Grow It Long Challenge Keep Growing On...

Lucia

Prepooing with Aloe Vera Juice/WGO/Biolage Conditioning Balm Combo.
Shampooing with Macadamia Natural Oil Weightless Moisture Shampoo
Deep Conditioning with Naturelle Grow Marshmallow Protein and Moisture Conditioners.
Leave in - Naturelle Grow Soft & Silky Leave-in conditioner.

Sealing with CRN Coconut Water Style Setter/Hemp Oil Combo (I whipped these two together and added some glycerin and it is perfect for my hair now). Before, it was just too thick. The Style Setter is probably not going on my repurchase list because it didn't wow me, well not yet anyway.

Thanks for the mini review, I'm on a product ban I had that on my list and didn't get to it yet. I pretty much have a couple of products that I know work for me and I'm using up products and sticking to just those now.

WeirdoBeauty

I recently went on a trip to Texas for school. Annndddd it was great! I love the Dallas/Arlington area and I really enjoyed my whole trip. Now about my hair: I normally wash my hair 2x times a week(wed and sat/sun). My flight for Dallas was on Thursday, so I end up doing my hair super late and my flat twist wasn't dry by the morning. So by the time I got to my aunt's house in Dallas,my hair was ultra dry mess. I had to m&s all over again. I co-washed on Saturday and did my usually flat twists. Fast-forward to now: I had to do my Saturday hair routine between Monday and Sunday due to a paper being due on sunday. So my flat is still under my bonnet in flat twist that I'll take out for a flat twist tomorrow. I also plan to get my hair cut in August before I install some box braids. I want her to cut of about 1 1/2 in to help get rid of my damaged ends.

trclemons

• Pre-poo'd for 45 minutes under the heat cap with Neutrogena Clean Normalizing & Zero % Conditioners.
  • CW'd with Honey's Handmade Pumpkin & Safflower Apple Butter.
  • 80% R/O with SM Black Soap Balancing Conditioner.
  • LCOB'd with L = Ion Reparative Solutions, C = Oyin Hair Dew, O = Embrace The Natural You Trinity Glaze, B = Hairitage Hydration Horsetail on scalp & Siamese Twist Vanilla ButterCreme on ends.

trclemons

• Pre-poo'd overnight with AVJ spritz & EVCO.
  • DC'd with mix of Blue Roze Cocoa Coffee Rhassoul & Kachi Kapur Ayurvedic Powder under heat cap for an hour.
  • Poo'd with TJ Tea Tree Tingle, CW'd with TVO Apple Cleansing, Reconstructed with K. Moore Growth Repair, 80% R/O of ACV & SM Black Soap Balancing Conditioner.
  • LCOB'd: L = Ion Reparative Solutions, C = Oyin Hair Dew, O = Embrace The Natural You Trinity Glaze, B = Hairitage Hydration Horsetail Butter on scalp & Siamese Twist Vanilla ButterCreme on ends.

Lucia

Co wash: CRN creamy cleansing condish
Conditioned: CRN moisture max love this stuff they need to make bigger bottles, seriously.
Oiled and massaged scalp with MTG (yeah back to old faithful) I switch out the mineral oil for coconut or olive or avocado oil
Leave in: CRN moisture milk
Sealer: homemade whipped butter
PS: 8-12 braids put up into a bun

Back on HF37 and Viviscal vitamins also taking bamboo 3x a week either tea or caps.
Running 3 X a week.
Clean eating, lots of water.

Last edited:

Lucia

Source: http://maneaddicts.com/2015/08/30/6-hair-oils-that-arent-coconut/

I think the author forgot to mention that on this list only avocado oil and coconut oil can penetrate the hair shaft. The others are mostly sealers

08 . 30 . 15
NEED TO KNOW: 6 Game Changing Hair Oils That Are Not Coconut!

Coconut oil is totally the Beyoncé of all hair oils, but there are so many other essential oils that work just as well, if not better (for some hair types). You may have developed a hardcore affinity for coconut oil — we know, we know…we in love with the coco too — but consider this a suggestion to expand your hairizons!

OLIVE OIL

Olive Oil used to be the superstar before Coconut Oil sashayed into the top spot. Despite its fall from popularity, nothing has changed! Olive oil is still that sure-fire age-old hair remedy.

WHAT IT DOES: Penetrates and conditions scalp, fights dandruff, prevents hair loss

VS. COCONUT OIL: Olive oil is cheaper and more accessible, has a longer shelf life, and has a heavier consistency which is perfect for hair types that require more moisture.

BENEFITS: Olive oil is rich in antioxidants and vitamins A and E which help combat DHT, a hormone that wears down the hair follicle shaft, thus causing hair loss.

BEST USED AS: Detangler, conditioner, styler, and carrier oil (yes mix it with your favorite essential oils!).

GRAPESEED OIL

Not just for sauteing your veggies, grapeseed oil does wonders for your mane.

WHAT IT DOES: Moisturizes scalp, promotes blood flow, fights dandruff, promotes hair growth

VS. COCONUT OIL: Grapeseed oil is typically cheaper than most coconut oils and is lightweight on the hair.

BENEFITS: Because of its super high amount of linoleic acid (which is a type of omega-6 fatty acid), grapeseed oil is perfect for hydrating a dry scalp and brittle strands.

BEST USED AS: Hair mask, heat protectant, styler, carrier oil

JOJOBA OIL

This classic oil is one of the healthiest for your hair.

WHAT IT DOES: Conditions hair, moisturizes, fights bacteria, strengthens hair shaft, thickens strands, repairs damaged hair

VS. COCONUT OIL: Jojoba oil has an incredibly high content of saturated and monounsaturated fats, making it the best choice as a inside-out hair moisturizer.

BENEFITS: Jojoba oil is very similar to sebum, your skin’s natural oil. This natural moisturization helps protect the scalp from irritation and bacteria.

BEST USED AS: Hot oil treatment, conditioner, carrier oil

PEPPERMINT OIL

This essential oil will give your scalp a fresh and tingly sensation. While peppermint oil may become your new favorite beauty aid,be sure to dilute each use with water and a carrier oil for safe and comfortable styling.

WHAT IT DOES: Stimulates hair growth, balances scalp’s pH level, reduces oily skin, moisturizes strands

VS. COCONUT OIL: Peppermint oil has superior hair growth benefits.

BENEFITS: Peppermint oil stimulates blood circulation and increases oxygen supply, thereby allowing your roots to flourish. Peppermint oil also has antibacterial elements that helps clears pores and restore oxygen to hair follicles.

BEST USED AS: An astringent, deep conditioner

(Note: Tea tree oil is a great alternative if you can’t find peppermint oil or if peppermint oil is too harsh for your scalp).

AVOCADO OIL

Avocado is the breakout star ready to dethrone Queen Coco! This high fat oil is jam packed with nutrients that help keep hair strong and long.

WHAT IT DOES: Strengthens strands, adds vibrancy, increases elasticity.

VS. COCONUT OIL: Avocado oil has a higher content of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats, therefore your hair’s moisture and shine will last longer. Avocado oil is also praised for its non-greasy feel.

BENEFITS: Avocado oil is incredibly rich in vitamin E, amino acids, minerals, lecithin and potassium — it’s like superfood for your hair!

BEST USED AS: Leave in conditioner, styling, detangling.

CASTOR OIL

This legendary oil is known for its dense consistency and powerful effects on hair growth and hydration.

WHAT IT DOES: Smooths frizz, seals in moisture, repairs hair loss.

VS. COCONUT OIL: Due to its thickness, you can get a lot out of just a dab of castor oil, making this very cost friendly compared to the usually pricey and less-dense coconut oil.

BENEFITS: Castor oil is naturally antibacterial and antifungal, which means it can help prevent scalp issues like ringworm or folliculitis. Castor oil is also very rich in minerals, vitamin E, and omega-6 and 9 fatty acids, making it the top choice for retaining all-day moisture.

BEST USED AS: Hair growth and health.

Last edited:

Lucia

Source
http://trialsntresses.com/natural-hair/moisturizing-oil-vs-sealing-oil

It is really important that we can distinguish between a moisturizing oil vs. a sealing oil because if not you could be setting your regimen and your hair up for failure… or at least minor frustration and confusion. I don’t know how many times I’ve sat down and completed the LOC method only to be disappointed in a few hours that my hair looks/feels dry. There are of course various reasons as to why this may happen… but a main reason is the use of the wrong type of oil. Just as there are differences between carrier and essential oils, there are differences in moisturizing and sealing oils.

A moisturizing oil is an oil that is used to penetrate the shaft of the hair and actually moisturize it. Not all oils can do so. The oils that can not penetrate the hair shaft are best used to seal the hair and lock the moisture in. Also it is best not to use sealing oils on your scalp. Think about you will be sealing your scalp causing it to become clogged. A moisturizing oil is best applied to the scalp to help it stimulate growth. Here’s a quick list to help differentiate the two types of oils, and which you should be using when.

Moisturizing Oils: Oils you want to use on your scalp/ and with your leave in conditioners!

Coconut Oil

Coconut oil may be one of the best oils out there for hair care, beauty, and skin care. It has a endless list of benefits and uses. Coconut oil is a naturalist’s best friend! In its unrefined state (extra virgin is best) it is the least processed, and is actually both a moisturizer and a sealant (WHAT!) Well coconut oil is capable of penetrating the shaft due to its molecular structure, but in limited amounts. Because of these limits most of the oil stays on the outside of the hair (acting as a sealant) The most optimal time to use coconut oil as a moisturizer is in the presence of water or a water based leave in conditioner.

Babassu Oil

Babassu Oil is also a similar story to coconut oil. The molecular structure of this oil is most similar to coconut oil and may in most cases works better for certain hair types and women with differing porosity in their hair. Babassu oil can penetrate the shaft of the hair ,and is much lighter than coconut oil therefore does not leave a heavy greasy feeling/film on your hair. Most of my Babassu oil uses comes during deep conditioning so I use it more so for a moisturizer in addition to my water based deep conditioner instead of using it to seal my ends or hair during the LOC method.

Olive Oil

Another 2 for one oil is Extra Virgin Olive Oil that is known to penetrate the hair shaft and moisturizing the hair/scalp. As with coconut oil and Babassu oil to get the best moisturizing effect you must use it in conjunction with water or a leave in that is water based. Olive oil is also great for moisturizing when used in your deep conditioner as it increases shine and manageability of your strands. I’ve been using olive oil in my hair regimen from my transitioning days and it has never let me down. Plus it is fairly inexpensive and easy to find!

Avocado Oil

Avocado oil has large amounts of essential vitamins and nutrients that are able to penetrate through the shaft of the hair. This oil also helps to increase growth stimulation if used on a regular basis. I haven’t had the chance to use avocado oil in my regimen yet but I used actual avocados in my pre-poo for almost a year. I was always pleased with the results, just not pleased with the mess.

Sealing Oils: Oils that do not penetrate the shaft of the hair and are best used to loc in moisture to your strands.

Jamaican Black Castor Oil

It is no surprise that JBCO makes the list as one of the best sealing oils a naturalista can use. JBCO helps to soften the hair while drawing out toxins/impurities that prevent hair growth. Because this oil is extremity thick it is a great sealant for thicker textures especially.

Grape seed Oil

Grapeseed oil is fairly new in my arsenal as I found it in Trader Joes for fairly cheap. This oil is extremely light and possesses an ability to with stand high amounts of heat. This makes it best for women with finer/ thinner strands that want to seal in the moisture for their ends without being weighed down or greasy/oily.

Jojoba Oil

Jojoba oil is a bit pricier than the oils mentioned above so I don’t dabble in it too much. However Jojoba most closely resembles the natural hair sebum our body produces naturally. It is a fairly light oil that is most effective in sealing in the moisture added during wash day or other hair regimen activities. Jojoba is also very good for people suffering with dry or flaky scalps as it helps to restore the proper pH to your hair.

Which is your favorite oil to moisturize or seal during your wash day/ hair regimen?

Last edited:

trclemons

• Pre-poo'd twists for 30 minutes under the heat cap with Zero % & CW'd it out.
  • LCO'd with L = Ion Reparative Solutions, C = Oyin Hair Dew & O = Embrace The Natural You Trinity Glaze on length & Keravada Green Tea on scalp.

Aggie

This morning I am:

Prepooing with Hairdrenalin Potion on my scalp and Hemp Seed oil on the length of my hair with a conditioning cap for 30 minutes

Shampooing with Macadamia Natural Oil Moisturizing Shampoo

Deep Conditioning with Keracare Super Reconstructor followed up with NG Mango and Coconut Water Infused Deep Conditioner

Moisturizing with Dudley's PCA Moisture Retainer

Sealing with Bekura Apple and Sorghum Supple Hair Syrup.

GabbyABaby

:flahssssss: :bouncegreen:
Congrats claim WL
Btw love your siggy :lol:

This whole time I thought I responded :drunk:. Thank you!! I guess I'll claim it then lol. And thanks for creating this challenge! I still plan to stay in it until my previously planned end date just to see how long it'll be by then.

Lmao love Claire Huxtable :supergrin:

trclemons

• Pre-poo'd overnight with AVJ spritz.
  • DC'd with Honey's Handmade Tropical Carrots & Coconut Milk Conditioning Cream for 1.5 hours under the heat cap.
  • Scrubbed scalp with CC's Natural Lavender & Chamomile Polish, CW'd with TVO Apple Cleanser, Reconstructed with K. Moore's Growth & Repair, 80% R/O with ACV & SM Black Soap Balancing Conditioner.
  • LCOS'd with L = Ion Reparative Solution, C = Oyin Hair Dew, O = Embrace The Natural You Trinity Glaze, S = Au Naturele 10 n 1 Styling Gelee & HS 10 n 1.