CURLMELEONS UNTIE!!! (Transitioning Thread)

MummysGirl

Congratulations!!!!! 2 months and I'll be one year post, I'm so excited.

Your edges will grow back! It's good you found out now and you know the cause... :yep: Instead of bunning... maybe pin up your hair and hold down with a headband and scarf?

I also understand what you're saying about length... my initial goal is 18 months but I am already having thoughts about going for 2 years but I keep telling myself - one step at a time... 18 months first and I'll re-evaluate then.

HHG! Congratulations again!!!!

I'm officially one year post!

I have been wearing my hair down for a week and looking at the length, I have decided I am going to just try and grow my natural hair to atleast APL (I am BSL) before I BC.

SO, I am going to DC, co-wash, PS etc for another year or two, becuz I cant part from my length.

In bad news, my sides are nearly GONE from tootight buns. So, for the next month, I have made it my business to either do bantu knots,braid out or flexi rods sets until my edges come back. I am martified at what I see!

AshCash

Yesterday I went in for my first mini-chop. I had four inches taken off and my hair is now a couple inches below shoulder length. I only needed about an inch off but I wanted a change. I am nearing the point where I BC'ed last time but I don't feel any temptation to do so now. I am still hoping to make it to 24-30 months.

Last edited:
Congratulations!!!!! 2 months and I'll be one year post, I'm so excited.

Your edges will grow back! It's good you found out now and you know the cause... :yep: Instead of bunning... maybe pin up your hair and hold down with a headband and scarf?

I also understand what you're saying about length... my initial goal is 18 months but I am already having thoughts about going for 2 years but I keep telling myself - one step at a time... 18 months first and I'll re-evaluate then.

HHG! Congratulations again!!!!

Thank you for your words!
That is exactly what I am going to try!

Do you have any suggestions for where I can get some scarfs?

Ltown

Greyland

I have been wearing my hair down for a week and looking at the length, I have decided I am going to just try and grow my natural hair to atleast APL (I am BSL) before I BC.

SO, I am going to DC, co-wash, PS etc for another year or two, becuz I cant part from my length.

In bad news, my sides are nearly GONE from tootight buns. So, for the next month, I have made it my business to either do bantu knots,braid out or flexi rods sets until my edges come back. I am martified at what I see!

Congrats on meeting the first goal of transitioning! Your hair will grow back!

Ltown

Greyland

44 weeks post! Time has flown by! I still remember being 7 weeks post and making the decision to transition and now 37 weeks later... I'm here :grin:

I have at least 38 weeks of this transition left.... maybe longer.

HHG Ladies!

You are almost there and the 38 weeks will be a piece of cake. You have mastered the hair styles for the transitioning.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Thank you Shay for your words.

I had a problem with this area before when I literally snatched them out blowdrying. This was about 5 years ago. It took me damn near 3 to get themback on track, now, they are gone again.The top of my sides are short as hell where they broke off where the relaxed hair met the natural hair. I attribute it to buns. Imma try NOT to bun until January and when I do,i will make sure my bun is very loose.

You're welcome. Since then I have bunned only 2-3 times and they have been loose.

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
Hey Spain.. I did plan on cutting as it grows but since I just flatironed my hair the first time since transitioning.. I may be able to hold out a little longer.. at least til the summer...LOL

But here are some recent pics:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=412274

Nice pics:yep:. God job with the flat-ironing, I haven't tried to tackle that as yet. I'm gonna just see how long I can go before I have a breakdown and BC:lachen:

_belle

Hair Type? Good ole 4a & 4b

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? I haven't relaxed since Valentine's Day weekend 2009. . . before that, I was texlaxing for about 6 or 9 months.

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...) Cutting it as it grows. . . I am currently wearing wigs. . .

If you plan to BC, do you have a projected date that you are going to do it? N/A

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? my major setback is that I don't know how to cornrow, and everytime I go to wash & prepare my hair to be under my wig, I have to get a relaxed family member to cornrow it. and they simply just don't understand, 'don't pull', 'dont use that skinny comb', 'dont part', etc. . . they just take it as 'nappy' and that I don't know what I am doing and that I don't have 'that hair'. . . I might have to retire wigs. . . because I swear the 30 minutes it takes them to cornrow my hair get get rid of 3 weeks worth of progress. and i REALLY didn't want my ends out in the winter :nono:

What products are you are using?
-baking soda
-bt
-sunsilk conditioners (green & pink bottles)
-la bomba leave in
-evoo
-coconut oil
-silicon mix
-10 en 1

I think that is it. im a reformed product junkie. . . so there is a LOT of stuff laying around that sometimes work their way into my head :rolleyes:

fivetimestwo

I was natural for 4 years and then decided to texlax in June of last year. My last texlax was in June of this year and I'm just not happy with the direction my hair is going in so I decided to transition back to natural. I'm hoping to be completely natural by June of next year. :yep:

Hair Type? 3c/4a/4b

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? my last texlax was 6/27/09 so almost 4 mos. post

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...) I plan to trim as I grow but I think once I get to shoulder length natural, I will just snip whatever relaxed ends are left. I usually wear buns anyway, so I will continue to do that until I feel it is no longer doable. I may do a sew in after Christmas.

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? not yet as I've just recently made the decision that I'm not texlaxing anymore.

What products are you are using? right now i'm still using my staple "texlax" products, but I plan on using my "natural" products soon (shea butter, castor oil, amla oil, PM supercharged moisturizer, SAA, Hollywood Cholesterol condish)

andromeda

^^^Saw your feature this morning on Curly Nikki. I immediately recognized your fab head of hair!! Congrats on the progress you've made. You're a wonderful inspiration for transitioning. :yep:

RockCreak

Hi ladies... I'm still hangin in there. I'm very please with my hair thus far. I did a length check and I'm a little past APL again... which is great especially since I'm trimming and growing. For the next couple of weeks I may just do braid outs....I dunno, but today is wash day so.... who knows.

5 months strong... creamy crack can't get me back! :lachen:

andromeda

Some pics of my transitioning progress from last week and the other day (I henna'd). Still half-wigging it...

andromeda

Gorgeous!
Thanks!
Dayum you have alot of new growth for like 7 months post.
You think so? I pretty much don't pay attention to my growth rate (i.e. measuring on a monthly basis). However, upon recently looking at the amount of the new growth, I said to myself, "Welp, I guess I have a below average growth rate. :ohwell:"

My main concern is that the new growth is thick and healthy bc what I'm doing now is laying the foundation for my future as a natural (and I don't have coarse strands, so I need all the help I can get). I'm just trying to focus on getting adequate protein and water and anything beyond general health is icing on the cake.

andromeda

Rosa--Do you have a fotki?
I have one but I recently made the hair album private and mainly use it for hosting images. I don't feel like paying to get password protection, so I'm debating whether or not to make the albums public and I need to do better job of organizing the albums anyways.

Here are some progress shots from
4/2009
I cut about 4-5 in from my hair during the late spring/early summer

5/2009

7/2009 - I'm pretty sure I have product in my hair here

Last edited:

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Rosa--I am keeping my eye on you. I've said to other people that their new growth looks like mine :lachen:. Yeah I've been going through a phase. But seriously we may be hair twins. I'm not ready to show mine yet :giggle:. I will wait until I'm 7 months post too so we can compare.

LoveCraze

Naturalista
Some pics of my transitioning progress from last week and the other day (I henna'd). Still half-wigging it...

I love your NG. It reminds me of mine also. Now you have me wanting to take some hair pics at my next wash day. I'm close to 8 mths post this month! Yay me!! Still going strong. You really should hook up your fotki! I'll be your first friend:grin:.

HHG
ETA: I am 8 mths post this month already. HEYYYYYYYYYYYY

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I love your NG. It reminds me of mine also. Now you have me wanting to take some hair pics at my next wash day. I'm close to 8 mths post this month! Yay me!! Still going strong. You really should hook up your fotki! I'll be your first friend:grin:.

HHG

I've got my eye on you too :yep:. What I'm really interested is seeing yours and Rosa's hair when you finally cut those relaxed ends off. I'm sure it will be before me. I'm a baby right now. I've got a loooong way to go.

Last edited:

andromeda

Thanks for all the compliments, ladies. I think perhaps the pics I posted exaggerates the amount of ng that I actually have. Here's a previous post I made that depicts the new growth more accurately (of course, there's shrinkage).

^ sure is.. i had that much after 1 yr.
Thanks! Can't wait to be 1 yr post like you!
Now that's some awesome progress
Thanks!
Rosa--I am keeping my eye on you. I've said to other people that their new growth looks like mine :lachen:. Yeah I've been going through a phase. But seriously we may be hair twins. I'm not ready to show mine yet :giggle:. I will wait until I'm 7 months post too so we can compare.
That would be great! I wish you luck in your transitioning journey and can't wait to compare pics!

HHG
Thanks, StephElise! I really appreciate the compliment. I can't wait to see your pics bc from what I've seen, you have a gorgeous head of hair. Congrats on reaching 8 months post!:woot: I'll work on my fotki and make sure you're among the first to know when it's up and running!:grin:

Rosa, your growht is AMAZING. Keep up the good work. Maybe I'll have the nerve to show my hair at my 7 month mark:)
Thanks, Neek! I'll be looking forward to your reveal!

I've got my eye on you too :yep:. What I'm really interested is seeing yours and Rosa's hair when you finally cut those relaxed ends off. I'm sure it will be before me. I'm a baby right now. I've got a loooong way to go.
Same here. Truth to be told, my relaxed ends are so puny that I can't imagine they're pulling on my ng that much but only time will tell. In fact the difference bw the thickness of relaxed and natural hair is so great that sometimes I feel like just BCing.:look: I've been wearing half wigs, so it doesn't really matter one way or the other. As long as the front is long enough to blend.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Thanks for all the compliments, ladies. I think perhaps the pics I posted exaggerates the amount of ng that I actually have. Here's a previous post I made that depicts the new growth more accurately (of course, there's shrinkage).

Okay that third pic in this post seals the deal. I will be posting pics at 6 or 7 months post. Just when I have enough new growth that is visible.