Y'all would never guess what has CEASED MY SHEDDING!!!

asiaticlily

MizaniMami said:
I LOVE that stuff. I use it for my ends and sealing in my leave-in.:notworthy That or Softee Indian Hemp.

I'm a grease monkey too (mostly in the winter). I love this stuff!! ^^^ I also like Africa's Best Super Gro.

amwcah

rinygirl6 said:
I love sulfur8 because the smell reminds me of when my grandmother used to watch me and all my cousins after school when I was a kid. It seemed like she was always doing her hair when we came from school....so young and carefree. Anyway it's amazing how a smell can bring back such strong memories.

I was wondering why I loved how sulfur8 smelled so much, everyone else I know thinks it stinks!:lol:
I have the same memories of sulfur as well. It doesn't stink to me either.

Ms.Allyse

gLAD YOU FOUND SOMETHING THAT WORKS FOR YOU!! SINCE I'VE JUST STARTED TAKING CARE OF MY HAIR IT HASN'T BEEN SHEDDING AT ALL REALLY.

tsiporah

miracle said:
I've gone back to using grease as well and it has definitely decreased my shedding. I stopped using it because of reports that it clogs the hair follicules and such, but that doesn't hold true for me. My mother greased my scalp for years and my hair was waist length. I'm so glad that I decided to go against the grain and use my grease again.

I'm currently using Hollywood Beauty's Castor Oil or Africa's Best Kids Organics Gro Stong. Neither contains mineral oil or petroleum, but have the perfect grease consistency. :yep:

In the bold: This stuff is good. I was happy that it had neither petroleum or mineral oil. But I do add some extra pure castor oil to it and mix it around. I recently added a few drops of Rosemary to it. This brand is good for hair that has just been washed too.

Ntrlmystik

Re: hat has CEASED MY SHEDDING!!!

I have experienced good results w/ grease too. My hair has been shedding something terrible for the past few months. I thought back to my days as a child when my hair was always soft, long and healthy. The only product that I could associate w/ my hair at that time is that big glass bottle of DAX so that must have been what I used for the ten years of the healthiest hair I ever had! So I ran and bought a big plastic container and my ends are doing well now!

Junonia

I have a big problem with shedding and I have a dry scalp. I agree that using light grease helps reduce shedding in addition to your moisturizing regimen.

I was told if you shed more than 150 strands a day there's problem. Well, I used to shed that every time I combed my hair. I use Dudleys scalp treatment (which kinda smells) and Keracare grease for itchy scalps. It works and I am no longer afraid to comb my hair.

Cayenne0622

Priestess said:
^^^^Wow, I seem to remember that Macherieamour uses this. :scratchch The ingriedients look interesting and it's so cheap! :eek:

Hollywood Beauty Oil Complex , Castor Oil , Mink Oil , Sweet Almond Oil , Tocopheryl Acetate Vitamin E , Jojoba Oil , Paraffin Oil , Safflower Oil , Lanolin , Cocoa Butter , Propylparaben , Fragrance

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100235&navAction=jump&navCount=1&skuid=sku368108&id=prod368107

How do you guys know that petrolatum or mineral oil is not in this "secret" oil complex? And isn't Paraffin Oil another version of mineral oil? I don't anything is wrong with petro or mineral oil in moderation but I was just wondering...

LovelyLionessa

Cayenne0622 said:
How do you guys know that petrolatum or mineral oil is not in this "secret" oil complex? And isn't Paraffin Oil another version of mineral oil? I don't anything is wrong with petro or mineral oil in moderation but I was just wondering...

I bought a jar and I'm in love. :love: This stuff is great for sealing. The oils aren't a "secret," the Beauty oil complex refers to the oils in the product. The fact that the product contain paraffin oil is no biggie to me, as I use this product on my ends only. :cool:

bajanplums1

msshic said:
Interesting, I remember growing up & my mom oiling my scalp. I never remember shedding. Now I'm thinking maybe my hair sheds more when it's cooler out & my scalp is tight & dry.

Thanks for starting this thread. I'll be putting this theory to test soon.;)

You may be on to something. I get serious shedding every winter.

LadyJay114

lana said:
.. My other friend swears by this African Pride Herbal Grease, her hair is hanging down her back. I've just been using my coconut oil grease by Softee. Maybe it's time to switch up.

Lana

My hair grew with African Pride, but it cause massive flakes and dandruff in my hair.

SkinnyMocah

Priestess said:
^^^^Wow, I seem to remember that Macherieamour uses this. :scratchch The ingriedients look interesting and it's so cheap! :eek:

Hollywood Beauty Oil Complex , Castor Oil , Mink Oil , Sweet Almond Oil , Tocopheryl Acetate Vitamin E , Jojoba Oil , Paraffin Oil , Safflower Oil , Lanolin , Cocoa Butter , Propylparaben , Fragrance

http://www.walgreens.com/store/prod...jump&navCount=1&skuid=sku368108&id=prod368107

I'm sorry to bump such an old thread but I just picked up some of this at the BSS and I LURVE it! I just use a tiny bit after my moisturizer and my hair is ever so soft and my ends are so much better. I just keep running my hands over my hair because it feels great, and I have seen a severe reduction of shedding and breakage. I have ALWAYS had a lot of hair come out in the comb or even in my hands as I add product to it... its amazing I haven't gone bald by now... but my new regimen is doin' thangs!

I think I've found a great (affordable) combo for maintaining moisture and keeping my ends looking good. I use Profectiv healthy ends and break free and spread that around pretty liberally... then I add the Castor Oil goodness, and/or BT, wrap it up and sleep well. In the morning my hair is like SILK.

LOVE IT!

natieya

I have been trying to go without oiling my scalp and my scalp is hating it. :mad: I may have to try this. :)

Soliel185

mkstar826 said:
yep i recently jumped back on the grease wagon thanks to poohbear, lol. also because i was using the cetaphil moisturizer on my face and didn't realize petrolatum was the 4th ingredient until like 3 weeks later. my skin has been so moisturized and breakout free since i've been using it so i don't know if i buy the clogging pore thing anymore. and i got my hair greased all the time when i was younger and i had waist length natural hair.

I recently read about vaseline being a good facial moisturizer, and that it can prevent wrinkles so I started using it. Looking back my Mom used to put this on our faces all the time. I think that it seals moisture, and blocks outside dirt from getting to your face. Maybe the secret behind 'black don't crack' ?

cocoa32

mkstar826 said:
yep i recently jumped back on the grease wagon thanks to poohbear, lol. also because i was using the cetaphil moisturizer on my face and didn't realize petrolatum was the 4th ingredient until like 3 weeks later. my skin has been so moisturized and breakout free since i've been using it so i don't know if i buy the clogging pore thing anymore. and i got my hair greased all the time when i was younger and i had waist length natural hair.

Not to hi-jack but that Cetaphil moisturizer really helped my son's eczema! I didn't realize it had petrolatum until just recently also.

I'm going to try greasing my scalp and see if it helps with my shedding.

schipperchow1

I started using oils on my scalp for pre-poos last year & just started "greasing" my scalp about 3 weeks ago. I had an ezcema patch in the very back (Is that the kitchen?) & used my cortizone ointment on it that has petroleum. It cleared it right up. With that in mind, I knew I wanted something for my scalp during the summer, but didn't want oils running down my neck & face:ohwell: so I went to the BSS & bought Allways Natural Isogrow. It is very light & doesn't weigh my hair down. I actually think petroleum works better than cones on the hair...jmho.

StephyPoo said:
I had been shedding ALOT for the past few months, there had been some talk on the boards about using GREASE and grease monkeys unite LOL...:) so I decided to grease my scalp and hair after shampooing and conditioning then 2 days later I shampooed/conditioned again my shedding was so MINIMAL I could not believe it I was so used to seeing atleast 20 strands or more coming out but now it's only like 5 and my hair feels soooo moisturized when I wash, MY SCALP and HAIR WILL BE GREASED FROM NOW ON!!! hmmmm I wonder if dry scalp makes the hair shed more??

My hair has been shedding a lot lately as well. Last night before wrapping my hair, I lightly greased my scalp with TCB Naturals (it was the only thing my local grocery store carried). I took down my wrap this morning and ran my fingers though my hair and I was totally surprised......3 hairs came out! I am very pleased.

After last nights cornrow removal scare (lots of hair came out, but everything is ok) I'm glad that I found a remedy to my shedding. I'm so glad I read this thread as well. StephyPoo thanks for starting this thread!

ImFree27

when i was using the doo gro grease my hair grew a lot, but after going natural and all the bad reviews about grease, I stopped doing it, I think I may start using it again for at least a month and see what happens

redd

I remember when I use to use grease on my scalp my hair felt greasy, weighed down, and I had dandruff. I may have been using too much. Now that I have stopped using grease my dandruff has cleared nad my scalp doesnt feel dirty as quick. i guess this thread just proves that everyone has to do what works for their own hair.

Serenity K

I think I am going back to grease as well. I grew my hair to midback length effortlessly in highschool. And all I did was wash it once a week, put grease and water on it, and twist it, or put it in a ponytail. And it was a lot thicker then too.

Aggie

Look what I just found:
http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/article.asp?PAGETYPE=ART&REFER=SKIN&ID=47

The notion that mineral oil and petrolatum (Vaseline) are bad for skin has been around for some time, with Aveda being the most visible company to mount a crusade deriding these ingredients. According to many companies that produce "natural" cosmetics, mineral oil and petrolatum are terrible ingredients because they come from crude oil (petroleum) and are used in industry as metal-cutting fluid (among other uses) and, therefore, can harm the skin by forming an oil film and suffocating it.

This foolish, recurring misinformation about mineral oil and petrolatum is maddening. After all, crude oil is as natural as any other earth-derived substance. Moreover, lots of ingredients are derived from awful-sounding sources but are nevertheless benign and totally safe. Salt is a perfect example. Common table salt is sodium chloride, composed of sodium and chloride, but salt doesn't have the caustic properties of chloride (a form of chlorine) or the unstable explosiveness of sodium. In fact, it is a completely different compound with the harmful properties of neither of its components.

Cosmetics-grade mineral oil and petrolatum are considered the safest, most nonirritating moisturizing ingredients ever found (Sources: Cosmetics & Toiletries, January 2001, page 79; Cosmetic Dermatology, September 2000, pages 44–46). Yes, they can keep air off the skin to some extent, but that's what a good antioxidant is supposed to do; they don't suffocate skin! Moreover, petrolatum and mineral oil are known for being efficacious in wound healing, and are also considered to be among the most effective moisturizing ingredients available (Source: Cosmetics & Toiletries, February 1998, pages 33–40).

Paula Begoun

Subscribing...this is great info.

ctosha

I am a grease user and proud of it:grin:. I use natures blessing hair grease because it is light weight and has no petroleum in it. Its a keeper for me

Hairsofab

My hair looked the best and was super moisturized when I used Fantastix Hair Growth grease. It is the only kind of grease I use.

LongHairDreams

What Doo Gro is everyone referring to?

I stopped using grease a long time ago....before I found the boards. Now ya'll got me thinking. But now im wondering if my dandruff problem had to do with the grease. I don't have dandruff anymore.

Southern Belle

My girlfriend swears by Hairfood - the yellow one. She has bsl hair and she said she washes her hair and puts it on before she uses the blow dryer. I tried it for a while...

My other friend swears by this African Pride Herbal Grease, her hair is hanging down her back. I've just been using my coconut oil grease by Softee. Maybe it's time to switch up.

Lana

This grew my hair SOOOOOO fast a few years back (pre-LHCF), until I joined the board and learned grease was the debil. :rolleyes:

But I can definitely offer a testimony about African pride herbal grease..... :yep:

caramelma

:yep:Grease does stop shedding because my hair use to shed bad until i started greasing my scalp(only when needed) and it also help alot against humidity when you're streching your relaxer. My hair use to swell up after a humid day at work until i started using grease on my scalp and now i always use it after i flat iron my hair and it helps to keep my roots straight. this is my combo- Blue magic coconut oil hair grease, MTG, Castor oil. mix together until its thin and creamy.:yep:

angelbaby

This just goes to show that everyone's hair is different. When I stopped using grease my hair stopped shedding. I found that I was in this vicious cycle of removing moisture from my hair, then trying to replace it with coating condiditoners and grease. The grease was just masking the lack of moisture condition and making my hair worse. It was also keeping moisture from getting to my hair. When I stopped using the harsh shampoos I no longer needed the grease to mask the lack of moisture problem.