Apl Challenge 2017

GGsKin

Are there any naturals or transitioners that bun everyday? I tried this and I can't seem to do it. My hair is just so tightly coiled it won't pull back. I watched some you tub vids and none of them seem to do anything to the middle of their head, just slick back the sides. Maybe that's my issue. I'm trying to get the middle of my hair smooth as well. My thought is spraying with water then just pulling back not thinking about the middle. It's a mess in the middle though.

On the odd accasion where I style my hair up in one (as opposed to middle part, or half up half down), I always do it in sections and on wet or damp hair.

So I'll start by smoothing the front and middle section into position. This avoids a lumpy mid-section. I'll add more hair by smoothing with my hands into the section I'm already gripping, until I reach my hairline and all hair is contained.

If it's a high ponytail, I tip my head upside down and let gravity do the work, while using the same method. Because my hair is gelled and wet or damp, the weight and volume (or rather lack of volume) helps me to contain it with less effort and stress on my strands, as opposed to me doing it on dry hair. On my unstretched dry hair, I cannot achieve a smooth bun/ ponytail.

It probably also helps that I only use a banana clip or puff cuff.

Edited for typos.

Last edited:

DST1913

On the odd accasion where I style my hair up in one (as opposed to middle part, or half up half down), I always do it in sections and on wet or damp hair.

So I'll start by smoothing the front and middle section into position. This avoids a lumpy mid-section. I'll add more hair by smoothing with my hands into the section I'm already gripping, until I reach my hairline and all hair is contained.

If it's a high ponytail, I tip my head upside down and let gravity do the work, while using the same method. Because my hair is gelled and wet or damp, the weight and volume (or rather lack of volume) helps me to contain it with less effort and stress on my strands, as opposed to me doing it on dry hair. On my unstretched dry hair, I cannot achieve a smooth bun/ ponytail.

I probably also helps that I only a banana clip or puff cuff.
Ok so I wet sections at a time as I pull it up? I will try that out to stretch it and see if that works. I have a puff cuff but since Im transitioning it doesn't look good with the stringy ends. I can only use it on a bantu knot out.

GGsKin

Ok so I wet sections at a time as I pull it up? I will try that out to stretch it and see if that works. I have a puff cuff but since Im transitioning it doesn't look good with the stringy ends. I can only use it on a bantu knot out.

Yeah, that's what I do if my hair is already dry. I focus on only wetting the strands that are being moulded to my head, leaving the ends dry for fullness. The only time I won't attack my hair in small sections, is when I'm pulling it back loosely for bed.

Definitely give it a try. It'll probably work just as well with a hairband.

Last edited:

Carrie A

Are there any naturals or transitioners that bun everyday? I tried this and I can't seem to do it. My hair is just so tightly coiled it won't pull back. I watched some you tub vids and none of them seem to do anything to the middle of their head, just slick back the sides. Maybe that's my issue. I'm trying to get the middle of my hair smooth as well. My thought is spraying with water then just pulling back not thinking about the middle. It's a mess in the middle though.

This was is basically me. Honestly, I have been a chronic bun wearer all of my life so It's a habit that I can't seem to break. At this point I've just excepted it. And yes you are correct. This is a big reason why my hair grew long but the ends weren't so healthy and it was dry as heck. I swear at some point I was doing exactly what you described for like years. It's not the bunning that is the problem but you must make sure all of the hair is properly conditioned and in some cases stretched.

Now that I'm regrowing my hair I make sure to saturate my hair and coat all strands with conditioner, deep condition with steam, just added protein, and use a softer tie. I make a big twist in the crown of my hair and moisturize the ends then just pull the sides around it, Or I brain at the back and just have the front out. I always apply some light moisturizer every few days (if needed now that my regimen has improved). Since I've been doing this my hair is MUCH BETTER. I can wear wash and goes longer and on wash day my hair is not as tangled.

Last edited:

DST1913

This was is basically me. Honestly, I have been a chronic bun wearer all of my life so It's a habit that I can't seem to break. At this point I've just excepted it. And yes you are correct. This is a big reason why my hair grew long but the ends weren't so healthy and it was dry as heck. I swear at some point I was doing exactly what you described for like years. It's not the running that is the problem but you must make sure all of the hair is properly conditioned and in some cases stretched.

Now that I'm regrowing my hair I make sure to saturate my hair and coat all strands with conditioner, deep condition with steam, just added protein, and use a softer tie. I make a big twist in the crown of my hair and moisturize the ends then just pull the sides around it, Or I brain at the back and just have the front out. I always apply some light moisturizer every few days (if needed now that my regimen has improved). Since I've been doing this my hair is MUCH BETTER. I can wear wash and goes longer and on wash day my hair is not as tangled.
The twist in the middle and pulling the hair around it is genius! I think this will work. It will allow me to stretch and moisturize the middle. Thanks so much for the advice!

PerfectlyFlawed

Ladies I need your help. I have a date tomorrow night and I have no idea how to wear my hair. Any ideas, aside from flat ironing (it's a first date not trying to set a precedent lol)?

Edited to add: if you have any YouTube videos that you think could help i'd greatly appreciate it. Also my hair is about 1 in from APL if that helps with styling ideas

Last edited:

DST1913

Ladies I need your help. I have a date tomorrow night and I have no idea how to wear my hair. Any ideas, aside from flat ironing (it's a first date not trying to set a precedent lol)?

Edited to add: if you have any YouTube videos that you think could help i'd greatly appreciate it. Also my hair is about 1 in from APL if that helps with styling ideas
I have no style ideas but if I were 1in from APL I would be letting my hair flow so he could see what I got. Lol

DST1913

Washed my hair this morning with the CRN ginger shampoo and this time mixed with my shea moisture shea butter shampoo and its much better.

Did my DIY goat milk conditoner and thennnnn OMGGG...APB blueberry cheesecake DC. This is sorcery. You will not convince me that this stuff is not made in a bubbling cauldron deep in the forest. My hair has NEVER been so soft and detangled (i also posted this in the hits and misses) I am still in shock. I hate that I have to order it online but I am def trying out more of their stuff.

faithVA

I didn't see your post in time. How did you wear your hair.

SAPNK

Haven't posted much because my hair is in marley twists. But i am on the forum everyday seeing whats up with you guys.

Does anyone else feel like they're on their last leg with their hair? I feel like if keeping these twists in all summer doesn't give me growth, I don't know what else I can do. There is nothing else, lol.

faithVA

Haven't posted much because my hair is in marley twists. But i am on the forum everyday seeing whats up with you guys.

Does anyone else feel like they're on their last leg with their hair? I feel like if keeping these twists in all summer doesn't give me growth, I don't know what else I can do. There is nothing else, lol.
I do you feel you. And then someone comes along and says they did 1/16th of what you did and they have this huge amazing length check. Yeah I'm over it. :lol:

Evolving78

Everyone is putting their hair up, and I'm getting my creamy crack fix! lol I tried to put my hair up, but that caused me a setback..

I bought some Design Essentials Form hair spray. I don't use hair spray, since it has alcohol in it, and doesn't allow me to restyle my hair. It's suppose to be a flexible hold. I haven't used hair spray since 2012.
It's going to be hot tomorrow. I may end up not doing much styling to my hair. It would be nice if I could do a flexi rod set, but my hair isn't the length I want it to be for that yet.

gvin89

Currently getting box braids for the summer with someone I know personally. I treated the braiding hair with ACV and conditioner and allowed it to air dry. I shampooed and used AOGPB for a little protein. I hope these will last until August, but I'll keep a close watch on my edges.

Evolving78

I didn't color my hair this time around. I think I might take back this rinse and get a cover stick for my little gray strands. I wash my hair too much for a rinse.