum (Keracare jojoba oil moisturizer). My hair has NEVER felt so nice.

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
StephyPoo said:
I had been shedding ALOT for the past few months, there had been some talk on the boards about using GREASE and grease monkeys unite LOL...:)

Tell me about it!!! I've been getting an urge to go back to my old Royal Crown days!!!! :lol: :look: :lol:

I miss the smell of it RC, actually. It reminds me of evenings stitting at my mothers feet as she oiled my scalp and braided my hair as we talked or watched a movie. When I took over my own hair care, that's how I kept my hair mid-back to WL until I got crazy and started cutting, coloring, and relaxing it. :rolleyes: But, it always seemed to recover when I went back to the Royal Crown treatment.

Avin'sMom2010

Ebonygurl00 said:
It seems like EVERYONE is in love with grease, now!! What kind of grease do you use, and is it really moisturizing?

I use the Wonder Gro Max Lanolin & Beeswax Protein Complex Hairdress Conditioner (Extra Thick) it's orange in color I have been using this grease for a few years on my ends when doing with the baggie method, it has some pretty good ingredients too I'll come back and post them shortly.

Ebonygurl00

StephyPoo said:
I use the Wonder Gro Max Lanolin & Beeswax Protein Complex Hairdress Conditioner (Extra Thick) it's orange in color I have been using this grease for a few years on my ends when doing with the baggie method, it has some pretty good ingredients too I'll come back and post them shortly.

Thanks! I'll look for this on Saturday.

Avin'sMom2010

Ebonygurl00 said:

I use the Wonder Gro Max Lanolin & Beeswax Protein Complex Hairdress Conditioner (Extra Thick) it's orange in color I have been using this grease for a few years on my ends when doing with the baggie method, it has some pretty good ingredients too.

Ingredients: petrolatum, lanolin, beeswax, shea butter, microwax, lecithin, vitamin e, fragrance.

Oil Complex: Castor, macademia nut, pistachio, coconut, wheatgerm and palm.

Herbal Complex: Nettle, rosemary, ginseng, indian hemp, burdock, horsetail, coltsfoot, comfrey, rosehips and elderflower

Protein Complex: Brewer's Yeast, keratin protein.

Attachments

• grease.gif
    grease.gif
    18.7 KB · Views: 34

AtlantaJJ

I'm down with the scalp greasin. I guess my mother knew what she was doing!! I've been thinking about how she used to take care of my hair a lot since I joined this board. She passed away many years ago and all this talk about hair reminds me so much of her... I sniffed a jar of Sulfer 8 the other day and thought about her <snif>....

miracle

I've gone back to using grease as well and it has definitely decreased my shedding. I stopped using it because of reports that it clogs the hair follicules and such, but that doesn't hold true for me. My mother greased my scalp for years and my hair was waist length. I'm so glad that I decided to go against the grain and use my grease again.

I'm currently using Hollywood Beauty's Castor Oil or Africa's Best Kids Organics Gro Stong. Neither contains mineral oil or petroleum, but have the perfect grease consistency. :yep:

Avin'sMom2010

Legend said:
Tell me about it!!! I've been getting an urge to go back to my old Royal Crown days!!!! :lol: :look: :lol:

I miss the smell of it RC, actually. It reminds me of evenings stitting at my mothers feet as she oiled my scalp and braided my hair as we talked or watched a movie. When I took over my own hair care, that's how I kept my hair mid-back to WL until I got crazy and started cutting, coloring, and relaxing it. :rolleyes: But, it always seemed to recover when I went back to the Royal Crown treatment.

LEGEND, Girl what cha waiting on you besta get that Royal Crown, LOL...but for real though alot of people say that grease will clog your scalp and prevent growth but it didn't stop the growth when we were kids so why would it be any different today, IMO :)

Avin'sMom2010

AtlantaJJ said:
I'm down with the scalp greasin. I guess my mother knew what she was doing!! I've been thinking about how she used to take care of my hair a lot since I joined this board. She passed away many years ago and all this talk about hair reminds me so much of her... I sniffed a jar of Sulfer 8 the other day and thought about her <snif>....

Atlanta, sorry to hear about your mom, grease does bring back those childhood memories though, I remember every Saturday my aunt used to have the record player going or watching Soul Train and I would sit on the floor with the cup of water, grease and the brush and she would water wave my hair, LOL... good ole days :)

Last edited:

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
Humm...you may be on to something. Normally I dont oil my scalp. The last couple of weeks I have been using oil directly on my scalp and I havent noticed as much shedding. I've started using my giovanni direct again too tho, so it could be that as well.

PinkAngel

Interesting, I remember growing up & my mom oiling my scalp. I never remember shedding. Now I'm thinking maybe my hair sheds more when it's cooler out & my scalp is tight & dry.

Thanks for starting this thread. I'll be putting this theory to test soon.;)

mkstar826

supersonic
yep i recently jumped back on the grease wagon thanks to poohbear, lol. also because i was using the cetaphil moisturizer on my face and didn't realize petrolatum was the 4th ingredient until like 3 weeks later. my skin has been so moisturized and breakout free since i've been using it so i don't know if i buy the clogging pore thing anymore. and i got my hair greased all the time when i was younger and i had waist length natural hair.

I've been shedding so much, I think I'll try greasing my scalp too.
Hope it works for me.

I'm also transitioning, so that might be it as well.

Plenty

miracle said:
I've gone back to using grease as well and it has definitely decreased my shedding. I stopped using it because of reports that it clogs the hair follicules and such, but that doesn't hold true for me. My mother greased my scalp for years and my hair was waist length. I'm so glad that I decided to go against the grain and use my grease again.

I'm currently using Hollywood Beauty's Castor Oil or Africa's Best Kids Organics Gro Stong. Neither contains mineral oil or petroleum, but have the perfect grease consistency. :yep:

Look what I just found:
http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/article.asp?PAGETYPE=ART&REFER=SKIN&ID=47

The notion that mineral oil and petrolatum (Vaseline) are bad for skin has been around for some time, with Aveda being the most visible company to mount a crusade deriding these ingredients. According to many companies that produce "natural" cosmetics, mineral oil and petrolatum are terrible ingredients because they come from crude oil (petroleum) and are used in industry as metal-cutting fluid (among other uses) and, therefore, can harm the skin by forming an oil film and suffocating it.

This foolish, recurring misinformation about mineral oil and petrolatum is maddening. After all, crude oil is as natural as any other earth-derived substance. Moreover, lots of ingredients are derived from awful-sounding sources but are nevertheless benign and totally safe. Salt is a perfect example. Common table salt is sodium chloride, composed of sodium and chloride, but salt doesn't have the caustic properties of chloride (a form of chlorine) or the unstable explosiveness of sodium. In fact, it is a completely different compound with the harmful properties of neither of its components.

Cosmetics-grade mineral oil and petrolatum are considered the safest, most nonirritating moisturizing ingredients ever found (Sources: Cosmetics & Toiletries, January 2001, page 79; Cosmetic Dermatology, September 2000, pages 44–46). Yes, they can keep air off the skin to some extent, but that's what a good antioxidant is supposed to do; they don't suffocate skin! Moreover, petrolatum and mineral oil are known for being efficacious in wound healing, and are also considered to be among the most effective moisturizing ingredients available (Source: Cosmetics & Toiletries, February 1998, pages 33–40).

Paula Begoun

Ronda123

StephyPoo said:
I had been shedding ALOT for the past few months, there had been some talk on the boards about using GREASE and grease monkeys unite LOL...:) so I decided to grease my scalp and hair after shampooing and conditioning then 2 days later I shampooed/conditioned again my shedding was so MINIMAL I could not believe it I was so used to seeing atleast 20 strands or more coming out but now it's only like 5 and my hair feels soooo moisturized when I wash, MY SCALP and HAIR WILL BE GREASED FROM NOW ON!!! hmmmm I wonder if dry scalp makes the hair shed more??

Thanks for posting this thread...I will try this with WGO when I shampoo and condition.

Tee

goldensensation said:
I'm not in love with grease, but I am in love with a product containing petrolatum (Keracare jojoba oil moisturizer). My hair has NEVER felt so nice.

I dont love grease either. I oil my hair and find that helps the dry scalp.

zailless

Everytime I suffer some hair problem I go back to grease. for my scalp issues i am using my own castor oil mix. i think most of the oils that we use contain healing properties so it heals your shedding. i lost hair and was really in a bind to come up with something. i went back to my jamaican staple castor oil. i researched castor oil to find out why it was so good. its the only oil with rinoleic acid that heals many conditions. i think other oils like jojoba and olive oil have other healing properties which is why grease help even when it has petroleum in it. i wont give up grease again but its all about what works for you. my bald patch is growing in nicely. thanks to castor oil mixed with tea tree and lavender.

FAMUDva

Ebonygurl00 said:

Girl, I don't know if it's moisterizing or not, but I showl use Doo Gro (the purple one) on my head!:lol: I don't worry about greasy hair unless I'm wearing it down (not gonna happen from now til Christmas), so grease, MTG, Jojoba, and what ever else might help, I'm using. LOL!

MizaniMami

wadadligyal said:
Another grease monkey here. One time for Allways Castor oil!!!!!!:D

I LOVE that stuff. I use it for my ends and sealing in my leave-in.:notworthy That or Softee Indian Hemp.

miracle

Plenty said:
Look what I just found:

The notion that mineral oil and petrolatum (Vaseline) are bad for skin has been around for some time, with Aveda being the most visible company to mount a crusade deriding these ingredients. According to many companies that produce "natural" cosmetics, mineral oil and petrolatum are terrible ingredients because they come from crude oil (petroleum) and are used in industry as metal-cutting fluid (among other uses) and, therefore, can harm the skin by forming an oil film and suffocating it.

This foolish, recurring misinformation about mineral oil and petrolatum is maddening. After all, crude oil is as natural as any other earth-derived substance. Moreover, lots of ingredients are derived from awful-sounding sources but are nevertheless benign and totally safe. Salt is a perfect example. Common table salt is sodium chloride, composed of sodium and chloride, but salt doesn't have the caustic properties of chloride (a form of chlorine) or the unstable explosiveness of sodium. In fact, it is a completely different compound with the harmful properties of neither of its components.

Cosmetics-grade mineral oil and petrolatum are considered the safest, most nonirritating moisturizing ingredients ever found (Sources: Cosmetics & Toiletries, January 2001, page 79; Cosmetic Dermatology, September 2000, pages 44–46). Yes, they can keep air off the skin to some extent, but that's what a good antioxidant is supposed to do; they don't suffocate skin! Moreover, petrolatum and mineral oil are known for being efficacious in wound healing, and are also considered to be among the most effective moisturizing ingredients available (Source: Cosmetics & Toiletries, February 1998, pages 33–40).

Paula Begoun

Yes, I've seen this article quite a few times on this board. I've used several Dominican conditioners that contain petroleum & mineral oil and I love them, but it just so happens that the two greases that I :love: don't have either ingredient. I'm sure they do work wonderfully for some, though.

Avin'sMom2010

Thanks Plenty for posting that article :), folks got us thinking grease/petrolatum bad...we should have known it was a marketing ploy, LOL...

Last edited:

HoneyDew

I think SO many people on the board are against grease and the Hair books say grease is bad. I just continue to stick with what works for me even if it is against popular opinion. Grease will continue to be in my hair care rotation. But, I admit, not all the grease work well for me. Some are too thick and I apply too much. It has taken me a while to find a few that work well for me.

itismehmmkay

Plenty said:
Look what I just found:

Paula Begoun
Wow...Excellent post. It is so true!