Apl 2016 Challenge

Wenbev

Thank you for the compliment @Wenbev:)

no problem Hair Goddess :look:

Tried a twistout on unwashed hair. Added lavender, tangerine and rosemary EOs to my spray bottle of water and used Darcys botanical hair gel. Twists came out defined but with the unusual humidity in the air, the twists frizzed slightly by the afternoon.
Still trying to manage the breakage; the shedding has returned to its normal rate. Will continue to drink teas, silica, gallon of water and take multis.

Last edited:

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
Just finished my take down of 5 week old cornrows, accomplished with minimal breakage. I really love the 'harp string' method for detangling and have used it for the last 6 months with success. Also my hair seems to continue to thicken up. I am really interested to hear Reniece's opinion.

I will go back into bigger cornrows - maybe 6 max, so I can rock my wig until my hair appointment.

Aggie

This morning I prepooed with an avj/pracaxi/pumpkin seed oil combo for 20 minutes ,then Moroccan Natural Oil Weightless Shampoo followed by 15 minutes of Keracare Super Reconstructor and 10 minutes of Keracare 5 in 1 Reconstructor.

My leave in will be Redken Antyis Snap Leave in. I have a combination of butters that I will be using to seal my hair with later.

Last edited:

Aggie

I cowashed my hair this morning with Aussie Moist Conditioner before heading out to church.

After church I moisturized my hair with Oyin Hair Dew sealed with a combination of ceramide butters, massaged some hairdrenalin potion on my scalp and inverted for 5 minutes. Now my hair is nice and super soft.

faithVA

Just finished my take down of 5 week old cornrows, accomplished with minimal breakage. I really love the 'harp string' method for detangling and have used it for the last 6 months with success. Also my hair seems to continue to thicken up. I am really interested to hear Reniece's opinion.

I will go back into bigger cornrows - maybe 6 max, so I can rock my wig until my hair appointment.
Describe the harp string method for us please.

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
@faithVA

So I came across this video at the end of last year and decided to try a modified version of her technique on a whim.

In each section instead of starting at the ends, I start at the roots.
Using the thumb and index fingers of both hands I separate the strands and then press my thumb and index fingers together and gently pull the shed airs at the level of the roots down just a little.
Then I repeat the above step just a little lower (at the level where u feel that the shed hair strands have been pulled down to).

Honestly this method was really like a light bulb moment for me. Tangling at the roots has been a serious issue causing short broken hairs near the scalp. With this I get them at the roots and by repeating the steps they just slide out.

I may do a video showing this method once I am back in Ja. So you can see how I modified her technique. Maybe. I make no promises. Lol!

Last edited:

faithVA

@faithVA

So I came across this video at the end of last year and decided to try a modified version of her technique on a whim.

Using the thumb and index fingers of both hands I separate the strands and then press my thumb and index fingers together and gently pull the shed airs at the level of the roots down just a little.
Then I repeat the above step just a little lower (at the level where u feel that the shed hair strands have been pulled down to).

Honestly this method was really like a light bulb moment for me. Tangling at the roots has been a serious issue causing short broken hairs near the scalp. With this I get them at the roots and by repeating the steps they just slide out.

I may do a video showing this method once I am back in Ja. So you can see how I modified her technique. Maybe. I make no promises. Lol!
OK cool. I guess I do something similar and have done so for a while. Just didn't know someone had named it.

GGsKin

When it comes to products, this seems to be my week of experimentation. My hair was feeling really dry this evening so I decided on impromptu twists for a twist-out, using Entwine Crème Jellé Styler. I've had this for ages but never used it on myself. I'm not washing my hair until Friday so hopefully this will give my hair some life until then. Will take down and take pics tomorrow.Instasize_0622224901.jpg

faithVA

When it comes to products, this seems to be my week of experimentation. My hair was feeling really dry this evening so I decided on impromptu twists for a twist-out, using Entwine Crème Jellé Styler. I've had this for ages but never used it on myself. I'm not washing my hair until Friday so hopefully this will give my hair some life until then. Will take down and take pics tomorrow.View attachment 364881

Inspiring. Can't wait to have big juicy twist like these. That back piece would be in a bun quick :yep:

GGsKin

Why wait? You can pull off twist now :yep:

Pure vanity lol. I like a wash and go too much to stop just yet. At this length, I think I look cuter styling my hair loose vs twists, and I can detangle often. I know as my hair gets longer I may not be so enthusiastic about the wng life so I'm making the most of it now.

GGsKin

I retwisted the front of my hair last night (without additional product- was supposed to wet it a little but forgot) and my twists were their usual malnourished selves lol.

Entwine Crème Jelly Styler can take all the credit for my plump twists. The next time I try this product will be on clean hair because it wasn't fair test. Apart from a little whiteness and stickiness, I am happy with the results.

Edited for corrections.

Last edited:

faithVA

I finally did some measurements. I did the best I could since I did them alone. It appears it is 6 inches from my nape to full SL. And it is another 3 inches from full SL to APL on me. None of my hair is at full SL at this point. The majority of the hair in the back is at nape and small portions are at SL but not full SL. With another 6 months most of my hair should be grazing SL with small portions at full SL.

I won't be APL this year but hopefully some portions will hit by the middle of next year and then the rest should catch up by the end of 2017. I may have some pieces grazing this year though. I knew I wouldn't reach APL when I started this thread but I was hoping some time this year to get close.

I will be hosting the 2017 thread as well. :yep:

I hope we have a bunch of graduates this year though.

Aggie

Prepooed this morning with black cumin seed oil and aloe vera juice
Shampooed with Redken Cleansing shampoo followed with Macadamia Natural Oil Rejuvenating shampoo
Oil rinsed with a mixture of aloe vera juice and evoo
Deep conditioned with Macadamia natural Oil Nourishing Conditioner
Redken Anti Snap Leave in
Moisturized
with CRN Aloe Whipped Butter Gel and sealed with my own mix of ceramide oil and butter combo.

Wenbev

I finally did some measurements. I did the best I could since I did them alone. It appears it is 6 inches from my nape to full SL. And it is another 3 inches from full SL to APL on me. None of my hair is at full SL at this point. The majority of the hair in the back is at nape and small portions are at SL but not full SL. With another 6 months most of my hair should be grazing SL with small portions at full SL.

I won't be APL this year but hopefully some portions will hit by the middle of next year and then the rest should catch up by the end of 2017. I may have some pieces grazing this year though. I knew I wouldn't reach APL when I started this thread but I was hoping some time this year to get close.

I will be hosting the 2017 thread as well. :yep:

I hope we have a bunch of graduates this year though.

I hear you ms @faithVA , I'll be in that apl 17 thread w ya.

ajargon02

@faithVA

Kimmaytube does this.

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
My hair appointment this morning went extremely well. Reniece will continue to get my coins. The appointment started on time, I had 100% of her attention, she is so gentle (even when blowdrying) and she is just pleasant and engaging.

She gave me an A on my 'report card'.
I maintained my hemline, had a reduced number of short hairs (which means I am avoiding breakage near to scalp), an obvious increase in density, thickness AND length.

I am hype right nah. I already made my next appointment date :yay:

faithVA

My hair appointment this morning went extremely well. Reniece will continue to get my coins. The appointment started on time, I had 100% of her attention, she is so gentle (even when blowdrying) and she is just pleasant and engaging.

She gave me an A on my 'report card'.
I maintained my hemline, had a reduced number of short hairs (which means I am avoiding breakage near to scalp), an obvious increase in density, thickness AND length.

I am hype right nah. I already made my next appointment date :yay:

First, :yay: Congratulations on your great report card and progress.

Secondly,
Um, I know you got some pictures right?