Are there Ghanains here?

brandy

I noticed that Ghanains have very thick beautiful hair!! I want to know what contributes to this? Is it your diet, lifestyle, what you use on your or is your haircare routines?
Please do share!

locabouthair

I'm not Ghanian but I know two Ghanian members here. GhanianDime and RavenIvyGirl and they both have very thick, lovely hair.:yep:

There was a Ghanian girl I went to college with and her hair was very beautiful also. It had to be at least APL, maybe near BSL and thick. From what I heard her hair grows fast. I never knew what her regimen was though.

brandy

I'm not Ghanian but I know two Ghanian members here. GhanianDime and RavenIvyGirl and they both have very thick, lovely hair.:yep:

There was a Ghanian girl I went to college with and her hair was very beautiful also. It had to be at least APL, maybe near BSL and thick. From what I heard her hair grows fast. I never knew what her regimen was though.

I agree with you! I have also noticed that their hair grows fast. I heard that in Nigeria if you had thick beautiful hair, people would say you've got Ghanaian hair!!

Can the Ghanains here come in and say something please.

cookiey

I noticed that Ghanains have very thick beautiful hair!! I want to know what contributes to this? Is it your diet, lifestyle, what you use on your or is your haircare routines?
Please do share!

am ghanain and oh yes my hair is very thick.

Eiano

I am!!
:wave:

But my hair isn't thick relaxed. Natural is a different story.....
My diet is mixed... I eat some of our food but mostly I've been staying away from it (I'm a little hefty)... My grandmother had the most thick hair before she came here. Then she started doing too much to it (relaxing & dyeing).. and it all went to hell.

I've never heard that generalization before.
All of my ghanaian friends have decent hair... very thick, but I've seen very few with the length.

sweetwhispers

I know its not PC.
But all my Ghanian friends have beautiful hair. Its thick, black and shiny. It grows fast. A vast majority of my close friends at secondary school were ghanian (twi )and they had lovely hair.( until they messed it up:nono:)
one of my friends sister had past BSL hair, and another little girl set fire to it:blush: but it grew back!
Also ghanian boys have lovely eyebrows.Yes its random i know:lachen:

caliber38

Hey yall. I've never heard this one before. My dad is ghanian and my mom is african american. My hair has always been thick but I never thought being ghanian had anything to do with it. Usually when random people on the street see my hair they say I must have indian in my family and I say NO I DONT. MY DAD IS AFRICAN. My diet is not great...i eat out a lot. I dont drink much pop though. I usually stick to cranberry juice and water. I work out when I can. My ma took good care of my hair as a kid and I have become a little obsessed since i got older b/c i want hip length hair lol.

Last edited:

africa

Hi :wave:

Checking in. It's hard to generalize because Ghana is made up of a lot of different people and groups. Having said that, a lot of women in my family and friends don't really take care of their hair at all: overlapping relaxers, no conditioners, braids and weaves back to back without a thought about hair health and you wouldn't believe how many are really thick APL or longer. Before I found LHCF I used to do this and my longest layers were at least APL.

I think its partly genetics. Kinky 4a/4b hair gets talked about generally like its' really fragile; but I know a lot myself included whose hair is anything but fragiel and will still stay on the head throughout abuse when others' hair would fall out yesterday, lol. A lot of the Ghanaian women I run into have this kind of strong kinky hair. Braids, weaves many I know wear may also help out but alot of people here say they break hair without care so I don't know.

Tzarina

My dads Ghanain, my little sister and cousins have beautiful thick hair but I’ve inherited my fathers baby fine hair (damn you man:pyro:).

Solti

I'm not Ghanaian but I noticed this too. The girls seemed to have thick hair not extremely long but most were shoulder length. They have nice ass cheekbones and beautiful skin usually too.

My friend that was Ghanaian followed a vegetarian diet for the most part and I noticed she would stretch her relaxers way before I realized the benefit of both these things or that she was doing it, she never told me, I just thought back to her hair in school when she had a lot of growth along her hair line and I would think," I wonder when she is going to relax it", once I started reading about hair care years later I realized she knew more than I did in that area.

I dunno if these things are a part of the culture because she is a Seventh Day Adventist.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I know its not PC.
But all my Ghanian friends have beautiful hair. Its thick, black and shiny. It grows fast. A vast majority of my close friends at secondary school were ghanian (twi )and they had lovely hair.( until they messed it up:nono:)
one of my friends sister had past BSL hair, and another little girl set fire to it:blush: but it grew back!
Also ghanian boys have lovely eyebrows.Yes its random i know:lachen:

My family friends from Ghana have very thick, lush eyebrows :) So pretty!
And super thick hair to boot...
There might be something to this. I have actually never met a Ghanaian with thin hair hmm...

cmw45

I have a Sorority sister from Ghana and she has nice (meaning well taken care of) hair but her hair care practices aren't the best. Her hair is constantly braided up and she should be BSL but...she sacrifices healthy hair care for style anyday and her hair shows the effects of this. Because of this she went natural before me but my hair is longer and in much better condition. You know I'm willing to share but all I ever hear is..."Ummm...why do you think your white? Wasing your hair all the time like that." She then proceeds to roll her eyes. :look: You can lead a horse to water but...

She is really tight with some of my Nigeran sorority sisters and when they ask me what I do and I tell them all they say is, "Well, umm your're African American and you got that different kind of hair." (The implication being that I'm don't really have black hair). Humph!

Affinity07

I think that a lot of African Americans may have Ghanian ancestry (which may explain the thick hair in my family :grin:). I've been researching and plan to do a DNA test to determine where my ancestors came from.

rabs77

Re: Are there Ghanaians here?

:grin: I must have missed this while I was in Ghana. Not sure if my diet makes a difference though.....interesting...

Last edited:

Thann

My dads Ghanain, my little sister and cousins have beautiful thick hair but I’ve inherited my fathers baby fine hair (damn you man:pyro:).

My dad is from Ghana too and his hair fine too. My mom is an American Black and she has super thick hair, way thicker than mines.

mslionheart

I'm not Ghanaian but I noticed this too. The girls seemed to have thick hair not extremely long but most were shoulder length. They have nice ass cheekbones and beautiful skin usually too.

:) So true Arabianprincess, especially the part about the cheekbones. I've said it a million times but the facial features that some people attribute to having Native American or Asian ancestry (high cheekbones and almond shaped-eyes) are pretty darn common in West Africa.

Please do share!

I'm not sure what to attribute it to but my parents are from Ghana and thick hair is definitely the norm on both sides of the family tree. On top of that, my hair was kept natural for most of my childhood. It was either threaded or my aunt would create some terrific cornrow styles. Now that I'm natural again I try to stick to the same simple practices that worked for me when I was younger.

iCandey

I am Ghanaian and I do have thick hair (at its natural or healthy relaxed state)...my hair does tend to grow fast....high have the high cheekbones - slight almond shaped eyes too.... I, like another poster, have seen the similarites in West African and Asian features as well..... I think the original Ghanaian diet may be related to health hair bc my grandmother had alot of hair...but soo many Ghanaians (in Ghana) relax so much now - I recall seeing alot of damage....but pics of my moms friends back in the day....OMG their hair was so thick and beautiful!

rabs77

Re: Are there Ghanaians here?

:) So true Arabianprincess, especially the part about the cheekbones. I've said it a million times but the facial features that some people attribute to having Native American or Asian ancestry (high cheekbones and almond shaped-eyes) are pretty darn common in West Africa.

I'm not sure what to attribute it to but my parents are from Ghana and thick hair is definitely the norm on both sides of the family tree. On top of that, my hair was kept natural for most of my childhood. It was either threaded or my aunt would create some terrific cornrow styles. Now that I'm natural again I try to stick to the same simple practices that worked for me when I was younger.

High cheek bones are very common in Ghana:yep:

And its GHANAIAN....not GHANAIN.:)

iCandey

I did a search and maybe its the okra that ghanaians eat to help hair growth? I will try the okra in my hair after reading about it...

envybeauty

Interesting. I wonder if it is diet or genetics.

I mean if you had a woman in Ghana with thick hair who eats mainly Ghanaian stews and soups, but then she comes to America and her diet is modified, does her hair lose its thickness?

If it is diet alone causing the thickness, then she should. If it is genetics alone, then no.

(absent her having only natural hair over there only to start perming it once she gets here or any other major hair care changes).

Maybe someone who lived in Ghana until they were a teen and who then came over here could comment about any changes they may have noticed in their hair after they got here.
:look::look:

drasgrl

I did a search and maybe its the okra that ghanaians eat to help hair growth? I will try the okra in my hair after reading about it...

Okra in hair? I've tried a lot of things to increase growth but if you tell me eating okra will do it, no way am I eating it (insert throwing up smiley) Ewww I hate okra (insert throwing up smiley).

BC2/4/06

I am :grin:! I didn't realize there were so many here! My hair is also very thick. My sister's hair is extremly thick and seems to be a mix of 4a/3c. She went natural about three years ago and her hair is amazing. She inspired to me to go natural as well.

peacensoul

I'm Ghanaian too.. My hair is very thick too my the way but I don't think its a Ghanaian trait because I know alot of Ghanaian with thin or down right damaged hair, but that might be do to the excessive use of gel, spritz and other damaging products.

Isis

Okra in hair? I've tried a lot of things to increase growth but if you tell me eating okra will do it, no way am I eating it (insert throwing up smiley) Ewww I hate okra (insert throwing up smiley).
Okra is a great source of zinc, very good for hair growth. :yep: There are different ways to eat okra also, if you don't like it the way you had it before.
There is a very long thread about okra and an okra challenge. :)

ETA: I continue to eat okra on a regular basis. I had okra (steamed) in my salad tonight.

Last edited:

Magus484

Both my parents are Ghananians. My hair is thick, grows pretty fast, and is down to my brastrap, at present ( a little past brastrap). I think that it is genetics because some of my sisters have trouble growing their hair long.