Confessions of the hair board :) 2014

20perlz

I have finally found some good wigs and I like them better than doing my hair.

I've been on the board for 6 years and I'm pretty much the same length.

I never liked moisturizing daily and now that I'm in wigs all the time, I try to care but still am not consistent.

I wish my hair would just grow already! Maybe then I would/could care again.

My hair is not short in "real life" so I try not to obsess over my failure to grow "extreme lengths" but the truth is I think my below shoulder length hair looks good on me. Sometimes I think my hair goals are more about "being able to".

Gr8ness83

I want to fast forward the next 3 years of my life so my hair can be TBL already and finally really, really feel good about my hair...
I envy those who can wear TWAs and short natural hair. I feel my face is too fat for me to pull that off otherwise I probably would enjoy my hair at this stage...

cravoecanela

1. I have to deep condition my hair today, and I really don't want to.
2. I'm afraid of straightening my hair because I don't want to damage it, but a part of me is very frustrated about how much shrinkage I have.

sexypebbly

I really love my natural but I just wish it was long already. I sometimes hate styling cause its more effort, at least to me to, get to get the hair to look nice. I wanna be weave checked and be able to throw it in a bun when I'm lazy or do a wash n go. Right now, I cant really do any of those things but hopefully I get there sooner rather than later

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
This TWA phase sucks. I can't do nothing with it. On a good note though, I'm in love with my hair texture. I was willing to accept it whatever it was. I am so pleased of what it is though. I'd like to lie, and say curl pattern wasn't important, but who am I fooling? My hair confession is curl pattern was very important to me! I'll admit it.

Gr8ness83

I length check a few times a day:sekret:

That's a new one... no judgments here but definitely new...seeing as you do these daily length checks, what is the fastest you have seen growth, you are literally watching your hair grow daily.... that's actually kinda cool...

GoldenRule

I "transitioned" due to sheer triflingness. I was just too lazy and unmotivated to get my hair done. When I finally came out of my funk, I had about 5-6 inches of new growth. The relaxed ends had just snapped off for the most part so I just had a few to trim off. Easiest transition ever. No BC required.

ronie

That's a new one... no judgments here but definitely new...seeing as you do these daily length checks, what is the fastest you have seen growth, you are literally watching your hair grow daily.... that's actually kinda cool...

Gr8ness83
:nono::nono:.
It actually is frustrating. I NEVER see my hair grow. Actually to me it is the same length everyday. It's an obsession i am hoping to grow out of once i reach APL. That's why i want to put in some braids/twists extensions after my birthday next month for the rest of the year.
Thanks for not judging:lol:.

wannabelong

I'm just not into my hair right now. I'm thinking about weaving it up for a little bit.

Oh and I really don't care about reaching waist length anymore and I've been thinking about cutting it all of this summer.

I'm so over it.:ohwell:

Last edited:

WhereItsAt

That’s what I do.. I drink and I know things....
I used to be so obsessed with my hair that I had to try every hair product someone mentioned. I went from relaxed to natural to texlaxed to relaxed again. Now I'm just letting it grow between sew ins and wigs.

I want it to grow but I'm not obsessed with length checks anymore. I'm not obsessed with products anymore. So many things have been going on as of late that my hair isn't my focus anymore. I just wash, dc, and braid up for my wigs and keep it moving. I apply a couple of products, one due to being part of a challenge. That product has benefited my hair though. Maybe one day my hair will become my hobby again but now, I just do enough for it to stay on my head and stay growing.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Now that I am on BC #2 the hair thrill is gone.
I need some motivation.

I want to start rocking my short natural hair after the 2 upcoming weddings that I am in..
But I am TERRIFIED b/c I do not wear glam makeup daily, and I don't want to start...

Jace032000

I don't feel like my goal of having WL hair is even remotely possible…especially with my current regimen.

ezina

I may get a couple of stones thrown at me but I sometimes wonder how and why some women who have been on the board for several years and have been actively trying to grow their hair long during all that time are still at the same length (except for those who regularly color their hair, but even then I'm still a bit confused because the knowledge on this board is so immense that even color-treated hair can thrive from applying just some of it). I don't mean to be insensitive. This is genuine curiosity.

Jace032000

I may get a couple of stones thrown at me but I sometimes wonder how and why some women who have been on the board for several years and have been actively trying to grow their hair long during all that time are still at the same length (except for those who regularly color their hair, but even then I'm still a bit confused because the knowledge on this board is so immense that even color-treated hair can thrive from applying just some of it). I don't mean to be insensitive. This is genuine curiosity.

I've been a member since 2009 but only recently have been active. Before that I was a "casual lurker." I'm sure there are a lot of people who are either like that or have cut their hair over a dozen times…

ezina

I've been a member since 2009 but only recently have been active. Before that I was a "casual lurker." I'm sure there are a lot of people who are either like that or have cut their hair over a dozen times…

Oh yes, being a casual lurker is a very good point. Also, I should have clarified that those who cut their hair don't count (because that's counterintuitive to trying to retain growth). If it wasn't cut due to a set back, I don't consider it being actively trying to grow hair long, per se; I see it more as a break from retaining long lengths.

Basically, I'm talking about people who appear to be doing all the right things but end up with no results. Maybe there is no one on the board that is truly like that, and what I'm imagining are people who have been long-term casual lurkers or have had several mishaps or several intentional cuts that I'm unaware of.

Last edited:

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
Oh yes, being a casual lurker is a very good point. Also, I should have clarified that those who cut their hair don't count (because that's counterintuitive to trying to retain growth). If it wasn't cut due to a set back, I don't consider it being actively trying to grow hair long, per se; I see it more as a break from retaining long lengths.

Basically, I'm talking about people who appear to be doing all the right things but end up with no results. Maybe there is no one on the board that is truly like that, and what I'm imagining are people who have been long-term casual lurkers or have had several mishaps or several intentional cuts that I'm unaware of.

That's it ezina . At this point, I am convinced that is what it is. I have seen it happen very often with several members on several different boards.

Last edited:

BostonMaria

I'm not as crazy into my hair like I used to, but I still take good care of it. Woke up at midnight and jumped out of bed because I fell asleep without a silk cap on. Ooh mama don't play that LOL

Love my hair. Maybe a little TOO much. I think ... I KNOW I'd cry if God forbid something caused a set back. Knock on wood, haven't had a set back in 7 years.

bronzephoenix

1. My recent bc from MBL to TWA has given me astounding freedom. No longer length obsessed. Although I have already decided to let it grow back, I can tell I will be able to enjoy every stage this time around.

2. Now texture obsessed! Lol. I love my texture & I don't ever foresee using direct heat or chemicals again for fear of jacking up my curl pattern.

3. 4 years into my HHJ and I can finally say I've mastered my hair. Forreal. I'm done with pjism, and am ecstatic to have found my staples & HG products, all of which are completely natural; most of which can be found in my kitchen. I won't miss chasing the newest products & I'm excited to be keeping it simple. I've made tons of fuss over my hair, but I'm a minimalist at heart.

4. I'm super curious about the water only method...

5. My husband has his hands & face in my hair allll the time now that it's short! Makes me wanna color. ;) When it was long, I had him spooked to even look at it.

6. I still wanna reach waist length & even hip length one day. But I won't be stressing to get there.

7. I thought cutting my hair this time would push me to compensate with makeup/wardrobe etc, but I was wrong. I feel surprisingly confident & beautiful. I realized just how much of a crutch my long lengths had become.

8. I'm no longer competing with myself & that's a relief!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
1. My recent bc from MBL to TWA has given me astounding freedom. No longer length obsessed. Although I have already decided to let it grow back, I can tell I will be able to enjoy every stage this time around.

2. Now texture obsessed! Lol. I love my texture & I don't ever foresee using direct heat or chemicals again for fear of jacking up my curl pattern.

3. 4 years into my HHJ and I can finally say I've mastered my hair. Forreal. I'm done with pjism, and am ecstatic to have found my staples & HG products, all of which are completely natural; most of which can be found in my kitchen. I won't miss chasing the newest products & I'm excited to be keeping it simple. I've made tons of fuss over my hair, but I'm a minimalist at heart.

4. I'm super curious about the water only method...

5. My husband has his hands & face in my hair allll the time now that it's short! Makes me wanna color. ;) When it was long, I had him spooked to even look at it.

6. I still wanna reach waist length & even hip length one day. But I won't be stressing to get there.

7. I thought cutting my hair this time would push me to compensate with makeup/wardrobe etc, but I was wrong. I feel surprisingly confident & beautiful. I realized just how much of a crutch my long lengths had become.

8. I'm no longer competing with myself & that's a relief!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

bronzephoenix

Wow that sounds awesome :love:. It sounds refreshing, you are making a tempting case for a TWA :blush:!

Amarilles

I wish I would have realized earlier (before starting my transition) that the reason why I lost my length as a relaxed head wasn't because of the relaxer, but due to excessive heat by my very own hands. I would love to see my relaxed hair with minimal direct heat usage...but nearly 2 years into my transition so! So much for that.

I kinda dream of shaving half of my hair (the back) to experience less hair. My fiance would freak out I'm sure...and it's not my style even and I think I'm too old for that kind of cut but I would still love to. Just once.

I think my hair is prettier than my face :perplexed the hair can be a dry, shriveled up old dirty mess but this never reflects on any photo I've tried to take. I can never capture any hair or styling issues. I do wish my face were as photogenic. :ohwell:

BonBon

I've been here since 2007:look: I've been doing the right thing consistently for 2 years (low manip, keeping it simple), but that wasn't always the case. Before that I was either impulsive with bandwagons, always playing in my hair, or being a product junkie. I really don't think very fine hair is for reckless experimentation. Just ONE time with the flat iron being too high, or ONE time with a bad self relax can break it off.

I lost my hair a few times because of stress/alopecia also.

krissyhair

I wish I would have realized earlier (before starting my transition) that the reason why I lost my length as a relaxed head wasn't because of the relaxer, but due to excessive heat by my very own hands. I would love to see my relaxed hair with minimal direct heat usage...but nearly 2 years into my transition so! So much for that.

I kinda dream of shaving half of my hair (the back) to experience less hair. My fiance would freak out I'm sure...and it's not my style even and I think I'm too old for that kind of cut but I would still love to. Just once.

I think my hair is prettier than my face :perplexed the hair can be a dry, shriveled up old dirty mess but this never reflects on any photo I've tried to take. I can never capture any hair or styling issues. I do wish my face were as photogenic. :ohwell:

Lol you are blessed to have photogenic hair.

NaturallyATLPCH

I feel like I am stuck in collar bone purgatory. My hair just grows SLOW. I never put any heat on it and only style once a week. Will I ever get beyond this point. Good Grief.

I know I should enjoy my hair at every stage and I am trying. I just want to be able to throw it a ponytail with no effort.

Last edited:

Anakinsmomma

I really want to get a weave, braids... Something. I'm so bored with this hybrid ponytail/bun at work and wash n go on the weekends routine I got going. But I can never find a braider who doesn't make it bulky as hell and I'm too lazy to do it myself. And if it's too bulky I can't wear my hat at work.

I want to get past cbl but I keep having to cut because I'm ALWAYS finding split ends no matter what my regimen is :wallbash:

Gr8ness83

I can see where your confusion may come from but just because the knowledge is there and available doesn't mean that it is practiced and applied. Shoot, I started my HHJ way back in 2006 and according to my plans then, I should be swinging around some healthy, natural HL hair... ummmm errrrr, yeah, I'm not even close. Even though my hair is not at the length that I planned, my hair is still far healthier than it's ever been. On top of that, life in general can throw a monkey wrench in your hair plans. Things such as post-partum shedding, birth control (ME), stress (ME), aging (everyone), busy work schedule, heavy class loads, going through a divorce or grieving from losing a loved one. All of that can lead to changes in your hair or neglecting your hair. Plus protective styles such as braids, twists, weaves and wigs cost money if you don't know how to do them yourself and even if you do, the hair still costs money so that is not always an option for everyone not to mention that it can take a very, VERY long time to really nail your regimen, especially if you have very tightly coily, coarse or extremely dry hair. A lot of women go through PJism when they go natural and not everything helps, some things hinder or cause extreme setbacks.

PrissiSippi

Simply Komplex
I thought things would change once I went natural. But I am just too lazy to be natural. I don't know how to care for it at all but I want it to be longer. Short hair does not fit my face at all, but to grow it out I need time and a steady routine....with me working that's hard. I fell off. I used to cowash daily and take vitamins

Muse

I've been here since 2007:look: I've been doing the right thing consistently for 2 years (low manip, keeping it simple), but that wasn't always the case. Before that I was either impulsive with bandwagons, always playing in my hair, or being a product junkie. I really don't think very fine hair is for reckless experimentation. Just ONE time with the flat iron being too high, or ONE time with a bad self relax can break it off.

I lost my hair a few times because of stress/alopecia also.

I think this is the biggest reason people are stuck at the same length for years after coming on to the hair boards. There are SO MANY bandwagons, product recs, tecniques, etc. on here that it makes your head :spinning:. Cowash, henna, texlax, MN, horse products, mega protein, no combing, cones, no cones, wet bunning. While these methods can certainly help some they can also cause major setbacks for many others. I think all of the experimenting a lot of women do keeps them at the same length especially if they keep changing up even after they have found a routine that obviously works for them. Even though I've been guilty of this I have managed to grow my hair longer than I have ever been able to before finding the hair boards but if I didn't bandwagon hop I believe it would've been much longer.

Muse

I blow dry and flat iron my hair twice a week now. I just dont care. Lol

Its hair it will grow back.

I feel you on this. Even though I blow dry and flat iron every other week I'm just sick of looking frumpy frizzball by mid day with my natural hair (which is one of those no curl pattern types). Right now I feel like I just want to style my hair the way I want to even if it means maintaining at a shorter length than I want. I kinda miss not caring about length so much.