APL 2012 Challenge

EasypeaZee

I'm wondering if I should do my twists weekly or every 2 weeks. I mean I'm not really doing anything to them besides M&S daily and wear them under my wigs. I think washing twice a month is enough in the colder months.

Every two week seems a bit more reasonable especially if they're not going through too much during the week.

fiyahwerks

I'm in. :cool2:

~Current
SL

~Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd
Transitioning

~APL goal month
December 2012

~Current Reggie and styling choices
CW 1-3x a week, No Heat, DC weekly. Braid my hair up in 2 french braids using butters or creams, seal w/avocado oil and put on my wig. In January, I think I'm getting braids. So for 2012, wigs, braids, wash-n-gos and maybe a sew-in for protective styling.

~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?
Incorporating bi-weekly hot oil treatments with avocado oil and tea tree oil for the winter months.

~Post a beginning picture

Okay. So today, I chopped off my permed ends and I'm no longer SL. It's a new year and I figured I better get it over with for 2012. I did fight with this for a minute. After some hesitation, I was like F it, snip, snip. lol. My SO isn't going to like it, but he'll get over it. I still wanna be in the APL challenge though if that's okay.

My new submission pictures:

I think I'm NL. You gals/guys tell me. Sorry for the blurry pictures. I have a 2-1/2 year old swimming around my legs...

~Current
NL

~Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd
Natural

~APL goal month
December 2012

Same

No more scissors until December 2012.

brittle_hair

I'd like to join

~Current hair length
CBL
~Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd
Natural
~APL goal month
end of May
Crown 'n' glory
Continue to spray hair with oil/braid spray mix and take nioxin 2wce a day

Attachments

• 01.01.12.jpg
    01.01.12.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 18

KaramelKutie803

@KaramelKutie803 Your current length is what I call a "hurdle length" and you have to jump over the hurdle to see progress, and the the hurdles are everywhere, your car seat, your shoulders, the AIR!!!!:ohwell:

I didn't get past this length until I PSed my way past it:yep:

I don't know what your regi is, however I believe if you include a 24/7 PSing style you will blow past the "hurdle length"

HHJ!!!:drunk:

Thanks for the advice. I'm gone try twists and twistouts as my protective styles. Hopefully it doesn't take long to get past this hurdle

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
@NikkiQ @SimJam @faithVA

Here ya go! These are my starting pics, I took them on Jan 2, 2012.

(ETA: This last pic was taken Jan15th - the first pic of the back I took was a lil blurry)

Red Line - Grazing SL
Purple Line - SL
Light Green - APL!!! :grin:

Last edited:

SimJam

bajandoc86 finally **rolls eyes** lol

nice thick hair, lovely !!!!! you should get to APL this year.

.... lol I see your precious in da background

JustGROWwithIt

I am at that "hurdle" length too. I can't wait to get over this hump. NikkiQ I was redoing my twists every week and this week is the first time I'm going to try for 2 weeks. So hopefully it works out ok. I'm more worried about it looking bad because I don't cover my twists. But I might just redo the edges if it starts looking raggedy. I think 2 weeks will help me retain better. At least that's what I'm wishing for :)

NikkiQ

I am at that "hurdle" length too. I can't wait to get over this hump. NikkiQ I was redoing my twists every week and this week is the first time I'm going to try for 2 weeks. So hopefully it works out ok. I'm more worried about it looking bad because I don't cover my twists. But I might just redo the edges if it starts looking raggedy. I think 2 weeks will help me retain better. At least that's what I'm wishing for :)

We can be 2-week twist buddies! :yep:

Sent from my SPH-D700 using SPH-D700

NaturalfienD

Hello Chicky-babes,

Just checking in and saying hello to all ... I'm happy to know that I'm not the only dreaming and fantasizing about APL. I visualize doing a roller set on my longgg hurrr and swanging my locks everywhere- honey, folks won't be able to tell me I ain't the bees-knees! So freaking excited y'all .... still planning on posting my starting pics in two weeks.

Nf

Sent from my Devour using Devour

Khaiya

We can be 2-week twist buddies! :yep:

I'll join you ladies, i always redo my twists weekly too, gonna try and keep them in for 2 weeks but i know i still have to do my weekly wash somehow or my scalp will make me pay. i might pull my twists out a little early and wear a twistout till i get to the two week mark, we'll see, i'll give it a try anyway.

NikkiQ

Khaiya have you tried to wash/cowash them with a stocking cap on during rinsing to keep them from getting frizzy? It worked pretty well for me before, but I don't wear mine out.

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
I've been a little quiet as of late but I'm still around. My cornrows are out and my hair is woofin'. I'm 11 weeks post relaxer so you can just imagine what my roots look like. I NEED to get my hair back up into a protective style ASAP. I'm thinking I may get something done this weekend...I'm thinking medium-large sized box braids. Until then, I'm rocking a straight half wig by Motown Tress which everyone thinks is my real hair...if only they knew...

lovely_locks

I am going to try using my pillow curlers tomorow. I am going for a messy bun type look.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using SPH-M580

SavannahNatural

Ok In order to insure that I make it to APL (preferably before December so I can get a head start on BSL) I think I'm gonna keep my hair in mini twists. I'm just worried if a month is too long to keep them in at a time/ if my ends will be safe. I'm adding a picture below... Sorry the pic is so huge... And I'm not entirely sure what to do about my ends since they're relaxed but my roots are new growth central...

I kept my mini-twists in for 4 weeks with no problem! I made sure to moisturize the length of my twists every few days or so, but tried to moisturize my ends nightly.

I know this current weather we're having makes you want to wear a hat and scarf (It is winter... right?) but that would be my only concern.

In your pic it doesn't look like your twists are rubbing against the fabric of your shirt, which is a plus!:grin: If you put on a satin bonnet and then rock a cute crochet hat a la this site when outside and wearing a coat, your ends should be fine!:yep:

Last edited:

SavannahNatural

Checking in....

Still installing kinky twists. I've been sick and this install is taking me forever to complete!

Oooh I hope you post pictures when you're done!

I was able to complet 3 rows of perimeter hair of kinky twists once, never completed it and walked around with it like that for a while! :look::ohwell::perplexed

Once I was able to complete my mini twists I figured I could give kinky twists a try again, and seeing yours will definitely be an inspiration!

SavannahNatural

I had just realized that I have found a way to easily roller set my hair. Now all I have to do is perfect it. Im so proud of me

Isn't it nice when we find a way to do something new to our hair!:drunk:

Since joining LHCF and watching YouTube vids I've taken a whole new stance with doing things myself to my hair I wouldn't have dreamed of doing before!

SavannahNatural

Well now that I'm visiting my mom I had her assist me with taking another set of length check/starting pics, and I'm very happy with the growth I achieved in 2011 and can't wait to reach APL this year!!!

I also snapped some pics of my evening style, just two french braids with the ends pinned. I'm debating on using this style as a PS for the next few days or week+ instead of bunning. With the length of my hair now I haven't found a way of bunning that makes me comfortable with tucking my ends :nono:...anyone have any tips, suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_0653.jpg
    IMG_0653.jpg
    436.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0658.jpg
    IMG_0658.jpg
    497.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0656.jpg
    IMG_0656.jpg
    497.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0660.jpg
    IMG_0660.jpg
    459.3 KB · Views: 30

NikkiQ

I have no tips,but those french braids are SO pretty!! Your hair looks so soft and shiny

AyannaDivine

GIJane Amla Olive Heavy Cream from Qhemet's Biologics.

Thank you ma'am, I just assumed everyone knew what I meant lol!

Ladies I was too lazy to wash my hair this morning. The AOHC did soften and moisturize BUT my strands feel super coated and almost waxy...o__O

Sent from my M860 using M860

SavannahNatural

I have no tips,but those french braids are SO pretty!! Your hair looks so soft and shiny

:think: NikkiQ, is that me you're talking about?! :kisses:

Thank you! I do my best to keep it moisturized. Currently I've only been using a bit of sulfur on my scalp and Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Mask on my ends.

I'll probably co-wash today and just braid it up again. I'm very fortunate that I don't have the demands of a 9-5 which keeps the manipulation of my hair extremely low!:yep: