Apl 2018

sunflora

Flowah Powah
@sunflora - have you tried taking the tablets IMMEDIATELY after eating? Or better still, break one in half and have half immediately after breakfast and the other immediately after your evening meal? Sorry for your troubles, it sucks :bighug:

Yep, even if I get to the point of stomaching, I am no longer able to make a movement that doesn't need to be scheduled in a 2 hour block a week in advance (TMI, I know).

sunflora

Flowah Powah
Did your doctor due iron studies or just a CBC? The CBC only tells that you're anemic right now but the iron studies provide a possible why. Also, you say you eat healthy, but are you getting enough iron and vitamin C? How much calcium to do you take in?

Iron infusions don't necessarily hurt but I'd much rather take the pills than do those.

Unfortunately I have no idea. I eat a lot of tuna and leafy greens, lots of fruit. Not great on calcium since I am lactose intolerant.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
Yay. Don't leave us. I don't see myself making it this year either. I've made some progress but it seems like a long way to APL. We still have over 4 months left though.

Is it just me, or is this the hardest length? I look in the mirror and think, I'm not that far, but it also seems so long if that even makes sense? I imagine that my hair will be so much easier to manage once it hits APL - buns will be effortless, less flyaway hairs, etc. It's just somehow a difficult milestone. Maybe I'm just crazy, or maybe my linebacker shoulders make it seem longer :lol:

faithVA

Hi ladies
I just received a growth progress shirt yesterday and had my back stretched just to see
At what number would you consider APL?
Unfortunately your shirt is too big for an accurate reading using it. Also it helps to take a straight on picture versus taking a picture at an angle. I see in your last post you think it is between 4 and 5. I think it probably more between 3 and 4. Between 4 and 5 should put you closer to BSB.

I hope you can work out the picture issues so we can see what you see.

faithVA

Is it just me, or is this the hardest length? I look in the mirror and think, I'm not that far, but it also seems so long if that even makes sense? I imagine that my hair will be so much easier to manage once it hits APL - buns will be effortless, less flyaway hairs, etc. It's just somehow a difficult milestone. Maybe I'm just crazy, or maybe my linebacker shoulders make it seem longer :lol:

I know others have said it was their hardest milestone. However, I struggled so long to get to SL, I'm hoping that getting to APL won't take nearly as long.

I was thinking getting to APL would give me a lot more styling options, however, I think I'm going to have to be closer to BSB before things get easier. But getting to APL will be great in it's own right. All my twist look better even though I'm not near APL yet.

guyaneseyankee

I agree. For some reason I feel like I still have a TWA cause of shrinkage and me pulling my hair back all the time in a puff.
I remember being natural before and having longer twists. I'm chasing that...

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
For me getting past APL has been the hardest part of my journey. I have been natural forever and my hair breaks continually once I get there.

I cant even lift my arm in the back and touch the top of my bra. I'm only 5'7 but it seems like I have a long torso. It seems like the bottom of my bra is also where my armpit is in the back. :whyme:

I'm slightly over it at this point, LOL. I maintain my hair past SL. If it gets to BSL before I hit 50, it will be a miracle.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Unfortunately I have no idea. I eat a lot of tuna and leafy greens, lots of fruit. Not great on calcium since I am lactose intolerant.

This sounds like a good diet to help with anemia as it's high in iron. Make sure you have enough vitamin C as well as that helps your body absorb the iron better. And calcium can block iron absorption so you're good there too.

A few years ago when my iron was lower, my doctor recommended clam juice (because I told her I was never going to eat any liver) and that really worked for me. I think I found it near the canned tuna. It smells bad but if you mix it with sauces, you really can't smell or taste it.

This is also my current conundrum. My hair growth is fine, but my ends being only about an inch and a half over SL is wreaking havoc. I thought people were playing about your ends catching on everything at this length. And because I can't make the ends all go under to make a nice bun, my ends take on a lot and I can tell they are getting weathered. Part of me wants to get a phony pony but it is way too hot for that.

kupenda

Sunday is wash day. So tonight I am going to thoroughly detangle my Wack Patch, massage that section with oil, and flat twist it to keep it stretched. That should help speed up the process on wash day.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
Well, i screwed up and gave myself what could be a very bad setback. Long story short, trying to give myself box braids I boiled the ends on one side of my hair. I'm over it. Going to a professional to get it braided Tuesday, then probably sticking to braids/weaves from now on. If, on a whim, I decide to go back to natural hair, I'll come back here and check in, but I expect at least a 6 month binge.

I spend like 8 hours trying to braid half of my head lastnight... that was 8 hours I desperately needed to be studying. Braids are prob best for me when I need to get my CISSP and finish my degree, so I'll worry about my hair when I have more time to

Good luck everyone else! I'll prob be lurking in December for final length checks

kupenda

Shampooed with Motions moisturizing shampoo. Deep conditioned with Kindred Butters Pepermint Mocha Joe, added a bit of honey and olive oil. I really want to blow dry but the way my laziness is set up *face palm*

faithVA

I took out my two strand twist last night. This morning I rinsed my hair and scalp just to give my scalp some relief. I didn't shampoo because I had to run out. So I coated each section with S-Curl and CD Honey Mimosa and wore a puff. My puff is getting a bit larger but the back is still way shorter than the front. It felt pretty soft though.

When I got home, I shampooed with Mane Choice Type 4 Shampoo and deep conditioned with the matching conditioner. For each section, I used the Jaded Tresses leave-in/butter and then gelled each section. I then put in 2 strand twist while I watched TV.

My two strand twists are still short but more wearable. I would like to wear them for 2 weeks but with my heavy workouts so far they only last for a week. I will try each week to get them to last a bit longer. For now I plan to stay in small 2 strand twists until the fall and wear the occassional flat twists style if I'm too busy to install twists. In the fall I may try crochet braids again or roller sets.

20180805_222724.jpg 20180805_222458.jpg 20180805_222746.jpg

Last edited:

faithVA

I was supposed to color my hair tonight. I just didn't feel like it. I will try to do it next weekend.

LovelyRo

I’ve been so lazy with my hair in terms of styling. I’m going into week 3 with my WNG ponytail. If I have to be fancy, I do a phony pony with kinky curly weft hair.

OTR2 is Friday and I’m wearing my kinky curly upart wig.

I have been keeping up with my weekly regimen though.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
Just finished blowing out my hair in prep for going to the braider tomorrow. I used medium heat with the tension method, nothing but a couple of drops of the Innate Life rose elixir. I think it's the softest blow-out I've done yet! I was definitely tempted to flat-iron just to see how it would feel, but it would be a waste so I'll just take note of my technique for last time.

The side of my hair I was panicking about doesn't seem bad. It already was the rougher side that needed more of a trim than the left, but I couldn't notice any extreme damage - just a split here and there or an ssk here and there, and I did a quick s&d of those so that they wouldn't snap during braiding. It's still just a little beneath my collar bone, no notable gain of length there. I'll make sure my braider leaves my edges out - she's very gentle and I trust her - and then see how long I want to PS after all. Now, I get the feeling I'll actually miss my hair. :rolleyes:

faithVA

Took my twist out Saturday. I did a simple water rinse and then conditioned with deva decadence. I left it in and rinsed it out tonight.

I've put off coloring my hair for weeks and finally made myself do it tonight. I shampooed with camille rose ginger rinse. I towel dried and applied surya brasil color and let it sit for 45 minutes. I rinsed and sprayed diluted deva decadence on each section and put in 6 flat twist.

I will let it dry tonight and style in the morning.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
Ok, I'm back from vacay. I'm gonna try to get my twists to last 2 more weeks so that I can get a month's worse, but it's definitely going to be a stretch with how much they've slipped already. I had a room mate and she was wearing a quick weave. Somehow we got on the subject of hair, she mentioned hers and I asked to see pictures. Her hair was almost TBL!!!! I asked her how she maintained it, she said all she did was put it in two braids (like a crown) once a week after wash day. That was it. She straightened maybe once or twice a year. She also mentioned wigs and phony ponies on occasion. It definitely inspired me to stick with it.

TLC1020

Just relaxed my hair at 13 weeks and I'm no close to APL then I was previously, so I didn't retain much.. I thought about cutting my hair to neck length but I didn't. Bummed

ms.tatiana

I haven’t got a haircut since December 1, 2017
2D3EDF1C-B06C-4C37-B406-E62177EA5B98.jpeg 555B8FA3-4DA9-42B8-812D-A8DC264051C2.jpeg 01205E09-BB83-4662-B937-AB6A49C6F8BA.jpeg C0AF0E71-A4E3-48D1-BA2E-551AD6704CE4.jpeg

This is the haircut from August 2017
3CB698DB-99B5-44F7-89E2-91F7C7AC826D.jpeg

What length are you now?
Just a baby Afro around the sides, growing out a taper cut.

What's your regimen?
Currently doing the LOC method.

What do you need to do/change to reach APL?
Moisturizer my hair

Goal areas: back, front, sides, crowns if already APL in a section/sections
Need to take better can of my edges also

What month would you like to reach your goal?
December 2018