Ayurveda Support Thread

Aggie

darn it!! aaaahhh well. Now we know better. For sure longer hair treatments with henna then. I suppose that gives it better time to give deeper color deposit.

So the little tid bit that got you better color results was putting it onto damp hair? I realize for sure it goes on much easier, but you also felt it gave better color results? SO damp both times, for henna and then for indigo right? Every little tid bit helps!

Yes I agree. If we really want great color deposit, longer is definitely better:yep:. This is especially important to me when it comes to my indigo applications.

Khadija.D.Carryl

You're absolutely right, it makes complete sense. and your hair is REALLY black. A true, rich black.

So a whole tbsp to your indigo. About how much indigo would that be?

flowinlocks

:kiss: For you Aggie!! See this is why I love LHCF! The cornstarch idea is brilliant!! That's one of the reasons I got lazy and stopped doing the treatments, the mess. :nono: Anyway I'm going to combine all the tips I just got and add them to my method. I'll do JN's tip on damp hair, and both of Aggie's tips Cornstarch, and rinsing with cool water.:yep: I'll still do the Henndigo first followed by the Indigo. With these tips my hair should turn out.:gorgeous:

Khadija.D.Carryl

the cornstarch is an awesome idea. It sure beats trying to find CMC. that stuff used to work really great to make the indigo thick but a pain in the rear to find. I should really be in bed....still got a really rough dry cough. But had to put a few things up and put up a blog post. Read it, if any of you have a bit of time :)

Aggie

You're absolutely right, it makes complete sense. and your hair is REALLY black. A true, rich black.

So a whole tbsp to your indigo. About how much indigo would that be?

I used 175 grams for my last treatment. I think I will try to stick with 100-125 grams from now on and scale the salt down to a teaspoon instead of a tablespoon. I have resistent new growth grays:nono: and the salt helps as well. Remember the Tbsp is not a heaping one, just a level one, hmmm I guess a teaspoon should be okay afterall:rolleyes:.

Last edited:

Aggie

:kiss: For you Aggie!! See this is why I love LHCF! The cornstarch idea is brilliant!! That's one of the reasons I got lazy and stopped doing the treatments, the mess. :nono: Anyway I'm going to combine all the tips I just got and add them to my method. I'll do JN's tip on damp hair, and both of Aggie's tips Cornstarch, and rinsing with cool water.:yep: I'll still do the Henndigo first followed by the Indigo. With these tips my hair should turn out.:gorgeous:

the cornstarch is an awesome idea. It sure beats trying to find CMC. that stuff used to work really great to make the indigo thick but a pain in the rear to find. I should really be in bed....still got a really rough dry cough. But had to put a few things up and put up a blog post. Read it, if any of you have a bit of time :)

Thanks ladies. Cornstarch is sooo easy to find and it works really well. Khadija, like you, I should also be in bed and I hope you feel better soon honey.

flowinlocks

I hope you feel better soon.

Aggie

Goodnight ladies, it's my bedtime. As always, it's been a pleasure posting in here and getting feedback.

Khadija.D.Carryl

I'm going to add that information on cornstarch on the blog as well.

I am hoping the cough goes away soon, thanks for the get well wishes!

1 tsp per 100 grams of indigo should be good (of salt). Those resistent grays usually need that salt. I have heard my share of resistent stories. It's not fun battling them.

Lucia

they blended the herbs with coconut oil and goats milk. Anyone know about goats mil for hair, I heard it's good for the skin.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VS88DW/ref=pd_luc_sbs_02_02

Biotique Bhringraj Therapeutic Oil for Hair Growth 120 ml

Description/Ingredients:
An ancient formula containing Bhringraj, Butea Frondosa, Amla and Centella blended in Coconut Oil and the richness of Goat Milk, Biotique's Bhringraj Oil for hair growth penetrates hair shafts and nourishes the scalp. Completely natural and free from paraben and toxic chemicals, this oil will replenish hair follicles that have been damaged from harsh detergents found in most shampoos that lead to hair loss. Hair growth is encouraged as the scalp and hair root regain health and nourishment.

kasey

This week I started using a tea brewed with Aritha powder as a shampoo and I think I like it better than the shikakai/amla/neem mix. Maybe because it's so sudsy.

flowinlocks

they blended the herbs with coconut oil and goats milk. Anyone know about goats mil for hair, I heard it's good for the skin.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VS88DW/ref=pd_luc_sbs_02_02

Biotique Bhringraj Therapeutic Oil for Hair Growth 120 ml

Description/Ingredients:
An ancient formula containing Bhringraj, Butea Frondosa, Amla and Centella blended in Coconut Oil and the richness of Goat Milk, Biotique's Bhringraj Oil for hair growth penetrates hair shafts and nourishes the scalp. Completely natural and free from paraben and toxic chemicals, this oil will replenish hair follicles that have been damaged from harsh detergents found in most shampoos that lead to hair loss. Hair growth is encouraged as the scalp and hair root regain health and nourishment.

I have seen this before, it sounds yummy. Be sure to give a review if you try it.

Khadija.D.Carryl

This week I started using a tea brewed with Aritha powder as a shampoo and I think I like it better than the shikakai/amla/neem mix. Maybe because it's so sudsy.

Yes it is more sudsy because aritha is known as soapnuts. It is the best hair cleanser over all the herbs. It can be used whole too by soaking it, or by boiling it and getting the liquid and make that into a liquid-watery soap or by shaking bits of it and used as a foam wash :)

Khadija.D.Carryl

you could always just try out a sample of them, and see for yourself. Just do a small patch test on your skin, or bit of hair at the back of your neck if you wanted to be sure if you are or aren't sensitive or allergic to them.

sleek

Newbie here well actually ex-lurker, I started my ayurvedic reggie last saturday and Im in love I did Alma,Shakakai and Aritha oil rinse and after many days of reading this thread getting my list together to buy some products today I lose my list!!!!!! I was so hurt I remembered the Brahmi,Maka and Kalpi but nothing else on my list well it didn't matter all they had was Brahmi and a few others that I was not interested in as yet so my day turned out to be a dud. Now is it Brahmi, Maka and Alma for growth? and does anyone in brooklyn know of any Indian stores besides Patels on 53rd st and the one one Coney Island and H?

*Muffin*

Ladies, I need your advice. I want to reduce the time needed to cleanse my hair and do ayurvedic treatments. I was thinking about simultaneously cleansing and treating by making a paste using a combination of aritha powder and other, more moisturizing ayurvedic powders, like Brahmi and amla, for example. My question is: How much of each powder should I use and how long should I leave it on for? I was thinking about letting it sit on my head for an hour before co-washing it out.

flowinlocks

Ladies, I need your advice. I want to reduce the time needed to cleanse my hair and do ayurvedic treatments. I was thinking about simultaneously cleansing and treating by making a paste using a combination of aritha powder and other, more moisturizing ayurvedic powders, like Brahmi and amla, for example. My question is: How much of each powder should I use and how long should I leave it on for? I was thinking about letting it sit on my head for an hour before co-washing it out.

When I first started out that's what I would do, mix the cleansing powders with the conditioning ones. It worked fine. Just make sure you use double the amount of the cond. herbs vs the cleansing. Also I wouldn't Aritha on my hair for an hour, even if it is mixed with other herbs. I don't even let the Shikakai sit longer than 10-15 mins. I usually use one spoon of Shikakai to 2 spoons of the others. I know what you mean about saving time. That's why I love my poo bars for lazy days.

flowinlocks

I just noticed you said paste. I definitely wouldn't leave Aritha on that long. i thought you were talking about tea.

*Muffin*

When I first started out that's what I would do, mix the cleansing powders with the conditioning ones. It worked fine. Just make sure you use double the amount of the cond. herbs vs the cleansing. Also I wouldn't Aritha on my hair for an hour, even if it is mixed with other herbs. I don't even let the Shikakai sit longer than 10-15 mins. I usually use one spoon of Shikakai to 2 spoons of the others. I know what you mean about saving time. That's why I love my poo bars for lazy days.

I just noticed you said paste. I definitely wouldn't leave Aritha on that long. i thought you were talking about tea.

Thanks for the suggestions, flowinlocks. My friend told me the exact same thing. I guess she was right, lol. I like to leave my pastes on for a while, so I guess I'll omit adding the aritha powder and use it afterward. Thanks a bunch :).

P.S. Do you have that ayurvedic poo bar from Chagrin Valley, or do you use another kind of poo bar?

flowinlocks

Thanks for the suggestions, flowinlocks. My friend told me the exact same thing. I guess she was right, lol. I like to leave my pastes on for a while, so I guess I'll omit adding the aritha powder and use it afterward. Thanks a bunch :).

P.S. Do you have that ayurvedic poo bar from Chagrin Valley, or do you use another kind of poo bar?

Yes I have that one but I'm not that thrilled with it. I have the Swastik Shikakai bar, and Godrej 3 in 1 . I love both of these bars. I use them on preoiled hair then follow up with a dc. You can get purchase them here.

*Muffin*

Yes I have that one but I'm not that thrilled with it. I have the Swastik Shikakai bar, and Godrej 3 in 1 . I love both of these bars. I use them on preoiled hair then follow up with a dc. You can get purchase them here.

Thanks for suggesting this site. I favorited it. I saw they had indigo powder on their for pretty cheap :yep:. Hopefully the S&H is reasonable :grin:.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I did my first ayurveda treatment with brahmi and shikakai powder. I pre-pooed with vatika coconut oil first. The next time I do this, I will put the powders in conditioner. When it was time to wash out the powder, it was more easy than I thought. I did a deep condition with Viologie moisture balance conditioner. I did not expect the curl definition I saw afterwards.:blush: I can't wait until I have more new growth. I can almost do a wash n go and that shocked me.:clap:

flowinlocks

I did my first ayurveda treatment with brahmi and shikakai powder. I pre-pooed with vatika coconut oil first. The next time I do this, I will put the powders in conditioner. When it was time to wash out the powder, it was more easy than I thought. I did a deep condition with Viologie moisture balance conditioner. I did not expect the curl definition I saw afterwards.:blush: I can't wait until I have more new growth. I can almost do a wash n go and that shocked me.:clap:

I'm glad to hear you had a good first experience.

twists

Phew...finished all of those pages...sooo much useful information, Thank you to all of the ladies who supplied info on these powders :grin:

Now to my questions lol...
I'm buying some powders this weekend and I would like to make a paste...when I mix the powders and add the boiling water do I have to add cold water to cool it? or can I just allow it to cool on its own?

Also, I remember seeing something about a sifter in these threads but I read through all these pages in two days so everything's blurred a little lol...but anyway, can I just use a reg flour sifter to sift the powders? That won't do anything to its potency will it?

Do I have to deep condition after every use? I plan on doing using the powders at least twice a week but I only would like to DC once a week. I would just like to cowash with these so after I use the powders, say on Wed. i'll use Kalpi tone and amla OR Brahmi, I would do a conditioner wash afterwards a couple of times and that's it. And on Sun, I'll do my deep condition so i'll maybe add like 1/2 tsp of Shikakai powder to my mix.

Once a month, i'll be doing a clarifying wash, so would it be okay to use the powders then too? Like after the clarifying wash I would maybe mix 1/2 tsp of shikakai to 1 tbsp of amla and 1 tbsp of brahmi OR maka and then deep condition. Would that be okay or should I not use any powders when I clarify?

Um, that's all I can think of right now...I apologize if I confused any of you with the questions but i'll be happy to clarify if there are any confusions. Thank you so much for all your help guys, you're angels.

fattyfatfat

I used these powders yesterday: skikakai, amla, neem, heena, methi, brahmi, lemon, tulsi and fo-ti root. I added them to my deep conditioner. I left it on for an hour then rinsed it out. I cant wait to see some progress from using them.

flowinlocks

Phew...finished all of those pages...sooo much useful information, Thank you to all of the ladies who supplied info on these powders :grin:

Now to my questions lol...
I'm buying some powders this weekend and I would like to make a paste...when I mix the powders and add the boiling water do I have to add cold water to cool it? or can I just allow it to cool on its own?

You can do either one. It cools down pretty fast, Or you could mix in some cond. for eaiser rinsing. That will also help to cool it.

Also, I remember seeing something about a sifter in these threads but I read through all these pages in two days so everything's blurred a little lol...but anyway, can I just use a reg flour sifter to sift the powders? That won't do anything to its potency will it?

No, sifting won't change the potency of the powders.

Do I have to deep condition after every use? I plan on doing using the powders at least twice a week but I only would like to DC once a week. I would just like to cowash with these so after I use the powders, say on Wed. i'll use Kalpi tone and amla OR Brahmi, I would do a conditioner wash afterwards a couple of times and that's it. And on Sun, I'll do my deep condition so i'll maybe add like 1/2 tsp of Shikakai powder to my mix.

That's fine, just make sure you get all the paste out of your hair. Also be sure to preoil and donot manipulate the hair while the paste is in. I'm not sure how long you leave on your dc, but I wouldn't suggest leaving the Shikakai in for a long period of time. Even though you are using a a small amout it's still a cleansing powder and your hair will most def. be stronger, it won't be as moisturized as it would normally be without the Shikakai mixed in. I personally prefer to dc after using Shikakai.

Once a month, i'll be doing a clarifying wash, so would it be okay to use the powders then too? Like after the clarifying wash I would maybe mix 1/2 tsp of shikakai to 1 tbsp of amla and 1 tbsp of brahmi OR maka and then deep condition. Would that be okay or should I not use any powders when I clarify?

There is no need to clarify when using Shikakai. The powder is VERY POTENT, it's cleansing and even has the ability to strip the hair of excess oil and gunk. For this reason it also can be very drying if not used properly.
I would suggest using Shikakai to clarify mixed with Amla then follow up with a dc, or clarify as you normally would once a month and leave the Shikakai out of your mix before you dc, or dc with the Bhringraj/Maka, Brahmi mixed in.

Um, that's all I can think of right now...I apologize if I confused any of you with the questions but i'll be happy to clarify if there are any confusions. Thank you so much for all your help guys, you're angels.

Answers in red.