Ayurveda Support Thread

MzJai

Miz Jai I'd wait until you got your weave out. You wanna make sure everything comes out and that it's conditioned well. If it's possible that you can be sure of it, well...but I'd wait until after and to see the condition of you real hair/scalp. JMHO.

If you do it, make sure it's well filterd and that you can get a good DC to your hair underneath. The potential dryness to both hairs concerns me here.

OMG good point!
So lemme ask...If i cant continue my Ayurvedic reggie than what can i do to condition? can i dilute some conditioner in a botle and squirt between the tracks? ( i have a net on my hair). The net would probably make it difficult to get the conditioner to my scalp.

I can:Every 2 weeks

1. Wash with diluted Vatika Shampoo
2. Dilute conditioner and squirt on scalp (massage in as best as i can)
3. Rinse well and condition again
4. Apply brahmi oil ot Vatika Oil to my scalp

Pls tell me this will work because i have no clue how to keep up with my healthy hair practices while prtective stylin with a weave

jamaraa

^^ I didn't know Vatika made a shampoo. Ok, I know nothing about weaves cuz I've never had one...so is yours sewn in? Can you touch your hair and scalp underneath? If you can, maybe you can pull it off. You wanna make perfectly sure that your hair is not getting brittle. Teas would have to be like 2x strained before I'd risk it. The approach you give sounds like how dred heads do their reggie. This just might work.

IF you can fully reach the scalp, I'd try it. I don't want you to give up your veda cuz it's good for the scalp and you need scalp support w/ a weave in.

Since I don't know weaves, does this even make sense to you? I'm kinda stumped! :grin: This is a brain teaser for me.

MzJai

Yes Jamaraa...Dabur Makes a Creamy Vatika Shampoo. i got my sample from the "Hate it dump your products on me" thread

The net is attached to my hair, and the tracks are attached to the net...so touching my scalp is pretty difficuly. That is why i suggested the diluted products that I can put in a squeeze bottle.

LMAO at pull it off! but if i squeeze the conditioner between the tracks that might work

I can strain my teas multiple times...I just dont want to give up my Reggie! (sad face).

Anyone who had a similar experience know what to do?

jamaraa

I'm glad I asked you about the poo...creamy is iffy for now, even diluted. Got something more runny?

So it's like a wig somehow attached to your head? What holds it on? I'm worried about the condish then cuz you do not want wax build up happening. That equals dreds/matting cuz your hair will be undistrubed.

OK...tell us how your beautiician or whoever put in your weave told you to care for it. Maybe we can work from there.

MzJai

she uses thread to sew the tracks onto the net/hair.

I was told to wash it every 2 weeks to keep it fresh and make sure to oil my scalp to prevent itching and dryness. She really didn't mention anything about conditioning it but i saw SO MANY threads where ppl were conditioning their hair under their weaves...EVEN DC it!

jamaraa

Can you call her and ask about conditioning? I find it VERY odd that she didn't mention anything about conditioning it. After all, your hair's still needing moisture.

If we can figure nothing else out, try your 4 step plan and see what happens. I'm thinking it should be OK since she told you to oil your scalp. At least you can have access to it. (Geez girlie, you should have come to us BEFORE you got the weave! :giggle:)

How 'bout starting a thread addressed to weave wearers on how to DC and we can adapt to veda.

Aggie

@ MzJai,

This is the very reason why I don't wear weaves anymore. Ever since I started taking care of my own hair, having weaves made it extremely difficult to wash and DC my hair under the weave. I had to heavily dilute the poo and conditioner and pour it through the tracks onto my hair between them and wash out standing under the shower.

I would recommend a conditioner that does not have waxes, something natural or organic and something without cones. That way, if some of it is left in your hair, it's okay because it won't cause damage to your hair.

I would go with the Aubrey Organics Vegan line of products, especially the AO Honeysuckle Rose and the AO White Camellia Conditioners. As for a shampoo, try Avalon Organics Biotin with B-Complex Thickening Shampoo and the complimenting conditioner as well.

My leave-in was heavily diluted as well and the one I use is Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner (this is a deep conditioner and a leave-in conditioner. If you want to use ayurveda tea rinses, you would have to really strain them properly to avoid the powders being stuck in your hair. You can use them, just wash them out properly.

Last edited:

jamaraa

Thanks Aggie that sounds very good. I actually was going to suggest a VERY diluted Dr. Bronner's as shampoo (maybe Aloe (gentle) or Tea tree (for dandruff/itichies)) Dred heads use this and do a very diluted AVC 'rinse" to make sure the soap is out. Even here I'm worried about dryness.

Could you (Mz. Jai jump in too) explain to me how her hair is attached? It sounds like she has tracks that are sewing to a net and this is somehow attached to her head? Are they braids that it's sewn to? It sounds like a combo of a wig and a sewn in weave. I thought w/ sew ins, it's just simply tracks sewn to cornrows w/ plenty of scalp access?

What about proteins? Shpuld she avoid proteins under a weave? Aubrey is a "line" conditioner series, but is GPB off limits? Of all their conditioners, I like GPB and Rosehips and Marquetta best. Maybe she can mix the vedic oils w/ these condishs and get a twofer?

I gotta say, this is the 1st hair problem I'm completely stumped by. I'm clueless. :giggle: I know herbs, but in this case not how to apply them. "scratches head")

Last edited:

MzJai

@ Aggie...Thanks! I mentioned earlier in the thread that I would dilute my shampoo (either the Vatika Shampoo or my Dr. Bronners Peppermint) and apply to my hair. My concern was with conditioners but you answered that for me!:grin:

@Jamaraa...My hair is braided underneath....then she puts a net over the braids and then attacheds the hair to the net mostly rather than just to my hair. It prevents all of the stress being on your hair when sewing in the weave. I hope that helps you to understand. But a picture is worth a thousand words so i've attached one for you.

Attachments

• Hair 001.jpg
    Hair 001.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Hair 002.jpg
    Hair 002.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Hair 003.jpg
    Hair 003.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Hair 004.jpg
    Hair 004.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 12

Aggie

Thanks Aggie that sounds very good. I actually was going to suggest a VERY diluted Dr. Bronner's as shampoo (maybe Aloe (gentle) or Tea tree (for dandruff/itichies)) Dred heads use this and do a very diluted AVC 'rinse" to make sure the soap is out. Even here I'm worried about dryness.

Could you (Mz. Jai jump in too) explain to me how her hair is attached? It sounds like she has tracks that are sewing to a net and this is somehow attached to her head? Are they braids that it's sewn to? It sounds like a combo of a wig and a sewn in weave. I thought w/ sew ins, it's just simply tracks sewn to cornrows w/ plenty of scalp access?

What about proteins? Shpuld she avoid proteins under a weave? Aubrey is a "line" conditioner series, but is GPB off limits? Of all their conditioners, I like GPB and Rosehips and Marquetta best. Maybe she can mix the vedic oils w/ these condishs and get a twofer?

I gotta say, this is the 1st hair problem I'm completely stumped by. I'm clueless. :giggle: I know herbs, but in this case not how to apply them. "scratches head")

@ Aggie...Thanks! I mentioned earlier in the thread that I would dilute my shampoo (either the Vatika Shampoo or my Dr. Bronners Peppermint) and apply to my hair. My concern was with conditioners but you answered that for me!:grin:

@Jamaraa...My hair is braided underneath....then she puts a net over the braids and then attacheds the hair to the net mostly rather than just to my hair. It prevents all of the stress being on your hair when sewing in the weave. I hope that helps you to understand. But a picture is worth a thousand words so i've attached one for you.

You're both welcomed.

jamaraa

MzJai now that I see it, you probably can use your squirt bottle method OK. You def need to thin out the condishs and make very strained teas, but I think you'll be ok. I guess you'll have to squirt your oils too?

MzJai

Yes...I've been using squirt bottles for my oil so far.....I'm so happy that i can still use my teas!....Ill triple strain them and rinse rinse rinse! :grin::grin::grin:

Aggie

MzJai now that I see it, you probably can use your squirt bottle method OK. You def need to thin out the condishs and make very strained teas, but I think you'll be ok. I guess you'll have to squirt your oils too?

Good idea about the oil in the squirt bottle jamaraa. I usually use the color applicator bottle and I assume this is what you are referring to:look:.

jamaraa

^^^ :yep: any application bottle of some sort w/ a fine tip so you can direct it precisely where you want it to go. :) IOW, you got it!

Garner

Ladies,
Are the ayurvedic powders mixed with water and placed in hair for 30 minutes just as effective as ayurvedic tea rinses? Do you apply the powders or tea rinses prior to shampooing or afterwards?

Aggie

Ladies,
Are the ayurvedic powders mixed with water and placed in hair for 30 minutes just as effective as ayurvedic tea rinses? Do you apply the powders or tea rinses prior to shampooing or afterwards?
I like both pastes and tea rinses. You can leave both of them in for 30 minutes if you like. The only thing is when I leave the tea rinse it, it drips all over the place and the paste stays put.

I do not shampoo when I use ayurveda pastes and tea rinses because they are already cleansing. I do however, use a deep conditioner afterwards - I don't have to, but I do because I like to.

I prepoo with oil, apply my ayurveda paste or tea rinse, deep condition, apply leave-in and voila, that's it!

Garner

Thanks Aggie,
Another Question...Can I alternate the weeks that I henna? ie. henna every other week and on alternate weeks use amla, maka, and brahmi?

Aggie

Thanks Aggie,
Another Question...Can I alternate the weeks that I henna? ie. henna every other week and on alternate weeks use amla, maka, and brahmi?

:yep:, that's pretty much what I do now myself when I am not any type of extension hair style.

jamaraa

Thanks Aggie,

Why not add a small amount to your henna mix? That's what I do and it works gr8! :grin:

jamaraa

Ladies,

Tho I do neither teas nor masks, I think both methods are quite effective, but I couldn't tell you which was more so. Put on a shower cap etc when you do the teas, that'll help w/ the drippage. LOL

Aggie

Why not add a small amount to your henna mix? That's what I do and it works gr8! :grin:

I add these powders to my henna mix but I also do a separate conditioning with the powders the week/s following my henna treatment like I did this morning. I henna'ed my hair last week and will do another henna treatment in a week or 2. I think Garner may be asking if she can still condition with the ayurveda herbs in between henna treatments:look:.

MzJai

Just a quick question about Henna.

I've tried most of the indian powders as a paste and tea and I love them ( i'm fully natural) however when i tried henna i liked it because it made my hair feel very strong, but i think it's loosening my curl pattern enough to make my hair not as bulky as it was and i've only done it once!

Is henna ok for fine haired naturals? will my hiar get really straight if i continue to use it?:perplexed maybe once a month?

BTW I LOVE MY NATURAL CURLS!:grin:

Aggie

I'll be doing my ayurveda tea rinse of kalpi tone, shikakai, and brahmi powders mixed in a tea of rosemary, thyme and green tea leaves that I will be pouring over my hair as soon as it cools down enough.

I'm gonna DC with some Avalon Organics Biotin B-Complex Thickening Conditioner and maybe use some EMB as a leave-in conditioner today.

I have some of the herbal tea left over that I put in the fridge to cool and use as a final rinse to close my cuticles. I may add some ACV to it as well.

Aggie

Just a quick question about Henna.

I've tried most of the indian powders as a paste and tea and I love them ( i'm fully natural) however when i tried henna i liked it because it made my hair feel very strong, but i think it's loosening my curl pattern enough to make my hair not as bulky as it was and i've only done it once!

Is henna ok for fine haired naturals? will my hiar get really straight if i continue to use it?:perplexed maybe once a month?

BTW I LOVE MY NATURAL CURLS!:grin:

Your natural curls will straighten a little bit I'm afraid. I have over 9 months of new growth hairs and the curls are a little looser than normal. I have fine hair like you do. You could try using the henna every 6-8 weeks if you don't like the loose look. I don't have a problem with it so I henna every 2-4 weeks.

MzJai

Your natural curls will straighten a little bit I'm afraid. I have over 9 months of new growth hairs and the curls are a little looser than normal. I have fine hair like you do. You could try using the henna every 6-8 weeks if you don't like the loose look. I don't have a problem with it so I henna every 2-4 weeks.

Thanks! You're like a walking Veda guide!

jamaraa

MzJai a gradual and slight (depending on beginning textures) relaxing of the curl pattern is a characteristic of henna. Even if you space out usage, this is unaviodable. After all, henna "adds" to itself and each application adds more to your hair, so it's inevitable that some relaxing will occur. If you don't want this, I'd suggest find another alternative.

Aggie

MzJai a gradual and slight (depending on beginning textures) relaxing of the curl pattern is a characteristic of henna. Even if you space out usage, this is unaviodable. After all, henna "adds" to itself and each application adds more to your hair, so it's inevitable that some relaxing will occur. If you don't want this, I'd suggest find another alternative.

Hmmm, the bolded did not happen to me jamaraa. I usually go a couple of months without applying henna (when I install extension braids) and when I remove them, my entire head of new growth and previously henna'ed hair are hard to detangle and very tight.

I am currently 9 months post and I feel that if I stop applying the henna, the previously henna'ed hair will revert back to normal similar to the way that natural-laxer relaxer works.

This is the very reason why I keep applying the henna over my entire head of hair and not just my new growth hairs every time I use henna, and that is to keep my curls loose. I don't want or like them too tight because it makes detangling very difficult for me and henna treatments allow me to comb my hair easily.

Perhaps MzJai can simply apply henna to the new growth hair only to avoid building up on the loosening of her natural curl pattern all over her head. If henna did continue to loosen the curl pattern, then Mscocoface should have had extremely loose curls and her curls were still quite tight while using henna. IDK, I guess most heads of hair really are different.

On the one hand, MzJai's hair is fine and Mscocoface's hair is thick and coarse. My hair is fine but still gives me trouble when it comes to detangling if I wait to long to reapply henna:ohwell:.