Four hours to detangle your hair???

Status
Not open for further replies.

afrikurl

I love KT and her videos but I can not relate. I finger detangle my twists from the week, carefully pulling out any shed strands. That takes about thirty mins. I braid my hair up for washing then detangle during conditioning with a wide tooth comb or paddle brush, the brushing or combing is only 15 mins. I don't have nearly as much hair as she does but I think our textures are similar.

naturalmanenyc

It took a while to detangle my natural hair, 4 hours or so, when I took down crochet braids. However they had been installed for like 9 weeks. I had some sections that required very slow, strand by strand, finger detangling (on dry hair).

I'm not sure how or why hair worn in a protective style 99% of the time would take 4 hours to detangle each week?

Last edited:

givemecurls

This sounds tainted to me :wacky: Four hours really??? As much as I love playing in my hair there isn't much, including my hair, that I would do for four hours straight. I would be relaxed and/or dang near bald so fast. An hour tops is my limit. More power to her if she wants to do that EVERY week.

brg240

I'm transitioning, too. But, it usually takes me about 15 minutes (my hair's fine and a thin - except in the crown area).

By the way, I love your signature.

My hair is pretty thick and my natural hair is sl unstretched (i'm not sure if that contributes though.) But like I said it's not always just occasionally like if I put in a bun after I cowash or wear it in a braidout for a couple days it gets incredibly tangled. It's only quick if my hair is straightened.

thank you :)

Last edited:

beautyaddict1913

what I dont understand is how it all of a sudden takes her 4 hours and she cant see how anyone does it in less than 2 hours but just a few months ago she made a video showing her detangling in the shower with conditioner and olive oil for what looked like all of 30 minutes...and now u have a few more inches and u need an extra 3 hours? seriously kimmay? you'd been retaining length with ur previous detangling now all of a sudden you only finger detangle? sooo extra!

what I dont understand is how it all of a sudden takes her 4 hours and she cant see how anyone does it in less than 2 hours but just a few months ago she made a video showing her detangling in the shower with conditioner and olive oil for what looked like all of 30 minutes...and now u have a few more inches and u need an extra 3 hours? seriously kimmay? you'd been retaining length with ur previous detangling now all of a sudden you only finger detangle? sooo extra!
Oh realllly?????
:spinning:

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
Four hours is way too long, IMO. If you look at EmpressRi's (richeau) detangling vids, she detangles her hair pretty quickly, and her hair is probably passed her waist. Not saying that everyone should be able to detangle quickly, but four hours is still a long time.

It takes me like 15-20 minutes, and I'm not yanking through my hair either.

aa9746

It took a while to detangle my natural hair, 4 hours or so, when I took down crochet braids. However they had been installed for like 9 weeks. I had some sections that required very slow, strand by strand, finger detangling.

I'm not sure how or why hair worn in a protective style 99% of the time would take 4 hours to detangle each week?

I just completed a 14 week stretch so it actually took longer so I can relate to the strand by strand detangling. I'm very sure my detangling sessions would be shorter if I did it weekly.:yep:

~~HoneyComb~~

4 hours :nono: Couldn't be me. As much as I love my natural hair, I would not want to spend that much time on it each and every time I detangled.

There has been certain hairstyles that required several hours to do, but I do them rarely.

My detangling sessions less than an hour--I do most of my detangling out of the shower, that way I'm not in the shower for almost an hour. When I'm in the shower, I'm in and out--cowashing, brushing through hair with denman (hair divided into 4 sections)--final rinse, then I'm out.

Irresistible

no it doesn't take me that long to detangle. That amount of time is not necessary to retain length. I saw her tell that to one of the ladies that commented and I was going to respond but I bit my tongue. The longest it has ever taken me to detangle was a bit over an hour and that was too long for me. So being careful takes about an hour but detangling more quickly but satisfyingly takes about 30 minutes. I do get breakage since I am transitioning and I try to detangle in 30 minutes but my hour-long sessions result in no breakage. I'm sure when I'm natural, it will not take as long. And not taking the precious time of 4 hours each detangling session has not hindered my retention. If she wants to do it, that's fine but she shouldn't tell other women that they won't have max retention if they don't spend hours detangling their hair.
I agree with the bolded :yep:

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
I see she detangles dry hair, so I can see how that can take longer, but still not four hours if you're in protective styles majority of the time. But whatever works for her, she has the length to back up her claims...can't argue with that.

I see she detangles dry hair, so I can see how that can take longer, but still not four hours if you're in protective styles majority of the time. But whatever works for her, she has the length to back up her claims...can't argue with that.
Oh, she does it on dry hair? Well no wonder! Couldnt be me.

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
It use to take me anywhere from 2-6 hours or more :nono: to detangle when I was APL and beyond, hence the reason why I shaved all my hair off in 2009. I just couldn't take it anymore.

truequeen06

Whenever I read about people taking that long to detangle, I feel like I must be doing something wrong. It takes me about 2 minutes to detangle in the shower and if I for some unknown reason decide to detangle dry, it takes me about 10 minutes.

~~HoneyComb~~

Whenever I read about people taking that long to detangle, I feel like I must be doing something wrong. It takes me about 2 minutes to detangle in the shower and if I for some unknown reason decide to detangle dry, it takes me about 10 minutes.

No girl, you're doing something RIGHT!! :yep: 2 minutes to detangle, what is your secret, I'm always looking for quicker ways to cut down on detangling :lol:

virtuenow

Yes, It takes me 4 hours plus to dry detangle. I thought I was the only one...until Sera...and then this youtuber acknowledged how long it takes. I'm in the process of trying to adopt a new detangle-- or deshedding regimen, rather. I've been close to the point of giving up-- not on natural-- but I'm not sure what to do...but I absolutely have to cut down on the time. I recently tried the shower detangling; and wet conditioner detangling...no success so far. Sitting with soaking wet, cold conditioner or wet hair is a strong detractor...

virtuenow

It's apparently working for her because she has retained a LOT of length in a year.:yep:

Nothing wrong with taking your time with your hair if you don't have anything else to do.

Exaclty, but I have plenty of things to do with my time (cute) :)-- and detangling --I refuse it to take over whole days anymore

LoveCraze

Naturalista
i like KT, but u might be right.... the vid CLEARLY stated she doesn't take/want advice or suggestions from those w/out videos or hair demo's

guess Emp or Elle will have to slide one to her on the house!:perplexed:yep:

Well I left a comment that she should try out the TangleTeezer even if it's just on a small section of hair to see how it fares compared to finger detangling. And I'm not an anonymous face with no videos out (not that this would make any difference):perplexed

Missjae09

I agree that 4 hours is a long time to spend detangling, but I think the point of it is that being careful with your hair is the key to retetinon is being careful with your hair. Gentle handling is the one thing all of my hair idols have in common... so if you can be careful AND quick...it's a wonderful thing.

MarcustheWu

Also, doesn't she avoid silicones? So, dry detangling and no silicones. I can see it. It use to take me hours before I started leaving silicone conditioners with awesome slip as leave- ins. But, I am sure that there are people out that would need that long even with those methods. *kany shrug*

Crystalicequeen123

Whoa I couldn't do 4 hours of detangling, not even on the weekends. :nono: I just can't see myself doing 4 hours of DRY detangling, and then an extra 2-4 hours for washing, conditioning and styling (as she mentions in her video). Eight hours?? 8 hours? Come on now....

My life is way too busy for that amount of time being spent on my hair. Actually, these lengthy detangling sessions I kept hearing about from naturals online to be honest almost deterred me from going natural! I just couldn't fathom spending that much time on detangling alone. Thankfully, I didn't let it deter me. :).

I don't see why she detangles dry though. Am I missing something? I detangle my hair wet with loads of conditioner and detangling is pretty much a breeze for me. (shrug). Then again, my hair is short though.... :look:

Status
Not open for further replies.