cassia obovata support thread AKA neutral henna

Khadija.D.Carryl

:bump: Now I am doing my whole head. How often should cassia treatments be done?

Cassia is not as long term as henna, so roughly every 3-4 weeks is good. Some do it every 2-3 weeks but it depends on your hair regimen and what works best for your hair. It's especially important not tolet it dry out

Amoreofcurls

I asked this in another thread, but didnt get any response...

Since I will start henna'ing, and doing cassia very soon I have a few questions...

For those who do HENNA and CASSIA, when do you do both?, how do you go about alternating between the two??

Does doing each every two weeks sound okay? (Henna one week, Cassia the week after the next) twice a month...

Also I love my jet black hair and I dont want reddish hair, but I want the full benefits from henna..... Do ya'll think it would be okay to do a full henna treatment for the first time, then follow up with henna glosses mixed with ingredients known for darkening like Amla Oil,or Molasses?....I hear that (full) henna wont really change the color of dark hair much, but will (redden) overtime with continued usage...

What kind of color does the one step Henna/Indigo treatment give?

Last edited:

Urban

:bump: Now I am doing my whole head. How often should cassia treatments be done?

I think you should do it as often as your hair likes. I've done from as frequent as once a week to as little as once every few months. Do whatever your hair tells you to.

empressri

I'm uploading vids on this now but I looove this stuff! It didn't loosen my curls hallelujerrrrr!! I only needed one pack which is 200g I think and then I used a third of another pack, I was very surprised. Added some amla powder and monoi de tahiti to my mix. My hair felt soft yet very strong afterwards and it really did enhance the curls.

NO breakage when conditioning either!! NO little hairs broken off.

Krystle~Hime

now my hair has dried since the treatment, and I don't see some breakage even if I Haven't use molasses :)
one disadvantage : it hasn't rinse out well.. I have so much residue, that i can't wear my half wig for the moment and has decided to wear headwraps as protective style for hiding my hair. :s
any solution to this problem?

LaidBak

now my hair has dried since the treatment, and I don't see some breakage even if I Haven't use molasses :)
one disadvantage : it hasn't rinse out well.. I have so much residue, that i can't wear my half wig for the moment and has decided to wear headwraps as protective style for hiding my hair. :s

Do you just rinse it out, or do you shampoo? I shampooed and conditioned afterward and I have no residue. But my hair is a bit dryer too. So I know I have to use a lot of moisturizer on a daily basis.

Urban

I co-wash to rinse it out and still get residue, but never so much that I can't wear my hair out. It's only a little bit and no-one can see it.

If you comb, maybe you can comb through with conditioner?

ellcee34

Wow! I think I'm going to try this! Hopefully, I can find some cassia locally here in NYC. Anyone have any ideas on where to go? I was thinking of trying Whole Foods just since it's nearby...and then if that's a flop, looking around for an Indian market or something.

Anyway, I came across this YT video of cassia application in case anyone's interested. This girl has BEAUTIFUL hair! YouTube - Cassia Obovata Treatment

Also, one more question. Do you ladies shampoo before or after applying cassia? I feel that shampooing before would help remove buildup already on my hair from moisturizing/sealing throughout the week. But then, shampooing after seems like it helps some remove the cassia buildup better. I'm torn on which one to do!

empressri

shampooing afterwards seems like a nice way to tangle and dry out your hair. you apply it to CLEAN damp or dry hair. cowash it out.

Krystle~Hime

Do you just rinse it out, or do you shampoo? I shampooed and conditioned afterward and I have no residue. But my hair is a bit dryer too. So I know I have to use a lot of moisturizer on a daily basis.
I shampooed. Then did my cassia treatment (followed by a DC)
I put my head under the sink for so long minutes, massaging my scalp and my strands. but i've seen so much residue afterwards !!!! (no soucy with dryness)

I co-wash to rinse it out and still get residue, but never so much that I can't wear my hair out. It's only a little bit and no-one can see it.

If you comb, maybe you can comb through with conditioner?
my detangling-time is when I DC. so yes after cassia treatment I have combed my hair, but as I said, after rinsing and letting my hair air-drying, so much cassia buildups.

shampooing afterwards seems like a nice way to tangle and dry out your hair. you apply it to CLEAN damp or dry hair. cowash it out.
you said "cowash it out" but my conditionners don't have cleansing agents..
do y'all think that I will erase cassia immediat effects if I shampoo my hair(it's always natural shampoo product) after cassia treatment.
because I seriously dunno what to do..

empressri

you dont NEED cleansing agents to get the powder out. it's not like it's a silicone or something. it's just a powder that WILL rinse out. hell you can just use water if you want but you'd be standing in the shower for a long time. cowashing helps get it out more plus makes your hair feel yummy again.

Krystle~Hime

2nd try toniiiight:drunk:

2nd attempt last friday.
I forget to mix with amla and brahmi, so it was a straight cassia application.
seriously, I like this treatment!!!!!
it stops so well the breakage !!
and thanks to you EmpressRi I use after some conditionner and the cassia rinse was easier, also I leave some minutes the condish so it makes my hair softer.
with that I'm wondering if I can do a weekly cassia treatment(following by a lil DC), weekly instead of bi-monthly.
because I was thinking it will make my hair so hard but finally not.

melissa-bee

I've just ordered 500g of cassia. IT will be my first henna treatment and I am excited about it especially after all the good things I have been hearing about it.

greenandchic

I've just ordered 500g of cassia. IT will be my first henna treatment and I am excited about it especially after all the good things I have been hearing about it.

I've been doing henna and cassia since the fall and I love it! Let us know how it goes.

hothair

I've used cassia about twice a year for the last few years. I like it but I'm lazy. I want to try and use Cassia/henna/indigo mix to get a light brown/honey blonde look without the reddish tinge. Cassia gives my hair a yellowish tinge (lightened hair), henna is reddish and indigo gives a bluish tinge that I'm hoping will calm down the yellow and red.

Worse case scenario I end up with "strong" purple hair:lol: I'm crap with updates but will try and update when I do it in the next few weeks ISA

greenandchic

I've used cassia about twice a year for the last few years. I like it but I'm lazy. I want to try and use Cassia/henna/indigo mix to get a light brown/honey blonde look without the reddish tinge. Cassia gives my hair a yellowish tinge (lightened hair), henna is reddish and indigo gives a bluish tinge that I'm hoping will calm down the yellow and red.

Worse case scenario I end up with "strong" purple hair:lol: I'm crap with updates but will try and update when I do it in the next few weeks ISA

When I used cassia over my normal hennaed hair, my hair was magenta! :lol:

melissa-bee

I did my first ever cassia treatment today and I'm kind of disappointed. I'm currently sitting here with conditioner in my hair. But when I was rinsing it out, my hair didn't seem any stronger, my hair didn't look or feel heavier and it certainly didn't have more shine.
But guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning when my hair is dry to make a proper judgement.
This time I cleansed my hair and then applied it to damp hair, next time I'm going to try it on dry hair before washing.

greenandchic

I did my first ever cassia treatment today and I'm kind of disappointed. I'm currently sitting here with conditioner in my hair. But when I was rinsing it out, my hair didn't seem any stronger, my hair didn't look or feel heavier and it certainly didn't have more shine.
But guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning when my hair is dry to make a proper judgement.
This time I cleansed my hair and then applied it to damp hair, next time I'm going to try it on dry hair before washing.

The best way to apply is on clean hair like you did. I wonder why it didn't work for you...

How long did you leave it on your hair?

melissa-bee

I left it on there for just over 2 hours. Then I put a plastic bag over my head and covered it with a towel to keep the mixture warm.
Before rinsing the mixture out, I could see that my hair was looking a bit more defined. But after rinsing and when it was damp my hair looked exactly the same.

When I woke up this morning to undo the canerows my hair was still a bit damp so my hair kinked up straight away so. But I guess it has had a little effect my hair appears to lay down better when tying it up (compared to when it's normally damp then dries) and yes my hair is a bit more sheen-y. I could argue that my hair is now retaining moisture a bit better, I'm not sure.

Maybe I should do another treatment next wash to see how that works. I've still got 400 grams left.

yodie

AyurNatural has cassia powder and a cassia treatment. Does anyone know the difference between the two?