Four hours to detangle your hair???

Status
Not open for further replies.

LovelyNaps26

I was watching this youtuber :sekret: last night and she mentioned it takes her 4 hours to detangle. She has great progress so I'm not knocking it. Although isn't quite her length I'm BSB with mostly 4B natural hair and when I detangle (on wet hair w/conditioner) it takes me 30 minutes. Even if I did dry detangle, no way could I devote 4 whole hours:spinning:

Does it take you 4 or more hours to dry detangle your hair?

If so why is it so long?

I'd prolly still have a TWA if it took me that long to detangle. I just wouldn't have the time.

Qtee

I dont need to click the link to know ur talking about Kimmaytube..but she is ultra serious about her hair..I cant imagine ever taking that long..but hey if thats what she has to do..then good for her..IDK...I guess she goes strand by strand with her fingers..

Janet'

Girl, I thought that you were talking about Longhairdontcare in your GIF...Yeah, I could imagine all that hair taking 4 hours...It takes me about 45 minutes...Which, is long enough for me...

brg240

um yes it has taken me that long before :cry: and i'm sure i'm not even going as carefully as her. I'm transitioning and it can get incredibly tangled, my hair is inbetween wl and hl.

though usually it doesn't take more than 2.

Last edited:

ms.blue

I also knew who you were talking about. To me four hours is excessive but she only uses her fingers to detangle. It takes me about 30 mins to detangle my hair (mix of hand and comb).

HennaRo

I could see if it takes 4hrs to detangle and twist but not solely to detangle. That's just crazy.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
I was watching this youtuber :sekret: last night and she mentioned it takes her 4 hours to detangle. She has great progress so I'm not knocking it. Although isn't quite her length I'm BSB with mostly 4B natural hair and when I detangle (on wet hair w/conditioner) it takes me 30 minutes. Even if I did dry detangle, no way could I devote 4 whole hours:spinning:

If so why is it so long?

I'd prolly still have a TWA if it took me that long to detangle. I just wouldn't have the time.

I have a friend with very similar texture to hers.

I did her hair on Sat, she had a twistout that she was only retwisting a few every couple of days. Her hair had not been washed for 2 weeks. she also high density way more than the person in the video. Her hair is about BSB stretched.

It only took me 30-45 min to dry detangle. I just made sure I used a good detangling conditioner (trader joes nourish spa).

I understand the poster who said that it takes her almost 4 hrs to detangle because she is working with two completely different textures. Once she is fully natural it should not take that long to detangle.

There is no way I would allow myself to take 4 hrs to detangle.

PPGbubbles

That would onlu happen if I was crazy enough to wash and go or let my hair air dry loose.... and neither of those are happening

a good 30 to 45 minutes is all it takes 4 my APL hair... Perhaps the longer my hair grows the time may increase.

But honestly the longer imy hair gets the easier this whole wash/detangle process is for me.

LaFemmeNaturelle

no it doesn't take me that long to detangle. That amount of time is not necessary to retain length. I saw her tell that to one of the ladies that commented and I was going to respond but I bit my tongue. The longest it has ever taken me to detangle was a bit over an hour and that was too long for me. So being careful takes about an hour but detangling more quickly but satisfyingly takes about 30 minutes. I do get breakage since I am transitioning and I try to detangle in 30 minutes but my hour-long sessions result in no breakage. I'm sure when I'm natural, it will not take as long. And not taking the precious time of 4 hours each detangling session has not hindered my retention. If she wants to do it, that's fine but she shouldn't tell other women that they won't have max retention if they don't spend hours detangling their hair.

jamaica68

It's apparently working for her because she has retained a LOT of length in a year.:yep:

Nothing wrong with taking your time with your hair if you don't have anything else to do.

Lita

I cant detangle on dry hair...Takes a real long time..I must spritz with water/Qhemet coco tree ghee...I stop counting the hrs...lol

Happy Hair Growing!

naturalmanenyc

No, it takes 30 minutes or less for me to detangle my hair, at about APL, 4a fine strands.

I wish that I could spend 4 - 8 hours on my hair once a week, but that is just not currently feasible for me.

If I recall correctly, she is in protective styles 99% of the time. She noted in the video that she only plays in her hair a few times per year. If she is always in protective styles, why is her hair so tangled every week?:perplexed

Last edited:
It takes me ohhhh.....15 min???

Aint no way I could deal with 4 hr detangling sessions. Only those with no life can devote that kinda time JUST for detangling.

fluffyforever

My hair APL length and longer took about 4 hours to detangle. I get serious knots and tangles since I have so much shrinkage. And after I detangled it, it went right back to being tangled-- so I had to detangle a section at a time and twist it right away.

So I guess 4 hours to detangle and style is usual for me. If I cut out the styling, it would probable take 2-3 hours. But that would be pointless because I cannot have wet and loose hair without getting more knots.

ThickHair

I could see if it takes 4hrs to detangle and twist but not solely to detangle. That's just crazy.
Yes, it takes me that amount of time to no poo, detangle and twist. I would never EVER detangle my hair dry. I only do my hair every 2-3 weeks though, so it is time well spent when I can get up, take off my scarf, shake and go.

MizzBrit

if she's being extra gentle like she say she is..i dnt see how 4 hour is hard to believe..but what i dont get if she's doing it once a week..idk how her hair can get so tangled that itll take 4 hours.

takes me about 2 hours to gently and thoroughly fingercomb detangle mine..about an hour if done in the shower. i only detangle every 2-3 weeks though.

Last edited:

knt1229

4 hours to detangle.....hmmmm. Well if it works for her. Her hair is georgous. I love the volume. But for me I finger comb only. I keep my hair stretched with twists. When I wash and condition I run my fingers thru my hair until my fingers slide thru easily. That's it I'm done detangling. It takes me about as long as it takes somebody to apply a rinse out conditioner then rinse it out. :lol:

Charz

Sinister Minister
She prolly uses a needle to untangle single strand knots. So I can see it taking 4 hours. :ohwell:

You gotta do what works for you...

Irresistible

I can't see how it would take her four hours .....It don't take me that long with arthritis in my thumbs and a pulled shoulder/shoulder pain (I somehow keep pulling my shoulder when I do my hair now)

it might take me four hours or longer from start to finish with lots of 15-20 min breaks in between tho

Last edited:

Nayna

Unbothered
She has a lot of hair, she doesn't look like she has a big head but her hair is very full. Plus Sera takes 8 hours I think she said. So it's possible. I'm at APL and BSB and it takes me anywhere from 30 mins to 2 hours to finger detangle, wash, condition and detangle again with a brush under water with conditioner. When it's 30 mins it's usually cus I cowashed. I also don't wash my hair loose so that helps tremendously. As another poster said upthread as my hair get's longer it's been a less involved process.

um yes it has taken me that long before :cry: and i'm sure i'm not even going as carefully as her. I'm transitioning and it can get incredibly tangled, my hair is inbetween wl and hl.

though usually it doesn't take more than 2.

I'm transitioning, too. But, it usually takes me about 15 minutes (my hair's fine and a thin - except in the crown area).

By the way, I love your signature.

aa9746

If so why is it so long?

It takes me over three hours usually because I'm natural, finger detangle, I take my time.

Status
Not open for further replies.