Ask the stylist whatever you want!!

What is a good braid pattern to do under wigs if you have waist length hair?

Do you know any good professional lace wig makers?

Is lace glue really the problem (edges being destroyed) or is it the people using them? Because i feel like if a company make a product to dissolve the glue, the edges should remain in tact.

How do you not get your edges destroyes with protective styles like box braids, micros, croches, etc. I've never tried any of these however I see a lot of women who have no edges but these protective styles are mainstays for them
girlonfire

You can do a beehive or 2 half moons. Or even part your hair into 4 sections and braid those into beehives.

I only know of one person that does professional wig making. http://carmelesha.com/

As far as the glue it's both the glue and the people. Glue is no good for edges. NO matter how careful you are it's going to pull some hair with it.

The key to keeping your edges in tact with those sorts of styles is not braiding so tight and keeping your edges moisturized.

Do you recommend mizani therma smooth system for a transitioner? Do you think every product in the system is necessary or could you use a different serum etc?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF
shafireh

Yes. It is great for transitoners. The serum is the key product to keeping your hair straight. You can replace the shampoo and conditioner if you need too!

shafireh

Yes. It is great for transitoners. The serum is the key product to keeping your hair straight. You can replace the shampoo and conditioner if you need too!

Regarding the Mizani ThermaSmooth System being great for transitioners, is there anything transitioners should keep in mind using it? Can it be used too harshly or heavily like a BKT?

Regarding the Mizani ThermaSmooth System being great for transitioners, is there anything transitioners should keep in mind using it? Can it be used too harshly or heavily like a BKT?
naija24

It's just shampoo, conditioner, serum and shine spray. Nothing really that special about it. The same results can be achieved with different products. I still like it though. The serum is a bit heavy so if you use too much it will make your hair weighed down and stiff. It's nothing like a BKT.

Just wanted to say thank you one more time dontspeakdefeat for taking the time to share her knowledge. I read this thread everyday.
And of course doing the bump...

dontspeakdefeat I wanted to come in here not to ask a question but to say thank you (with literal tears in my eyes) I have been on this board for awhile. I've gone from relaxed to natural and back again. Setback to come back and such. In just two washes -I have gone from super tangled to NO tangles and I am so happy.

I could have avoided so many tears had I only found the Joico Shampoo and Conditioner sooner. I can't explain why I never purchased the product before because it has been mentioned before. But I tell you, once you mentioned it here, I was on it.

So thank you, thank you!

Highly Favored8

You will have to press your hair.

Make sure your hair is well conditioned. Use a good heat protectant such as Joico Smoothing Balm. Blowdry on medium to medium high heat. The heat on the flat iron should be between 350 - 375 degrees (a little more if your hair is resistant).

1. Should the joico be used before blow drying and again before flat ironing (or a different heat protectant before flat iron)?

2. If I skip the blow dryer and instead airdry in braids, can the joico be used only for flat ironing?

thanks!

serenity34

You put the super skinny on while wet before you blowdry. You don't need anything else.

No it is not more damaging than a brush.

You mentioned a couple of times to blow dry the hair while wet, which is what I've always done before I found YT and forums. They always say blow drying wet causes damage and bubble hair. Many natural YT'ers even blow dry after their hair is completely dry, which I don't like and seems to cause over dryness in my hair and is redundant.

Why, specifically, do say to blow dry from wet? What techniques do you use to blow dry?

Thank you

I have straight and looser curls in my natural hair due to marcel flat irons, I believe. Those sections are so silky and smooth. So my question is, is that really heat damage? It seems like it has just permanently straightened my hair, just like a relaxer would, so is it actually damaged?

@dontspeakdefeat I wanted to come in here not to ask a question but to say thank you (with literal tears in my eyes) I have been on this board for awhile. I've gone from relaxed to natural and back again. Setback to come back and such. In just two washes -I have gone from super tangled to NO tangles and I am so happy.

I could have avoided so many tears had I only found the Joico Shampoo and Conditioner sooner. I can't explain why I never purchased the product before because it has been mentioned before. But I tell you, once you mentioned it here, I was on it.

So thank you, thank you!
HisBestFriend

Thank you. I am so glad that my product recommendations helped. Good Luck on your hair journey!:yep:

1. Should the joico be used before blow drying and again before flat ironing (or a different heat protectant before flat iron)?

2. If I skip the blow dryer and instead airdry in braids, can the joico be used only for flat ironing?

thanks!
HappyAtLast It goes on wet hair before blowdrying. I don't use it again because it is wet. It will make your hair revert. I do sometimes use another heat protectant before flat ironing. PM Super Skinny is one of my favs.

The Joico is not good on dry hair it is a wet balm.

You mentioned a couple of times to blow dry the hair while wet, which is what I've always done before I found YT and forums. They always say blow drying wet causes damage and bubble hair. Many natural YT'ers even blow dry after their hair is completely dry, which I don't like and seems to cause over dryness in my hair and is redundant.

Why, specifically, do say to blow dry from wet? What techniques do you use to blow dry?

Thank you
HappyAtLast

To each it's own as far as blowdrying is concerned. Blowdrying while wet is a time saver for me. It does not cause damage if done properly. Just keep in mind that anything not done properly can cause damage. Brushing, combing, shampooing, flat ironing, protein conditions etc. can all cause damage if the proper techniques or products are not used.

It also gets the hair smoother IMO.

I have straight and looser curls in my natural hair due to marcel flat irons, I believe. Those sections are so silky and smooth. So my question is, is that really heat damage? It seems like it has just permanently straightened my hair, just like a relaxer would, so is it actually damaged?
Ms_Twana Unfortunately, yes it is heat damage. However if you are not overly concerned about wearing your hair in it's natural state, it should be fine. If your hair is not breaking or looking extremely thin, you should be fine.

dontspeakdefeat

Help! Everytime I do a wash n go and leave alone for like 3 days, I end up with clumped hard to detangle sections. Does this mean I need a trim? What is the best way/product to detangle thick clumps of natural hair? When I co-wash after leaving my hair out for so long, I give up detangling in the shower because it takes too long and I usually don't make much progress.

I usually end up with a marathon detangling session with broken hairs everywhere. :ohwell:

Tips?

@dontspeakdefeat

Help! Everytime I do a wash n go and leave alone for like 3 days, I end up with clumped hard to detangle sections. Does this mean I need a trim? What is the best way/product to detangle thick clumps of natural hair? When I co-wash after leaving my hair out for so long, I give up detangling in the shower because it takes too long and I usually don't make much progress.

I usually end up with a marathon detangling session with broken hairs everywhere. :ohwell:

Tips?
Holla

Quick question. Are you usually a finger comber/detangler?

Thanks. I really appreciate it!:yep:

HappyAtLast It goes on wet hair before blowdrying. I don't use it again because it is wet. It will make your hair revert. I do sometimes use another heat protectant before flat ironing. PM Super Skinny is one of my favs.

The Joico is not good on dry hair it is a wet balm.

HappyAtLast

To each it's own as far as blowdrying is concerned. Blowdrying while wet is a time saver for me. It does not cause damage if done properly. Just keep in mind that anything not done properly can cause damage. Brushing, combing, shampooing, flat ironing, protein conditions etc. can all cause damage if the proper techniques or products are not used.

It also gets the hair smoother IMO.

@dontspeakdefeat

Tips?
Holla
Make sure that you always work in sections. Shampoo in sections, condition in sections and detangle in sections. Try 6 to 8 sections to make the work easier. I know you don't want to hear this but detangle completely while wet in the shower while you are rinsing to conditioner off. Always do a complete detangle while wet. I mean complete. I like to put conditioner on and them comb it through to get out the tangles. Then you can twist your hair up so it won't retangle.

@Holla
Make sure that you always work in sections. Shampoo in sections, condition in sections and detangle in sections. Try 6 to 8 sections to make the work easier. I know you don't want to hear this but detangle completely while wet in the shower while you are rinsing to conditioner off. Always do a complete detangle while wet. I mean complete. I like to put conditioner on and them comb it through to get out the tangles. Then you can twist your hair up so it won't retangle.

Thanks! Do you use any special products while detangling or just regular conditioner?

There are so many different brands of hair out there for sew-ins. By far, what do you think is the best type of hair to buy for a nice and natural looking weave. TIA.

Back