4b girls...how often do you relax

Pumpkin

I asked this question awhile back but got very little responses. So I figured I would try again since there are so many new members.

How often do you 4b's relax. I was wondering because it seems like ladies who relax less frequently than every two months seem to have type 2 or 3 hair. My hair is tightly coiled, thick and coarse. I am now on week 8 and that is really pushing it. I usually wait 6 weeks but wanted to see how long I can handle it. Trust me, I have been experiencing much shedding and breakage because my roots are dramatically different from the rest of my hair.

Are there any 4b's that can wait a long time? And if so how do you maintain your hair and keep it from breaking?

pooh123

Hi Pumpkin,

I relax my hair every 8 weeks. I find that its not good for me to wait any longer than 8 weeks (9 weeks maximum). I don't know about other 4b's but my hair tends to get VERY tangled after 6 weeks so I try to be very careful when I detangle and overall handle my hair as less as possible. I also notice that my hair starts to shed a lot more and is just plain unmanageable if I push past 8 weeks. Plus, when I get my retouch when my stylist sections my tough,tightly packed newgrowth /images/graemlins/mad.gif to apply the relaxer its just plain uncomfortable! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I try to keep my hair very soft leading up to the relaxer by moisturizing it more often and applying oils to it. Also, I handle it as less as possible and wear it in a bun.

HTH!

G

Every 5 weeks; I have tried to go longer and my hair was literally a mess. My new growth is simply hard no matter what is done to it and the difference in textures is too much for my hair to take.

natalie

I relax every 7 weeks; My new growth is so out of control, that I think I might have try using some curl activator to help ease my pain.

moni

I went 9 weeks this last time. Which was one week longer than what I normally do. I was able to manage my hair better this time because I slowed down the washing to once a week. (That helped a lot) I also stumbled onto Profectiv Root Health while browsing in Sally's. I can't say enough about this product. It kept my roots very soft and moisturized. The only time I really combed my hair was right after deep conditioning. I just parted it in sections, combed it very gently, apply profectiv, and then pulled it back into a braid. I do notice that when I have a lot of newgrowth more hair sheds but since I only comb it once a week (and only then to prevent tangles) and the hair count was under a hundred (ridiculous to count I know /images/graemlins/smirk.gif) I figured I was ok. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
I'm not a 4b......I'm a very thick, tightly coiled 4a and I relax every 4 or 5 months if wearing it primarily curly. When I primarily wore it straight I relaxed every 12-16 weeks. The key for me was deep conditioning every time I washed and leaving the conditioner on longer. Also, sectioning the hair into thin sections when blow drying. Then, using a rubber brush to hold the hair ends tightly with one hand and holding the blow dryer in the other to get the entire length of the hair straight.

When I wear it straight now, I plait it and air dry. Then I use a curling iron to straighten and curl at the same time.

Being on the curly girl routine has helped too.

Dionne

Every 6 weeks for me. I am going to try 8 weeks this time because I have less underprocessed hair but one thing that helps with the shedding is Aubreys GPB conditioner. That can really make a difference. My newgrowth is just so tightly curled and compact that going any longer is almost impossible. I do use heavy duty protein conditioners more though to help keep my hair strong. I have actually lost more inches of hair by waiting so long. Me and my sister Sabrina have almost identical textured hair. She relaxes when she needs it without counting weeks and I mark it on a calender. Now her hair is soo much longer than mine even after she cut hers three inches shorter than mine. Beana posted a list of "musts" for relaxed hair many many moons ago on longhairlovers and one thing she said was to relax when you need too. She was right. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I went 16 weeks this last time and I WILL NOT ever do that again! I'm going for 9-12 weeks from now on. I used to wait 12 back in the day when I used to blow dry, but now I'm going to see if I can do it without the blow dryer.

G

Beana posted a list of "musts" for relaxed hair many many moons ago on longhairlovers and one thing she said was to relax when you need too. She was right
__
Several beauticians informed me to relax when it needed it. Instead, I tried to go as long as possible. My hair was a mess back then. My hair is the longest it has ever been in my life.

G

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
natalie said:
I relax every 7 weeks; My new growth is so out of control, that I think I might have try using some curl activator to help ease my pain.

[/ QUOTE ]
__
I used that and my hair was so nappy the moisture just sat on the new growth and make my hair itch uncontrollably.

ms_kenesha

I get a touch-up every 6-8 wks. unless I want all my hair to break off!!! The longetst I've ever gone was 12 weeks, after the 6th week I got microbraids and kept them in for 6 wks....trouble, Trouble, TROUBLE!!! This is what led me to cut my hair like in my picturetrail album for the summer. I had major breakage which thinned out my hair so bad!! /images/graemlins/mad.gif When I put my hair in a ponytail it looked so pitiful and I'm never afraid to cut my hair for health so snip, snip, and now I'm on my road to recovery and doing mighty fine if I do say so myself!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Integrity

i am at 8 weeks too and i was trying to make it to 12 bt i dont think i can make it! i have a lot of new growth andf though it is soft (thanks to MSM and EPO) it is still quite tangles and i have discovered a few spots where it has broken between the points /images/graemlins/shocked.gif. now its just a matter of taking a deep breath and relaxing myself for the first time this weekend! /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

my new growth is way way thicker than the relaxed hair that the contrast looks ridiculous. /images/graemlins/look.gif

pebbles

Hi Pumpkin,

I relax my hair every 8-10 weeks. I've tried going longer, but I get a lot of breakage. /images/graemlins/look.gif

JenJen2721

I have to relax every 6-8 weeks. I've been taking EFA's and MSM and this has made my new growth a lot softer and more manageable. It feels like my new growth and relaxed hair are finally "getting along" somewhat w/this combo. I will monitor my hair more closely to see if I can make it anywhere past 7 or 8 weeks.
HTH,
Jen

LondonDiva

I relax mine every 6-8 weeks. I think loads of moisture is the key for me. I CANNOT go any longer than that. I have tried but I've never gone past 8 weeks.

beana3

Dionne said:
Beana posted a list of "musts" for relaxed hair many many moons ago on longhairlovers and one thing she said was to relax when you need too. She was right. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

... OH If I only would've listened to my own advice /images/graemlins/grin.gif I guess I considered transitioning too many times /images/graemlins/frown.gif for my own good. I'm mostly 4a with some 4b and patches of 3c in the back and sides....
After trying to wait it out toomany times i think i did more harm than good.. My usual tolerance is 8-10 weeks. I can go 12 weeks if i wear my ahir in cornrows and dont touch it.

BTW what strength of relaxer is everyone using.. and brand recs??

Kitkat

I relax every 6 to 8 weeks. I can't manage my hair if I tried to hold out longer than that. Beana, I use Affirm regular strength.

CurlyCrly

beana3 said:
Dionne said:

BTW what strength of relaxer is everyone using.. and brand recs??

[/ QUOTE ]

Revlon Realistic (Lye) Regular Strength

lala

I usually relax when I can, NOT when I need to. My scalp is soOOO sensitive /images/graemlins/frown.gif, that I'm usually having a problem every 2 or 3 mos. or so. It's been 5 wks. since my last relaxer. Before that it had been 3 mos. I use Affirm mild, but only b/c my scalp is too sensitive for the regular strength. I think I could go longer if I could use the regular. When I used to relax 2-3 times a year, I didn't experience any breakage, but my thick hair was harder to manage. My hair grows faster if I wait though, even with all the scalp problems. It grows even faster when it’s natural, but it’s hard to transition from relaxed hair to natural hair. If I had to do it all over again, I would never have relaxed my hair in the 1st place.

Honey01

Hi Pumpkin,
I relax every 6 to eight weeks also. My hair is very prone to tangles. I've incorporated all the wonderful tips (hot oil treatments, Creme of Nature, etc.)in my regimen from the board which helps during the last couple of weeks. But I defintely cannot go longer than 8 weeks between touch-ups.

G

i relax usually every 3 - 3 and a half months. the key for me is moisture and oiling. the longest ive every gone without relaxing was 5 months and i loved it because you get the illusion of so much growth. id love to try that again sometime but im so used to relaxing every three months that thats what i do now.

:i have 4a with a lil of what i think is 4b in the middle and 3c on the sides/back

CurlyCrly

emmy said:
i relax usually every 3 - 3 and a half months. the key for me is moisture and oiling. the longest ive every gone without relaxing was 5 months and i loved it because you get the illusion of so much growth. id love to try that again sometime but im so used to relaxing every three months that thats what i do now.

:i have 4a with a lil of what i think is 4b in the middle and 3c on the sides/back

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, that's the truth! One time I relaxed my hair over the weekend a few years back and a Caucasian co-worker, who sat behind me, said, "Your hair is much longer than it was on Friday! What did you do, pull it out of your scalp?" I just laughed.

lshevonne

I'm an every 8 weeks girl. I did go as long as 10 wks. When I do my touch up this time it will be 9 1/2 wks. I must say that I am shedding quite a bit. I been using the Motions Oil Mild since Nov. 2002 but was thinking of trying the Revlon. When you ladies say something is good or bad I just start changing my mind about what I have. If I had the $$ I'd be a true PJ. LOL

beana3

emmy said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we have the same hair textures!! now tell me, a\do you have fine hair or med/coarse????

Honi

There is no board.
My last touchup with at 12 weeks. This time I will try to go to 16 weeks. I just started using unrefined coconut oil which has made such a big difference. The new growth seemed to relax a little. I also do a strong protein treatment around week 12 to give it strength. So far no shedding but I will cross my fingers and toes.

JenJen2721

Honi said:
My last touchup with at 12 weeks. This time I will try to go to 16 weeks. I just started using unrefined coconut oil which has made such a big difference. The new growth seemed to relax a little. I also do a strong protein treatment around week 12 to give it strength. So far no shedding but I will cross my fingers and toes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honi, which protein treatment do you use?

Thx!
Jen

SweetNic_JA

since I found out about LHCF and the relaxed hair care forum on ezboard I've been doing my touchups every 8 weeks. After that I waited 3 months (with the help of braids). Now I am waiting 4 months (also with the help of braids). I wear my hair out for at least 2 weeks to 1 month and I do the twist out method to get me by. I try to space my relaxers out long because I've been growing out a short cut and I think it's easier to over process short hair than any other length.

To prevent breakage before a touchup I use either Nexxus Emergencee (fav) or Aphogee Treatment for damaged hair. I used to use Motions CPR but I ran out and i never made it back to the BSS to replenish my supply. I also use curl activator moisturize, infusium-23 leave-in, and castor oil. Lately I've been finding that the curl activator gives me a TERRRIBLE itch (I used with my braids too). I don't know the cause of the reaction b/c I never had that problem b4

G

That's a good idea. I try not to fuddle around with my hair too much about a week before relaxing.

I have been getting my hair relaxed every 6 weeks, but even that is too long for me now to wait. When I get to 5 weeks, I'm still "okay", but between week 5 and week 6, it gets ugly in my house. I'm going to try every 5 weeks.

I don't like my hair to get unmanageable and the shedding is the pits. It's not bad, but I don't like losing unnecessary hairs beca /images/graemlins/look.gifuse I need a touch up.