cassia obovata support thread AKA neutral henna

Mz.Shug

Used Cassia about a week and a half ago.Love it! Mixed it with a tsp. of amla, olive oil and of course water until it reached consistancy. Came out great but here's what I'll do diff. next time.

More water and stir stir stir.....NO LUMPS!!! The lumps hide the still dryed powder and finding traces of that in your hair after you've rinsed is NO FUN.:nono: Next I think I'll add a bit of moist. conditioner to the mix.:lick: The drying effects of Cassia are NO JOKE. I just found a deep cond., moist, and sealer that my hair loves so I think I'll be able to combat the dryness head on next time.

Overall great experience my hair is supppper shiney and STRONG.(I really had to up my moist. routine.)

Question: Can this replace my bi weekly protein treatment?:look:

poookie

i did a cassia treatment for the first time this weekend. it will definitely be a staple.

i used 100g of cassia, mixed it with warm water & clove powder (to help the smell). after mixing it smooth, i applied it straight to my hair, put 2 showercaps on, & left the mix on for a day. :look: yes, a day. 24 hours. i was feeling lazy!

i used v05 moisture milk conditioner to rinse it out, and i was very surprised at how soft my hair felt. worried about overmoisturization, i deep conditioned with a mix of nexxus keraphix and john frieda's brilliant brunette (it smells yummy :lick:) for 2 hours. rinsed it all out and my hair came out like pure butta. the cassia and protein conditioning after *really* defined and elongated my coilies.

i did a curlformer set, & didn't even need to use serum afterwards, my hair felt that good!

the set came out wonderful, & the cassia really brought a nice light golden tone to my hair (my color was starting to get a bit brassy).

cassia will definitely be a staple. i am giving up on henna and using this exclusively from now on.

Khadija.D.Carryl

I'm not finished yet, but it's already a hair fail!
100g was NOT enough for my hair, so the back half is moderately covered and the front hardly has any at all. :wallbash:

Yeah your hair looks a bit too long to use just 100 grams and it's probably on the thick side right? Use at least 150-200 grams more then likely, would be good.

Khadija.D.Carryl

But in almost every thread I've read, people said they never used as much as the recommended amount.
I really think 300g will be enough for next time, but I'll buy 500g just to be on the safe side. :ohwell:

It's true that the quotes there are a little unreliable because it doesn't talk about a person's hair thickness. When judging how much product to use you ask about thickness and length. Mid back is about 200-250 grams and so forth. Read this article, it's perfect for all those beginning henna and herbs needs:
http://hennablogspot.com/common-mistakes-and-tips-henna-for-hair/

KinkyGenius

Thought I'd bump this thread since I'll be using cassia for the first time next weekend. So far this is what I've got out of it:

• All I'll really need is 100 grams of cassia since Khadija.D.Carryl stated "Mid back is about 200-250 grams and so forth" and I'm between SL/APL.
  • I don't have to let the cassia sit overnight since I'm not interested in the coloring aspect of cassia just the conditioning/strengthening of it.
  • My "recipe" will be 100 grams of cassia, a few tbsps of olive oil and warm water. - Should I add a cheap conditioner to this as well?
  • Leave on for 45 mins to an hour - Should I sit under my dryer? Would the results be "better" if I do?

Missing anything? I have a few questions there in red. If anyone could address them, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Last edited:

girlcherokee

my answers in purple - it's been awhile since i have been here - been so darn busy, but my heart never left!
Thought I'd bump this thread since I'll be using cassia for the first time next weekend. So far this is what I've got out of it:

• All I'll really need is 100 grams of cassia since Khadija.D.Carryl stated "Mid back is about 200-250 grams and so forth" and I'm between SL/APL.
  • I don't have to let the cassia sit overnight since I'm not interested in the coloring aspect of cassia just the conditioning/strengthening of it.
  • My "recipe" will be 100 grams of cassia, a few tbsps of olive oil and warm water. - Should I add a cheap conditioner to this as well? i would to be on the safe side - you will be largely experimenting with these till you find your groove. so i say err on the safe side till you know how your hair takes this. i dont add anything to my cassia or henna as far as conditioners any more, i used to go out of my way to keep from drying out - no need for me anyway - as long as i do a good moisterizing treatment after i'm fine.

Missing anything? I have a few questions there in red. If anyone could address them, I'd greatly appreciate it!

girlcherokee

Should I sit under my dryer? Would the results be "better" if I do?

the results wont necessarily be better but you could be done quicker if time is a factor - 30 - 60 minutes under heat verse 3 hrs just walking around in a cap

someone also asked about not needing protien:
uuum i need the same amount of protien despite my henna/cassia practices - they def enhance my hair, but i still need my protien, in fact, my best henna treatments are after i do an aphogee 2 minute for about 1 minutre then henna - yum, then i do a great moisturizing treatment - but like i said, go slow with this on your head because you dont want to mess your hair up doing something radical like i just said, if this stuff tends towards drying your hair as it does for some.

girlcherokee

as far as the amount goes - i mix mine with yogurt and instead of using water i use tea - or coffee - and my paste is fairly light in consistency, not very pasty, 100g last me for quite a few treatments - i am ` inch off of bsl - need to update my siggy, i know, when i get the chance.

blksndrlla

I will be trying this on Saturday! I will probably just mix V05, coconut oil and cassia. If I commit to using cassia, I will buy more ayurvedic herbs, but one thing at a time.

LaidBak

OK so after reading through the thread this is my plan of attack:
- wet my hair and lightly apply coconut oil
- cassia + water + Hairveda Sitrinillah + EVOO
- use immediately after mixing cause I don't want any color (I have no grays so it doesn't really matter)
- Let it sit under a shower cap for an hour
- Shampoo out
- follow with a 10 minute Humectress and Wheat germ oil condition (will DC with heat if my hair feels dry)
- Roux PC final rinse

I am relaxed and I am looking to take my hair to the next level. I'm so sick of setbacks!!

"Experts", is this sufficient/correct? Have I missed anything?

ETA: I used Humectress cause I ran out of SitriNillah, and Botanoil instead of WhGO

Last edited:

RaeCam

Has anyone tried the henna powder from the Montery Bay Spice Company? It's only $4.50 a pound. Wondering if it's any good because I want to do both me and my daughters hair.

dancinstallion

is anybody using the ayurvedic powders with the cassia? I have been wanting to try this but didn't know whether to use them together or seperate.

Krystle~Hime

i've made my first cassia treatment !!
my hair feels like butter, but i don't think i've seen some "strengthening" and also dunno about thickening effect, because I cannot wear my hair out .
but i want to do it again ;)
I did a cassia/amla/brahmi mix.
next time I will add molasses in this mix. because for the moment only molasses has helped.
LaidBak
as I read that cassia effects don't last as long as henna's, twice a month is a good frequency(henna has to be done once a month)

LaidBak

Krystle~Hime Thanks! That sounds like a good interval.

I just rinsed the cassia from my head. My hair was stiff and kind of stuck together. But as soon I put the conditioner in my hair seemed fine. We'll see when I rinse the conditioner.

Krystle~Hime

okay i made a mistake,
I have NOT seen some "strengthening" effect. and also dunno about the thickening one.
that's why I said "I want to do it again" ^^"