Armpit Challenge

MiWay

Candy_C said:
i made it to armpit recently this yr

my tips are:

airdry it!
bun it AT ALL TIMES outdoors!
let it out at home, wear a vest top so ur hair wont rub!
find some STAPLES!

My hair does seem to be growing during my bunning, however, should I re-do the bun each day, or should I just leave it alone and only brush the sides each morning? Just curious as to what others do... And how do you ladies keep your ends from becoming so dry and brittle when airdrying?

Candy_C

msbrown76 said:
My hair does seem to be growing during my bunning, however, should I re-do the bun each day, or should I just leave it alone and only brush the sides each morning? Just curious as to what others do... And how do you ladies keep your ends from becoming so dry and brittle when airdrying?

yes, if i was u, take ur bun down nightly. just to release it from you hair grip/band/scrunchie. give it a soft shake and massage your scalp with some nice oils.

plait it up at night if u dont mind waves. then in the morning use your hands and brush to scoop back into your bun.

when airdrying, use a leave i ncondioner, then put in a nice creamy moisturizor straight away. whe its nearly dry add some grease to the ends (just a bit) this wil lock in the mositure till ur next wash.

my ends turned brittle when i left out the creamy moisturizor part and just greased constantly every day. my ends crumbled.

dust them occasionally.

divinefavor

I think I would like to join in on this challenge, but I'm not sure if I'm even quite shoulder length yet (see pic below). Nonetheless, this gives me something to reach for. :) Edited to add that this picture was taken on 10.28.05.

Regimen (I don't really have one down pat):
I'm going to continue washing/deep conditioning once a week.
Maybe 1 midweek wash
Continue to wear my updo during the week along with other protective styles (rollersets, bun[once I learn how to do it], and phony scrunchie)
Keep a good balance of moisture and protein (still learning how to do this)
Make another attempt at airdrying
Continue on the MTG track (just started using it again last week and have noticed a difference)
Clarify every two weeks with Elucence Vol Clarifying shampoo (because of the MTG)
Continue to use staples (Elucence, Keracare) and avoid trying new products (this is hard for me to do y'all, I have so much in my closet!). :lachen: I may add MNT to my staples. I washed my hair on Sunday morning before church with Keracare, deep contioned with ORS Replenishing Pak mixed with equal parts of MNT conditioner, followed by Humecto, used Elucence conditioner as a leave in, added Redken Heat Glide and blow dried. I loved the results, I've never seen my hair look like this when I do it myself at home my fine hair felt so strong and my shedding was non-existent. I really think it was the MNT! So, I think I may by the MNT shampoo on my way home from work.

Ok...I'm off my soap box now!!! I'm in!

Last edited:

Elizabeth26

You have to upload the picture to an album or gallery and then right click on the picture and click properties. Then copy the image location and put it in between the tags.

divinefavor

Liz25_Ga said:
You have to upload the picture to an album or gallery and then right click on the picture and click properties. Then copy the image location and put it in between the tags.

Thanks for your help!

caligirl2385

I WANNA JOIN! HERE IS MY STARTING LENGTH (TAKEN IN NOV 05) I GUESS I'M ABOUT 2 INCHES AWAY:

MY HAIR GROWS SUPER SLOW. I WILL BE ALTERNATING BTWN WEAVES AND BUNS AND USING SURGE AND MTG. I DON'T PLAN TO RELAX AGAIN UNTIL MAY.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

Last edited:

Elizabeth26

marie170 said:
Hey ladies...I was thinking that sometime during the 1st week in January that all the people on the challenge should do an official measurement of how many inches you have to achieve before you reach armpit level and post it. I will be getting a relaxer during that week so that will be the perfect time for me. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I measure my hair on Saturday and I measure at 18 inches. I'm assuming I have about 2 more inches before armpit.

Last edited:

*Frisky*

Ok ladies..I am a bit discouraged..I have 5 and 1/2 inches to go until armpit:( but I will still give it a shot..I doubt if I make it before June.

Elizabeth26

Hey don't give up on yourself so soon. If your hair grow at normal rate you will have about 3 more inches of growth by june. If you haven't already incorparate some vitamins and growth enhancements, keep it moisturize and take care of your hair. Hey, even if you don't have your goal length at least you will have beautiful, healthy hair.

Last edited:

*Frisky*

Thanks Liz...So the normal rate is a 1/2 inch per month..I didn't know that. Well, hopefully my hair cooperates with that plus some extra for all the vitamins and extra care I am putting into it. Orginally I was giving myself until August to reach armpit but I changed it so if I can't do it by June then hopefully by August.

blueabyss333

I feel so anxious to reach APL. How did others feel when they reached APL? I won't believe it until I actual get there and take pics. And then I will be in amazement :love:. I'm on the bunning challenge so the only time I'll see my length is when I wash and even then it goes right into a bun. Hopefully I'll have no setbacks. All I need is another solid 4 or 5 inches, God willing.

jaded_faerie

Im getting so close to APL in the back! it feels good to know that my hair is actually growing and RETAINING :)

*Frisky*

atl_mulattamami said:
I'M SOOO LATE! Can I still join?!?! I want to be APL by December 2006!!!!!

Come on in!!! The challenge is over in June but you never know what your progress can be over the next 6 months...at least that is what I am telling my self..:)

gradygirl

Well girls January is almost gone and I was wondering how everyone was doing with the challange so far and what changes you have done in your routine to help you meet your goal or has anyone had any setbacks? The only setback I've had is that I cut about 1 inch off due to split ends(very discouraging). As for changes I've decided to go from texurized to relaxed and I am going to attempt not to use my flat iron except for special occasions. Well just thought I'd check in.

jaded_faerie

I did have a trim. I also got highlights...so far it hasnt caused any set backs, and hope it wont. Besides that my regimen is the same. Not exactly sure the length of my hair, since I dont plan on relaxing or using heat till late March.

locfreeme

I'm in. I have 4" to APL. I was shooting for July since my hair grows pretty fast, but at worst, it will probably be about September.

I just developed a regimen about a week ago:

Hair regimen (Sunday and Thursday):

Pre-poo overnight - EVOO mixed with Praises Oil

Wash - Queen Helene garlic shampoo

Deep condition - LeKair Tea Tree Cholesterol

Moisturizer - Bronner Bros Oil Moisturizer or African Royale MOM

Sealer - Shea Butter/Coconut Oil/Cocoa Butter whipped mixture

Daily style - air-dried bun (brushed w/ denman), tied with satin scarf nightly

Special event style - flat ironed with Solia on 300 degrees (maintained on soft rollers nightly)

Texlax every 12 weeks - Hawaiian Silky Mild No-Base Relaxer - next relaxer 4/8/06

Last edited:

s_terry

Here's my regime:

Rotate shampoos: Eulence, Jason, and aubrey organics GPB

Rotate conditioners with my favs: Salerm Wheat Germ and Garlic conditioner ( every second wash) with other's such as Jason's Sea Kelp and EPA

Hot oil conditioner every shampoo: My own mixture

Leave in condtioner : Salerm

MTG every other day

Oh, and I plan on reamping my vitamin reg at the middle of this month: MSM, Vitamin B complex, womens' vitamin and Protein shakes with EFA added

Elizabeth26

gradygirl said:
Well girls January is almost gone and I was wondering how everyone was doing with the challange so far and what changes you have done in your routine to help you meet your goal or has anyone had any setbacks? The only setback I've had is that I cut about 1 inch off due to split ends(very discouraging). As for changes I've decided to go from texurized to relaxed and I am going to attempt not to use my flat iron except for special occasions. Well just thought I'd check in.
Thanks for the update! I have been trying to stay away from heat but I'm struggling the last couple of days. My hair don't seem to want to act right. I have went without heat for the last month. I was trying to stay away from heat while my relaxer is still fresh because the older my relaxer get the harder air drying becomes. I haven't really change anything in my routine.

divinefavor

My regimen hasn't changed much except for that I have been wearing my hair pulled back all week and even on the weekends. I've also been using MNT Original conditioner, mixed with distilled water everyday when wearing my hair back. I have yet to measure my hair though. I'm still in the challenge and hoping that I can reach APL by the end of 2006. Here's a most recent picture of the length of my hair. This picture was taken on 1.8.06 (12 weeks post relaxer). I am currently almost 16 weeks post right now.

Attachments

• 1.08.06.jpg
    1.08.06.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 7

sareca

Height said:
I :look: 'm not even going to say what I was thinking.

LOL! :lachen:

Count me in. I'm not brand new, but I'm still at shoulder length. I have about 3 inches to APL and 3 to BSL? I'm totally guessing, btw.

I'm planning to use Crown and Glory, alternating one month on and one month off. At .5 inches per month that means about 6 months to APL. I should be half-way there in May and home free by July.

Last edited:

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Hi Gradygirl, I'm doing good so far. I relaxed on saturday and so far I'm skipping my way their only 1in. and a 1/2 to go, :clap: , God willing I should be there in 16wks. I haven't had any set backs, but did add some indian oils to my regimen: Dabur Amla Oil, Brahmi oil, and Castor Herbal Hair Oil (this made my scalp heatup or something once I was done massaging it into my scalp). Also Cocanut Oil, I went on an oil craze, lol.
gradygirl said:

MiWay

I think I have 4 inches to go, but I just did a wack measurement with a ruler in my office, so I could be totally off. Since I'm stretching or possibly transitioning, I'm having a hard time dealing with the new growth, so I've decided to get blowouts every 2 weeks to keep my hair manageable. Hopefully this won't stunt my hair growth.

*Frisky*

I will due another measurement around the 9th of February...I did one on January 9th and I had 5 1/2 inches to go...hopefully, I am least down to 5 or less will be even better...."fingers and toes crossed" Actually my measurement might be slightly off because my hair wasn't all the way straight when I measured..it was a little curled so maybe I have 1/4 inch extra to my favor.