4b girls...how often do you relax

Pumpkin

Re: Updates?

Why are you being forced to stretch your relaxers? Also, are you experiencing and excessive breaking and/or shedding because of this?

Just curious.

karezone

I usually touch up every 9-12 weeks. But if I have a large amount of new growth I will relax at 8 or 6 weeks. The only problem I have with waiting a long time to relax is that my roots are constantly dry. I usually have to apply coconut oil to them on a nightly basis.

JenJen2721

The last time I got my hair relaxed at 6 1/2 week, my hairdresser told me I could probably get away with stretching it to 8 weeks. I felt she was probably right, so I just called to schedule my 8 weeks appt. Well, the shop is remodeling that week. She is booked the week before and couldn't get me in until the 9th week.

I'm currently at week 4, but don't want to relax as early as week 6. Ok, this has my head spinning.

I just ordered some virgin coconut oil to see if that will help.

Britt

I relax my hair every 16 weeks. I do not oil my new growth b/c it gets toooo icky for me. The only part of my hair that gives me a problem is the back (kitchen) so I spray water or a leave in and use shinig gel (Jam, Pink Oil whatever u please) and pull it back in a ponytail. I am on week 12 and I have had my hair in a friggin ponytail since week 7. My hair combs with ease but is PUFFY as HELL
at the roots. I MUST pull it back to camoflauge the new growth.

SweetNic_JA

cool...I can't believe it's been a whole year since I posted a response to this thread.

Anywho, I just recently went my longest period (and still waiting). It's been 5 months with the help of braids. Also, I've relaxed 4 times since August of 2002.

My braids are now out and I've found the GREATEST low maintenance style. At night I moisten my hair, do Chiney bumps and, in the morning I remove them to find the coolest curls ever (will take pics). I haven't experienced any breakage even with these two distinct textures sitting atop my head.

katie

I go every 2 months.As my hair gets longer I will try to stretch it for longer

HairFanatic01

Well I relax every 3 months with the help of cornrows every 4-5 weeks. I wear the braids for a little over 2 months at a time then I take them out and get a relaxer. After I get the relaxer I let my hair rest for about a month and then I put my cornrows back in.

SweetNic_JA

[ QUOTE ]
HairFanatic01 said:
Well I relax every 3 months with the help of cornrows every 4-5 weeks. I wear the braids for a little over 2 months at a time then I take them out and get a relaxer. After I get the relaxer I let my hair rest for about a month and then I put my cornrows back in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you're also doing a modified "Crown and Glory Technique". How long have u had this regime?

HairFanatic01

You're exactly right!! I read the sight about 8 months ago and I have been trying to zero in on the method every since. In the beginning I kept my braids in for 6 months which is totally tooooooo long!! My hair had grown like 4 inches, but my hair had started to break because she had to perm all of that new growth and all it was doing was breaking down my hair shaft. So just recently I started wearing the cornrows 4-5 weeks at a time twice (a little over 2 months). The only difference between the crown & glory technique and mine is that I don't wait before I get my perm b/c I just take out my braids and then apply the relaxer. During the whole two months I am using many protein treatments such as aphogee, infusium 23, carrot oil and a. organics gpb to rebuild and strengthen my hair. So when I take my braids (cornrows) out I have no breakage and my Jamaican hair-stylist applies the relaxer TO MY ENDS ONLY!! The last two months with the braids I gained about 3 inches.

SweetNic_JA

Sounds like your have a tight regime. I stumbled across Robin's site about a year and a half ago. I've been crown and glorying ever since. In the past I used braids to grow out my hair but I never got these type of results. My relaxed ends used to just break off and I thought it was a normal think...Now-a-days my relaxed hair stays in tact while my new hair grows in. I couldn't have on the C&G technique if I tried to. It works!

phynestone

I just relaxed my hair about 2 weeks ago after 20 weeks. Although I had a lot of new growth, I don't think I will wait that long again due to my stylist having a little difficulty detangling my hair from the braids I had taken out.

chicamorena

I don't know if this will help anybody but I am mostly 4b with a little 4 and I stretch my relaxers out to every 12 weeks. I'll start wearing buns everyday around week 7 or 8 and wet my hair daily. Then on the last wash before I get my relaxer, I blowdry my hair. This allows me to comb through my roots easily when I get my relaxer. At the same time I still am able to see my new growth. I also wash my hair in 4 sections and only comb it when it's wet.

Babygurl

Im a 4a/b and I use to relax every 6 weeks but lately I have been stretching to 12-14 weeks.

TBird

Pumpkin I'm a 4b and I'm only into about 8th or 9th week. I wanted to hold out for 13 weeks. But I am Naaaapppyyyy!!!!I must admit that I am struggling. But I hope it will be worth it. I'm going to try a halo around my edges and nape only to help carry me through. But I've just started my challenge and really wanted to strengthen my hair before relaxing. I hope this helps. Maybe you can answer something for me. What is the carrot juice challenge. Anybody??

mystiquesista

I relax every 4-5 wks. I try to follow eveyones advice (poo in shower,co wash every 2 or 3 days, deep condition, coconut/lime mixture, msm(just added)),but I can't seem to stretch out my relxer any longer due to breakage and hard to comb roots. I'm on my 4 week now and pray that I don't have to ge a relaxer.

I've been readinv a great deal of discussion about "stretching" touch-ups beyond 8 weeks. Since the touch-up is to be applied only to the new growth, and not overlapped onto the hair that is already relaxed, I was wondering about the benefits of risking shedding and breakage at the demarcation line. Is this just to prove some point, or what? Please enlighten me. I asked this question elsewhere, but got no response yet (which I found incredible given the amount of time and attention spent responding to the "political" question of good hair yesterday).

Aisha

I can go about 12-14 weeks..the key for me is to rollerset and no more combing..I may detangle gently, but that is about it. I also will wash, deep condition and put my hair in a bun for about two weeks prior to the relaxer...it is hard because you can't get that "fresh" look once you are about 3 months out so a flat iron is must for me to stretch my relaxers...4a/4b hair is real fragile as the new grow gets thick so you have to be real careful..using Surge has def. help to strengthen my hair so it doesn't break as easily..

lovechic

<font color="green"> </font> I TOUCH UP MY HAIR EVERY 12 WEEKS!!! THE KEY IS MAKING SURE I KEEP MY HAIR MOISTURIZED IN BETWEEN RELAXERS! AND HANDLE IT GENTLY! MY HAIR TYPE ACCORDING TO ANDRE'S CHART IS 4a AT THE CROWN AND ON THE SIDES AND 4b IN THE NAPE AND KITCHEN AREA!

foxybronx

I relax every 12 weeks. Usually after 10 weeks its a thick tangled forest but when i wash and deep condition every 3 days i can make it to 12 weeks.

I do have to flatiron my new growth before i get a perm or they can't even part my hair to apply to comb without breakage.

I am at 12 weeks now and it is still manageable. Either i learned something new or my hair is growing SLOWLY!

northernbelle

[ QUOTE ]
I asked this question awhile back but got very little responses. So I figured I would try again since there are so many new members.

How often do you 4b's relax. I was wondering because it seems like ladies who relax less frequently than every two months seem to have type 2 or 3 hair. My hair is tightly coiled, thick and coarse. I am now on week 8 and that is really pushing it. I usually wait 6 weeks but wanted to see how long I can handle it. Trust me, I have been experiencing much shedding and breakage because my roots are dramatically different from the rest of my hair.

Are there any 4b's that can wait a long time? And if so how do you maintain your hair and keep it from breaking?

[/ QUOTE ]

As a kindred spirit 4b, I relax faithfully, on schedule, every eight weeks, to the day. /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I just cannot engage in the extend a relaxer routine. It is detrimental to my hair. Although my hair is fine, there is a lot of it. Additionally, the new growth comes in thick and tight. Perhaps a good thing in the larger scheme, but detrimental with respect to going past the eight week mark.

northernbelle