APL 2012 Challenge

SavannahNatural

I'm so excited I need this challenge i just cut 5 inches last week from past APL to a little below SL. I had a major set back from weekly flat ironing. This will be my first challenge ever.YAY!!

Current Length: SL
I'm Natural
APL Goal July 2012
Reggie: daily cowash, no more heat, bunning for protective style, MS daily, Nioxin vits daily, weekly DC, JBCO to scalp 2X weekly, Exercise 3 to 4 days a week.
What i'm changing is no more heat.
Pic coming soon.

mscece1, I don't think you have to go to the extreme to achieve your results:spinning:. Especially since you're talking of quitting cold turkey:grin:.

Have you dealt with your hair in it's natural state (i.e. not straight)?

More power to you if you can, but don't feel like you have to give up your flat iron and you'll get instant results! Find out what your hair needs to reduce the damage caused by heat. Moisture? Protein for strength? Are you neglecting your hair once it's straight and not giving it the moisture it needs for fear of reversion?

I don't know the magic answer, but take it slow and post to the board with your hair activities! You'll figure it out and we're here to help and support!

HHG

SavannahNatural

I was cleaning out my shed (whew what a job) and I found a container full of hair supplies that I had when I was relaxed. I knew I had that stuff some wear. Found a blow dryer. I had 7 curling irons. A flat iron which I think I never used :ohwell: I had a bag full of pink rods, a big bag of magnetic rollers, a bag of the white soft rollers, hair bands, hair barrettes, end papers, some hairogami things and some combs. I hit the hair jackpot :yahoo:

I'm glad I cleaned out my shed before going to the store to buy rollers and rods. That stash saved me 50 bucks. :yep:

I threw everything in the washer because its been in my shed at least 5 or 6 years.

OMG how envious I am of you:yep:! Since I've been deployed the better part of the last 4 years I had a decent stash of items as well that I completely abolished since starting my natural hair journey, so I know Christmas will come soon for me too, but no where near the stash you have! Can you post pics???:lick:

SavannahNatural

Hi ladies, Happy New Year!

I struggle retaining length at my nape area because that is the worst area for my psoriasis...

I read somewhere recently about a helpful psoriasis tip, something that was a bit out of the norm. Let me see if I can find it and I'll come back to edit this post with the info.

I know this is vague, but I wanted to post as a reminder to myself:grin:

lilyofthenile

I read somewhere recently about a helpful psoriasis tip, something that was a bit out of the norm. Let me see if I can find it and I'll come back to edit this post with the info.

I know this is vague, but I wanted to post as a reminder to myself:grin:

If you find it, please do! :grin: I've had it under control for some time but stress makes me relapse constantly.

kupenda

Happy New Year ladies! Right now im sitting in Starbucks with my SO. He's so silly. He fixed my computer screen, so now I get to see alll the pretty hair again! Yay! Geez I missed that. Anyway, I have been doing this low manipulation thing lately out of sheer laziness. And ive noticed something. My hair no longer stays in my crochet hat that i wear. It falls out and i have to keep tucking it back in. This is good :)

Evolving78

Happy New Year! off to a good start this year with finally coming up a with a solid reggie. i really like how my hair feels with using a little product as possible with moisturizing and sealing. i think i may switch to Mizani Butter Blends instead of Mizani Regular. i know my hair won't get straight like i want it, but i am really trying to gain thickness this year as well.

i've slept pretty for two days. depending on how my hair feels in the next few days, i will probably wash and dc on Wed and do it again next Sun. so i guess it will be every 4-5 days or if am able to go a week.

JustGROWwithIt

Happy New Year ladies! Right now im sitting in Starbucks with my SO. He's so silly. He fixed my computer screen, so now I get to see alll the pretty hair again! Yay! Geez I missed that. Anyway, I have been doing this low manipulation thing lately out of sheer laziness. And ive noticed something. My hair no longer stays in my crochet hat that i wear. It falls out and i have to keep tucking it back in. This is good :)

So what low manipulation style have you been doing? That's something I really need help with.

blueberryd

Here's my official Jan1 2012 starting pic.

Reggie Summary:
Heat: 1-2x per month (max) on 390 degrees
Everyday low manip style of choice: Rollerset
Wash, Steam, DC, Rollerset every wash
Vitamins: Biotin, Iron, Multi

Aiming for 1 inch/month. Will take update pic and trim March 1.

TruMe

OK, I would like to join this challenge specifically for my crown area. I am keeping my layers so this is the next area that needs to reach APL while the rest continue to move on down.

Current hair length - Crown is right at the base of my neck

Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd - Natural

APL goal month - Dec 2012

Current Reggie and styling choices - Shampoo with SLS-free shampoo once a week with an oil pre-poo, co wash once a week with the con dish as a pre-poo mixed with essential oils, light protein treatment every other week, DC every week, bunning 5 days a week, castor oil scalp massage 3 times a week, daily sealing with castor oil and water moisture

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? - I am in the castor oil challenge (originally I have been using coconut oil) and the bunning challenge.

Here is my beginning pic...

Attachments

• IMG_0646.jpg
    IMG_0646.jpg
    482.7 KB · Views: 22

NikkiQ

Finally at a comp ladies! About to update the challengers list. I think after a while, I just won't add anymore names to it. This sucker is just rolling with challengers lol

lovely_locks

I have been roller setting my hair and either bunning or wearing a hair clip. You know the one with the teeth...idk what its called. But I have been using the smallest size and its to small! Time to go up a size!

Sent from my SPH-M580 using SPH-M580

pookaloo83

Just dusted my hair and pin curled it for tomorrow. My hair feels so much better. I guess I will wash my hair next week. Even after the trim I'm still a lil under collar bone length,.

JustGROWwithIt

I am sitting under my steamer right now and then I will be putting my hair into medium/small 2-strand twists. I'm going to try to keep them in for 2 weeks...we'll see. But they'll be in at least a week. I will take my official starting picture for the challenge tonight before I twist and try to post it tomorrow.

caltron

*Sigh* I got my retouch on Saturday and was a little bummed because my hairdresser felt that I needed a major trim because the ends were tangling. I am back to the same length I was three months ago. She also said I needed a protein treatment in a few months. So I guess my hair needs a little TLC.

On the bright side, I didn't lose any inches, and hopefully with the changes I plan to make I'll be able to retain my growth next time around. I was too bummed out to take a pic but I will do it soon. :(

kupenda

So what low manipulation style have you been doing? That's something I really need help with.

It surely isn't a style lol. But for the past week or so I haven't done anything special to my hair. At first I was in a ponytail with the ends tucked under and held in place with a pin. Then I got tired of that so I took the pony down. I've been baggying everyday with whatever moisturizer I used a few days ago. I haven't moisturized/sealed in four days. Haven't needed to. And just put my hair in two loose braided pigtails under my crochet hat. Wake up, put the baggy on until it's time to leave the house, back under the hat.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF :)

Ogoma

Updated with starting pics:

Current hair length: Just below my neck/(maybe shoulder?)
Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Natural
APL goal month: December (or June seeing as I am in the 12 inches in 12 months challenge :look:)
Current Reggie and styling choices: Co-wash 4-6x a week, cleanse and steam 1x a week; alternate between wash & go and puffs with the occasional stretched "out" styles
What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? Incorporate nightly scalp massages, keep up my 5x a week workouts, and eat better - no more chips and ice cream for dinner :nono:
Post a beginning picture: below

Last edited:

faithVA

OMG how envious I am of you:yep:! Since I've been deployed the better part of the last 4 years I had a decent stash of items as well that I completely abolished since starting my natural hair journey, so I know Christmas will come soon for me too, but no where near the stash you have! Can you post pics???:lick:

That's funny. I never thought to post pics. Well I threw out some of the curling irons and the flat iron and gave the rest of the curling irons away. I also threw out some of the head bands. But I will take pics of the rest of the suff.