Daily Scripture Readings and Our Daily Bread

greenidlady1

September 13, 2005

Walking In His Dust

Read: Mark 1:16-20

[Jesus] called them, and they left their father . . . and went after Him. —Mark 1:20

Bible In One Year: Ezekiel 8-11

In the first century, a Jewish man who wanted to become a disciple of a rabbi (teacher) was expected to leave family and job to join his rabbi. They would live together 24 hours a day—walking from place to place, teaching and learning, studying and working. They discussed and memorized the Scriptures and applied them to life.

The disciple's calling, as described in early Jewish writings about basic ethics, was to "cover himself in the dust of [the rabbi's] feet," drinking in his every word. He followed his rabbi so closely that he would "walk in his dust." In doing so, he became like the rabbi, his master.

Simon, Andrew, James, and John knew that this was the type of relationship to which Jesus was calling them (Mark 1:16-20). So immediately they walked away from their work and "went after Him" (v.20). For 3 years they stayed close to Him—listening to His teaching, watching His miracles, learning His principles, and walking in His dust.

As Jesus' followers today, we too can "walk in His dust." By spending time studying and meditating on His Word and applying its principles to life, we'll become like our rabbi—Jesus. —Anne Cetas

What holds me back? Some earthly tie? A thirst for gain?
A strange entanglement with life? A pleasure vain?
Dear Lord, I cast it all aside so willingly;
The path of true discipleship I'll walk with Thee. —Adams

Faith in Christ is not just a single step—it's a lifelong walk with Him.

greenidlady1

September 14, 2005

Anger Or Applause?

Read: Jonah 3:10-4:11

Then God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God relented. —Jonah 3:10

Bible In One Year: Ezekiel 12-14

How do we react when God shows mercy to people we think deserve punishment? If we are resentful, it may indicate that we have forgotten how much the Lord has forgiven us.

After Jonah followed God's second call to preach His coming judgment on Nineveh (Jonah 3:1-4), the people of the city turned from their evil lifestyle, so the Lord did not destroy them (v.10). God's mercy made Jonah angry. He told God he had been afraid this would happen, and that's why he fled to Tarshish in the first place. "I know that You are a gracious and merciful God, . . . One who relents from doing harm" (4:2).

But the Lord said to Jonah, "Should I not pity Nineveh, that great city, in which are more than one hundred and twenty thousand persons?" (4:11).

God's marvelous grace is greater than all our sin. "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God" (Ephesians 2:8). Because of His grace to us, we should "be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave [us]" (4:32).

Instead of being angry when God is merciful, we should applaud. —David McCasland

What love the Father has bestowed on me!
For this I cannot help but thankful be;
I read His Word, His promises embrace,
And daily praise Him for His matchless grace. —Hess

We can stop showing mercy to others when Christ stops showing mercy to us.

greenidlady1

September 15, 2005

Do The Hard Work!

Read: 1 Timothy 6:6-19

Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life. —1 Timothy 6:12

Bible In One Year: Ezekiel 15-18

After living more than 80 years, I know that any claim that offers an effortless way to develop a lean, well-conditioned body is a hoax. So is any sermon title that promises an easy way to become like Christ.

Author Brennan Manning tells of an alcoholic who asked his minister to pray over him to be delivered from his drinking problem. He thought this would be a quick and easy way to overcome his addiction. Recognizing his motive in asking for prayer, the minister replied, "I've got a better idea. Go to Alcoholics Anonymous." He counseled the man to follow the program diligently and read his Bible daily. "In other words," the minister concluded, "do the hard work."

Do the hard work—that's what Paul was saying to Timothy when he told him how he should order his life so he could teach believers how they should live. Notice the action verbs: "Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness. Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life" (1 Timothy 6:11-12).

Just as there is no easy path to being delivered from alcoholism, so too, there is no effort-free route to Christlikeness. If we really want to become like Jesus, we must keep on doing the hard work. —Herb Vander Lugt

O to be like Thee, blessed Redeemer,
This is my constant longing and prayer;
Gladly I'll forfeit all of earth's treasures,
Jesus, Thy perfect likeness to wear —Chisholm

Conversion is the miracle of a moment; becoming like Christ is the work of a lifetime.

greenidlady1

September 16, 2005

"I Hurt For You"

Read: 1 Corinthians 12:12-27

If one member suffers, all the members suffer with it. —1 Corinthians 12:26

Bible In One Year: Ezekiel 19-21

When my sons were young, one of them stubbed his toe and grimaced with pain. Seeing him trying bravely to bear the agony of those moments, I said, "Son, I'm truly sorry. My toe hurts for you."

Lifting his head, he looked at me and responded, "Dad, your toe doesn't really hurt, does it?"

No, I didn't sense any physical pangs, yet I did share his suffering. I even wished his ache could somehow be transferred to my body.

The apostle Paul said that all believers in Christ are part of "one body" (1 Corinthians 12:13). And if one part suffers, "all the members suffer with it" (v.26).

Are you grieved when a brother or sister in Christ is in trouble? Does it bother you when a believer stumbles into sin and is brought under the chastening hand of the Lord? Do you experience sorrow of heart when a child of God is passing through the deep waters of affliction and trial? If not, ask the Lord right now to help you become the kind of person who can share the heartache of others and sympathize with them.

Yes, to every Christian we meet who is in some kind of distress, we should be ready to say from our heart, "I hurt for you." —Richard De Haan

The hurting ones need sympathy,
They need to know we're there;
A quiet word, a tender touch
Assures them that we care. —D. De Haan

Empathy = your pain in my heart.

greenidlady1

September 19, 2005

Our Lord's Command

Read: John 21:14-22

Jesus said, . . . "Follow Me, and I will make you become fishers of men." —Mark 1:17

Bible In One Year: Ezekiel 28-30

Jesus asked Simon Peter a heart-searching question long ago on the seashore in Galilee: "Do you love Me?" (John 21:15-17). Then the risen Lord told His disciple Peter that his future would lead to martyrdom. And Peter accepted that destiny without complaint.

But then Peter asked about the apostle John's future (v.21). We can only guess what motivated his question. Was it brotherly concern? Was it fleshly curiosity? Was it resentment because he thought that John might be spared a martyr's death?

Whatever Peter's motive, Jesus responded with a counter-question that applied not just to Peter but to every follower of His: "If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you? You follow Me" (v.22). In that question, Jesus was saying in essence, "Don't worry about what happens in the life of anybody else. Your task is to keep following Me steadfastly."

It is so easy to let our relationship with the Lord be overly influenced by the behavior and experiences of others. But we must not be concerned with what God has planned for anyone else. Through the conflicting voices that surround us, we must keep hearing the Savior's clear command: "You follow Me." —Vernon Grounds

Jesus calls us o'er the tumult
Of our life's wild, restless sea,
Day by day His sweet voice soundeth,
Saying, "Christian, follow Me." —Alexander

To find your way through life, follow Jesus.

greenidlady1

September 20, 2005

Why Me?

Read: Luke 17:11-19

One of them, when he saw that he was healed, returned, and with a loud voice glorified God. —Luke 17:15

Bible In One Year: Ezekiel 31-33

A few years ago, an unkempt, poorly adjusted youth named Tim (not his real name) was converted to Christ in an evangelistic crusade. Several days later, still unkempt but bathed in the love of Christ, he was sent to my home so that I could help him find a good church. And so it was that he began attending with me.

Though Tim needed and received much loving help in personal grooming and basic social graces, one characteristic has remained unchanged—his untamed love for his Savior.

One Sunday after church Tim rushed to my side, looking somewhat perplexed. He exclaimed, "Why me? I keep asking myself, why me?" Oh, no, I thought, he's become another complaining Christian. Then with arms outstretched, he went on to say, "Out of all the people in the world who are greater and smarter than I am, why did God choose me?" With that he joyfully clapped his hands.

Over the years I've heard many Christians, including myself, ask "Why me?" during tough times. But Tim is the first one I've heard ask that question when talking about God's blessings. Many were converted the same night as Tim, but I wonder how many among them have humbly asked, "Why me?" May we ask it often. —Joanie Yoder

I know not why God's wondrous grace
To me He hath made known;
Nor why, unworthy, Christ in love
Redeemed me for His own. —Whittle

Gratitude should be a continuous attitude.

greenidlady1

September 21, 2005

Invisible Companions

Read: Hebrews 12:18-24

You have come to . . . an innumerable company of angels, to the general assembly. —Hebrews 12:22-23

Bible In One Year: Ezekiel 34-36

One Sunday morning while traveling in West Virginia, we visited a small church in a tiny village. Only 15 people were present, yet they radiated joy as they sang. And the pastor preached from the Bible with enthusiasm. But I couldn't shake a feeling of sympathy for him and his people. With little chance for growth, it looked like a discouraging ministry.

But the testimony of a young seminarian showed me how wrong I was! Assigned to minister in a small village chapel, he was dismayed when only two people stayed for the communion service. As he read from the liturgy, he came to the words: "Therefore, with angels and archangels and all the company of heaven, we worship and adore Thy glorious name." That sentence changed everything for him. In his heart he said, "God forgive me. I did not know I was in that great company."

When we came to Christ in faith, we joined an invisible host of companions, what the writer of Hebrews says is an "innumerable company of angels," and "the general assembly and church of the firstborn" (12:22-23). Keep this amazing reality in mind as you worship God. It will give great meaning to every service, whether thousands of fellow worshipers are present, or just two or three. —Herb Vander Lugt

Glory to God, and praise and love
Be ever, ever given
By saints below and saints above,
The church in earth and heaven. —Wesley

When Christians worship here on earth, the hosts of heaven are worshiping with them.

greenidlady1

September 22, 2005

Bring Out The Shine

Read: Job 23:8-17

He knows the way that I take; when He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold. —Job 23:10

Bible In One Year: Ezekiel 37-39

Many years ago I bought a 1964 Volkswagen from my neighbor. The car was mechanically sound, but the outside looked pretty rough. Dents marred its surface, and dirt and grime had dulled its once deep blue color.

As time passed, I wondered if its original luster and beauty could be restored. I was sure its bumps could be eliminated, but what about the finish? So I began to experiment on some of the worst spots. Much to my delight, I discovered that with a lot of elbow grease and some rubbing compound my drab little Volkswagen could be brought to a beautiful shine.

We as Christians have the wonderful potential of reflecting the beauty of our Savior. But sin has left its mark on our personalities, and a lot of "road film" needs to be removed before the lovely character of Jesus can be seen in us.

God often brings about this change through the buffing of hardship and trials, for pressure has a way of loosening the dirt and grime of rebellion and selfishness. The Bible tells us that tribulation produces perseverance, character, hope, and confidence by the Holy Spirit (Romans 5:3-5).

We might wish that a speedy "car wash" could do the job, but there's no substitute for the difficulties that can bring out the shine of Christlike character. —Dennis De Haan

What pains my dear Lord must be taking,
How true and how faithful His care;
I know if He gave me all sunshine
I could not His own image bear. —Beattie

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without adversity.

greenidlady1

September 23, 2005

Dirty Laundry

Read: Leviticus 10:8-11, 1 Corinthians 2:13-16

Distinguish between holy and unholy, and between unclean and clean. —Leviticus 10:10

Bible In One Year: Ezekiel 40-42

Whenever my husband and I leave the house, our dog Maggie goes sniffing for old shoes and dirty laundry. She surrounds herself with what she finds and then sleeps with it near her nose. The familiar smells comfort her until we return.

Of course Maggie doesn't realize she's following a levitical command to "distinguish between . . . unclean and clean" (Leviticus 10:10). Nor does she know she's violating it.

In a world still swirling in sin long after its catastrophic collision with evil, God commanded His followers to live holy lives (Leviticus 11:45). Distinguishing between clean and unclean is essential to that task.

Such discernment requires more than finely tuned physical senses. The apostle Paul wrote that the "natural man"—that is, a human being in his sinful state—"does not receive the things of the Spirit of God . . . ; they are spiritually discerned" (1 Corinthians 2:14). It is the Holy Spirit who provides this wisdom (v.13).

Just as Maggie finds comfort in old shoes and socks, many people seek comfort in old dirty sins. We must be mindful that our comfort and consolation come from God, who loves us and who establishes us in "every good word and work" (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17). —Julie Ackerman Link

Search me, O God, and know my heart today;
Try me, O Savior, know my thoughts, I pray.
See if there be some wicked way in me;
Cleanse me from every sin and set me free. —Orr
© 1966, Singspiration, Inc.

There is no true happiness apart from holiness, and no holiness apart from Christ.

greenidlady1

September 25, 2005

Carried Along

Read: Hebrews 2:5-18

Both He who sanctifies and those who are being sanctified are all of one, for which reason He is not ashamed to call them brethren. —Hebrews 2:11

Bible In One Year: Ezekiel 46-48

A chorus of groans erupted after the announcement that our flight had been delayed an hour and a half because bad weather in Chicago was allowing only a few planes to land. But a short time later, another announcement caused those same people to cheer. We were told that a medical courier was transporting bone marrow needed for a transplant, and this gave our flight top priority to land in Chicago. In a few minutes we were on our way, "carried along" by the important mission of another person.

As we landed and taxied directly to the gate at O'Hare, one of the world's busiest airports, I thought of Jesus Christ, who through His death and resurrection has made it possible for us to enter the presence of God. By faith in His merit alone, we become identified with Him and partake of all that He secured for us. The writer of Hebrews said that "it was fitting for Him, . . . in bringing many sons to glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings. For both He who sanctifies and those who are being sanctified are all of one" (2:10-11).

Each day, let's thank God for the saving work of Jesus Christ, whose love and sacrifice have "carried us along" to God the Father. —David McCasland

To enter heaven when we die,
We have no merit on our own;
But if we've put our faith in Christ,
He'll take us to the Father's throne. —Sper

If we could merit our own salvation, Jesus would not have died to provide it.

greenidlady1

September 26, 2005

Count On It!

Read: Galatians 6:1-10

Whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. —Galatians 6:7

Bible In One Year: Daniel 1-3

A children's book called The Chance World describes an imaginary planet where everything happens unpredictably. For example, the sun might rise one day or it might not, and it might appear at any hour. Some days the moon might come up in its place. One day you might jump up and not come down, and the next day find gravity so strong you can't even lift your feet.

Scottish biologist Henry Drummond commented that in such a place, where natural law was nonexistent, "reason would be impossible. It would become a lunatic world with a population of lunatics."

We should be thankful for the dependability of the natural laws that the Creator has set in motion. They are a great benefit to us if we recognize and respect them. If we violate those laws, however, we will suffer the consequences.

That is also true of God's spiritual laws, such as the one in today's text. The person who ignores God's standards and caters to sinful appetites can expect destruction. But the person who follows the leading of the Holy Spirit will experience the blessings of everlasting life.

God's laws never fail. For better or worse, you will reap what you sow. Count on it! —Richard De Haan

Surer than autumn's harvests
Are harvests of thought and deed;
Like those that our hands have planted,
The yield will be like the seed. —Harris

When we sow seeds of sin, we can count on a harvest of judgment.

greenidlady1

September 29, 2005

A Winner Either Way

Read: Philippians 1:15-26

For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. —Philippians 1:21

Bible In One Year: Daniel 10-12

Lois had just undergone cancer surgery and was alone with her thoughts. She had faced death before, but it had always been the death of people she had loved—not her own.

Suddenly she realized that losing someone she loved was more threatening to her than the possibility of losing her own life. She wondered why. She remembered that she had asked herself before her operation, "Am I ready to die?" Her immediate answer had been, and still was, "Yes, I am. Christ is my Lord and Savior."

With her readiness for death assured, she now needed to concentrate on living. Would it be in fear or in faith? Then God seemed to say, "I have saved you from eternal death. I want to save you from living in fear." Isaiah 43:1 came to mind: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; you are Mine."

Now Lois testifies, "Yes, I am His! That reality is more important than doctors telling me I have cancer." And then she adds, "I win either way!"

Lois' insight is a convinced echo of Paul's words in today's text, "For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain." Let's pray that those words will resonate in our heart. That confidence makes us a winner either way. —Joanie Yoder

Safe in the Lord, without a doubt,
By virtue of the blood;
For nothing can destroy the life
That's hid with Christ in God. —Anon.

We can really live if we are ready to die.

greenidlady1

October 1, 2005

Changed Lives Are Possible

Read: John 3:1-16

Do not marvel that I said to you, "You must be born again." —John 3:7

Bible In One Year: Esther 4-7

Lord Kenneth Clark, internationally known for his television series Civilization, lived and died without faith in Jesus Christ. In his autobiography, he wrote about an overwhelming religious experience he had while visiting a beautiful church.

"My whole being," Clark wrote, "was irradiated by a kind of heavenly joy far more intense than anything I had known before." Unfortunately, the "flood of grace," as he described it, created a problem for him. If he allowed himself to be influenced by it, he knew he would have to change. His family might think he had lost his mind. Or perhaps the intense joy would prove to be an illusion. So he concluded, "I was too deeply embedded in the world to change course."

What a tragedy! If only he had responded to that grace-granted glimpse of another world! If only he had allowed it to turn his attention away from this world and toward Jesus! Then he would have become a part of that invisible world, which is not an illusion but a glorious reality.

God can enable any of us to change, no matter how deeply embedded we may be in this world. The miracle of the new birth (John 3:5-7) will take place when we say yes to the stirring of God's grace in our souls. —Vernon Grounds

The Savior is waiting to save you
And cleanse every sin-stain away;
By faith you can know full forgiveness
And be a new creature today! —Bosch

Salvation is not reformation but transformation.

greenidlady1

October 2, 2005

When We Speak Foolishly

Read: Psalm 39

Remove Your gaze from me, that I may regain strength, before I go away and am no more. —Psalm 39:13

Bible In One Year: Esther 8-10

When former law professor Phillip E. Johnson had a stroke, he was so afraid of being mentally and physically impaired that he wished the doctor would give him a painless death. He said, "That was a foolish thought, of course, but not the last foolish thought I was to have."

In my own pastoral ministry, I've heard some of God's children express thoughts worse than Johnson's—even rebellious words against God.

Psalm 39 offers comfort to people who regret the thoughtless things they've said in times of despair. David was gravely ill and desperate when he wrote the psalm. At first he kept silent lest he speak foolishly (vv.1-3). But when he could contain himself no longer, he prayed a wonderful prayer (vv.4-9).

But in verses 10 and 11 his tone began to change. According to the British scholar Derek Kidner, David spoke foolishly when he said, "Remove Your gaze from me, . . . before I go away and am no more" (v.13). David expressed a hopeless attitude toward death, and said to God, in effect, "Leave me alone." Kidner comments that God included this prayer in the Bible to reassure us that when we say things out of desperation He understands. And when we tell Him how sorry we are, He graciously forgives. —Herb Vander Lugt

Sometimes our pain becomes so great
That we despair in deep distress;
We cry to God with foolish words
That later we to Him confess. —D. De Haan

Our tongue can be our own worst enemy.

greenidlady1

October 3, 2005

Beware!

Read:
2 Peter 3:10-18

Beware lest you also fall from your own steadfastness, being led away with the error of the wicked. —2 Peter 3:17

Bible In One Year: Ezra 1-4

Daily life is hazardous to your health. That's the thesis of Laura Lee's book 100 Most Dangerous Things In Everyday Life And What You Can Do About Them. It's a tongue-in-cheek look at the unnoticed threats in life, such as shopping carts (which annually cause 27,600 injuries in the US) and dishwashers (which harm more than 7,000 Americans and 1,300 Britons each year). One reason for writing this book, the author says, was "to poke fun at the culture of fear."

In contrast, Jesus Christ calls His followers to a courageous lifestyle of faith in which our goal is not to avoid personal harm but to pursue the mission of God in our world.

The apostle Peter vividly described the day of the Lord, which will bring the end of the earth as we know it (2 Peter 3:10). But instead of fainting with apprehension, Peter said we should be filled with anticipation (v.14). Then he warned of those who twist the Scriptures, and said, "Beware lest you also fall from your own steadfastness, being led away with the error of the wicked" (v.17).

Proper concern helps protect us, but excessive alarm leaves us paralyzed. We should be most afraid of failing to live with complete confidence in God. —David McCasland

Living for Jesus a life that is true,
Striving to please Him in all that I do;
Yielding allegiance, glad-hearted and free,
This is the pathway of blessing for me. —Chisholm
© Renewal 1945, The Rodeheaver Co.

The power of Christ within you is greater than the power of evil around you.

greenidlady1

October 4, 2005

On Purpose

Read: Genesis 50:15-21

All things work together for good . . . to those who are the called according to His purpose. —Romans 8:28

Bible In One Year: Haggai 1-2, Zechariah 1-2

When a cowboy applied for an insurance policy, the agent asked, "Have you ever had any accidents?" After a moment's reflection, the applicant responded, "Nope, but a bronc did kick in two of my ribs last summer, and a couple of years ago a rattlesnake bit me on the ankle."

"Wouldn't you call those accidents?" replied the puzzled agent. "Naw," the cowboy said, "they did it on purpose!"

That story reminds me of the biblical truth that there are no accidents in the lives of God's children. In today's Scripture, we read how Joseph interpreted a difficult experience that had seemed like a great calamity. He had been thrown into a pit and then sold as a slave. This was a great test of his faith, and from the human standpoint it appeared to be a tragic case of injustice, not a providential means of blessing. But Joseph later learned that "God meant it for good" (Genesis 50:20).

Are you passing through the deep waters of trial and disappointment? Does everything seem to be going against you? These apparent misfortunes are not accidents. The Lord allows such things for a blessed purpose. So patiently trust Him. If you know the Lord, someday you will praise Him for it all! —Richard De Haan

What looks like just an accident
When viewed through human eyes,
Is really God at work in us—
His blessing in disguise. —Sper

God transforms trials into triumphs.

greenidlady1

October 7, 2005

Right Spirit

Read:
Luke 12:4-7

Fear Him who . . . has power to cast into hell. . . . Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows. —Luke 12:5,7

Bible In One Year: Zechariah 11-14

I once read some theology on the bumper of a car in front of me. It said, "If you go to hell, don't blame Jesus!" The slogan apparently was an attempt by the driver to do some evangelism. I gave him credit for trying, but I wondered if those who saw that warning felt it was put there in love.

Reverend Newman Smith had a doctrinal dispute with Baptist preacher Robert Hall. So Smith wrote a stinging pamphlet denouncing Hall. Unable to select an appropriate title, he sent the pamphlet to a friend and asked him for a suggestion.

Smith had previously written a tract called "Come To Jesus." After his friend read his bitter tirade against Hall, he sent it back with a brief note. "The title I suggest for your pamphlet is this: 'Go to Hell' by the author of 'Come To Jesus.'"

One of the most disturbing assertions in the Bible is that men and women who reject Jesus will spend eternity separated from God. Even more unsettling, virtually everything we know about hell comes from the lips of Jesus. Yet when Jesus spoke of hell, He did so with accents of love.

When we witness to our neighbors, we should ask ourselves these questions: "Is this what God wants me to say?" and "Is this how He wants me to say it?" —Haddon Robinson

Give me a spirit of love today
In everything that I do and say;
I would be loving and kind and true,
Asking myself what Jesus would do. —Hess

Difficult truth should be wrapped in the language of love.

greenidlady1

October 10, 2005

Faith & Riches

Read: Ephesians 1

. . . that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance. —Ephesians 1:18

Bible In One Year: Nehemiah 1-3

Do you want to be rich? Do you think your faith will bring you riches? What kind of riches are you looking for?

There's good news and bad news if wealth is what you want. The good news is that God's Word does promise riches to the believer. The "bad" news is that it doesn't have anything to do with money.

Here are some examples of the riches that can be ours as believers in Jesus Christ:
An understanding of God the Father and the Son, "in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge" (Colossians 2:2-3).

Christ, "the hope of glory," living in us (Colossians 1:27).

Mighty strength in our inner being, "through His Spirit" (Ephesians 3:16).

Having all our needs met by God (Philippians 4:19).

The "wisdom and knowledge of God" (Romans 11:33).

"Redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins," which comes from God's grace (Ephesians 1:7).

Yes, God's Word promises us great riches—treasures that we cannot even attempt to purchase with any amount of money. It is these riches that we must seek, enjoy, and use to glorify their source—our heavenly Father. —Dave Branon

The treasures of earth are not mine,
I hold not its silver and gold;
But a treasure far greater is mine;
I have riches of value untold. —Hartzler

God's Word promises riches that money cannot buy.

greenidlady1

October 11, 2005

Counterfeit Reality

Read: 2 Timothy 3:1-5,12-17

Evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived. —2 Timothy 3:13

Bible In One Year: Nehemiah 4-6

When people see a photograph or video today, they often ask, "Is it real?" A home computer can manipulate images to create a picture of an event that never happened. Images can be inserted into or removed from photographs. A video can be doctored to make it appear that a person was caught committing a crime or performing an act of heroism. The camera may not lie, but the computer can.

Centuries before such modern technology, the apostle Paul warned Timothy about counterfeit reality in the church. He said that in the last days people would be self-absorbed, "having a form of godliness but denying its power" (2 Timothy 3:5). He repeatedly emphasized the need to live a godly life, warning that "evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived" (v.13).

Paul charged Timothy to "continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of" (v.14). True godliness honors and obeys God while its counterfeit seeks pleasure and personal gain. One pleases the Lord; the other gratifies natural desire. Both are identified by their actions.

When people hear us say we are Christians, they may wonder if our faith is real. Our lives will answer the question by reflecting the reality of Christ. —David McCasland

Dear Heavenly Father, Help me, I pray,
to honor You with all that I do today.
By Your Holy Spirit's power, may my words and actions
cause others to glorify Your Name. Amen.

A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. —Matthew 7:18

greenidlady1

October 12, 2005

It's In God's Hands

Read: Romans 12:9-21

"Vengeance is Mine, I will repay," says the Lord. —Romans 12:19

Bible In One Year: Nehemiah 7-9

The world was horrified when Chechen rebels massacred hundreds of people held hostage in a school in Beslan, Russia. Many of the victims were children, including six belonging to the two Totiev brothers, who are active in Christian ministry.

One of the brothers reacted in a way that most of us would have a hard time choosing. He said, "Yes, we have an irreplaceable loss, but we cannot take revenge." He believes what the Lord says, as recorded in Romans 12:19, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay."

Some of us have difficulty getting rid of bitterness about small slights, to say nothing of major offenses like this family faced. Totiev's attitude lets go of bitterness and doesn't seek revenge. It abhors what is evil (v.9), but doesn't repay evil for evil (v.17). What a difference there would be in marriages, families, churches, and in all our relationships if by the Holy Spirit's enablement we were filled with a Christlike attitude that puts in God's hands the injustices done to us.

Why not pause right now and search your heart. If there is any bitterness toward another or a desire for revenge, ask the Holy Spirit to help you not to be "overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good" (v.21). —Vernon Grounds

Search me, O God, and know my heart today!
Try me, O Savior, know my thoughts I pray.
See if there be some wicked way in me;
Cleanse me from every sin, and set me free. —Orr

Someday the scales of justice will be perfectly balanced.

greenidlady1

October 13, 2005

Got Moles?

Read: 1 Samuel 15:13-23

Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed than the fat of rams. —1 Samuel 15:22

Bible In One Year: Nehemiah 10-13

While cutting our grass, I spotted rounded mounds of sandy loam on what had recently been a smooth lawn. A family of moles had emigrated from nearby woods to take up residence beneath our yard. The little creatures were wreaking havoc with our lawn by burrowing into the soil and disrupting the beautiful turf.

In some ways the activity of moles illustrates the dark side of the human heart. On the surface, we may appear polished and polite. But greed, lust, bigotry, and addictions can work inner destruction. Sooner or later, those sins will become apparent.

King Saul had a fatal flaw that festered beneath the surface—rebellion against God. He had been commanded not to take any of the spoils of war from the Amalekites (1 Samuel 15:3). But after a decisive victory, he let the Israelites keep the best of the livestock for themselves (v.9).

When the prophet Samuel confronted the king, Saul rationalized that he had kept the sheep and cattle to sacrifice to God. But this was a mere cover for his sinful pride, which had erupted in defiance of the God he claimed to serve.

God's remedy for rebellion is confession and repentance. Like Saul, you may be rationalizing your sin. Confess and forsake it before it's too late. —Dennis Fisher

God wants complete obedience—
Excuses will not do;
His Word and Spirit point the way
As we His will pursue. —Sper

One sin becomes two when it is defended.

greenidlady1

October 14, 2005

To Tell The Truth

Read: 2 Corinthians 4:3-7

We do not preach ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord. —2 Corinthians 4:5

Bible In One Year: Malachi 1-4

When you think of the term evangelism, what picture flashes onto the wall of your mind? A large stadium filled with people? A small booklet with a set of diagrams? A Christian wearing a pin with the symbol of a fish? A zealous believer playing intellectual chess with a pagan opponent? A salesman convincing a reluctant person to "try Jesus"?

Evangelism is a 10-letter dirty word to some of us. While we think it's a dandy idea for others, we're sure it isn't for us. We're not cut out to sell, nor shrewd enough to play intellectual games with non-Christians.

Evangelism, though, isn't about being a huckster who cons people into buying what they don't need. It has nothing to do with grabbing people by the lapels and shoving on them a faith that goes no deeper than the shirt pocket. What a grim indictment resides in the remark, "You could identify the people she had witnessed to by their haggard look."

Evangelism is simply sharing with others what we know about Jesus. "We do not preach ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord" (2 Corinthians 4:5). No tricks. No deception. Speak the truth, the whole truth, nothing but the truth—in love. Then leave the results with God. —Haddon Robinson

It's not our task to force God's truth
On those who may the truth detest,
But we are asked to share Christ's love
And let God's Spirit do the rest. —D. De Haan

We who know the joy of salvation should not keep it to ourselves.

greenidlady1

October 16, 2005

Just The Right Amount

Read: Matthew 6:5-15

Give us this day our daily bread. —Matthew 6:11

Bible In One Year: Matthew 5-7

A woman who prepared meals for hungry farm workers during the harvest season would watch them consume every bit of food on the table. Then she'd say, "Good. I fixed just the right amount."

Many of us struggle to feel that way about the resources entrusted to us. At the end of a meal or the end of a month, do we really believe that God has given us enough? When we pray, "Give us this day our daily bread" (Matthew 6:11), how much do we expect God to supply? As much as we want? Or as much as we need?

Health experts say that a key to good nutrition is eating until we feel satisfied, not until we are stuffed full. In every area of life, there is a difference between genuine hunger and having a greedy appetite. So often, we want just a little more.

In Jesus' teaching on prayer, He said: "Your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him. Therefore do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?'" (Matthew 6:8,31).

As the Lord supplies our needs, perhaps we should see His provision from a new perspective and determine to express our thanks by saying, "Father, You gave me just the right amount." —David McCasland

Thanks, O God, for boundless mercy
From Thy gracious throne above;
Thanks for every need provided
From the fullness of Thy love! —Storm

When it's time to breathe a prayer of thanks, don't hold your breath.

greenidlady1

October 17, 2005

Beware Of A Judgmental Spirit!

Read: Matthew 7:1-5

Judge not, that you be not judged. —Matthew 7:1

Bible In One Year: Matthew 8-11

A young married man began going to a pornography store. When his parents learned of this, they gently and tactfully confronted him, but made no accusations. The son responded with anger and said that he saw no harm in what he was doing. He accused his parents of being judgmental. With broken hearts they had to stand by and watch him as he left his wife and family, lost his job, and eventually ruined his life.

Many people today would say that his parents had no right to imply that he was doing wrong. They may even quote Jesus' words: "Judge not, that you be not judged" (Matthew 7:1).

But the Bible makes it clear that we are responsible to humbly confront fellow believers when we see them caught in sin (Galatians 6:1-2). These parents were lovingly doing just that.

Jesus wasn't saying we shouldn't confront sin. He was saying we must be very careful in making judgments. Paul wrote that love thinks no evil (1 Corinthians 13:5). We must give others the benefit of the doubt, recognizing our own limitations. And we must reject any feeling of spiritual superiority, lest we also fall into sin.

Confronting someone is a serious responsibility. Exercise it carefully, and always beware of judging. —Herb Vander Lugt

Your Word instructs us not to judge;
So, Lord, we humbly pray,
"Restrain our lips when we would speak
The things we should not say." —D. De Haan

Judge yourself before you judge another.

greenidlady1

October 18, 2005

Courage In The Crisis

Read: Daniel 3:8-18

We do not serve your gods, nor will we worship the gold image which you have set up. —Daniel 3:18

Bible In One Year: Matthew 12-15

Through the centuries, some of God's servants have faced the possibility of an agonizing death unless they renounced their faith. They knew that God could deliver them, but they also knew that in keeping with His own purposes He might not answer their pleas for supernatural help.

In the book of Daniel, three young Hebrew captives faced a life-and-death choice: Worship the king's gold image or be thrown into the fiery furnace. Their response was unhesitating: "Our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace." They added, "But if not, . . . we do not serve your gods, nor will we worship the gold image which you have set up" (Daniel 3:17-18).

But if not! Those words challenge our allegiance. Suppose we face crippling disease. Suppose we are facing shameful disgrace. Suppose we are facing painful loss. We plead for God's intervention, yet in every threatening circumstance our plea should carry the proviso, "But if not!"

Is our attitude that of Jesus in Gethsemane? "O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will" (Matthew 26:39).

Are we willing to endure whatever will glorify God and work out His holy purposes? —Vernon Grounds

They climbed the steep ascent of heaven
Through peril, toil, and pain:
O God, to us may grace be given
To follow in their train. —Heber

When conviction runs deep, courage rises to sustain it.

greenidlady1

October 19, 2005

More Than Good Advice

Read: John 10:1-15

He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. —John 10:3

Bible In One Year: Matthew 16-19

A few years ago, I was invited to speak on the subject of guidance. In my preparation, I opened my concordance to look up the word guidance, expecting to find a long list of verses promising guidance from God. To my surprise, guidance wasn't there. Instead, I found the word guide and a number of verses promising that God Himself would be the guide of His people.

This discovery added fresh insight to my Christian pilgrimage. I was reminded that people who are blind need guide dogs, not guidance dogs! Even if dogs were capable of talking, how unsatisfactory it would be if they were mere bystanders, shouting warnings to the blind from a distance: "Careful now! You're approaching a hole. Watch out for the curb!" No, these mute but faithful creatures escort their sightless companions every step of the way, being their eyes and steering them safely along precarious pathways.

Some people want God to be like a glorified advice bureau. But when our sight is dim and our way is dark, as it often is, we need more than good advice—we need the Good Shepherd to lead us (John 10:3,11).

As we follow Christ each day, we'll have all the guidance we'll ever need. —Joanie Yoder

Though guidance is our need each day
We need not search to find our way;
We only need a faithful Guide
And strive to stay close by His side. —D. De Haan

Looking for guidance? Follow Christ, your Guide.

greenidlady1

October 20, 2005

Living Royally

Read: Galatians 3:19-4:7

You are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ. —Galatians 4:7

Bible In One Year: Matthew 20-22

There is an ancient story about a man named Astyages who determined to do away with a royal infant named Cyrus. He summoned an officer of his court and told him to kill the baby prince. The officer in turn delivered the youngster to a herdsman with instructions that he should take him high up into the mountains where the baby would die from exposure.

The herdsman and his wife, however, took the child and raised him as their own. Growing up in the home of those humble peasants, he naturally thought they were his real parents. He was ignorant of his royal birth and his kingly lineage. Because he thought he was a peasant, he lived like one.

Many Christians fail to realize the royal heritage that is theirs in Christ. They live as spiritual peasants when they should be living royally. According to the apostle Paul, believers "are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus" (Galatians 3:26). He also said, "Because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, 'Abba, Father!' Therefore you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ" (4:6-7).

God has given us everything we need to live victorious, fulfilling lives. Let's not live like peasants. —Richard De Haan

Rejoice—the Lord is King!
Your Lord and King adore!
Rejoice, give thanks, and sing
And triumph evermore. —Wesley

A child of the King should reflect his Father's character.

greenidlady1

October 21, 2005

Perfect Hatred

Read: Psalm 97

You who love the Lord, hate evil! —Psalm 97:10

Bible In One Year: Matthew 23-25

Tell me what you hate and I can tell you a great deal about yourself. Hatred can be the strong side of righteousness, but it needs a sign written on it with large red letters: Handle With Care.

Olive Moore, the 19th-century English writer, put words to this warning: "Be careful with hatred. . . . Hatred is a passion requiring one hundred times the energy of love. Keep it for a cause, not an individual. Keep it for intolerance, injustice, stupidity. For hatred is the strength of the sensitive. Its power and its greatness depend on the selflessness of its use."

We tend to waste our hatred on insignificant slights and differences. Comments made by a political opponent may draw our venom. Angry letters written to the editor often raise trivia to the level of significance because of the pathology of our misdirected hatred. Churches fracture and split when hatred is directed at people and not at the forces around us that destroy life and hope.

The old Methodist circuit riders were described as men who hated nothing but sin. They took seriously the admonitions of the psalmist, "You who love the Lord, hate evil!" (Psalm 97:10), and of the prophet Amos who urged his hearers to "hate evil, love good" (Amos 5:15). —Haddon Robinson

Dear Father, help us to handle hatred
with utmost care. Help us to direct our hatred
only at the things You despise. Teach us
what it means to hate the sin and love the sinner. Amen.

If you can't hate what is evil, you can't love what is good.

greenidlady1

October 22, 2005

It's Your Choice

Read: Joshua 24:1-15

Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve. —Joshua 24:15

Bible In One Year: Matthew 26-28

As Joshua was nearing the end of his life, he gathered the children of Israel together at Shechem. And there, from the lips of a man who was close to death, came an appeal that throughout the centuries has moved the hearts of many. Joshua said, "Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve" (Joshua 24:15).

This challenge, viewed in the light of the New Testament, suggests three outstanding lessons regarding our salvation. First, we must make a choice between God and the devil. To refuse Christ leaves us automatically on the devil's side. Jesus said, "He who is not with Me is against Me" (Matthew 12:30).

Second, this choice is a personal choice. Joshua said, "Choose for yourselves . . . whom you will serve." Through faith in Jesus Christ, we can be born again and become a child of God. But we must do the believing ourselves.

Third, there is an urgency in this charge. "Choose for yourselves this day," not next month, not a week from today, not tomorrow, but this day.

Have you made that all-important choice? Have you trusted the Lord Jesus Christ as your Savior? If not, do so right now! Remember, the choice is yours. —Richard De Haan

If I the King of heaven choose,
If I the things of earth refuse,
The best I gain, the worst I lose—
The choice is mine. —Stanphill
© 1961 Singspiration, Inc.

Now is the time to choose the Lord—tomorrow may be too late.

greenidlady1

October 24, 2005

Who Is God?

Read: Exodus 3:13-22

God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." —Exodus 3:14

Bible In One Year: Mark 4-6

Thirty-five hundred years ago, Moses asked God who He was and got a peculiar answer. God said, "Say to the children of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.' . . . This is My name forever" (Exodus 3:14-15).

I have long wondered why God would call Himself by such a name, but slowly I am learning its significance. A sentence needs only two things to be complete: a subject and a verb. So when God says His name is "I AM," it conveys the concept that He is complete in Himself. He is subject and verb. He is everything we could possibly need.

Jesus put flesh on God's bare-boned answer to Moses' question, "Who are You?" Jesus left heaven to show us what it means to bear His Father's name. He told His disciples, "I am the way, the truth, and the life" (John 14:6). He also said, "I am the bread of life" (6:48), "the light of the world" (8:12), "the good shepherd" (10:11), and "the resurrection and the life" (11:25). In Revelation, Jesus declared, "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last" (22:13). And He said, "Before Abraham was, I AM" (John 8:58).

If you're questioning who God is, take some time to get to know Jesus in the pages of His Word. —Julie Ackerman Link

To Moses at the burning bush
God spoke His name—it was "I AM";
And Jesus also took that name—
"I AM," the sacrificial Lamb. —Hess

Jesus is the image of the invisible God. —Colossians 1:15