AYURVEDIC POWDER ADVICE + Excerpt from: Cherie Ayurveda Vol: 1

PassionFruit

Has anyone used Reetha (paste or soup from soap nuts) along with the powders? If so, how? Benefits?

I use Aritha ( same as Reetha) as a tea rinse... didnt add anything to it.. its just a cleanser... I used it while I had braids... rinsed out nicely and my hair didnt feel yucky when I took out the braids

FindingMe

I use Aritha ( same as Reetha) as a tea rinse... didnt add anything to it.. its just a cleanser... I used it while I had braids... rinsed out nicely and my hair didnt feel yucky when I took out the braids

OHHHHH, I didn't know it was the same thing. :perplexed

So If I am using Shikaki+amla (and maybe sometimes adding brahmi), it sounds like I don't need the aritha. CandyC says is mostly for oily buildup and clarifying, so it would be a bit drying for my purposes...thanks!

Aggie

OHHHHH, I didn't know it was the same thing. :perplexed

So If I am using Shikaki+amla (and maybe sometimes adding brahmi), it sounds like I don't need the aritha. CandyC says is mostly for oily buildup and clarifying, so it would be a bit drying for my purposes...thanks!

FindingMe your hair looks really healthy in your siggy. I use this same combination myself but I also add bhringraj powder to my tea rinse and it really has a very softening affect on my hair while at the same time makes it really strong. I put together 1 part shikakai, 2 parts amla, 1 part brahmi and 2 parts bhringraj powders, mix with hot distilled water and allow to get warm enough to add to my hair. I leave the rinse in my hair covered with a plastic cap for 30 minutes, then conditioner wash out, then DC for 1 hour. My hair seem to love bhringraj a lot.

FindingMe

FindingMe your hair looks really healthy in your siggy. I use this same combination myself but I also add bhringraj powder to my tea rinse and it really has a very softening affect on my hair while at the same time makes it really strong. I put together 1 part shikakai, 2 parts amla, 1 part brahmi and 2 parts bhringraj powders, mix with hot distilled water and allow to get warm enough to add to my hair. I leave the rinse in my hair covered with a plastic cap for 30 minutes, then conditioner wash out, then DC for 1 hour. My hair seem to love bhringraj a lot.

Your hair is lovely! I visited your FOTKI. I would love to try the bhringraj as it's supposed to be good for moisture, but I ordered my powders online and the e-store didn't sell them. Maybe I will try a local Indian store to see if they have it. Do you order yours online or go to the Indian store?

When do you shampoo and what do you use? I also notice from your FOTKI that you use MN. Are you still using that and how is it working with your ayurvedic methods/rinses?

Last edited:

Aggie

Your hair is lovely! I visited your FOTKI. I would love to try the bhringraj as it's supposed to be good for moisture, but I ordered my powders online and the e-store didn't sell them. Maybe I will try a local Indian store to see if they have it. Do you order yours online or go to the Indian store?

When do you shampoo and what do you use? I also notice from your FOTKI that you use MN. Are you still using that and how is it working with your ayurvedic methods/rinses?

I order my henna, hibiscus petal powder and my bhringraj powder from www.fromnaturewithlove.com, but I order the amla, brahmi and bhringraj oils from www.garrysun.com because they don't have any mineral oil in them. I apply my powders every other week and poo regularly every other week with a sulfate free poo like CON green and red label but I use other poos as well. I also clarify my hair once per month.

The MN has no ill effect on my hair or scalp in conjunction with my ayurveda powders. Now becasue my hair is braided down, it's easy to use the MN between my braids and I use the 4 powders (brahmi, bhringraj, amla, and shikakai) in a tea rinse and spray it on my roots and hair surrounding my braids. I added some essential oils to the tea and so I get a little stimulation on my scalp.

FindingMe

I order my henna, hibiscus petal powder and my bhringraj powder from www.fromnaturewithlove.com, but I order the amla, brahmi and bhringraj oils from www.garrysun.com because they don't have any mineral oil in them. I apply my powders every other week and poo regularly every other week with a sulfate free poo like CON green and red label but I use other poos as well. I also clarify my hair once per month.

The MN has no ill effect on my hair or scalp in conjunction with my ayurveda powders. Now becasue my hair is braided down, it's easy to use the MN between my braids and I use the 4 powders (brahmi, bhringraj, amla, and shikakai) in a tea rinse and spray it on my roots and hair surrounding my braids. I added some essential oils to the tea and so I get a little stimulation on my scalp.

Cool, thanks! Good info-

The Sweetest B

Ok I just read all 18 pages of this thread and I am hooked! Candy_c your info is amazing and so helpful but my question is this, I have a very dry scalp, seborrheic dermatitis to be exact, so when I wash my hair (usually once a week) I try to really get the scalp clean and the only way I have found to do this is my several washes using t-tree oil in my shampoo or t-tree oil based shampoos/natural shampoos (usuallly doing 3 or 4 washes). How can I get my scalp clean and free of all the flakes and debris that is ALWAYS on my scalp by just pouring some powders over my scalp/hair (as Ayurveda suggests)and not actually using the pads of my fingers to give my scalp a vigourous scrubbing? As it is even with my 3 or 4 washes, after my hair is dry it still sometimes flakes and I find dry patches throughout...please advise.

TIA!!
I too would be very interested in what anyone have to say about this as I pretty much have the same problem and was wondering about the build up on my scalp. I know that I have to keep my scalp clean or I have major flare up of seboric dermatitis. Just can seem to get rid of it.

Aggie

Hi Cocoagirl and Sweetest B,

I don't have this problem you mentioned but my question is, are you deep conditioning after washing out the powders with a really good deep water-based moisturizing conditioner? Secondly, a lot of the ladies in the MN challenges has this very same problem you described and have used it to clear up their seboric dermatitis condtitions.

They use it mixed with a little oil like extra virgin coconut oil, black castor oil, powdered some sulfur powder, a few frops of essential oils, and some kind of moisturizer, mix well and apply to scalp every other day or so. Check out the MN threads before you do this though just to make sure this is something you'd want to do. I do know that since I started using MN, I no longer have dandruff problems.

The Sweetest B

I don't have this problem you mentioned but my question is, are you deep conditioning after washing out the powders with a really good deep water-based moisturizing conditioner? Secondly, a lot of the ladies in the MN challenges has this very same problem you described and have used it to clear up their seboric dermatitis condtitions.

They use it mixed with a little oil like extra virgin coconut oil, black castor oil, powdered some sulfur powder, a few frops of essential oils, and some kind of moisturizer, mix well and apply to scalp every other day or so. Check out the MN threads before you do this though just to make sure this is something you'd want to do. I do know that since I started using MN, I no longer have dandruff problems.
Thanks for your response. I have not used the powders yet because of this concern. However, I did purchase the MN becasue I had read some where that seboric dermatitis is a form of yeast (candida) so I thought perhaps I should try it. Well so far is seems that it will definately do the trick. I am a little amazed this morning. I got the FD MN on Thursday and I just placed a little on one side kinda testing. On Friday I did it again and also placed some on the other side. Today(saturday) when i wake up I was checking things out in the mirror and the left side is clear and the right side don't flake as much. Now you have just confirmed for me that I was not imagining as other ladies say this have worked for them I am excited. So I guess I will be doing Ayurvedic and MN. Off to get my ayurvedic stash. woohooo

Aggie

Thanks for your response. I have not used the powders yet because of this concern. However, I did purchase the MN becasue I had read some where that seboric dermatitis is a form of yeast (candida) so I thought perhaps I should try it. Well so far is seems that it will definately do the trick. I am a little amazed this morning. I got the FD MN on Thursday and I just placed a little on one side kinda testing. On Friday I did it again and also placed some on the other side. Today(saturday) when i wake up I was checking things out in the mirror and the left side is clear and the right side don't flake as much. Now you have just confirmed for me that I was not imagining as other ladies say this have worked for them I am excited. So I guess I will be doing Ayurvedic and MN. Off to get my ayurvedic stash. woohooo

You're welcomed and I wish as much success as most of us who have tried MN. I also use henna, and ayurveda powders and oils with my MN with a lot of success. You were very smart by doing a test with the MN first to see if you like it by the way.

cocoagirl

Just rechecking this thread from my last post, last month. Thanks for the advice. Yes I do follow with a deep condish treatment (either Keracare-which as of late has been doing nothing, AO condish or ORS Pak (love). I also use MN mixed with olive oil and cayenne pepper. So far so good as I have started doing mid week condish wash's followed by my ayurvedic routine once a week or 2 weeks. So far so good, I have found that my scalp is less dry due to the increased frequency of washing..but my scalp still itched a lot. Anywho, overall so far so good!

Platinum

I was looking for this thread. I bought some oils and powders from an Indian store in N. Attleboro, Massachusetts the other day.

Last edited:

Ericka

Candy C, is it safe to mix the powders with a cheap conditioner instead of water? Just wondering if the hair will get the same benefits?

HairBarbie

I'm kind of new to this and have being reading and reading. So far here's what I've came up with, can the expert tell me if it sounds good?

1. 5 days a week I will massage with Vatika or mabhringheraj oils.

2. Then once a week instead of using regular shampoos I will use a mix of 2 teaspon Alma powder and 1 teaspoon Shakika powder

3. Then on Wednesdays I'll prepoo with Maka powder and rinse out with a conditioner and follow with a deep conditioner.

4. On Fridays I'll prepoo with Brhami powder and risne out with a conditioner and follow with deep conditioner.

Then the rest of the days of the week, I'll co-wash with my regular co-washing conditioners.

Am I doing too much. I'm trying to simplify it as much as possible. Thank you so much ladies.

QT

I have been reading and reading however, I just came across this tread today. On Saturday I made my mix of AYURVEDIC Powders and believe I made it a little too potent. I mixed Shikakai, alma, bhringraj, aritha AND neem all together into a air tight container. I was wondering if I mixed too much of everything. When I applied it made my hair hard. But once I cowashed my hair it went back to normal.

MrsGrant

I have been reading and reading however, I just came across this tread today. On Saturday I made my mix of AYURVEDIC Powders and believe I made it a little too potent. I mixed Shikakai, alma, bhringraj, aritha AND neem all together into a air tight container. I was wondering if I mixed too much of everything. When I applied it made my hair hard. But once I cowashed my hair it went back to normal.

I'm not sure but I think Candy said using 3 or more powders tends to cancel out the properties of some powders. I would mix alma,maka (moisture), shikakai (cleanser) and Aritha( another cleanser and growth aid. I think I would put two part alma since that is moisture and then one part of the others. thinking maybe you used to many cleansers and not enough moisture. Where do you buy your powders?

MrsGrant

I'm looking for these powders can you ladies tell me where I can get them. I have found some of various websites but have a hard time finding the bhringeraj (maka) powder. TIA

LongiLox

I'm looking for these powders can you ladies tell me where I can get them. I have found some of various websites but have a hard time finding the bhringeraj (maka) powder. TIA

Your local indian grocery store should carry them.

Aggie

Aritha is a very strong cleansing powder that works a lot like a clarifying poo and it is more recommended for persons with oily hair. It dries out my hair too bad so I hardly use it now. Thank goodness I didn't buy too much of it. Amla is acidic and it also dries out the hair. Shikakai is a cleansing powder as well, so really you used too many cleansing powders together and not enough moisturizing powders, ie., the bhringraj powder. I don't use neem anything as I don't have dandruff issues at this time.

Aggie

I'm not sure but I think Candy said using 3 or more powders tends to cancel out the properties of some powders. I would mix alma,maka (moisture), shikakai (cleanser) and Aritha( another cleanser and growth aid. I think I would put two part alma since that is moisture and then one part of the others. thinking maybe you used to many cleansers and not enough moisture. Where do you buy your powders?

I have used multiple powders together with great success, but not many cleansing powders all at once. That's asking for major trouble.