Apl 2016 Challenge

Wenbev

Definitely sounds like too much product. Stick to one heat protectant. If you properly hydrate your hair prior to the straightening process, you will need to use less to keep it moisturized after. i.e. dry crunchy hair prior to washing that is still feeling crunchy after will net dry crunchy straightened hair. I'd use the oil, like a dime size, on the night of day two or three when setting your hair. Would not suggest using oil prior. Also consider the amount of protectant you are using when blowing. It really doesnt need to be more than a dime or a nickel size depending of the thickness of your hair. When I blow dry, I use a dime size per quadrant, focusing on the ends. I wouldnt bother using a protectant with a rollerset if there's no direct heat.
and dont forget to shampoo all that protectant out when you wash and use a reconstructor/protein treat to add protein after straightening

Wenbev

major difference with my hair, very excited. The use of protein conditioners and treatments has made a difference - less little broken hairs. The stands are clumping and have movement. I also shampooed late last week as well. I've been co-washing for several months now so I really need to be more conscious of how far I go between shampooing. Also my water consumption has been terrible so I am keeping a tally of how many bottles of water I drink daily. Last but not least, getting back to taking my supplements, drinking bamboo tea and making the veggie smoothies every morning.

Wenbev

Finished the week with taking all supplements and upping my water but didnt drink bamboo tea. Cowashed this afternoon with SSI blueberry on one side and a sample of avedas cowash on the other. SSI still wins. Aveda's foamed up like a traditional shampoo and left the hair feeling clean but without much moisture. The SSI cleansed and felt slippery and moisturized after. I had pushed the SSI to the back of the hair pantry in favor of SM manuka. Trying not to buy anymore products want to work thru what I have.

Aggie

Finished the week with taking all supplements and upping my water but didnt drink bamboo tea. Cowashed this afternoon with SSI blueberry on one side and a sample of avedas cowash on the other. SSI still wins. Aveda's foamed up like a traditional shampoo and left the hair feeling clean but without much moisture. The SSI cleansed and felt slippery and moisturized after. I had pushed the SSI to the back of the hair pantry in favor of SM manuka. Trying not to buy anymore products want to work thru what I have.

In that case @Wenbev, you should join the 3 month no buy challenge with @Prettymetty. I'm sure it would help you get through your stash and save some money at the same time. We have a great support going on in there.

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
Your hair is beautiful

Thank you!

That's a lot of hair.

Thanks!

I often feel like it isn't enough you know, and then comes the time I have to blow dry it and I be tiiirreeedd. Like why am I not done? LOL!

I took some pics on wash day (post blow dry) and compared em with ones I took in January and I definitely can see the difference in length and thickness.

Janet'

Hi Ladies!! Just checking in...My hair is still braided up...I'm still unable to put my weight on my foot so it's left me pretty immobile...But, on the bright side- maybe this was a Hide Your Hair challenge in the making...Coconut oil has been my best friend... I hope everyone is doing well!;););)

Wenbev

wash day was yesterday - prepood with a myriad of leftover conditioners/EOs/castor oil (4 more empty bottles yay) @Aggie I can't join the challenge since I bought more stuff :look: Shampood with a neem and bayleaf shampoo (part of the new stuff I bought at homegoods) and deep conditioned with SSI honey condish rinse.

InBloom

In my new-growth
Checking in.

I've been horribly inconsistent with daily vitamins. I'm better with my water intake as of late.

I keeps my hair clean with frequent cowashing and washing. I've given up on avoiding sulfate shampoo. I must shampoo to remove the buildup. It makes such a difference.

I've also been using lighter proteins more often. Just about weekly, and it's what I need. I've been so afraid of protein overload that I would avoid it like the plague.

I've been splurging on DC purchases...trying different brands. I'm even more open to masks...using the less-is-more approach. Haven't found more than one WOW product yet, but I do have one.

Layers. Ugh. I trimmed a bit off my bottom layers and feel like it will take forever to reach my goal. I'm being realistic, hoping to eek by year's end.

Still pressing onward.

Happy growing ladies.

GGsKin

After all my henna-ing, conditioner and shampoo use, and infrequent washing/wetting, my hair was not retaining as much moisture as I'm used to. It was big (which I love) but it was drying out faster and I've been getting a lot of tangles and knots, even after my trim. (Probably) the henna and (possibly) fewer washes had my hair feeling dry/damp much quicker when I left the shower.

So last night I decided to reset and used two teaspoons of baking soda in a diluted mix of KCKT with St Afrotasic Curl Elastic. After squeezing and smoothing that through my strands (small sections), I rinsed, and applied my clay mix in the same fashion (left on for 1 hr).

As I applied my gel (diluted KCCC), I could tell the BS had done it's job- my naked hair stayed saturated with water for almost the full hr it took to shingle my hair with gel.

My hair today.2016-05-27_18.46.31.jpg

ForestRose

Update on my hair is that I am still on some kind of healthy hair journey. Atm I'm wearing a sew in wig that i take out every week or so to look after my hair underneath. I will be putting my hair in box braids or twists this summer too.

I'm just constantly protective styling which grows my hair the best in all honesty. I wish I had become comfortable with the idea sooner. My goal is to keep doing that till the end next year until my hair is at a length in which I can do quick, low manipulation styles such as chunky braid outs and buns.

Overall my aim is to have at least 10 inches of hair by the end of 2017. Wish me luck

faithVA

Unless anyone objects, I'm going to change the length check to August instead of June. I don't see a lot of people checking in on schedule. You can still length check any time you want and can always check in when you reach SL.

We should have some graduates by August.

xu93texas

Unless anyone objects, I'm going to change the length check to August instead of June. I don't see a lot of people checking in on schedule. You can still length check any time you want and can always check in when you reach SL.

We should have some graduates by August.

This works for me because it coincides with the 2 inches in 4 month challenge.

Janet'

Happy Sunday Lovelies!!!:2inlove:

So...I'm still here...still on full FMLA but inching towards being able to return to work for at least half days...What that means for hair is that I have been keeping it braided. My friend comes and re-braids every week and half to two weeks. Yesterday, I pre-poo'ed, set under the steamer, and then got my hair washed, blow-dried, and re-braided...I also gave myself a little trim (very necessary). I don't know how much my hair has grown, but I feel like it should be healthy. Coconut oil is my saving grace-- for my hair, skin, I slather it on errthang!! :spinning::spinning:

Janet'

After all my henna-ing, conditioner and shampoo use, and infrequent washing/wetting, my hair was not retaining as much moisture as I'm used to. It was big (which I love) but it was drying out faster and I've been getting a lot of tangles and knots, even after my trim. (Probably) the henna and (possibly) fewer washes had my hair feeling dry/damp much quicker when I left the shower.

So last night I decided to reset and used two teaspoons of baking soda in a diluted mix of KCKT with St Afrotasic Curl Elastic. After squeezing and smoothing that through my strands (small sections), I rinsed, and applied my clay mix in the same fashion (left on for 1 hr).

As I applied my gel (diluted KCCC), I could tell the BS had done it's job- my naked hair stayed saturated with water for almost the full hr it took to shingle my hair with gel.

My hair today.View attachment 362169

:eek::eek:Gawgeous!!!!!:bounceline::bounceline::bounceline:

GGsKin

I need to find the will power not to snip and shape my hair like I'm wearing crochet braids. One minute I want my hair to level out, next minute I'm snipping a teensy bit here in the name of shape smh.

On my quest to not slack on washes, I conditioned my hair today with diluted afrotastic curl elastic (still testing this out but I like that is has some light protein), and then clay washed.

After rinsing, I oiled my length and ends, rinsed and sealed my ends with shea butter, before applying gel. I don't remember not liking the smell of shea butter.