You can make anyone look good

dicapr

You can make anyone look Christian. I can take any man/woman and clean up their exterior and make them look acceptable. We tend to anticipate someones spirituality and their sincerity based upon how closely thier dress fits into our ideas of modesty.We bestow these right looking individuals charactersitcs they may not necessarily posess because they look the part. As chrisitians we should know to look deeper than the outside. However we are still look at the surface and ignoring individuals hearts and intentions based on whether she has on too much make-up or whether he looks clean cut or not. I have had to live in this sad state for so much of my life. I just can't look "right" as a Christian woman. I am a very curvy woman and naturally have a sexy look without even trying. And I have been made to feel bad because of it. As a teenager my mother was spokenn to about the way I looked when I came to church. Was it my fault that some were offended by a 15 year old willingly coming to church wearing the same clothing their kids were wearing but with more curves than their undeveloped children? The fact that I experimented with make-up even though our church preaches against it was another nail in my huzzy coffin. I listened to secular music and went to concerts thus proving that I was a less than respectable young woman. Yet the truth was my boyfriend's hand got moved everytime it landed in the wrong place. My sister in a similar situationn was rumored to have had several abortions because she was considered to not look Christian. However, we both have personal relationships with the Lord and had respect for ourselves and our bodies. We joked that we were nuns because the boys were getting just that-none. I see in these threads about Mary Mary and alot of the accusations swirling around them looking Christian. I have lived the life of not looking Christian enough and the judgement of your brothers and sisters can kill you spiritually. It is often based on ones own prejudice and own struggles. Christians don't look like anything other than someone whose love for God and their fellow man overshadows everything else in their lives. If this is not what people see when they look at you all the modest clothing, conservative dress, and church lady hats cannot cover up what is lacking. We need to focus more on what is radiating from the outside rather than what is put on the body.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

I just can't look "right" as a Christian woman. I am a very curvy woman and naturally have a sexy look without even trying. And I have been made to feel bad because of it. .....I have lived the life of not looking Christian enough and the judgement of your brothers and sisters can kill you spiritually. It is often based on ones own prejudice and own struggles. Christians don't look like anything other than someone whose love for God and their fellow man overshadows everything else in their lives...

I remember a guy from Ghana, Andy, who once told me in the library in front of other people that I didn't have the appearance of a christian. Uh, okay. And for whatever it was worth, I asked him if he expected me to "have strawberry blond hair while wearing a lace collar callico print prairie dress." The White girl behind us started cracking up and that's when I noticed her. I thought I was way on target as I obviously had a point others must have agreed with.

Fervently christian observant, moi? Nope...but I was attending various churches with friends. I was living right. Whether or not I was actually a christian is not the point. He was looking at my jeans and tee-shirt and assuming I wasn't a pious individual. Thing is, you can't go by clothing. And actually, I think he just wanted in my panties. We dated on an occasion when his brother was trying to hook me up with a nice christian guy. I fell asleep, snoring, on the date. :lachen:He was still angry and tried to retaliate. But he used the excuse of "you don't look like a religious woman to me," which is fine. Just by whose standards are you judging tho' ?

dicapr

Thats the thing. People are always talking about looking the part, however, Christ's ministry was about living the life. He didn't spend much time on talking about how loose or long ones robe should be or what type of sandles were acceptable.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Thats the thing. People are always talking about looking the part, however, Christ's ministry was about living the life. He didn't spend much time on talking about how loose or long ones robe should be or what type of sandles were acceptable.

Manolo Blahnik-ovitch's :lachen:

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Hi, dicapr,

This all reminds me of the "Does the clothes make the man, or does the man make the clothes?" argument... a vicious cycle of opinions.

I think I understand what the problem is concerning the Mary Mary threads: Some of us just can't separate a person's actions and/or sins from their Salvation.

There's no such thing as MORE SAVED or LESS SAVED.
That accusation, to me, is a crutch for people with their own perceptions of what a Christians truly is.
Everyone's growth in Christ is different, but we can't forget that when we get Saved our BODIES become Temples of the Holy Ghost. I believe that as we allow the Holy Spirit take control, what is on the outside sooner or later will reflect what is on the inside. :yep: Why would we NOT want to give God our best?

As for appearance... I believe a large part of how we react to what others say about us depends on how we feel about ourselves. Security is important, IMHO. I don't know Mary Mary personally, I simply go by what I SEE. They probably are secure in themselves as Believers to shirk off what people (including us in this forum) say. But the Word of God is the Word of God. I'm not quoting from the encyclopedia.

You can make anyone look Christian. I can take any man/woman and clean up their exterior and make them look acceptable. We tend to anticipate someones spirituality and their sincerity based upon how closely thier dress fits into our ideas of modesty.We bestow these right looking individuals charactersitcs they may not necessarily posess because they look the part. As chrisitians we should know to look deeper than the outside. However we are still look at the surface and ignoring individuals hearts and intentions based on whether she has on too much make-up or whether he looks clean cut or not. I have had to live in this sad state for so much of my life. I just can't look "right" as a Christian woman. I am a very curvy woman and naturally have a sexy look without even trying. And I have been made to feel bad because of it. As a teenager my mother was spokenn to about the way I looked when I came to church. Was it my fault that some were offended by a 15 year old willingly coming to church wearing the same clothing their kids were wearing but with more curves than their undeveloped children? The fact that I experimented with make-up even though our church preaches against it was another nail in my huzzy coffin. I listened to secular music and went to concerts thus proving that I was a less than respectable young woman. Yet the truth was my boyfriend's hand got moved everytime it landed in the wrong place. My sister in a similar situationn was rumored to have had several abortions because she was considered to not look Christian. However, we both have personal relationships with the Lord and had respect for ourselves and our bodies. We joked that we were nuns because the boys were getting just that-none. I see in these threads about Mary Mary and alot of the accusations swirling around them looking Christian. I have lived the life of not looking Christian enough and the judgement of your brothers and sisters can kill you spiritually. It is often based on ones own prejudice and own struggles. Christians don't look like anything other than someone whose love for God and their fellow man overshadows everything else in their lives. If this is not what people see when they look at you all the modest clothing, conservative dress, and church lady hats cannot cover up what is lacking. We need to focus more on what is radiating from the outside rather than what is put on the body.

dicapr

Hi, dicapr,

This all reminds me of the "Does the clothes make the man, or does the man make the clothes?" argument... a vicious cycle of opinions.

I think I understand what the problem is concerning the Mary Mary threads: Some of us just can't separate a person's actions and/or sins from their Salvation.

There's no such thing as MORE SAVED or LESS SAVED.
That accusation, to me, is a crutch for people with their own perceptions of what a Christians truly is.
Everyone's growth in Christ is different, but we can't forget that when we get Saved our BODIES become Temples of the Holy Ghost. I believe that as we allow the Holy Spirit take control, what is on the outside sooner or later will reflect what is on the inside. :yep: Why would we NOT want to give God our best?

As for appearance... I believe a large part of how we react to what others say about us depends on how we feel about ourselves. Security is important, IMHO. I don't know Mary Mary personally, I simply go by what I SEE. They probably are secure in themselves as Believers to shirk off what people (including us in this forum) say. But the Word of God is the Word of God. I'm not quoting from the encyclopedia.

I see what your saying but what is giving God our best? Who determines what is appropriate? To use something that is purely subjective and determine someone else does not meet your physical standards of appropriateness is dangerous, in my opinion. The bible is full of examples of individuals being used who did not look or act appropriate to those in the society of that time but their internal l spirituality surpassed those who were questioning their outward walk with God.

My cousin provided me with a prime example of letting what was on the inside overshadow the outside when I was growing up. She had Lupus, vitilago, and had lost her hair and wore wigs. Dispite the fact that she had huge white spots all over her body, that she had hair loss, walked with a limp and dressed strangely she was always surrounded by children. They were drawn to her. She also complained that those in her church often nominated her to go on retreates not giving it a second thought that she was ill because all they could see was the zelousness she had for spreading the word of God. Everyone who knew her personally tended to forget her physical limitations and only saw her heart and spirit.

I think Christians tend to overfocus on outwardly appearance because it is easier to control. To do the hard work and let the inside overshadow the outside is harder and takes longer. It is easy to come off looking right and hide our sins and shortcommings from the rest of the world and even ourselves.

Renovating

I could thank you a million times for this. You basically summed up everything I tried to articulate in the Judge Not... thread. I've never seen anyone get condemned into coming to Jesus Christ. Usually its when someone highlights their OWN faults and declares that God loves them IN SPITE OF THEMSELVES, that someone feels compelled to come to Jesus.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Dicapr, I read your post and read your post and read your post. Because yours stands out with much difference.

You were an innocent child who developed early and fuller than most girls your age. I developed early as well and I didn't understand the looks and the stares from others until I was older.

Although my breast size was a small A, it was stared upon, because I was only 10 years old and they were very obvious. I had curves as a young teen and it wasn't easy to deal with the comments and the stares and I too was a 'good girl'.

The difference is that as adults and those of us in the Word of God, know better. We know better or we are simply not heeding to what we know better to do. For whatever the reason, we choose what we wear and it's still by choice.

I fully understand and totally agree with you, that you can dress up a fish in the finest of fins and gills, but it will still smell like a fish if it's rotten and not clean from the heart.

I fully understand when there are those who have no choice and wear what they have until they are blessed and able to do and have better. We've all been in a place like that. I know that I have. That's just life for certain people.

You know what? I saw something on the news this morning, regarding female heros or icons so to speak. They mentioned that Nancy Drew was an icon for several famous women in our country's history.

Something was said that really struck me. And THIS was coming from the media. They said if only the girls of today had someone to look up to those like Nancy Drew instead of the 'sexual icons' like Brittany Spears, Paris Hilton, Miley Sirus, (sp?), and the like.

If only.... ? If only what?

Who are our girls dressing after? Who are their hero's? Their clothing, styling icons?

When I dress to Minister, I dress to do just that Minister. It's not about 'catching' the fish and then changing up on them. "Um, now that we 'got you', do this, do that."

No, it's come as you are yes, but this is how you dress.

You as a growing teen, had very little control over your body's development. You made the best of what you had.

I often look at Choirs and the ones who look more uniformed and properly attired are the ones who wear Choir Robes.

The ones who wear regular clothing have many body parts that should not be seen jumping around when the Choir gets happy.

When I speak of Mary, Mary, it's not in judgment, it's just a pure fact that they know better, but still choose to wear what they want to wear. If the annointing is truly upon a person to bring in souls, they will not need to compromise. Not at all.

Did it ever occur to anyone why the Church has such lax in the mix? Almost anything goes. It a spirit of 'so what', if folks wanna be gay, go astray, fornicaters on the choir; deacons on the ho' lay run.

A little leaven leavens the whole lump. How we preseent ourselves tells others, they can do the same. As leaders or those in the front, we set the example. It's just that simple.

Dicapr, as hard and as rigid that you 'see' me in these threads with controversial topics such as this one and others, I'm just as hard when I'm standing in prayer for you and others whom I pray for. I don't bend with distractions. I don't stop short of cast doubts or fears. I stay with it and I stay with the persons I'm committed to in prayer.

We're in a serious battle with our faith, and being 'nice' isn't going to get us through this. When God's word told us to 'Watch and Pray', He means it. Watch ! ! ! and Pray ! ! ! It means too not weaken in the knees and fall limp and make God's word of non effect.

The more we yield to compromise, the weaker our knees become and the less effective our prayers. Because we will not pray with the strength that it takes and that's needed to fight the enemy. Why? We've given our strength away. We backed down or we've become offended when we've been corrected of what we know is not right.

To 'those' who know better....

When it comes to how we dress, we all know better. Those of us who've been in Church long enough, we all know better. I'm curvy too and quite proud of it. My mother made a point of letting me know that I know better in what to wear and where I wear it. :yep: My mom don't play. :nono:

Blessings to you. Dicapr, I truly mean it, Blessed and Gifted One. And blessed and gifted you are. :kiss:

Nice & Wavy

Dicapr, I read your post and read your post and read your post. Because yours stands out with much difference.

You were an innocent child who developed early and fuller than most girls your age. I developed early as well and I didn't understand the looks and the stares from others until I was older.

Although my breast size was a small A, it was stared upon, because I was only 10 years old and they were very obvious. I had curves as a young teen and it wasn't easy to deal with the comments and the stares and I too was a 'good girl'.

The difference is that as adults and those of us in the Word of God, know better. We know better or we are simply not heeding to what we know better to do. For whatever the reason, we choose what we wear and it's still by choice.

I fully understand and totally agree with you, that you can dress up a fish in the finest of fins and gills, but it will still smell like a fish if it's rotten and not clean from the heart.

I fully understand when there are those who have no choice and wear what they have until they are blessed and able to do and have better. We've all been in a place like that. I know that I have. That's just life for certain people.

You know what? I saw something on the news this morning, regarding female heros or icons so to speak. They mentioned that Nancy Drew was an icon for several famous women in our country's history.

Something was said that really struck me. And THIS was coming from the media. They said if only the girls of today had someone to look up to those like Nancy Drew instead of the 'sexual icons' like Brittany Spears, Paris Hilton, Miley Sirus, (sp?), and the like.

Who are our girls dressing after? Who are their hero's? Their clothing, styling icons?

When I dress to Minister, I dress to do just that Minister. It's not about 'catching' the fish and then changing up on them. "Um, now that we 'got you', do this, do that."

You as a growing teen, had very little control over your body's development. You made the best of what you had.

I often look at Choirs and the ones who look more uniformed and properly attired are the ones who wear Choir Robes.

The ones who wear regular clothing have many body parts that should not be seen jumping around when the Choir gets happy.

When I speak of Mary, Mary, it's not in judgment, it's just a pure fact that they know better, but still choose to wear what they want to wear. If the annointing is truly upon a person to bring in souls, they will not need to compromise. Not at all.

Did it ever occur to anyone why the Church has such lax in the mix? Almost anything goes. It a spirit of 'so what', if folks wanna be gay, go astray, fornicaters on the choir; deacons on the ho' lay run.

A little leaven leavens the whole lump. How we preseent ourselves tells others, they can do the same. As leaders or those in the front, we set the example. It's just that simple.

Dicapr, as hard and as rigid that you 'see' me in these threads with controversial topics such as this one and others, I'm just as hard when I'm standing in prayer for you and others whom I pray for. I don't bend with distractions. I don't stop short of cast doubts or fears. I stay with it and I stay with the persons I'm committed to in prayer.

We're in a serious battle with our faith, and being 'nice' isn't going to get us through this. When God's word told us to 'Watch and Pray', He means it. Watch ! ! ! and Pray ! ! ! It means too not weaken in the knees and fall limp and make God's word of non effect.

The more we yield to compromise, the weaker our knees become and the less effective our prayers. Because we will not pray with the strength that it takes and that's needed to fight the enemy. Why? We've given our strength away. We backed down or we've become offended when we've been corrected of what we know is not right.

When it comes to how we dress, we all know better. Those of us who've been in Church long enough, we all know better. I'm curvy too and quite proud of it. My mother made a point of letting me know that I know better in what to wear and where I wear it. :yep: My mom don't play. :nono:

Blessings to you. Dicapr, I truly mean it, Blessed and Gifted One. And blessed and gifted you are. :kiss:
Beautifully said by a beautiful cutting-edge woman of God! :kiss:

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

hat is on the inside. :yep: Why would we NOT want to give God our best?

I've tried to comprehend this whole issue....maybe I'm not familiar enough with them. What exactly and specifically are they doing to raise an eyebrow? I don't know...

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
I've tried to comprehend this whole issue....maybe I'm not familiar enough with them. What exactly and specifically are they doing to raise an eyebrow? I don't know...
Actually there's nothing wrong with them. No one here dislikes them.

Here's a sypnosis:

Their dress code is well...... It's ummm,

wellllll,

Okay, it's like this...

I dunno' :nono:

dicapr

Thank you for trying to comprehend where I am coming from. Yes, as an adult, I know how to dress to avoid condemnation. But the I have not been convicted by the Holy Spirit that certain things are improper for me to wear. I have given in to peer pressure. Something about it feels as if I am living a lie. I am not dressing this way to honor my Father, but to keep the peace and not have to hear my name dragged through the mud by sister and brother fashion police. I try to convience myself that I am doing it so that I will not cause anyone to stumble but I know I am again lying to myself. I do not want to be pulled to the side ever again to be told that my skirt is too short or I am causing someone to lust because they see my knees or that my even my extra large top reveals too much of my curves. I am still that teenage girl in my heart. Worrying and covering up not for the honor and glory of our Father, but to avoid the stares and whispers of the congregation. I am simply dressing up playing a part. I believe those forced into dressing the part because of fear of condemnation are not bringing glory to God in their "modest" appearal. God wants it to come from your heart, it is only man who is more concerned about the outward appearance.

queenspence

I could not have said this any better :)
Blessings as you are led by the Spirit and careful of each word that you choose to reveal TRUTH!

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Actually there's nothing wrong with them. No one here dislikes them.

Here's a sypnosis:

Their dress code is well...... It's ummm,

wellllll,

Okay, it's like this...

I dunno' :nono:

I think the last vid I saw of them was in dresses at some awards show. Do they do cutouts and stuff like that? I know those girls are very blessed in the mammary department lolol!:lachen: Esp. the redhead.

Laela

Giving God our best is subjective, because our relationship with God is personal.
For example, I have $100 bill in my wallet and during service I prepare to put $2. The Holy Spirit tells me I should instead offer the $100, but I give $20 anyway, I'm not giving him my best. I believe it is the same with our bodies. Since our bodies are the Temples of the Holy Ghost, it is the Spirit of God that will lead us on how to adorn this Temple, through conviction.

We must look to God for approval, not Man, in everything that we do. But at the same time, God has outlined in his Word how we ought to live according to his Will. And get this, he won't force us to, because he has given us the power to choose, because he's a God of free will. God doesn't send people to hell, they choose to go.

[I'm not saying dressing a certain way will send a person to hell, I'm merely talking about the free will to reject God]

I see what your saying but what is giving God our best? Who determines what is appropriate?

dicapr

Giving God our best is subjective, because our relationship with God is personal.
For example, I have $100 bill in my wallet and during service I prepare to put $2. The Holy Spirit tells me I should instead offer the $100, but I give $20 anyway, I'm not giving him my best. I believe it is the same with our bodies. Since our bodies are the Temples of the Holy Ghost, it is the Spirit of God that will lead us on how to adorn this Temple, through conviction.

We must look to God for approval, not Man, in everything that we do. But at the same time, God has outlined in his Word how we ought to live according to his Will. And get this, he won't force us to, because he has given us the power to choose, because he's a God of free will. God doesn't send people to hell, they choose to go.

[I'm not saying dressing a certain way will send a person to hell, I'm merely talking about the free will to reject God]

Exactly-its between the individual and the Holy Spirit that is convicting them. However, sometimes it is peer pressure that bring about change rather than conviction. That is what I have issue with. If you change your style of dress to satisfy the "church" you have not been convicted. You have been choosen to cave to peer pressure. If the Holy Spirit tells you its time to remove an article of clothing from your closet, its time to give it up!

Laela

OK I think I get it. I had to read your post a few times, and I'm not sure what you're going through and how the people who approach you about your attire are doing it, but we can't live our lives trying to please people. This is a form of bondage and I sincerely hope and pray that you get released of. It's true other people can hinder our blessings -- but only if we allow them. People will always talk. But guess what? They don't have anything to do with our Salvation and our relationships with God.

You're avoiding "condemnation" from others by trying to dress a certain way? In actuality, the avoidance is an effort to please those same people..and not God. Please don't allow other people to interfere with your relationship with Christ this way.

In the same token usually when a Believer reaches out to another, whether it's to address their attire or something they did or said, that only means they want only the best for their Sister or Brother in Christ. It should be out of love. God tells us we ought to look out for one another -- not to blame or condemn but to show love. Anyone can tell someone what they're doing wrong but if they don't teach them or offer a solution, they're not reaching out in love, IMHO.

The Book of Titus touches on how older people should help teach the younger ones:

Titus 2:3
The aged women, likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not giving to much wine, teachers of good things.

Good things could include attire, conduct, anything that would uplift God and his Word. Those who know better not only do better, they TEACH.

And what is behavior that "becometh holiness"??

When God told Israel to be holy, he was telling them to be separate and distinct from other nations, giving them clear instructions in the book of Leviticus on how to live their lives. Titus also gives great instruction.

We all struggle with our flesh and the greatest battle we can fight is against ourselves, so you're not alone. As a rule of thumb, when I do/say something that convicts me I know it's unholy behavior, because the Holy Spirit is telling me it is. If you want to wear clothes that you don't feel convicted by the Holy Spirit about wearing, you ought to feel free.

I'll share with you this great Scripture I'll share concerning freedom from people bondage:

1 Corin 7:22-23
For he that is called in the Lord, being a servant, is the Lord's freeman: likewise also he that is called, being free, is Christ's servant. Ye are bought with a price; be not ye servants of men.

We all have our crosses to bear... You're not alone, and I pray that you will be free to be the real you: the beautiful young woman that God made you to be! :yep: Nothing less.

:bighug:

God bless.

Thank you for trying to comprehend where I am coming from. Yes, as an adult, I know how to dress to avoid condemnation. But the I have not been convicted by the Holy Spirit that certain things are improper for me to wear. I have given in to peer pressure. Something about it feels as if I am living a lie. I am not dressing this way to honor my Father, but to keep the peace and not have to hear my name dragged through the mud by sister and brother fashion police. I try to convience myself that I am doing it so that I will not cause anyone to stumble but I know I am again lying to myself. I do not want to be pulled to the side ever again to be told that my skirt is too short or I am causing someone to lust because they see my knees or that my even my extra large top reveals too much of my curves. I am still that teenage girl in my heart. Worrying and covering up not for the honor and glory of our Father, but to avoid the stares and whispers of the congregation. I am simply dressing up playing a part. I believe those forced into dressing the part because of fear of condemnation are not bringing glory to God in their "modest" appearal. God wants it to come from your heart, it is only man who is more concerned about the outward appearance.

Last edited: