Ask the stylist whatever you want!!

naija24

It is ok if you do it yourself but you must be careful. I would recommend only pressing your hair every two weeks. Every week can be a bit much for most heads of hair.

Make sure to use a good heat protectant such as Paul Mitchell Super Skinny, or Chi Silk Keratin Infusion or the likes of those.

Keep the heat lower. You can start at 350 degrees and work your way up to more if you need to. Most people don't need more than 375 degrees. One pass should be enough if you go at the right speed but don't do more than two passes. Blowdry on medium or medium high if you must. Oh yeah, make sure your hair is well conditioned before each flat ironing session.

For the color. Reds fade quickly on everyone. That is just the characteristic of the color red. The ones you see that have that vibrancy all the time are getting it done often. Try a reddish brown color for your skin tone. I think that would be nice.

Solid advice! thank you. I'm 14 weeks into my indefinite nonrelaxer status and i think i am flat ironing wrong because my roots are as if i did nothing to them!! I use a Babyliss Pro 1 inch flatiron. I got to my roots. I used its a 10 leave in for my heat protectant. I don't know, its like nothing happened :/

What am I doing wrong? How small of sections should I be doing to get some swang?

dontspeakdefeat

so you are saying that the integrity and strength the hair can be kept even when being straight and every two weeks? the last time I went to a Dominican salon to get my hair straightened because I can't straighten myself because I'm flat iron / blow dryer challenged the woman told me to come back in 2 weeks. its not like I didn't believe her or something I just don't have $40 to fork over twice a month

Solid advice! thank you. I'm 14 weeks into my indefinite nonrelaxer status and i think i am flat ironing wrong because my roots are as if i did nothing to them!! I use a Babyliss Pro 1 inch flatiron. I got to my roots. I used its a 10 leave in for my heat protectant. I don't know, its like nothing happened :/

What am I doing wrong? How small of sections should I be doing to get some swang?
naija24 Very small sections.

@dontspeakdefeat

so you are saying that the integrity and strength the hair can be kept even when being straight and every two weeks? the last time I went to a Dominican salon to get my hair straightened because I can't straighten myself because I'm flat iron / blow dryer challenged the woman told me to come back in 2 weeks. its not like I didn't believe her or something I just don't have $40 to fork over twice a month
girlonfire

Yes it can but not if you continue to let the Dominicans do it! :nono:

What are the best proteins for low porosity, protein sensitive hair? Hydrolyzed wheat protein is considered moisturizing by some but it acts as a strengthener on my hair.

What products / techniques do you recommend for low porosity, protein sensitive hair? My hair demands moisture.

ETA: What is a reasonable amount of breakage daily and on wash day?

Last edited:
What are the best proteins for low porosity, protein sensitive hair? Hydrolyzed wheat protein is considered moisturizing by some but it acts as a strengthener on my hair.

What products / techniques do you recommend for low porosity, protein sensitive hair? My hair demands moisture.

ETA: What is a reasonable amount of breakage daily and on wash day?

divachyk

Try experimenting with a all moisture no protein regimen. Just experiment though. I am not sure how often you relax your hair but try doing protein on just relaxer days. In your situation it's kind of tricky because relaxed hair does need protein. I have had clients who would relax every 12-16 weeks with no protein in between and their hair did great without it but everyone's hair is different. I really can't say much without me having my hands in your hair.

Maybe try keratin protein instead.

Hair shouldn't break everyday or everytime you comb. You need moisture for sure if that's the case. Dry cold weather is a breakage culprit right now.

On shampoo days breakage should be minimal from zero to just a few pieces here or there. Again the issue is moisture. Hot oil treatments work well to help combat these issues.

Hi!

I just recently watched a Youtuber say that titanium irons are damaging. What are your thoughts on titanium vs. ceramic irons? Which is best for straightening natural hair (keeping it straight, eliminate frizz, produces smooth and shiny hair, minimizes heat damage). I have a Sedu Revolution ceramic iron but have been looking at the iron you suggested (the Babyliss Pro). I just want to make sure I know which kind of flat iron is better for my thick, transitioning hair AND once I am completely natural. Thanks so much!

Can I get a relaxer and keratin complex protein treatment at the same time? I am thinking that this would strengthen my hair strands.

divachyk

Try experimenting with a all moisture no protein regimen. Just experiment though. I am not sure how often you relax your hair but try doing protein on just relaxer days. In your situation it's kind of tricky because relaxed hair does need protein. I have had clients who would relax every 12-16 weeks with no protein in between and their hair did great without it but everyone's hair is different. I really can't say much without me having my hands in your hair.

Maybe try keratin protein instead.

Hair shouldn't break everyday or everytime you comb. You need moisture for sure if that's the case. Dry cold weather is a breakage culprit right now.

On shampoo days breakage should be minimal from zero to just a few pieces here or there. Again the issue is moisture. Hot oil treatments work well to help combat these issues.

dontspeakdefeat I relax every 10 weeks. Longer generates excessive tangles and breakage. I rarely use protein but still get breakage. I'll keep force feeding it moisture. Thanks! :grin:

I eould really like to start straightening my hair maybe 1-2x a month, but i don't want to mess my hair up, breakage, hair loss, heat damage and what not.

Is there a heat protectant you recommend for all hair textures? I have a mix of coarse and fine hair through out. I like my hair to have body.

What blowdryer is good but also not too complicated. I am SERIOUSLY blowdryer challenged. I boght a 7 row knock off denman because a woman on yt used it to blow out her hair and made it look easy (but she's a proffessional so i should have known better). Is a comb attachment as good as a brush? Is a boar brush better? By the way if i hadn't already said this, I'm natural. Mostly 3c with 4a/b edges. Im almost wl which is why i never bother straightening it, too much effort. Also I'm concerned with getting my roots straight. when I went to the Dominican media use this technique which was basically the grinding a boar bristle round brush on my head to stretch my roots.

beanie44 You must never use moisturizers that are water based when your hair is flat ironed. Use oils like argan oil, morrocan oil, coconut oil and jojoba. These are great moisturizing oils that absorb into the hair and make it soft and shiny with no reversion.

Thank you dontspeakdefeat for taking the time to answer my question, I learned even more when I read your response to other peoples questions.

Hi!

I just recently watched a Youtuber say that titanium irons are damaging. What are your thoughts on titanium vs. ceramic irons? Which is best for straightening natural hair (keeping it straight, eliminate frizz, produces smooth and shiny hair, minimizes heat damage). I have a Sedu Revolution ceramic iron but have been looking at the iron you suggested (the Babyliss Pro). I just want to make sure I know which kind of flat iron is better for my thick, transitioning hair AND once I am completely natural. Thanks so much!
AgeinATL

Well, the babyliss pro titanium iron is my favorite out of all of my irons. Hmmm, damage. I don't have that issue. People a lot of times blame the appliance for damage and not the technique. I really don't think the iron matters so much as the technique. I love my babyliss and my fhi platform.

The thing about flat ironing is, the people that are doing it are knowledgeable about what works for their hair only. They don't have the experience of doing all types of hair textures, density and lengths, just their own. Having a practiced hand is so important when it comes to flat ironing.
It helps to know what type of products to use, what heat to use, the perfect amount of product and so on. I have acquired so much knowledge over the years and my techniques have even changed slightly as time went on. :yep:

I did a big chop almost 10 years ago. Was natural until I got a Keratin Complex protein treatment in August and October, 2012.

Can I get a full perm now and continue with the protein treatments. I like to treatments cause they make my hair strong.

TIA.

I eould really like to start straightening my hair maybe 1-2x a month, but i don't want to mess my hair up, breakage, hair loss, heat damage and what not.

Is there a heat protectant you recommend for all hair textures? I have a mix of coarse and fine hair through out. I like my hair to have body.

What blowdryer is good but also not too complicated. I am SERIOUSLY blowdryer challenged. I boght a 7 row knock off denman because a woman on yt used it to blow out her hair and made it look easy (but she's a proffessional so i should have known better). Is a comb attachment as good as a brush? Is a boar brush better? By the way if i hadn't already said this, I'm natural. Mostly 3c with 4a/b edges. Im almost wl which is why i never bother straightening it, too much effort. Also I'm concerned with getting my roots straight. when I went to the Dominican media use this technique which was basically the grinding a boar bristle round brush on my head to stretch my roots.
girlonfire

Paul Mitchell Super Skinny is my go to heat protectant. It's good for all hair types IMO.

Good blowdryers, again it's about a practiced hand and technique, Chi, FHI, Andis, and Rusk. Using a good comb attachment like Willie Morrow helps a lot with blowdrying.

I did a big chop almost 10 years ago. Was natural until I got a Keratin Complex protein treatment in August and October, 2012.

Can I get a full perm now and continue with the protein treatments. I like to treatments cause they make my hair strong.

TIA.
mensa
This I am not sure about. If you decide to relax do a strand test and wait 3-4 weeks to see how your hair responds. If your hair does well then it should be safe to relax.

dontspeakdefeat

Hi! :wave:

Sorry if this has already been asked:

I'm seeing flakes. How do i know if this is dry scalp (lack of moisture) versus dandruff (acv treatment for yeast)? that way i can treat it properly.

Great Thread!

Last edited:
@dontspeakdefeat

Thanks so much for your assistance with this thread. I am natural and am considering coloring my hair in the in the next year or so (by a professional).

I have concerns about varying chemicals in permanent hair color (ammonia/ Ammonia Derivatives, formaldehyde/Formaldehyde Derivative, Diamine Toluenes/ PTD’s, Thioglycolates or parabens, & PPDs)

I guess my question would be what hair color lines would be the safer of the bunch by either not having these chemicals at all or having lesser/lower amounts? In an ideal situation I want minimize the health risks of chemical exposure as well as maintain the health & integrity of my hair so I don't have a setback. I would likely just do highlights in the red, copper, or auburn categories:yep:.

Last edited:
What a great thread!! I wanted to ask how I can stop breakage at the root? I'm getting a lot of really long hair without the bulb on the end! I'm natural if that helps :(

I have been trying to find the Willie morrow comb attachment. Do you know where I can order it from? I ordered it once. from Amazon They never sent it .Had to get my money back.

Holla I love Joico Moisture Recovery shampoo and conditioner. It's my favorite set of con and poo. This stuff is amazing and it works for all hair types, I mean all! Co-washing is fantastic. It's really good for hydrating the hair. It can actually be done as often as several times per week if needed. Just be sure to use a light conditioner or dilute a heavier one when doing it. Co-washing does cause build up and your hair will need to be clarified on occassion. My favorite deep conditioner is Joico Moisture Recovery conditioner. Unfortunately I don't travel to do hair. Maybe I will in the future.

I found this conditioner and shampoo in Marshall's right after I saw this post and for an amazing price... So of course I bought them. :) Not having used a sulfate shampoo for the last two years I was skeptical but decided to try it twice a month (and co-wash the other washes) I pre-pooed first (just in case) but my hair didn't feel stripped at all and that conditioner (used as both a regular and deep) made my hair feel like butter!

Thank you so much for the recommendation and this great thread I am soaking in all this knowledge. :)

@dontspeakdefeat

Hi! :wave:

Sorry if this has already been asked:

I'm seeing flakes. How do i know if this is dry scalp (lack of moisture) versus dandruff (acv treatment for yeast)? that way i can treat it properly.

Great Thread!
atlien

Dry (not as common)scalp will appear white and powdery as it a result the sebaceous glands being dehydrated. Cold climates and not drinking enough water can cause dry scalp.

Dandruff (most common) is usually yellowish and oily. If you have a really itchy scalp then more than likely it's dandruff.

Dandruff can be oil related or yeast related. If it is oil related then more frequent shampoos will probably do the trick. If it is yeast related you will probably need a medicated shampoo.

Back