CURLMELEONS UNTIE!!! (Transitioning Thread)

Ltown

Greyland
Hi Curlmeleons!! I'm no longer transitioning ... I did the big chop on Sunday, 10/11! :) I was approaching 9 months post, and I'd been wanting to chop for awhile, so I went to my Mom and had her do it! :)[/QUOTE

Congrats on being natural!

Foufie

To start just introduce yourself/ hair story:

Hair Type? 3C

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? 7mo

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...) been transitioning using micro braids. just recently started wearing out in my curly fro. trying to get my regi straight.

If you plan to BC, do you have a projected date that you are going to do it? i don't have a projected date. i have sort of snipping all along. i have about 1-2 inches of relaxed ends left and about 5-6 inches of NG

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? trying to get my RCF to last longer than 2 days

What products are you are using Creme of Nature, HE Totally twisted, BB Castor Oil, QP Mango Butter, IC Fantasia olive oil sheen, Infusium 23 leave-in

Foufie

I am ready to get rid of my last couple inches of relaxed ends. I am scared they will cut some of my NG. Who will cut you ladies relaxed ends off, you or a stylist?

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I am ready to get rid of my last couple inches of relaxed ends. I am scared they will cut some of my NG. Who will cut you ladies relaxed ends off, you or a stylist?

I don't plan to have my relaxed ends cut off for a while but I am researching stylists now. If you search "big chop" or "transitioning from relaxed to natural" on youtube and you should get a lot of videos. Those can help you if you choose to do it yourself.

Bublin

Hair Type? 3c/4a

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? 4 months post

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...) My natural hair is very tangly and fine - therefore to gain maximum length i have to have a very low maintainence style. I just started doing canerows with no extensions. I plan on doing this until i get a decent amount of length

If you plan to BC, do you have a projected date that you are going to do it? No date in mind but i want to transition for as long as possible. I want to beable to pull my natural hair into one.
Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet?

What products are you are using? Right now CON shampoo and a cholesterol thick conditoner - plan on changing this very soon. I am applying either a shea butter mix or JBCO to my scalp daily.

Would like to add this is my 2nd time going natural. I didn't treat my hair very well last time, was tearing it out with all the combing. Had no idea how to treat it and what products to use. This time i plan on using alot more natural products and concentrate on softening and detangling and keeping low maintainence styles instead of fighting with it every day.

Foufie

Okay ya'll I am wearing 3 day hair today...whoa! I just didn't have time last night to retwist. I will get on that tonight..:grin:

shay - Thanks, I went to youtube this morning before work and checked out some of the videos. I think i can do it myself....I guess its not rocket science...lol

SweetD

I chopped too

I never thought I would but I'm glad I did.:grin:

Creole, Congrats on your BC! When did you BC? Did you do it yourself or did you go to a stylist? I saw your pic and I was wondering.
I will be joining all you 100% naturals at the end of this year.
Seeing and hearing about all the big chops around here makes me so anxious to do mine.

lacreolegurl

Hi Ladies!

To start just introduce yourself/ hair story:

Hair Type? 3c/4a

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? 16 weeks

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? Wash and gos, braids. Currently planning to grow to APL then maintain, trimming off relaxed ends.

If you plan to BC, do you have a projected date that you are going to do it? No, BCing. At least, not thinking about it right now. Who knows, I may tire of dueling textures and go for it!

Have you experienced any problems/ setbacks yet? Yes, not doing wash and go's as much since it's getting colder and I found my hair more difficult to detangle. Had to have about 1.5 in trim earlier this month. Now, washing and blowdrying once a week, wearing it straight for a day (just to enjoy it for a sec) and then braiding up so I won't manipulate.

What products are you are using? In some type of rotation, the following...Pantene Beautiful Lengths Shampoo, Organix Pomegranate Green Tea Conditioner, Fructis Wonder Waves Fortifying Shampoo and Conditioners, Cantu Shea-Butter Leave-in, Coconut oil, Cantu Silk Serum.

steph198019

Hi Ladies!

To start just introduce yourself/ hair story: Im new to the boards, been lurking for about a month. My last relaxer was in April and in August i made a conscious decision to transition. Because of stress (husband recently died, suddenly became a single mom, moving, etc...) my hair was thinning/breaking and just seriously needed some tlc. So now I'm here to help my hair grow strong and long again

Hair Type? 3c/4a

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? 6 months

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? Right now i am in tree braids, but i have been wearing wigs, braid-outs, buns and phony ponies. The plan right now is to grow out for 2+ years and cut every so often

If you plan to BC, do you have a projected date that you are going to do it? Not sure. Things are going well now so i'll just stick with the 2 textures for now

Have you experienced any problems/ setbacks yet? Not really. still working on getting my TnC's and rollersets to come out well though

What products are you are using? Seems like i've tried a little bit of everything :spinning: I mostly use Suave Coconut condish, cantu shea butter, organix coconut poo, unrefined shea butter, coconut oil, tea tree, jojoba oil, glycerin, carrot oil, wild growth oil, evoo, rosemary, and mn

plastic

Hair Type? 4-napp

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? 1 month post and a couple days

What is your transitioning plan? BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...) BC , i have no patience for dealing with different textures

If you plan to BC, do you have a projected date that you are going to do it? Jan 30th 2010

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? Nope

What products are you are using? Nacidt Aloe/ Olive/ Avocado Conditioner Rinses , Any shampoo , ORS foam setting lotion

Im excited .. i play with my ng every night. I even cut off the relaxed ends from some hair by my hairline (that area is 2 months post)

MummysGirl

Checking in @ 10 months post :yay:

Still going okay so far... I currently have my hair in my braids (no extensions) and I plan to leave these in for 3 weeks, 1 week down, 2 to go.

HHG Ladies!!!

genesis132

Hair Type? sorry, never did the typing thing

How many months/weeks/ days post are you? almost 8 mos

What is your transitioning plan? transitioning from JFM texture softner (relaxer)...I am wearing a crochet braided style that I made up using Marley hair...it's the closest texture to my hair. BC or cutting up as your hair grows down? Hair styles (weaves, braids, twists...)

If you plan to BC, do you have a projected date that you are going to do it? I'm slowly cutting the tex'lxd hair off

Have you experience any problems/ setbacks yet? nope

What products are you are using? Every other day, I'm moisturizing my braided cornrows underneath with S-Curl, Hawaiian Silky 14 en 1, and distilled water. I seal with EVCO. That's about it. I plan to wear this style until.....

RockCreak

Hi Curlmeleons!! I'm no longer transitioning ... I did the big chop on Sunday, 10/11! :) I was approaching 9 months post, and I'd been wanting to chop for awhile, so I went to my Mom and had her do it! :)[/QUOTE

Congrats on being natural!

Congrats on your bc.....wooohooo! I'm trying to hold out...especially since I've finally discovered the shea butter/evco mix.....my hair saviour I tell ya.....

MummysGirl

44 weeks post! Time has flown by! I still remember being 7 weeks post and making the decision to transition and now 37 weeks later... I'm here :grin:

I have at least 38 weeks of this transition left.... maybe longer.

HHG Ladies!

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
44 weeks post! Time has flown by! I still remember being 7 weeks post and making the decision to transition and now 37 weeks later... I'm here :grin:

I have at least 38 weeks of this transition left.... maybe longer.

HHG Ladies!

You are such an inspiration to those of us trying to make it long term:grin:. Keep up the excellent work!

I'm officially one year post!

I have been wearing my hair down for a week and looking at the length, I have decided I am going to just try and grow my natural hair to atleast APL (I am BSL) before I BC.

SO, I am going to DC, co-wash, PS etc for another year or two, becuz I cant part from my length.

In bad news, my sides are nearly GONE from tootight buns. So, for the next month, I have made it my business to either do bantu knots,braid out or flexi rods sets until my edges come back. I am martified at what I see!

Shay72

Natural, 4A
You are such an inspiration to those of us trying to make it long term:grin:. Keep up the excellent work!
ITA :yep:

I'm officially one year post!

I have been wearing my hair down for a week and looking at the length, I have decided I am going to just try and grow my natural hair to atleast APL (I am BSL) before I BC.

SO, I am going to DC, co-wash, PS etc for another year or two, becuz I cant part from my length.

In bad news, my sides are nearly GONE from tootight buns. So, for the next month, I have made it my business to either do bantu knots,braid out or flexi rods sets until my edges come back. I am martified at what I see!
Have faith those edges will come back. I woke up one day and realized my edges were gone too :blush:. Four months later and I can tell the difference. I did exactly what you are doing in addition to making sure I oiled my scalp and I slept and air dried in 4 braids rather than buns.

ITA :yep:

Have faith those edges will come back. I woke up one day and realized my edges were gone too :blush:. Four months later and I can tell the difference. I did exactly what you are doing in addition to making sure I oiled my scalp and I slept and air dried in 4 braids rather than buns.

Thank you Shay for your words.

I had a problem with this area before when I literally snatched them out blowdrying. This was about 5 years ago. It took me damn near 3 to get themback on track, now, they are gone again.The top of my sides are short as hell where they broke off where the relaxed hair met the natural hair. I attribute it to buns. Imma try NOT to bun until January and when I do,i will make sure my bun is very loose.