APL 2012 Challenge

jprayze

Hi All,

My current hair length is about 1.5 inches SL. I am also in the MBL 2012 challenge. I plan to hit APL by April, maybe I'm a little too optimistic.

I'm 'almost' natural; I still have some relaxed ends, last relaxer was September 2009. I'm still trying to iron out my reggie; I mostly wear my hair straight. I go to the Dominican salon about once a month. Heat styling at home is at a minimum and I sometimes bun. I'm very simple. I use mainly CD, ORS, and Creme of Nature products.

I color my hair, but I am going to take a break least until I hit APL.

Pic is from early December. How close do you think that I am to APL? I'm really having a hard time judging. Thanks.

Attachments

• hairprogress.jpg
    hairprogress.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Nat1984

Finally back with starting pic and details :grin::

~Current hair length: Shoulder length
~Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Relaxed
~APL goal month: June
~Current Reggie and styling choices: Keeping it simple - DC 1 to 2 times a week, rollersetting or wrapping (no blowdrying, and also limiting the use of hair straighteners), moisturise daily/every other day (depending on what my hair needs), protective styling 95% of the time
~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?: I'm still near the beginning of my hair journey, so I am just going to stick to the above for now and see how it goes
~Post a beginning picture:

Attachments

• photo(13).JPG
    photo(13).JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 74
  • photo(14).jpg
    photo(14).jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 62

kupenda

So my plans to do a curlformer set for Christmas have fallen through. I guess I'll be hiding under my halfwig. Out shopping with SO. Suppose to get some UGG moccasins but I any find any in that pretty chestnut brown. I suppose I will settle for a new pair of sperrys. As much as I love sperrys, I just want some fur lined shoes. I have sock issues. Ramble over. Carry on

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF :)

esi.adokowa

@NickiQ, I cannot believe that bunk stylist did that to you.. When you're apl in December, you will have to go back just to swing that ish in her face!

I flatironed my hair last night in preparation for Christmas mass tonight (it was kind of a rush job, but I'm playing the piano, so I need to attempt to look fly haha)

My ponytail wants to be like @chasturner84's when it grows up!

Hope everyone enjoys the holidays!
And I'm so glad that @NickiQ is staying with us!

Last edited:

kupenda

Cowashed this morning. My hair smelled like hemp oil :( had to get that out. And I'm happy to report that I can now 1.) make a ponytail that touches past the base of my neck
2.) and touch the ends of my hair hen I reach behind my back. Ohhhh yeahhhh. Progress!

SimJam

starting pictures and measurements

LT nape 6.75
RT nape 7.0
Front 9.0
LT temple 7.5
RT temple 8.0

Attachments

• LT nape 24 dec 2011.jpg
    LT nape 24 dec 2011.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 34
  • RT nape 24 dec 2011.jpg
    RT nape 24 dec 2011.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 34
  • front 24 dec 2011.jpg
    front 24 dec 2011.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 35

GIJane

esi.adokowa you are so close to APL. You could actually get there by February. :yep:

NikkiQ maybe you should continue to trim your own ends and when you get below bsl have someone even you up to bsl. Let them know that if they go above bsl that's their TAIL! I know how you feel. Back in May I was 1/2 inch to BSL went to a stylist for a trim. Specifically, pulled out a ruler and showed her how much I wanted cut. When I looked in the mirror my hair was to my shoulders. So I empathize with you. We will get you pass this.

Last edited:

LoveTheSkinImIn

I wanna playyyy!

~Current hair length:
SL in the back (some weird shorter length in the front)
~Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Natural
~APL goal month: I'll say June for the back of my hair, December for the front

~Current Reggie and styling choices:

I'm also in the Twist/Bun/Braid for Growth Challenge, so primarily twisting every week. Leaving them in for 5 days and twistout for 2-3 days. Clarify once a month with Dr. Bronner's castille soap (peppermint...yum). For between-"washes" I cowash with Aussie 3 minute. DC after each cowash (weekly) with cholesterol+olive oil OR Silk Elements hair mayo. Use Giovanni Direct leave in and mango butter to seal my twists.

~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?

Drinking more water and taking my vitamins (OneADays and biotin) religiously.

~Post a beginning picture
Pic 1: August 2011
Pic 2 and 3: Dec 24 2011
ETA: Pic 4: Dec 2011 straightened

Last edited:

Aggie

Okay ladies, I promised to come back with pics of my new weave (Janet Collection Afro Jerry - 14") and here it is:

Attachments

• Weave (Janet Collection Afro Jerry) Dec 24, 2011 002.jpg
    Weave (Janet Collection Afro Jerry) Dec 24, 2011 002.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 49
  • Weave (Janet Collection Afro Jerry) Dec 24, 2011 003.jpg
    Weave (Janet Collection Afro Jerry) Dec 24, 2011 003.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 49

BlkOnyx488

bump it, i was going to wait until my birthday to flat iron, but truth be told i got way too much time on my hands this week so of course i am going to turn my attention to my hair duhhhh!

i just flat ironed my hair. i used maxiglide on setting 6. one pass most of the time no more than 2

ic heat protectant mixed with broccoli seed oil and grape seed oil.

and paperthin sections
I have natural 4a b hair

for the challenge
I plan on continuing what I have been doing all year. keeping my hair in cornrows for 1 month at a time. only taking down to wash/ clarify and deep condition.

I will deep condition once a week and keep a baggie on my head every night.

I will do a blowout every 2 months in order to trim my ends, I am taking Nonies advice! :yep:

the next time I flat iron my hair will be for the old guard ball in april. I should be APL by then.

ETA.. before LHCF my hair has never been longer than neck length/ ear length. slow growers gimme some luv!!!!!

Attachments

• 1324783774-picsay.jpg
    1324783774-picsay.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 1324783899-picsay.jpg
    1324783899-picsay.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

kupenda

I got an extra annoying present from mother nature today. Cramps are intense. I'll be lounging all day today. Maybe DC and do my first tea rinse. Sorry, no cute hair for Christmas

AlwaysNatural

I got an extra annoying present from mother nature today. Cramps are intense.

Oh my gosh me too, I've been cursing all morning. Took some Advil but something tells me the bottle is going to have to stay mighty close to me cause this ain't gonna be the end of this. Lol I was like oh hayle naw G, on Christmas?!

Sent from my iPod touch using LHCF

EasypeaZee

Hey guys sorry I've been MIA just finished up finals and in the process of finishing bartending school but more about hair.... I recently took out my individuals and twisted my hair. Due to my being in my 8th month I my stretch, they should stay and become my primary method of styling so I think I'll join the twist for growth challenge as well.

Merry Christmas to you all! Stay safe!

kittenz

Merry Christmas Everyone!! Hope you all are having a wonderful time with friends and family.

Also....it's my 1 month natural anniversary!!! It's been a very good month and I look forward to many more!

Chiquitita

I'd like to join ...

~Current hair length: Somewhere between CBL and APL
~Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Natural
~APL goal month: April, 2012 (my two year BC anniversary)
~Current Reggie and styling choices: Mostly wearing braid outs these days. DC'ing weekly. Shampoo every two weeks. Just oil and re-braid every night.~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? Keeping my hair stretched as much as possible..
~Post a beginning picture: Will come later

@faithVA Thanks for tagging me in..I know its been awhile..Life got a little hectic for a minute, but I'm back and ready for APL !!

ETA: And Merry Christmas to everyone ..

felic1

Merry Christmas everyone!! I had my beautician press my hair and trim my ends. Wow! I had no idea that my hair was so long. I will send pictures when I figure out how to. It is between CBL and APL. I have a ponytail. I have a one year naptural anniversary next month. I have been using Giovanni and Shea moisture condirioners. I get it clean with KCCC shampoo. I have also used the AOHSR conditioner and Kimmaytube leave in.My hair is thriving. I am so shocked at how well it looks.I am using the garlic tablets a month prior to starting MGT treatments. I just need the alter ego conditioner. HaPPY HOLIDAYS!!!:drunk:

Last edited: