4B'S - Please vote. Which relaxer is the best for your hair?

Majority 4b's - What relaxer do you use?

• Mizani

Votes: 96 18.5%
  • Phyto

Votes: 48 9.2%
  • Affirm Fiberguard

Votes: 80 15.4%
  • Silk Elements

Votes: 33 6.3%
  • Elasta QP

Votes: 13 2.5%
  • Dark and Lovely

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • ORS

Votes: 106 20.4%
  • Optimum

Votes: 20 3.8%
  • Vitale

Votes: 16 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 101 19.4%

• Total voters

jade998

Hi Ladies,

SOOOOOOO Sorry for the 100 billionth post on relaxer, but I am so clueless.

I really need your help.:violin:

You don't have to post, but if you can vote it would be greatly appreciated. I want to texlax my hair to about 85% straight, and then be able to rollerset my hair straight or have the option of a braid out.

I am wondering what all the 4b ladies that relax use. I did a search and wasn't able to find something that can help.

Thanks for you help.

If you could post whether you use Lye or Non Lye that would great

P.S I will keep on bumping untill there is a clear majority - you have been warned :grin:

Last edited:

pmichael52172

I use lye. Design Essentials. After talking with my stylist, I discovered she switched up on me and instead of the
lo-lye with shea butter which is GREAT! She used the Time Release which is still GREAT! I say Design Essentials all the way.

Just a warning to you, I don't think there will be a clear majority on 4b's and relaxers. I did a few searches in past times and became even more confused. I'll keep peeking in this thread to see results though.

sowhut

I LOOOOOVVVEEEE Phyto. Mainly because i have thick hair and it allows me to retain most of my thickness. I have tried affirm lye and no lye, bantu, mizani (which is also pretty good), Dudley Mild (pretty good also), Proclaim. Usually my hair came out decent i guess but it seemed to have lost its volume and made my hair appear a lot thinner and flatter.

csmoot

Affirm Fibergaurd- I am bone straight except at my nape bc I am trying to get it to grow and so I am now relaxing that part of my hair last and basically washing it out almost as soon as it is applied.

HoneyDew

I am texlaxed bigtime and I use and LOVE Profectiv. I use regular and super. Regular gives me more time. With the super I need to be on it and apply ti faster. Both are wonderful. The relaxer cream has protein and humectants and my hair never feels limp or flat.

Edited to add: This is a NO-Lye

LocksOfLuV

nicki6 said:
I use ORS Olive Oil no lye and its FABO!! I get my hair straight with little or no burning!:up:

Ditto! And with that being said, no relaxer smell and most importantly it is so gently on the scalp.

I didn't vote, because I am trying profectiv next weekend, so I wanted to wait but it's def. ORS so far.

I voted for Mizani. I've also had good results with Affirm. I think I did OK with Motions once upon a time. Until I joined this board, I assumed my relaxer was no-lye, but now I'm thinking otherwise. I'm going to get my hair done today, so I'll ask.

If I remember correctly, back in the day my hair absolutely hated Optimum, Revlon, and Dudleys. I think I didn't do well w/ Dark and Lovely either, but I don't remember for sure, if so it was when I was very young. My hair is very soft and fine, so thicker hair may hot have a problem with these. I found them too harsh.

ETA: My Mizani relaxer is a lye relaxer, and so was affirm. My hair did horribly with no-lye relaxers.

Last edited:

lucy

InsatiableMe said:
I voted for Mizani. I've also had good results with Affirm. I think I did OK with Motions once upon a time. Until I joined this board, I assumed my relaxer was no-lye, but now I'm thinking otherwise. I'm going to get my hair done today, so I'll ask.

If I remember correctly, back in the day my hair absolutely hated Optimum, Revlon, and Dudleys. I think I didn't do well w/ Dark and Lovely either, but I don't remember for sure, if so it was when I was very young. My hair is very soft and fine, so thicker hair may hot have a problem with these. I found them too harsh.

is your mizani in a small jar (one application), or large tub?

mommatide

I VOTED PHYTO....AFTER USING MIZANI FOR OVER 10 YEARS. I RECENTLY SWITCHED WHEN I REALIZED THAT MY HAIR IS FINER BECAUSE MY RELAXER WAS TOO STRONG. MIZANI IS TOO STONG FOR MY 4A FINE HAIR. PHYTO LEFT MY HAIR WITH BODY EVEN THOUGH IT WAS STRAIGHT. I WILL CONTINUE WITH IT FOR AT LEAST 6 MONTH

bablou00

I voted mizani for fine and color treated hair. It is a mild relaxer and my stylist doesnt keep it on that long to overprocess my hair. It gives me a lot of shine and body. The pic in my avatar is the four days post relaxed. Its very full and soft. I will never stray away unless I go natural and that probably wont ever happen:eek:

gymfreak336

I have used design essentials, silk elements mild and ors with great results. I am thinking about trying something new though and I think it will be mizani for color treated hair.

Flamingnubian

The best relaxer for me is ORS... I have used Affirm and Mizani, but ORS just makes my hair feel right. Affirm and Mizani made my hair feel really limp and flat. My 4b looks very thick, but relaxes very easily.

IMFOCSD

Hi

I use africa's Best Kids Organics relaxer. :look: I like it because the ingredients are impressive and even if I keep the relaxer in my hair longer than I am supposed to if I want it texlaxed my hair does not come out bone straight. Last time I relaxed my hair it took almost a half hour because my roots were underproccessed and hard to part. I thought my hair was going to come out bone straight but it did'nt. My hair was soft, manageable and even thickened up. I will be using this relaxer for a while.

sweetcoco

newflowers

I am a Phyto girl for years now. I love it - no burning, very straight and stays straight with full, healthy hair. I've used and had used on me many other relaxers in the past, but Phyto is the best I've ever tried.

jade998

It looks like it is between ORS and Phyto.

Thanks ladies for all of you that have voted.

I have to make a decision between cheap or expensive :)

secretdiamond

I looove Silk Elements. A lot of people stopped liking though. ORS might be a good choice. It's cheap and others love it. I hated it-- but that's just me.

SouthernTease

Affirm's Fiberguard is like the Rolls-Royce of relaxers.
I've been using that for a couple of years.
My last relaxer was done by a Dominican...
she used Designer's Touch...
my hair got super straight...
I like it... I like it better than Fiberguard...
maybe... I dunno.

Last edited:

sareca

SouthernTease said:
Affirm's Fiberguard is like the Rolls-Royce of relaxers.
I've been using that for a couple of years.
My last relaxer was done by a Dominican...
she used Designer's Touch...
my hair got super straight...
I like it... I like it better than Fiberguard...
maybe... I dunno.

I love Phyto, but if I was going cheat and try another brand it would be affirm fiberguard. I used the conditioner after rinsing Phyto last time.

jade998

All the ORS users, are you using No Lye and does it leave you hair with body. Body is the one thing that was pushing me towards phyto. I was also leaning towards Silk Elements, but few people voted for this.

krissyprissy, ur pic in itself, is advert to try Silk Elements, if ever I saw one. You hair is very beautiful.

Thanks again Ladies, of all the voting, please keep on voting. I am buying the relaxer in Friday to do it on saturday. If I use ORS, I will definitely have change left in my wallet, that is for sure.

Will definately put in some pics on Monday.

lana

I use Mizani, but I'm a 4a with some 4b parts in the back and I TEXLAX. Mizani has worked for me twice so far (I was natural for six years prior to texlaxing). Using Mizani was definitely the right choice for me. I leave it on for 10 minutes with minimal smoothing, my hair gets silky and the curls get loose. It's very pretty and it's a lye relaxer.

It comes in a little (tan) jar for sensitive scalp. I love what it does for my hair!

mzhotniz86

You can relax and still do a braid out. i was relaxed with Affirm (not sure if it was fiberguard or not or if that is the same thing) 7 weeks ago and I am trying to stretch. my ends are getting to be a mess again and I just got a trim last week, but Ive moisturized and done braid outs and my hair is still soft (tangled and nappy, but soft :D) in fact i did a braid out last night, my hair was a hot mess this morning so Im sitting at work with this nappy mess of a ponytail on my head :lol:

crlsweetie912

Mizani for fine and color treated hair (for me)
I started with this one because at the time, my hair was color treated. I love this relaxer soooo much! My hair is hella thick and this stuff relaxes like nobody's business, but it still gives me full bouncy hair! My rollersets after a fresh relaxer (and even when I am WEEKS post) look beautiful. It doesn't dry my hair out either. I found a vendor on ebay that sells it for a great price. The only thing that would make me want to change is if I could find a cheaper alternative that was available in the BSS. I may give ORS Lye a go even though I don't want to cheat.