Hair type confusion

melodee

I'm so confused about the hair type classifications (Andre W.) that we refer to often. It seems that many of us have very different opinions. For example, in DeJuan's thread about growth, a conversation started up about Bizzy Bone's hairtype. His pic is on DJ's signature. One person said 3a and another said 2. I was thinking 3a or b. I had seen Juianna Marguilles's hairtype described as 3. But I think many of you would be thinking 2. I think I am a 4 a. But you all may thin differently. Sometimes I'll see someone's pic and I'll think they have 4a hair like mine, only to then see that they've described their hair as 3b or c. I'm so confused that I try not to use Andre's hair type scale anymore. I certainly do not want to offend anyone, it's just that I don't see anything wrong with those whose hair is in any category. Thanks for reading my vent.

Karonica

LOL. Categories 2 and 3 confuse me the most.

Category 4, I think I've got that one done. 4a=coily S pattern, 4b=wavy z pattern. I'm probably wrong though.

melodee

I know DeJuan, it is hard to tell when you're relaxed. Alot of us have been relaxed for so long we don't remember what our hair looked like BC (before chemical).

melodee

Haven't you ever seen someone that you swore had a certain hairtype and they're telling you they don't. I knew a person who SWORE up and down they had loose waves and they really had kinks/coils.

Crysdon

[ QUOTE ]
Haven't you ever seen someone that you swore had a certain hairtype and they're telling you they don't. I knew a person who SWORE up and down they had loose waves and they really had kinks/coils.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people think they magically turn into a 2C when they get a relaxer.

skegeesmb

When you relax, don't you usually relax it to 1? Or if you texturize it you are relaxing it to be another hair type? For instance, when I had a relaxer, I relaxed my hair to a type 1. I think that Bizzy Bone is a 3B or C. Type 2 hair seems wavy, not curly at all.

Victorian

old head
BC!

I decided on 4a based on what the majority of my new growth is like, but I'm pretty sure I have varying textures. Near the front it is more like 4b but in the middle and at the nape, when I've gone a really long time without relaxing (like 7 months) the tiny waves that I normally see start to form little spiral coils (they are so fun to play with). So I think I'm mainly 4a, with some 4b.

Victorian

old head
I always thought the hair type that people had under their names was what their NATURAL hair type is. My relaxed hair is type 1 but that's the point of the relaxer, right? A texturizer leaves some degree of wave or curl, so a 2 or 3.

Crysdon

[ QUOTE ]
When you relax, don't you usually relax it to 1? Or if you texturize it you are relaxing it to be another hair type? For instance, when I had a relaxer, I relaxed my hair to a type 1. I think that Bizzy Bone is a 3B or C. Type 2 hair seems wavy, not curly at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi skegeesmb,

I think what the original poster is trying to say is that a lot of people are confused by their natural hair type because they've been relaxed so long.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think a relaxer can change your hair type because you basically have the same texture, only straighter after the relaxer.

myco

I think it's a question of semantics. Yes, it is a texture change because relaxers rearrange the bonds in your hair, so that your hair will have a different appearance (going from curly/wavy/kinki to straight or looser waves). You still have 4 hair, but it has the same "styling number" as a 1, 2, 3 depending on the length of processing. But, a relaxer isn't designed to change the genetic programming of unprocessed hair that will come out of your scalp.

Relaxing hair is a world unto itself. If a natural 2 and a natural 4 both relax their hair, you can still tell which is which, in my opinion. So I think each category has a subset of possible "looks" when relaxed.

Deja357

I have NO idea what my hair type is. You are welcome to look at my site and tell me what you think it is... When I get a relaxer..I like a little bit of wave...I don't know if they have a relaxer that does that so I can have more versatility... I think I may be in the 3s...naturally....

www.alicianj.20m.com

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To me it seems like on this board it's the opposite I see people who say they're 4s and I'm thinking if you're a 4 then I'm a 6!

skegeesmb

Oh. I didn't mean that most people relaxed their hair to a 1, but that you will get a different texture other than your natural hair.

I couldn't tell what my hair was when I was relaxed becaue I had my relaxed hair pulling my hair texture.

I understand the premise that your natural hairtype is one thing no matter how straight your relax it. But I'm not too clear on the original response. I read the post to mean that the poster looks at hairtypes and doesn't see the hairtype the person thinks they are(i.e saying you are a 2 when you are definately a 4). But then again, I don't know.

ComfortablyNumb

Yes, can you all please tell me what type Bizzy's hair is? My hair looks like that. I was thinking I was 3b/3c. Am i right on the money?

I know alot of people in denial as well. This one girl was growing out her relaxer and she kept telling me how her curls are looser than mine (like I care). Well, after about 5 months she had pretty curls underneath her hair but they were about the size of pen springs (mine are about the size of those fat kindergarten pencils). Someone called her out on it and she quickly got a perm! I was like, um dawg, it ain't that serious! Her hair was tighter curls/coils but still looked better than mine, lol. And then there's my boyfriend who has curls about the size of pen spring, too (is that 4a?) and he talks about how his hair used to lay down like my "kitchen" when his hair was shorter and claims that you can't tell he has good hair anymore now that he has braids. Sometimes I want to clock him but it's all cool.

soslychic

[/ QUOTE ]

To me it seems like on this board it's the opposite I see people who say they're 4s and I'm thinking if you're a 4 then I'm a 6!

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Confuses me too. I definitely am confused about my daughter she has natural waves all over and alot of curls in the middle. I know that I am a 4.

blkvetteblack

Is there another site for hair typing besides this board and the napptural site? I have done search afer search and have come up with zippo. I too am VERY CONFUSED about my hair type

Cleo

Deja your hair looks really healthy! From your close up pick I would say that you are 4a or b. Keep up the good work.

Dejuan42

well the last time i said something about hair types people got upset lol. Im still skeptical about a african american having natural type 1 hair never using a perm. If that person is out there he or she need to be on television. Notice on that example of type 1 she wasnt black. I know everyone dont agree with my opinion but i still dont believe it. I think its more got to do with the thickness of the hair shaft that people be coming up with these Hair types

Nacai23

[ QUOTE ]
I think its more got to do with the thickness of the hair shaft that people be coming up with these Hair types

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, not really. A person with type 1 can have extra thick, coarse hair, their hair is still straight. Some of my asians associates I know have this kind of hair. There are also type 4's with fine/thin hair, so on and so forth.