4 Hours to Detangle Hair? How do u cut time

virtuenow

I recently found the key to dangling my hair. It used to take me over an hour to detangle (and that wasn't even a thorough detangle, but I just couldn't do it). Then when I started to detangle with condish and that cut it down to about a half hour. Now that I've discovered oil rinsing the time that it takes me to detangle has been cut down to 15 minutes. That's crazy, just adding that one step after shampooing and before conditioning has changed my hair's life.:grin: I know dramatic, but true!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Don't sleep on oil-rinses!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

ETA: My hair is 4 something and very prone to tangles

Wow, yet another step to add in my routine? Oh my, I may give this a try (you know I will!). I just added another step in last week. I now use a pre-poo with aloe vera juice and jojjoba/coconut oil. Will this be too much oil/ oil rinsing in my routine. I really like the oil as a pre-poo. It feels great.

Anyway, At what point do you detangle in this routine? When the oil is on your hair before you rinse? Or do you detangle after this whole wash/condition/rinse process is over?

I've cut my detangling time to under an hour---I'm so happy!!!:grin::grin::grin:

The number one factor that has helped me to cut my detangling time is keeping my hair stretched as much as possible. I wash and condition my hair in braids.

Also, I now detangle with Tresemme Naturals and sunflower oil on dry hair. I don't detangle with watery conditioners anymore because they cause my hair to shrink, which leads to tangles and those blasted single-strand knots. After I apply the conditioner and oil to my hair, I :

1. finger detangle
2. detangle with a paddle brush
3. do one comb-through with my Magic Star Jumbo Rake

I also detangle with AOWC before I do my steam treatments (the steam treatments may be helping to reduce the tangles because of the increased moisture.). At this point my hair isn't tangled because it has been washed in braids, but I detangle it again so that I don't have to detangle after the hair-washing process is over.

This technique sounds great. What is AOWC? At what point do you do your steam treatment; is this the deep conditioning phase? If so, you detangle before you wash and while you are conditioning? Wow, that's alot of detangling...Do you lose a lot of hair?

Last edited:

virtuenow

I just tried an experiment incorporating 3 different techniques that were suggested here- with my new tangle teezer brush. I must agree with you Darlingdiva. I cannot detangle w/dripping wet hair.

Experiment (split a quadrant of my hair in 3 sections and tested as):

1. Dripping wet hair: My hair shrunk and snapped back to my scalp and tangled/curled around itself (as expected). Using the awesome tangle teezer brush, I still ended up having to cut a small section of tangled hair that wouldn't budge.

2. Dry with oil/butter/conditioner: When I used the tangle teezer on my dry hair w/a tiny little bit of conditioner/shea butter/coconut oil mix (focusing on oil/butter), it worked great. Hair is soft, cuticle laying down and a lil' bit of sheen added :). Tip to root technique worked the best.

3. Dampend with conditioner & coconut oil: worked good, but not quite as good and not as quick as #2. Found that the root to tip technique worked the best

Conclusion, experiment #2 was my favorite (dry stretched hair- oils, butters, and cond mix in that order). I plan to use this technique. I will alternate between #3 until I can cut my time down to 1hour or less (pray for me, this is a very big step)!

I have reconfirmed that I have to keep my hair in a stretched state in order detangle it and save hair. Keeping it more dry with oil, some butter melted in my conditioner worked best. Water makes my hair shrink up, clump and bind together. Futhermore, my hair feels more weak when it's wet. So I gather that the less wet I can get it and still have some slip is the best way to go. Plus it was more quick b/c I didn't run into big tangles and knots!

Thanks ladies for all of your help!

Last edited:
Hi Virtuenow. Have you ever attempted detangling in the shower under running water? This was suggested to me, and I tried it a few days ago. It was amazing. As the water was running on my hair, I detangled section by section with my Denman D12 shower comb. I have tightly coiled/4B hair, and my tangles just melted away. I highly suggest you give this method a try. (Attempting to detangle soaking wet hair w/out a steady stream of water hitting it was no good for me either.) Your shower head needs to have plenty of pressure though. If the water simply "trickles" out of your shower head, I'm not sure how well this method will work. HTH! :wink2:

virtuenow

Hi Virtuenow. Have you ever attempted detangling in the shower under running water? This was suggested to me, and I tried it a few days ago. It was amazing. As the water was running on my hair, I detangled section by section with my Denman D12 shower comb. I have tightly coiled/4B hair, and my tangles just melted away. I highly suggest you give this method a try. (Attempting to detangle soaking wet hair w/out a steady stream of water hitting it was no good for me either.) Your shower head needs to have plenty of pressure though. If the water simply "trickles" out of your shower head, I'm not sure how well this method will work. HTH! :wink2:

Yes, I tried it before- recently. It was actually one of my first experients in trying to cut down my detangling time. After seeing someone on youtube demonstrating a shower detangling routine, I gave it a try. It was better than dripping wet detangling; but just not a feasible technique. I was under the water way too long (it got cold), and I still didn't finish. I believe It was round 1hr15min (approx) (wow).

Yes, I tried it before- recently. It was actually one of my first experients in trying to cut down my detangling time. After seeing someone on youtube demonstrating a shower detangling routine, I gave it a try. It was better than dripping wet detangling; but just not a feasible technique. I was under the water way too long (it got cold), and I still didn't finish. I believe It was round 1hr15min (approx) (wow).

:blush: Over an hour?!? Sorry to hear that ... well I'm glad the tangle teezer is working for you. I just picked a purple one up from Sally's a few hours ago. Can't wait to give it a try!

Barbara

Princess
I use a detangler (Infusium 23 Repairology formula) after rinsing out the deep moisturizing conditioner. I then add oil to each section of my hair after I rinse out the deep conditioner, then add the detangler.

It takes a total of one hour to detangle and rebraid each section.

I prefer to use the Jibere shower comb, which works better than my K cutter. :superbanana: Less hair is lost.

Last edited:

alanaj

I used to take AT LEAST 2-3 hours to detangle. Now i find that if I don't let my hair tangle when I'm washing it makes for much faster wash sessions and reduced split ends and ssks. I put my hair in 4 loose plaits and shampoo with the plaits in.
Then I undo them and add conditioner and nloy then do i detangle. It's gotten me to the point where i spend 30 mins or less.
I hope that makes it easier for your detangling sessions

Ms Lala

That doesn't work for me either. My hair feels weak when it's soaking wet. I finger comb in the shower to keep my hair from tangling too bad but I don't try to do serious detangling in the shower w/a comb, it doesn't work. Combing while wet gives me breakage.

Last edited:

Vashti

I shampoo and DC my hair while sectioned in 8 braids and I add olive oil to my deep conditioner which I think helps with the detangling process. After rinsing out the conditioner I add plenty of leave in and some oil to my braids and then undo each braid, comb that section with my wide toothed Mebco comb and then braid that section up again. I do that with all my braids until my hair is detangled and braided up again.

Irresistible

I just tried an experiment incorporating 3 different techniques that were suggested here- with my new tangle teezer brush. I must agree with you Darlingdiva. I cannot detangle w/dripping wet hair.

Experiment (split a quadrant of my hair in 3 sections and tested as):

1. Dripping wet hair: My hair shrunk and snapped back to my scalp and tangled/curled around itself (as expected). Using the awesome tangle teezer brush, I still ended up having to cut a small section of tangled hair that wouldn't budge.

2. Dry with oil/butter/conditioner: When I used the tangle teezer on my dry hair w/a tiny little bit of conditioner/shea butter/coconut oil mix (focusing on oil/butter), it worked great. Hair is soft, cuticle laying down and a lil' bit of sheen added :). Tip to root technique worked the best.

3. Dampend with conditioner & coconut oil: worked good, but not quite as good and not as quick as #2. Found that the root to tip technique worked the best

Conclusion, experiment #2 was my favorite (dry stretched hair- oils, butters, and cond mix in that order). I plan to use this technique. I will alternate between #3 until I can cut my time down to 1hour or less (pray for me, this is a very big step)!

I have reconfirmed that I have to keep my hair in a stretched state in order detangle it and save hair. Keeping it more dry with oil, some butter melted in my conditioner worked best. Water makes my hair shrink up, clump and bind together. Futhermore, my hair feels more weak when it's wet. So I gather that the less wet I can get it and still have some slip is the best way to go. Plus it was more quick b/c I didn't run into big tangles and knots!

Thanks ladies for all of your help!
While wet , and after adding oil/butter and conditioner to wet hair , would that work? not that you need to do this. But if ever you wet your hair and need to detangle , just wondering if that would work for you?

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
I shampoo and DC my hair while sectioned in 8 braids and I add olive oil to my deep conditioner which I think helps with the detangling process. After rinsing out the conditioner I add plenty of leave in and some oil to my braids and then undo each braid, comb that section with my wide toothed Mebco comb and then braid that section up again. I do that with all my braids until my hair is detangled and braided up again.

I think adding EVOO to my DC's helps greatly with the slip also.

To wash and detangle my hair, I:

1) First divide my hair into 2 sections (left and right) if I'm shampooing at the sink, or 4 sections (2 in front, 2 in back) if I'm shampooing in the shower). I don't pile my hair on top of my head, and I always smooth the shampoo in a downward motion, removing any shed hairs as I move my hands downward.

2) After shampooing each section, I slather on the conditioner of choice, most times mixing with EVOO. Sit under a heating cap for about 20 minutes. The heating cap is very important for me because it allows my conditioner to penetrate deeper, thus giving my hair better slip.

3) After I get done deep conditioning, I either (a) divide the 2 sections into 4 or (b) keep the 4 sections already there if they were there previously from shampooing in the shower (I hope that made sense).

4) For each of the 4 sections, I divide them into smaller sections, usually 3 in each section and detangle with a wide tooth comb and then a medium tooth comb (or modified denman). After EACH smaller section, I twist each one up. The twisting is important because it keeps each section stretched, not allowing the hair to shrink up on itself.

5) I rinse out the DC with the twists in my hair then rid excess moisture with a microfiber towel (plopping or just gently squeezing each twist)

6) Apply leave-in/oil/butter of choice to each twist and re-twist, keeping the hair stretched.

The actual time where I'm detangling with the combs usually only takes like 15-20 minutes, taking my time.

I'm 3c/4a mix APL.

ETA: It takes me longer to detangle on dry hair, and even then my hair would have to be already in a stretched state to be able to detangle. Detangling dry hair from a wash 'n go :nono:, I can forget about it. My crown is the 4a part, and that's the section that takes the longest.

Last edited:

AfroKink

Virtuenow, my findings have been similar to yours. My fastest detangling is on dry hair softened with my moisturizer (Hawaiian Silky). I can usually just finger detangle and then wash.

The thing that has helped me decrease my detangling time the most has been keeping my hair stretched. After I was and DC in large twists I rollerset my hair to stretch it and wear buns for the week. When I remoisturize (every 2-3days) I'll do a quick 5-15min finger detangle to remove any sheds.

virtuenow

Reneice detangles on dry hair - YouTube - How I Detangle & Shampoo My Long 4a Natural Hair (Up-close Look) (under 45 minutes and she is MBL)

Wow, yeah I just saw this video yesterday (thanks Mwezdi), as Reneice is my new hero on hair styling. I don't know how she did it, but you're right, it was really short. However, her hair texture appears to be much, much looser than mine (which is a major factor, depending on how ur looking at this). But my detangling sessions are more like Sera's, anywhere upwards of 4-6ish hours. Not any more though (i hope)

make_me_over

Wow, yet another step to add in my routine? Oh my, I may give this a try (you know I will!). I just added another step in last week. I now use a pre-poo with aloe vera juice and jojjoba/coconut oil. Will this be too much oil/ oil rinsing in my routine. I really like the oil as a pre-poo. It feels great.

Anyway, At what point do you detangle in this routine? When the oil is on your hair before you rinse? Or do you detangle after this whole wash/condition/rinse process is over?

I section my hair in four. I apply the oil and finger comb each section and twist it up. Rinse oil, add conditioner to each section and comb thru under running water. <<<This is the first time I use the comb thru the whole process and with the combination of the oil + conditioner+ running water the comb is gliding thru easily at this point. And just so you'll know my hair is course, this ain't no 3 nothing.

Here's my texture:

Attachments

• nap1.JPG
    nap1.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 11
  • nap2.JPG
    nap2.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 12
  • nap4.JPG
    nap4.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited: