August 2015 What Did You Buy This Week? Hair Care Edition

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
What is this method?

From the "I permed my hair" thread:
Not to hijack the thread but I know the struggle is real....but it's all technique with this texture. Here's what worked for me:

- I stopped using gel (for me, gel/glycerin = dryness and shrinkage)

- And finally, I started sealing my hair with good old fashioned grease again. I use Dax and the waxiness, for my hair, is bomb.

And my hair is super defined and healthy with zero frizz.
From Best Products and Tricks for Wash and Gos thread
You said upthread that you want clumps of curls, like a braid out. My hair is very defined in big clumps (of individual curls) and here is what I do. After co-washing I (usually) rinse all comditioner out. Then I wrap my hair in a t shirt for about 10 mins, then apply my stylers (I use a finger tip full of Devacurl Heaven in Hair and then aome DevaCurl One Condition). I take off the t shirt and spread the Heaven in Hair around my head, along with some good old fashioned hair grease and some one condition.

Now here's the magic part. I flip my head upside down and I SMOOTH my hair with praying hands. Flip had right side up and SMOOTH some more in the direction I want my hair to lay. If I need to I wet my hands to reactivate the product but I smooth till I get those clumps. Then I scrunch my hair into the shape i want (only because my hair is short now, if I wanted more elongated curls I wouldn't scrunch). On succeeding days I let my hair get damp during my shower and smooth with a bit of conditioner to restyle. No gel ever, anymore! My hair lasts a week I tell ya and the curls are super separated and chunky. The deva product makes a difference, but the smoothing is the truth! I got the technique from a blog, Honey brown Sugar which is now sadly defunct :(

P.S. A major reason why my hair is so defined is that since I had my Devacut, I no longer (or super rarely) use combs. By not destroying my definition and then trying to rebuild it, my hair does better!

And lastly, from the Anyone have a simple regimen thread:

Super curly, 3c/4a, mbl to waist stretched, shoulder length with shrinkage.

Cowash and fully detangle with .99 VO5 conditioner about once a week, leaving some in.

Wrap hair in t-shirt for about 5 minutes. Smooth hair with good old fashioned hair grease.

I no longer use any gel.

Put up in high bun.

After hot yoga (2-3x week) rinse with conditioner but don't comb.

Can't get any simpler than that!

NappyKinks

Soultanicals Ultimate VIP Membership. I was on the fence about this but the Christmas in July Code applied to it and it was the first time that I got a discount code to work for the membership so I went for it. $49.95 - $17.48 (35% off) = $32.47 (what I paid)

$32.47 - $10 (store credit) = $22.47

$22.47 - $16 (regular price of "free" full size sign up gift) = $6.47

Not to mention birthday gift + welcome packet + 20% off everything for a year (which can be combined with other promotions like Black Friday's 40% off) + free shipping for a year on all orders + free new and limited edition products to test out (every pj's dream come true).

Now let the countdown to Black Friday commence.:boredwrk: